ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire to Florida

Well what I was getting at is if they voted to have this rule changed a few years back not sure why they'd vote to change it back now. If the commissioner just kinda made the decision on his own without their input then that would be one thing.

Mac can be mad, and I get it, but the reason we can't take a grad player isn't because teams are ganging up on us or whatever...we didn't handle business. Nobody but himself and his staff to blame. If I was the other coaches I wouldn't vote to change it either. Googled around and looks like we're the only SEC team that can't take a grad transfer this year because of Halter and Harrell not making any progress towards getting a degree. But like I said it's probably best to have all the conferences on the same page going forward so I get it from that standpoint but seems kinda whiny on our part to act like everybody needs to change the rule to help us out when we didn't hold up our end of the bargain.

Well it was 5 years originally. My guess is they barely get enough votes to reduce it to 1 year so they can still say there is some penalty there. I would do away with it altogether myself.

Well it was 5 years originally. My guess is they barely get enough votes to reduce it to 1 year so they can still say there is some penalty there. I would do away with it altogether myself.

Just checked and the rule was supposed to be 3 years. So if you brought in a grad transfer and they didn't graduate or meet certain benchmarks you couldn't take another one for 3 years. So if they reduce it 1 year then you can't take one for two years.

SoI gotta assume we know for sure Zaire gets in with the reduction because Halter was in 2015 and that Harrell player was last year I believe. So still looks like we'd be one year out from taking another one. But maybe there's some loophole or something idk.

Guys, remember that Shane Matthews was a 5th string quarterback at one time. Let's just see how all this drama plays out.

"What you are constantly trying to do is enhance each position group no matter what that is. Competition breeds quality." -- Jim McElwain

In that case, both Franks and Trask were apparently sterile eggs that were left in the sand for the sun to incubate, (their Fr Season) and then both hatched out totally incompetent (their rsFr season). While Toney and Allen are both slow learners that arrived at UF this year (one early, one Summer-A) on the short bus....:confused:
---------

"If we have rules in the SEC that are different than the rules that we are playing against, I don't know what we're trying to prove,'' McElwain said.

So, under this logic train, the SEC should also return to just 10 teams with no conference championship game???
Leaders or Followers, and when you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.... o_O

Just checked and the rule was supposed to be 3 years. So if you brought in a grad transfer and they didn't graduate or meet certain benchmarks you couldn't take another one for 3 years. So if they reduce it 1 year then you can't take one for two years.

SoI gotta assume we know for sure Zaire gets in with the reduction because Halter was in 2015 and that Harrell player was last year I believe. So still looks like we'd be one year out from taking another one. But maybe there's some loophole or something idk.

No the penalty might be reduced to 1 year only meaning we can take Zaire. It started out at 5 years originally in the SEC and was reduced later to 3 years.

Stoops is trying to screw us also on the grad transfer stuff.

Last edited:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/saban-gets-heated-asked-graduate-transfers-sec-spring-meetings/

“What is the intent of the rule to start with? I think the intent of the rule to start with was the fact that somebody was changing schools for academic reasons,” Saban said. “That was the intent of the rule as I understood it. That’s why we allowed people to transfer to other places. Now, that doesn’t matter. So that’s not the intent of the rule anymore. I’ve never been in favor of free agency before in our league, I don’t think that’s a good thing, I don’t think I’ll ever be for it.

“I think we would benefit, we would benefit as much as anyone in our league if you said you could transfer (without having to be concerned with academics.) Kentucky’s got a good player, we’ll go see if we can get him to come to Alabama. Why would we want that? Why do we need that? How does that help the integrity of what we are trying to do as a conference or a league? I’m not for free agency in our conference.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screw Saban - he says that because they get all the players they need and have to even run some blue chippers off because they over sign. I don't think most of the other West schools will go along with Bama on this.

The Saturday Down South article was a little unclear on Saban's quote. He was commenting on straight transfers among SEC schools, not grad transfers. He was commenting on d-back Maurice Smith being granted a waiver to transfer to UGA and play immediately. He actually supports easing the grad transfer restriction. Sounds like changing that rule is pretty much a done deal.

The Saturday Down South article was a little unclear on Saban's quote. He was commenting on straight transfers among SEC schools, not grad transfers. He was commenting on d-back Maurice Smith being granted a waiver to transfer to UGA and play immediately. He actually supports easing the grad transfer restriction. Sounds like changing that rule is pretty much a done deal.

Yep he clarified it also and just doesn't want grads to be able to go to other SEC schools.

Some people seem to think the NCAA would give Zaire an extra year if he petitions for it due to that early season ending injury meaning he would be a possibility for 2018 also. Not sure what the NCAA would do or what the rules are on that with his situation. He acts like this is his last season.

Anyone that thinks we don't need some of this back in our life offensively is insane

The concern isn't about Zaire as much as it is the OC. Maybe it's just hopeful wishing at this point but I still don't know what makes anybody think these guys are changing their offense to use a QB like that. Nuss had Devin Gardner at Michigan...offense was trash and he didn't use his legs. Grier was a slippery runner with moves...we called maybe 5 designed QB runs in 6 games. When Treon started...they told him NOT to run. Idk why watching Zaire in a spread offense built around what he does well is supposed to make me feel good about watching him in this offense. He's a career sub 50% passer who NEEDS the run to open up his passing and these coaches refuse to call a game that way. Hell Appleby was a decent runner as well, same exact thing. I think he had one designed run the whole year. Y'all will see soon enough and then everybody is gonna blame the QB again.

The concern isn't about Zaire as much as it is the OC. Maybe it's just hopeful wishing at this point but I still don't know what makes anybody think these guys are changing their offense to use a QB like that. Nuss had Devin Gardner at Michigan...offense was trash and he didn't use his legs. Grier was a slippery runner with moves...we called maybe 5 designed QB runs in 6 games. When Treon started...they told him NOT to run. Idk why watching Zaire in a spread offense built around what he does well is supposed to make me feel good about watching him in this offense. He's a career sub 50% passer who NEEDS the run to open up his passing and these coaches refuse to call a game that way. Hell Appleby was a decent runner as well, same exact thing. I think he had one designed run the whole year. Y'all will see soon enough and then everybody is gonna blame the QB again.

I literally cannot conceive of them being so stupid as to bring this guy in and not change the offense to take advantage of his running. But after reading your post... I am now wondering if it is a possibility. Devin Gardner!? What was that about? It was like motioning a receiver to take the snap and then having him throw from the pocket.

I literally cannot conceive of them being so stupid as to bring this guy in and not change the offense to take advantage of his running. But after reading your post... I am now wondering if it is a possibility. Devin Gardner!? What was that about? It was like motioning a receiver to take the snap and then having him throw from the pocket.

Exactly. And like I also mentioned Grier was a good runner too, 4.6 guy who rushed for 1k in HS, same damn thing. They restricted Treon to the pocket too. They simply do not want to call a game the way its going to take for somebody like Zaire to be successful. Remember "we aren't changing our system for one guy." That was their words. Now everybody is all hyped to literally do the same thing again, makes zero sense. If you told me Zaire was coming here with a different OC I'd pay for the damn ticket and be celebrating in this street. With Nuss? Man please, this has disaster written all over it. Especially with all of 3 months to learn this playbook that is apparently so complicated nobody can master it unless they're 30.

Reactions: seffnergator
Sounds like its in the college presidents hands now. Not sure if they approve or deny a change tomorrow or not.

Yesssssssssss!!!!!

He will probably announce later today I would think.

I think he is good for an extra win or two and might lead us to a 9-3 record possibly. Franks could possibly start game 1 but I have a feeling Zaire might take over after that if he did.

He will probably announce later today I would think.

I think he is good for an extra win or two and might lead us to a 9-3 record possibly. Franks could possibly start game 1 but I have a feeling Zaire might take over after that if he did.

I'd be hoping for 10-2 or 11-1 for this move. If you're gonna lose 3-4 games anyway with a stopgap QB you can lose that same amount with QB's who have years in the program and could use the experience.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens now...6 QB's on the roster. I don't see how you get 4 of them reps much less 6...some people are gonna be leaving I'm betting.

I'd be hoping for 10-2 or 11-1 for this move. If you're gonna lose 3-4 games anyway with a stopgap QB you can lose that same amount with QB's who have years in the program and could use the experience.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens now...6 QB's on the roster. I don't see how you get 4 of them reps much less 6...some people are gonna be leaving I'm betting.

If Zaire is going to be the starter for game one I could see Franks possibly leaving especially if he thinks Fields may end up here. I don't see Trask or LDR making a move. I wonder if Toney may switch positions sometime this year.

If Zaire is going to be the starter for game one I could see Franks possibly leaving especially if he thinks Fields may end up here. I don't see Trask or LDR making a move. I wonder if Toney may switch positions sometime this year.

Something like that gotta happen. Usually you have the top 2 QB's get all the reps then you might have a third on scout team. Sometimes the fourth might get scout team reps too. We have 6, I don't see where the reps are coming from at all. Especially when you consider all of them but LDR are young and need reps. Or in Zaire's case, needs reps to get caught up on the playbook.

Reactions: Gator Fever

Only thing about Toney switching positions is he is the next best suited for an offense Zaire would do well in. I suppose that assumes we are going to adapt our offense to suit him

Only thing about Toney switching positions is he is the next best suited for an offense Zaire would do well in. I suppose that assumes we are going to adapt our offense to suit him

Nuss better or he will be gone for sure after this season. With little time they may just change it some mostly for Zaire's reps.

I see our fans saying he won't start lol, why go through all this bama/auburn rule bending not to? If driskel jr starts that michigan game and digs us in a hole where it's too late the season is literally already ruined if they wait to let Zaire come in and have to save the day, we can't get away with doing what bama did like that against USC in the first game in Dallas last year...

I see our fans saying he won't start lol, why go through all this bama/auburn rule bending not to? If driskel jr starts that michigan game and digs us in a hole where it's too late the season is literally already ruined if they wait to let Zaire come in and have to save the day, we can't get away with doing what bama did like that against USC in the first game in Dallas last year...

I am sure they hope he can. I don't think they have much confidence in Franks at all. If Zaire isn't quite up to speed in time they might put Franks out there knowing they can replace him if he plays poorly against Michigan. I hope Zaire is smart enough to be ready to go against Michigan.

Matt Baker

✔@MBakerTBTimes

#Gators HC Jim McElwain: “Yeah, our phone has been ringing off the hook this afternoon. There is a lot of interest in the Gators.”

2:58 PM - 2 Jun 2017

we need some production from a QB like this and change the offense for the future, winning with this would get more interest from top athletic QB's in the coming cycles too to finally actually get them to want to come here and play again...

Sure it could mean that no current QB on the roster has the faith of the staff...or it could mean we are like every other major college program and getting quality depth and competition at the position..

I think UF coaches do not know .. a guess maybe but do not know. Dude could be lights out like in 2015 in 4-6 weeks or really rusty at first and take 3-4 months to get rollin.

I am sure they hope he can. I don't think they have much confidence in Franks at all.

Matt Baker

I agree they do not have much confidence in Franks or they would not have accepted Zaire . agreed

However, they may feel really good about Franks .. like what they have seen in Franks so far and still signed Zaire if like you said he is not consistant enough that they are confident. Not sure this says Franks wont start as much as it states Zaire will be in the competition.

I don't see any way Malik doesn't start, and even if he doesn't at first, he will end up being soon once the season starts.. I mean lets get real, it doesn't take shit for a guy to come in to UF and win the starting position if he's talented, even Appleby ended up our starter for many games and he's absolutely awful.. It's exactly why Zaire wanted to come here, and exactly why our staff wanted to bend rules and go all out to get his ass here...It's very obvious what's taken place here

I don't see any way Malik doesn't start, and even if he doesn't at first, he will end up being soon once the season starts.. I mean lets get real, it doesn't take shit for a guy to come in to UF and win the starting position if he's talented, even Appleby ended up our starter for many games and he's absolutely awful.. It's exactly why Zaire wanted to come here, and exactly why our staff wanted to bend rules and go all out to get his ass here...It's very obvious what's taken place here

I think you are probably right. I don't see them pursuing Zaire that hard if they had confidence in Franks now.

There's no way they would be going after a guy this hard if the ones they already had were ready to go for sure, they have no college experience or snaps, ZERO snaps.. and we play one of the better defensive game planners and staffs the very first game in a big time atmosphere, we will have to have Zaire in one of those sloppy defense ahead of the offense type first games... Zaire is a program changer type guy, if he's just decent, as iv'e said til im dog sick and blue in the f'in face for 8 years, with our defense and with Randy calling the plays (thank GOD that absolute bum collins hitched a ride to failure somewhere else and wasting our time and talent), just an average QB will put us in Championship contention.. I mean christ we have been playing for a Championship the last two years with straight up embarrassments at QB for any school much less the University of Florida, but we had less than ZERO chance to win once we got there... With a QB like this and his natural talent, arm and skill level set, we can have a chance to win every single game on the schedule.. IF he's learned anything which most guys do from being hurt, maturing and getting older from more time in the film room as a Quarterback in football, he could really do something for us.. IF we have a QB that can just throw for about 200 yards and one or two TD's a game and protect the damn ball, we win football games.. Much less use their legs when needed to keep the chains moving when things break down, and use that to open up the pass more and play action...Zaire will be just fine and has plenty of weapons and legs to spread and move the ball down the field for us to win football games and compete for something bigger again finally, im really glad we finally sealed this deal and got it for sure and taken care of.. I have no idea why our fans are all following the leader with their casual ass fan take on this situation, the scenario makes us winners right away just like Auburn.. But somehow people have way more faith in them and have them projected for competing seriously in the west and for a playoff spot lol... Our defense alone with some decent offense puts us right there and above them, much less our favorable schedule and home slate... If he gets the starting spot we will be fine, if not then he must really suck or can't stay healthy, that's what im worried about with our damn luck, one OLB blitz off the edge or someone in a 3 technique blowing by one of our OL and getting him killed in one snap for the year...

insta doesn't like black tebow because he's not white...

Zaire to Tebow comparisons are a silly joke. :rolleyes:
Don't go there or you'll only look even more stupid than is usual for you. o_O

And I supported Leak over Tebow, proving your point,,, :cool:
(proving your pointed head anyway) :confused:

Thank gawd that UF is a top quality All Sports Institution with other sports that have great coaching staffs.... :cool:

Yea people are just bending over backwards to ignore the obvious. I keep seeing people talk about depth and competition and all this other BS yet they can't provide one example of a grad transfer going somewhere to be a backup. Now they may end up a backup down the line but that's not the original intent, they're transferring exactly because they wanna play somewhere. If they didn't want to start they could have just stayed where they were at. Same thing with the belief that it doesn't mean the QB's on campus aren't good. What coach with a brain would choose a 1 year stop gap over 2-3 years of stability at the position if he didn't feel the stop gap was the best option? It's just common sense. So yea if it's they're going all out for a stop gap it likely means they don't have a QB worth a damn on campus.

Now considering who is making the decision you might take all that with a grain of salt, like I am, because I have less than zero faith they even know what a good QB looks like. But that's a discussion for another day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT