ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire to Florida

Denial. Between this and the word of the all out push for Fields in the next class it is looking more and more like his boys Trask and Allen may not be as much in the picture.

I just don't think it's the end of the world scenario that so many seem to interpret it to be.

I just don't think it's the end of the world scenario that so many seem to interpret it to be.
What you said.

Sure it could mean that no current QB on the roster has the faith of the staff...or it could mean we are like every other major college program and getting quality depth and competition at the position.

I mean when we had Tebow, we recruited Brantley, Newton, and a JUCO (Waggner I believe was his name) and that didn't mean the coaches didn't have faith in Tebow.

This does however look like a change in offensive philosophy though. The use of a duel threat QB.

It will be an interesting scenario to see.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out for game 1. I really think Mac wants to avoid putting Franks out there as the starter in his first game against Michigan so it isn't out of the question we see LDR start game 1 if he is healthy going into camp since Zaire will only have a few weeks of practice to get ready for a new system. That would also leave Mac the QB change to make when the fans are going crazy if LDR plays bad.

What you said.

Sure it could mean that no current QB on the roster has the faith of the staff...or it could mean we are like every other major college program and getting quality depth and competition at the position.

I mean when we had Tebow, we recruited Brantley, Newton, and a JUCO (Waggner I believe was his name) and that didn't mean the coaches didn't have faith in Tebow.

This does however look like a change in offensive philosophy though. The use of a duel threat QB.

That's not really a one to one comparison at all though. You keep bringing in recruits (top ones hopefully) to train them in your system and have them ready down the road. Bringing in a one year stop gap is nothing like that, especially when you already have younger recruits you've been developing. I feel like people are bending over backwars to ignore the obvious....if they had any faith in who was already here they wouldn't be trying to bring in a guy three months before the season to start. And Zaire ain't coming here for 'depth' either when he could have gone to a whole bunch of other places and started. If he was content to be a backup he would have stayed at ND. Let's just call it what it is and stop tip toeing around it.

For everybody's sake I hope it works out. Otherwise we'll have wasted valuable game reps on a guy who isn't part of the future and then we're back doing the same bullshit again next year. Still baffles me why people are excited about a 6'0 dual threat QB who's never played in anything but a spread offense when we have a group of coaches who know zero about coaching that type of QB and the last time they had a similar QB to that spent 7 games telling everybody how that type of QB didn't fit their system. Now two years later I guess they're gonna overhaul they're system two months before the season. Seems legit.

What you said.

Why is this so hard for people to see? From the way he talked while announcing the NC game on SECN to the desire for Zaire to the all out push for Fields and the fact offers have gone out to many DT guys, its more than obvious an offensive change IS coming. Have been saying it for months. Mac is smart enough to look around and see whats going on. Now it will be interesting to see if Nuss can learn a new system, but my guess is its been in the works since the end of last season. Now what does this mean for Franks, Trask and Allen? Probably not good for them, but its getting increasingly hard to find schools running a pocket, multiple read passing game anymore. Hell even Harbaugh and Saban are recruiting top DT QBs. Look at the top teams coming in to next year, OSU, PSU, Bama, FSU, all have QBs with the ability to run. Game has changed, thankful we are adjusting

Reactions: Gator Fever
IF they're making that change then I welcome it and am cool with giving them time to make the adjustment, but Nuss gotta go. He's not the guy to be relying on for any innovation. Hell he was OC for Bama when they won a title and when Saban wanted to be more dynamic he gave him the 'it's not you it's me' speech. Not even enough confidence to have him hang on and give him a chance to implement the change. If that ain't telling.

Depth at that position is a good thing. We would all like a guy that can play for multiple seasons, but the team has been snake bit at qb for some reason. If the offense is changing it could be a good thing. Hate it for the guys that have bought in, but the O has to evolve into something different.

I'm just so fatigued by all of the QB BS that's been slung around since Tebow came to UF. :confused:

The Spread works in HS, but it won't work in the SEC. :rolleyes:

Tebow 88 TD's to 16 Ints with an SEC Record PER, and Sugar Bowl Passing Records.
The Spread was proven by Tebow in the SEC, but it won't work in the NFL. :rolleyes:

The Spread was proven by Tebow's winning record and NFL Playoff win for a team that was 4-10 with a 7-8 year veteran NFL QB in the same 2 years. Done even with an idiot team coach (later fired) and Saint El'-Dimway team manager that had zero experience with a dual thread, spread offense QB. :oops:

Tebow was then chitted by the NFL, but sCam Newton was then hired and paraded around like he was solid gold, after treating Tebow like he was chopped liver. :mad:
And somehow, a disgraced dog figher DT-QB was still good for the NFL game. :rolleyes:

Now UF is supposedly looking for a DT-QB that's 6-0 225 and coming back from a broken ankle, when they already have a 'very accurate' passing QB that's 6-4 238 4.6/40 on the roster, with 4 more years of availability. (btw - Tebow 6-3 230 4.7/40)

PLUS:
Kadarius Toney 5-11 180 with blazing speed at wildcat.
Jake Allen 6-3 210 with a great arm and good mobility.
~ Playing them together makes more sense than Zaire imo.

So I know, let's just waste yet another year of development on yet another Grad-Sr xfer...

Note: IF the coaches bet their Gator futures on a nuttless reject, then imoho, they will be proven to deserve what happens to them shorty afterwards... :cool:

I'm just so fatigued by all of the QB BS that's been slung around since Tebow came to UF. :confused:

Tebow 88 TD's to 16 Ints with an SEC Record PER, and Sugar Bowl Passing Records.
The Spread was proven by Tebow in the SEC, but it won't work in the NFL. :rolleyes:

The Spread was proven by Tebow's winning record and NFL Playoff win for a team that was 4-10 with a 7-8 year veteran NFL QB in the same 2 years. Done even with an idiot team coach (later fired) and Saint El'-Dimway team manager that had zero experience with a dual thread, spread offense QB. :oops:

Tebow was then chitted by the NFL, but sCam Newton was then hired and paraded around like he was solid gold, after treating Tebow like he was chopped liver. :mad:
And somehow, a disgraced dog figher DT-QB was still good for the NFL game. :rolleyes:

Now UF is supposedly looking for a DT-QB that's 6-0 225 and coming back from a broken ankle, when they already have a 'very accurate' passing QB that's 6-4 238 4.6/40 on the roster, with 4 more years of availability. (btw - Tebow 6-3 230 4.7/40)

PLUS:

So I know, let's just waste yet another year of development on yet another Grad-Sr xfer...

Note: IF the coaches bet their Gator futures on a nuttless reject, then imoho, they will be proven to deserve what happens to them shorty afterwards... :cool:

Why is it that a transfer is a "nutless reject?"

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Why is it that a transfer is a "nutless reject?"

You never seem able to keep up with the intricacy's of a conversations, but that's never stopped you from posting your constant stupidity anyway... :rolleyes:

A Neutered Lame (ND) (not North Dakota) QB that lost his starting dual threat QB job by getting a broken ankle, and then unable to win it back after he recovered from the injury = 'nuttless reject' o_O

Now, do I also need to explain to you why I refer to you as dunny-goater? :cool:

Last edited:

PLUS:

This post really covers a lot of ground.

You never seem able to keep up with the intricacy's of a conversations, but that's never stopped you from posting your constant stupidity anyway... :rolleyes:

A Neutered Lame (ND) (not North Dakota) QB that lost his starting dual threat QB job by getting a broken ankle, and then unable to win it back after he recovered from the injury = 'nuttless reject' o_O

Now, do I also need to explain to you why I refer to you as dunny-goater? :cool:

I simply disagree with your over the top analysis.

Let's not forget he lost the starting job, while injured, to a guy that just got drafted in the 2nd round to be a potential franchise QB.

PLUS:

Tebow shoukd be somewhere in the NFL but Cam is much better than Tim in the NFL. In college, thats a tough one. I consider tebow one of the top 5 most dominant college players of all time. However, Cam literally won a national title by himself. It was one of the greatest single season percormances of all time. NFL big edge to Cam, college, i still gotta give the slight edge to tebow. He was just too good

Is it becuz he was always thinking he was funny?

I'm definitely not sold on the ones I've seen. TBD on Zaire for me.

Thomas ........ added,

Devils Advocate@JayyRoCK510
Replying to @Thomas........
You must really hate the current QBs
1f622.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If the pumpers are being allowed to say stuff publicly like this now what does it say. If they weren't given the go ahead from the head people then we might see some sanctions on coverage coming. lol

Tebow shoukd be somewhere in the NFL but Cam is much better than Tim in the NFL. In college, thats a tough one. I consider tebow one of the top 5 most dominant college players of all time. However, Cam literally won a national title by himself. It was one of the greatest single season percormances of all time. NFL big edge to Cam, college, i still gotta give the slight edge to tebow. He was just too good

What you believe and what your opinion is, is whatever ...
Just don't ever subject either college or pro stats for both of them to a head to head comparison. Leave it in the 'opinion' column and you'll be fine.... ;)
===========

sCam couldn't unseat Tebow at UF for the starting job, with a pretty good coaching staff evaluating them both.

And you're claiming that those other 84 ships on the Auburn roster were all asleep on the bench while sCam was out on the field, single handedly winning the games??? :confused:

For their college stat comparisons - Comp%, PER, TD to Int, and final game Sugar Bowl stats will do... Tebow's Heisman while breaking the NCAA season 20/20 TD Barrier (P-33 -- R-23).

And if you do make any Pro comparisons, just be sure to use their first 16 NFL starts, while keeping in mind that Tim's were split season starts, for a team that was 4-14 with a 7-8 year vet QB, and he had a players strike in between those first 2 season to rob him of any off season progression, plus he had an OC change thrown in for good measure.

>>> Trust me, keep your delusions intact, by not comparing their stats.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/saban-gets-heated-asked-graduate-transfers-sec-spring-meetings/

“What is the intent of the rule to start with? I think the intent of the rule to start with was the fact that somebody was changing schools for academic reasons,” Saban said. “That was the intent of the rule as I understood it. That’s why we allowed people to transfer to other places. Now, that doesn’t matter. So that’s not the intent of the rule anymore. I’ve never been in favor of free agency before in our league, I don’t think that’s a good thing, I don’t think I’ll ever be for it.

“I think we would benefit, we would benefit as much as anyone in our league if you said you could transfer (without having to be concerned with academics.) Kentucky’s got a good player, we’ll go see if we can get him to come to Alabama. Why would we want that? Why do we need that? How does that help the integrity of what we are trying to do as a conference or a league? I’m not for free agency in our conference.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screw Saban - he says that because they get all the players they need and have to even run some blue chippers off because they over sign. I don't think most of the other West schools will go along with Bama on this.

Take away how you feel about the Zaire situation, and objectively he's right. The whole point of a grad transfer is to give players who got their academics in order to an option go to another school and play if they can get into a grad school. If that doesn't matter then he's right its basically free agency. And it's not like it would hurt him, like he said he could just raid lesser programs of their best players. Saban ain't the issue here, if we'd have had our grad transfers actually get into a program and graduated like they were supposed to we wouldn't even need a rule change...we can't take a grad transfer because we effed up. Be mad at the right people.

I agree with Smart who just said the conference shouldn't be punished compared to other conferences on the rule. I bet Auburn and LSU are for changing it also. It takes an 8-6 vote I think to change it.

It appears Butch Jones is trying to screw us.

Last edited:
I agree the rule should be the same across all conferences. But also agree with Saban on the bigger issue it might cause.

What you believe and what your opinion is, is whatever ...
Just don't ever subject either college or pro stats for both of them to a head to head comparison. Leave it in the 'opinion' column and you'll be fine.... ;)
===========

sCam couldn't unseat Tebow at UF for the starting job, with a pretty good coaching staff evaluating them both.

And you're claiming that those other 84 ships on the Auburn roster were all asleep on the bench while sCam was out on the field, single handedly winning the games??? :confused:

For their college stat comparisons - Comp%, PER, TD to Int, and final game Sugar Bowl stats will do... Tebow's Heisman while breaking the NCAA season 20/20 TD Barrier (P-33 -- R-23).

And if you do make any Pro comparisons, just be sure to use their first 16 NFL starts, while keeping in mind that Tim's were split season starts, for a team that was 4-14 with a 7-8 year vet QB, and he had a players strike in between those first 2 season to rob him of any off season progression, plus he had an OC change thrown in for good measure.

>>> Trust me, keep your delusions intact, by not comparing their stats.

As steve spurrier once so delicately put it. Stats are for losers. Tims team at UF is a top 10 team of all time. Had ridiculous talent. Playmakers everywhere. Auburn had a 4 win season. After he left or 3 win or something like that and they didnt lose a whole lot. Anytime someone brings up "stats" i mmediately assume they dont know that much about football. Is texas tech qb the best qb becuz he three for the most yds? No. I think tim was better in college but cam was better in the nfl. Cam was the better passer so naturallys he is better in the nfl. Tim was the better runner so naturallys he was better in college

I agree the rule should be the same across all conferences. But also agree with Saban on the bigger issue it might cause.

Free agency is a little bit of a stretch, because at a minimum it's limited to players who graduate. The pool of players who are good enough to make a difference in the SEC and who graduate from somewhere without going pro is going to be pretty limited. If we could recruit or coach up a qb, we wouldn't even be in the market for Zaire. That said, if our past grad transfers didn't do what they were supposed to, and that disqualifies us now, then we can't cry about it if the rest of the league doesn't want to bail us out.

When I first heard about this, I thought it was just an SEC issue. I didn't realize we were dq'd. The fact that we're willing to jump through all of these hoops to add a guy who has been a pretty marginal starting qb definitely does not speak well for the guys currently on the roster.

I think it hasn't much more to do with Mac's mentality.

I guess honk he wants as many QBs as possible to give him a chance.

Why? Because I don't believe he WANTS to play young guys (I.e. Less than a true junior).

I don't necessarily like it, but I think the last several years (including Mac's first year) has shown us that not having enough options at QB is apparently pretty bad.

I simply don't think it's a condemnation of the guys on roster, nor do I think it's an dictation on his ability to coach the position.

I think it's personal preference, and I'm willing to watch it play out.

That said...if it's bad, and he won't give one of the younger guys the job, we're trouble, whether it's due to coaching stubborness or poor evaluation/coaching of the recruits.

Reactions: oozie7
Free agency is a little bit of a stretch, because at a minimum it's limited to players who graduate. The pool of players who are good enough to make a difference in the SEC and who graduate from somewhere without going pro is going to be pretty limited. If we could recruit or coach up a qb, we wouldn't even be in the market for Zaire. That said, if our past grad transfers didn't do what they were supposed to, and that disqualifies us now, then we can't cry about it if the rest of the league doesn't want to bail us out.

When I first heard about this, I thought it was just an SEC issue. I didn't realize we were dq'd. The fact that we're willing to jump through all of these hoops to add a guy who has been a pretty marginal starting qb definitely does not speak well for the guys currently on the roster.

Well you have to look further out. The rule is really for anybody who graduates early. So if somebody can graduate in 2-3 years they can do the same thing too. And to his point once coaches like him know what the deal is they can just go poach a Kentucky or Vanderbilt upperclassmen for depth in years where they might be shallow. I agree with you though we didn't do what we were supposed to do so I can't be mad at other schools if they don't wanna bail us out. And also agree with you about what it means. We're trying to go through all these hoops for a very average dude, this isn't Russ Wilson, so yea probably not a good sign.

I think it hasn't much more to do with Mac's mentality.

I guess honk he wants as many QBs as possible to give him a chance.

Why? Because I don't believe he WANTS to play young guys (I.e. Less than a true junior).

I don't necessarily like it, but I think the last several years (including Mac's first year) has shown us that not having enough options at QB is apparently pretty bad.

I simply don't think it's a condemnation of the guys on roster, nor do I think it's an dictation on his ability to coach the position.

I think it's personal preference, and I'm willing to watch it play out.

That said...if it's bad, and he won't give one of the younger guys the job, we're trouble, whether it's due to coaching stubborness or poor evaluation/coaching of the recruits.

Objectively, it HAS to be a condemnation of the guys on the roster. Coaches value the hell out of stability out of all their roster spots but especially QB. If you have a guy who can lock down that position for the next 2-3 years there isn't a single coach out there who would bypass that for a one year stop gap. That's why even as low as the HS level coaches will say if a younger player is even with an upperclassmen they're playing the younger player because you get him for 2-3 more years to develop.

Everyone keeps saying Zaire is coming here for depth but I literally can't think of a single time a grad transfer QB went somewhere to be a backup. If they're transferring somewhere it's to start so if we're bringing in a grad transfer it's because we don't be see a starter among the group already here. DO agree though there for whatever reason this staff seems to favor upperclassmen no matter how little they aren't they've actually have been have. Remember they pushed for Del Rio to have his one year sit out waved reportedly because they wanted him to start. Which should make anybody do a double take because anybody coach would choose to start LDR over Grier doesn't know kbow wtf they're looking at or doing. But that's a discussion for another day...

Question...didn't the SEC schools vote by majority to have the current rule in place? Or was that the commissioner doing a solo thing?

Question...didn't the SEC schools vote by majority to have the current rule in place? Or was that the commissioner doing a solo thing?

I think it takes a majority vote 8-6 but not sure if a school abstains etc. if a 7-6 vote is good enough. Sanky will go along with what they want but he keeps mentioning that reduction to a 1 year penalty deal.

Mac was pretty strong with his whole statement practically accusing some coaches of not wanting a change to prevent us from getting players. My guess is he was directing that at Butch Jones for his comments.

I think it takes a majority vote 8-6 but not sure if a school abstains etc. if a 7-6 vote is good enough. Sanky will go along with what they want but he keeps mentioning that reduction to a 1 year penalty deal.

Mac was pretty strong with his whole statement practically accusing some coaches of not wanting a change to prevent us from getting players. My guess is he was directing that at Butch Jones for his comments.

Well what I was getting at is if they voted to have this rule changed a few years back not sure why they'd vote to change it back now. If the commissioner just kinda made the decision on his own without their input then that would be one thing.

Mac can be mad, and I get it, but the reason we can't take a grad player isn't because teams are ganging up on us or whatever...we didn't handle business. Nobody but himself and his staff to blame. If I was the other coaches I wouldn't vote to change it either. Googled around and looks like we're the only SEC team that can't take a grad transfer this year because of Halter and Harrell not making any progress towards getting a degree. But like I said it's probably best to have all the conferences on the same page going forward so I get it from that standpoint but seems kinda whiny on our part to act like everybody needs to change the rule to help us out when we didn't hold up our end of the bargain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT