ADVERTISEMENT

UF Men's Basketball Under Todd Golden

I think we will see a lot of 4 guard sets. We certainly have some depth there. Lofton gives us an elite player out of the portal.

Who would you put on the floor off the roster?
I'm just messing around here.

Going BIG
C - Jitoboh 6-11 290
PF - Castleton 6-11 240
SF - Fudge 6-9 194
SG - Reeves 6-6 190
PG - Lofton 6-3 186

Going FAST
C - Castleton 6-11 240
PF - Felder 6-7 240
SF - Reeves 6-6 190
SG - Aberdeen 6-5 180
PG - Lofton 6-3 186

But there are a lot of different ways to put 5 on the floor....
I'd be trying to play 10-12 in every game, but that's me.

Who would you put on the floor off the roster?
I'm just messing around here.

Going BIG
C - Jitoboh 6-11 290
PF - Castleton 6-11 240
SF - Fudge 6-9 194
SG - Reeves 6-6 190
PG - Lofton 6-3 186

Going FAST
C - Castleton 6-11 240
PF - Felder 6-7 240
SF - Reeves 6-6 190
SG - Aberdeen 6-5 180
PG - Lofton 6-3 186

But there are a lot of different ways to put 5 on the floor....
I'd be trying to play 10-12 in every game, but that's me.
Lane played really well down the stretch and if Jones can get his shooting touch consistent tons of depth at the guard spot.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Like I said, I'd be trying to play 10-12 in every game.
The opponent never gets comfortable with who's on the floor.
Being a game starter is a reward for practice performance and work ethic.

How about your chosen 5 for a beginning lineup, cause someone got to get it started...

CC
Felder
Reeves
Lofton
Jones

This is what I'm thinking. Felder can stretch the floor and is a good rebounder. Reeves really showed the 2nd half of the season he's an emerging star. Lofton will be one of the top points in the conference and Jones has the potential to be the best 3 point shooter in the conference. What I like is anyone of them could carry a game. Most teams will need their designated start to carry them. I agree, we should easily go 9-10 deep and look a lot like some of Pearl's auburn teams.

Bruce Pearl in an early morning tourney buffet breakfast line....
"Free <> Bacon -- A Jewish Dilemma..."

The only thing that I ever liked about BP was his off court sense of humor....
I've never paid any attention to him or his teams, except when he was playing the Gators in a game I watched. I'd like to see him tied to the bench and gagged during games....

CC
Felder
Reeves
Lofton
Jones

This is what I'm thinking. Felder can stretch the floor and is a good rebounder. Reeves really showed the 2nd half of the season he's an emerging star. Lofton will be one of the top points in the conference and Jones has the potential to be the best 3 point shooter in the conference. What I like is anyone of them could carry a game. Most teams will need their designated start to carry them. I agree, we should easily go 9-10 deep and look a lot like some of Pearl's auburn teams.

Sorry CG, but in 2021-22, Jones was the worst 3 shooter on the team.

3's shooting % in 2021-22

SF/PF Felder --- 38.9%

PG Appleby ---- 34.2% - Gonzo

SF/PF Duruji --- 33.8% - Gonzo

SG Reeves ----- 33.3%

PG Jones ------ 32.1% <<< (35.5% FG's)

Incoming #4 SG Riley Kugel Fr - 3's - 32.8%

To me, Jones was a way over-rated disappointment last year.
Asts 52 - TO's 43 - 8.5 Pt/Gm

Bruce Pearl in an early morning tourney buffet breakfast line....
"Free <> Bacon -- A Jewish Dilemma..."

The only thing that I ever liked about BP was his off court sense of humor....
I've never paid any attention to him or his teams, except when he was playing the Gators in a game I watched. I'd like to see him tied to the bench and gagged during games....

Sorry CG, but in 2021-22, Jones was the worst 3 shooter on the team.

3's shooting % in 2021-22

SF/PF Felder --- 38.9%

PG Appleby ---- 34.2% - Gonzo

SF/PF Duruji --- 33.8% - Gonzo

SG Reeves ----- 33.3%

PG Jones ------ 32.1% <<< (35.5% FG's)

Incoming #4 SG Riley Kugel Fr - 3's - 32.8%

To me, Jones was a way over-rated disappointment last year.
Asts 52 - TO's 43 - 8.5 Pt/Gm
He certainly struggled at times, but also showed flashes. He's capable of scoring 20+ on a given night. Also can't compare the shooting percentages of an incoming freshman to a college kid as the college line is a foot further.

He certainly struggled at times, but also showed flashes. He's capable of scoring 20+ on a given night. Also can't compare the shooting percentages of an incoming freshman to a college kid as the college line is a foot further.
CG, I compared Jones to his on the floor teammates, and he sucked at the arc overall. INCONSISTENT -- Not dependable shot to shot, or game to game....
You just skip over that and go to the incoming Fr instead.... Why?

I just threw in the incoming Fr SG's HS stats for a reference, but do you think that HS arc foot more is a big deal? Looked like a confetti toss to me....

SG Kugel 6-5 185 **** - in-state SG who brings high-level experience.
Helped Dr. Phillips to its first FL 7A State Championship.
2nd Team FABC All-State honoree in 2022.

Averaged 16.5 Pt's, 4.8 Rb's and 3.2 Ast's his Sr year. (PG stats)
Jones -
Ast's 52 - TO's 43 - 8.5 Pt/Gm

I'm happy that Jones stayed. I'm sure that he'll play.
But so far as a Gator, he's been underwhelming imo.
I still hope that he has a Sr break-out season...

He averaged around 9 points and agree his 3pt shooting was down from his PSU days. But he did get 21 starts and I think we will see some solid improvement year to year. If someone is better and beats him out, then awesome! He would start for several other SEC teams.

3 Pt shooting percentages:

SF/PF CJ Felder ------- 38.9%

PG Trey Bonham ----- 36.9%

SG Kowacie Reeves -- 33.3%

CG Will Richard ------- 32.6%

PG Myreon Jones ----- 32.1%

CG Denzel Averdeen - 31.3%

SF/PF Alex Fudge ----- 28.6%

PG Kyle Lofton -------- 28.2% (career 30.3%, Fr 33.0%, Soph 33.6%)
=====

Both Jones and Lofton's 3's % dropped as they assumed more & better PG duties. So it's better to judge them both on the important career PG Stats, as both are okay, but neither are great from the arc:

Kyle Lofton ---- Ast/Gm 5.2 - TO/Gm 2.4 (2.2 to 1) - Rb's 3.0

Myreon Jones - Ast/Gm 1.7 - TO/Gm 1.1 (1.5 to 1) -- Rb's 2.3

Nothing at all personal, but just going by their career stats:
Jones is a solid
backup at PG, or as a SG.

Last edited:
3 Pt shooting percentages:

SF/PF CJ Felder ------- 38.9%

PG Trey Bonham ----- 36.9%

SG Kowacie Reeves -- 33.3%

CG Will Richard ------- 32.6%

PG Myreon Jones ----- 32.1%

CG Denzel Averdeen - 31.3%

SF/PF Alex Fudge ----- 28.6%

PG Kyle Lofton -------- 28.2% (career 30.3%, Fr 33.0%, Soph 33.6%)
=====

Both Jones and Lofton's 3% dropped as they assumed more & better PG duties. So it's better to judge them both on the important career PG Stats, as both are okay, but neither are great from the arc:

Kyle Lofton ---- Ast/Gm 5.2 - TO/Gm 2.4 (2.2 to 1) - Rb's 3.0

Myreon Jones - Ast/Gm 1.7 - TO/Gm 1.1 (1.5 to 1) -- Rb's 2.3

Noting at all personal, but just going by their career stats:
Jones is a solid
backup at PG, or as a SG.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Good news is we have incredible depth at the guard spot and I love Lofton at the PG spot.

Everyone knows about returning starters Castleton and Reeves, but before everyone gets all hung up on those transferring in, these backup guys were coming on big time last season.

C Jason Jitoboh was coming into his own, then he got poked in the eye by a rubber dollie.
18 Gm, 4 GS, 10.4 Min, FG 63.3%, FT 68.8%, 4.1 Pts, 2.4 Rbs, 7 Ast, 6 TO, 6 Stl, 11 Blk
The cynic in me, knows that Jason is from TN and that they really don't like he's a Gator....

PF CJ Fleder was shockingly the teams most efficient 3 Pt shooter.
30 Gm, 3 GS, 12.2 Min, FG 54.7%, 3's 38.9%, 3.5 Pts, 2.3 Rbs - 13 Stl, 19 Blk

SG/SF Niels Lane
- 21 GP, 3 GS, 15.2 Min, FG 53%, FT 70%, 3 Pts 2 Rb - 7 Stl, 7 Blk
He was finally coming into his own late in the season, solid defense with his offense finally getting going.
-----

CG/SF Will Richard 6-5 170 *** - Fairburn, GA -- HS 24 PPG
Belmont FR - 12.1 PPG, 6.0 Rbs, 1.8 Ast, 1.2 Stl -- Now 6-5 204
Richard is confident in the Gators’ team. “I think everything is great,” he said. “We have a great group of guys. Everybody is connected already and we’ve only been here for like three weeks. I can tell it’s going to be a great year.”

Last edited:
Every knows about returning starters Castleton and Reeves, but before everyone gets all hung up on those transferring in, these backup guys were coming on big time last season.

C Jason Jitoboh was coming into his own, then he got poked in the eye by a rubber dollie.
18 Gm, 4 GS, 10.4 Min, FG 63.3%, FT 68.8%, 4.1 Pts, 2.4 Rbs, 7 Ast, 6 TO, 6 Stl, 11 Blk
The cynic in me, knows that Jason is from TN and that they really don't like he's a Gator....

PF CJ Fleder was shockingly the teams most efficient 3 Pt shooter.
30 Gm, 3 GS, 12.2 Min, FG 54.7%, 3's 38.9%, 3.5 Pts, 2.3 Rbs - 13 Stl, 19 Blk

SG/SF Niels Lane
- 21 GP, 3 GS, 15.2 Min, FG 53%, FT 70%, 3 Pts 2 Rb - 7 Stl, 7 Blk
He was finally coming into his own late in the season, solid defense with his offense finally getting going.
-----

CG/SF Will Richard 6-5 170 *** - Fairburn, GA -- HS 24 PPG
Belmont FR - 12.1 PPG, 6.0 Rbs, 1.8 Ast, 1.2 Stl -- Now 6-5 204
Richard is confident in the Gators’ team. “I think everything is great,” he said. “We have a great group of guys. Everybody is connected already and we’ve only been here for like three weeks. I can tell it’s going to be a great year.”
Lane is our best defensive player. He's incredibly athletic, if he gets more consistency on the offensive end won't be able to keep him out of the lineup.

Day to day practice performance analytics and overall work ethic determines the 5 starters for each game. I'm expecting to see the starters change from game to game.

Then use a continuous rotation during games. That keeps everyone fresh, involved, and highly motivated.

CG Myreon Jones 6-3 177 5th Yr

PF/C Colin Castleton 6-11 240 5th Yr

C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 300 Sr

PF CJ Felder 6-7 240 Sr

SG Alex Klatsky 6-4 206 rsJr - WO
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsSo - WO

SG/SF Niels Lane 6-5 215 Jr

SG/SF Kowacie Reeves 6-6 190 So

=== FNG's ===

PG Kyle Lofton 6-3 186 Grad-Sr - St Bonnie xfer

PG Trey Bonham 6-0 170 Jr - VMI xfer

CG/SF Will Richard 6-4 206 So - Belmont xfer

PF Alex Fudge 6-9 194 So - LSU xfer
-----
PG/CG Denzel Aberdeen 6-5 180 Fr - Dr Phillips HS, Orlando

SG Riley Kugel 6-5 185 **** Fr - Dr. Phillips HS, Orlando, FL

PF Aleksander Szymczyk, a 6-11 240 Fr - Germany

The class is now filled with 13 ships + 2 W-O's

Last edited:
We needed more size. Hopeful the comp he faced in the tier 3 german league has him ready to play at the college level.

Not sure about that level of play but many of those really tall foreigners have a good outside shot compared to the US ones. Many aren't dominant at the rim though

What's the iG's ideal position breakdown with 13 ships + 2 WO's
6 Guards -- 5 Forwards -- 4 Centers (the iG's position listings)
>> Where and how they play is obviously up to the coaches.

PG Kyle Lofton Grad-Sr 6-3 - New Jersey/St Bonaventure
CG Myreon Jones 5th Sr 6-3 - Alabama/PSU
PG Trey Bonham Jr 6-0 - Alabama/VMI
CG Will Richard So 6-4 - Georgia/Belmont
SG Alex Klatsky rsJr 6-4 - WO - New Jersey
PG Jack May rsSo 6-4 - WO - Boca Raton

PF/SF CJ Felder Sr 6-7 - S.Ca/BC
SG/SF Niels Lane Jr 6-5 - New Jersey
SG
/SF Kowacie Reeves So 6-6 - Georgia
CG
/SF Denzel Aberdeen Fr 6-5 - Orlando
SG/SF Riley Kugel Fr 6-5 - Orlando
(about 8 guys that can play in the SF/G slots as needed)

C/PF Colin Castleton 5th Sr 6-11 - Deland/Mich
C Jason Jitoboh Sr 6-11 - Nigeria/Tennessee
PF/SF/C Alex Fudge So 6-9 - Jacksonville/LSU
PF/C Aleksander Szymczyk Fr 6-10 - Germany

Bold --
the iG's WaG at the beginning starters.

Last edited:

Just four months into his Florida tenure, it appears head basketball coach Todd Golden's analytical approach has translated to his team's workouts. The 36-year-old coach has his players wearing Catapult tracking devices during summer sessions. The devices, which are worn in vests, can track top speed, heart rate and total steps, among other things, and can help Florida's coaching staff gain insight into their players' performances during their summer sessions. --- (interesting
🤓 )

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-basketball-using-Catapult-tracking-technology-during-practices-190096706/

C Castleton - Jitoboh
PF Felder/Fudge/Szymczyk
SF Reeves - Aberdeen
SG Lane/Richard/Kugel/Klatsky
PG Lofton - Bonham/Jones/May
=====

C Castleton 5th - Scorer - Speed
C Jitoboh Sr - Defender - Power

PF Fleder Sr - Power, but also led team in 3's % at .389. (14 of 36)
PF Fudge So - Speed, Fr @ LSU, 3.3 Pts, 3.2 Rbs
PF Aleks Szymczyk Fr - He can drive it, Al-Opp-it, Blk-it, Rb-it, and shoot 3's.
Aleks reminds me a little of Bonner -- https://twitter.com/AleksanderSzym4

SF Reeves - Scorer
SF Aberdeen Fr - Facilitator + scorer

PG Lofton G-Sr - Can do everything - 5.9 APG, .421 FG, .820 FT, 16 20+ Pt Gms.
PG Bonham Jr - PPG 11.3, 3.6 RPG, 2.9 APG, FG .487,.369 3's, .792 FT - VMI
CG Jones 5th - Needs a break-out 5th season. Career 1,113 Pts, 196 3's.
PG May - WO

SG Lane Jr - Top Defender - Offense coming on. SEC-T 16 Pts, 9 Rbs vs aTm.
SG Richard So - Shooter - 12.1 PPG, 6.0 RPG with 41 Stls, 27 Blks
SG Kugel Fr - HS Averaged ,16.5 Pts, 4.8 Rbs, 3.2 Ast, must develop defense.
SG Klatsky - WO
==========

One of 20 college players, Richard is invited to Damian Lillare Exclusive Camp

https://247sports.com/college/flori...lden-Gators-2022-basketball-roster-190482100/

The stage is set for Florida’s appearance in the Phil Knight Legacy Tournament in late November.

The bracket, released on Monday, slates the Gators to get an opportunity to avenge their loss in the final contest of the 2021-22 season in the first round, taking on Xavier in Portland.
The full bracket schedule can be found here.

Xavier went on to win the NIT in impressive fashion, taking down three SEC teams (UF, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M) en route to hoisting the invitational trophy.

Both squads enter the season with new head coaches with Todd Golden heading to Gainesville for the first time and Sean Miller returning to Xavier to re-assume the command of the program that helped him earn his stripes on the college basketball coaching stage. --- Article continues at the provided link:

They say Jones.
I like Lofton and Bonham better until and unless Jones can work his way back into a starting role. I'd not just give him one as a freebee to see if he can do it. Let him earn it first.

So, what do you say Ocala? Step on out there dude...
Not sure how good the new guys really are, but I imagine since Jones is the returning 5th year senior he'll be given the first crack in the starting lineup. And then we'll see if one of the other guys can beat him out. Same with Felder. Wouldn't surprise me if Fudge beats him out at some point. But the rotation will be 8-9 guys, so whether they are in the starting 5 or not isn't that important, IMO.

An impressive forward with good feet, the 6-foot-9 Pang was raised in Shenzhen, located just north of Hong Kong.

“I got an offer from Seton Hall, and a Florida coach just informed me this afternoon that they are going to offer me soon,” Pang told RutgersWire. “Kentucky had a FaceTime with me this week – said they’ll put me on the top list.”

Florida hasn’t extended an offer yet but one could be coming from the SEC program after Pang spoke this week with associate head coach Korey McCray. “Not yet, just spoke to assistant coach Korey yesterday,” Pang said of an offer from Florida. “He said the head coach is going to call me and offer me when he got back to the office.
=====

Please Coach Golden, JUST SAY NO TO ANYTHING CHINA. 🤓
If you want China, then move on to the NBA....

Before Gator fans get too caught up in the incoming xfers to the 2022-23 B-Ball team, they should not overlook the rise of 2 returners:

PF/SF CJ Felder 6-7 240 Sr -- CJ surprisingly led the team in 3 Pt% .389. The next closest returner was SG/SF Reeves at .333. -- CJ is a versatile defender with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, and he brings above the rim energy and strength to the Florida lineup.

SG/SF Niels Lane 6-5 215 Jr

Both of therm excelled on defense, and both were coming on late in the season with excellent developing offense to strengthen their positions on the team in the iG's opinion.
==========

Lane was forced to work through uncharacteristic shooting woes and minimal minutes in the first two seasons, Lane looked destined for the transfer portal as a non-factor in Florida’s lineup despite being a second-year player.

He failed to see action in the first eight games of nine in January and provided little reason for an elevation of his role when he did see the floor in blowout victories or against tune-up opponents. However, as turmoil arose for the Gators following an impressive 6-0 start to the year, the former staff began to look for answers by mixing up the lineup. Those changes were mainly made in the backcourt. It benefited Lane.

Despite having minimal in-game experience, Lane came in off the bench and pieced together a few promising contests in a row. That streak started in the SEC/Big 12 challenge on Jan. 29. Proving he was ready to compete against the level of competition Florida was facing as they neared the second half of conference play.

His numbers on the stat sheet — compiling 3 points on 53.5% shooting, two rebounds, 0.3 steals and 0.3 blocks per game — failed to reflect the contributions he made to the squad on the defensive end. His junior season projects to be his best yet in a scheme that fits his play style more than the previous.

His explosive athleticism to elevate above the rim will aid him in that endeavor. Providing a semi-legitimate threat as a shooter is the next step he’ll need to take. However, even if he remains as a defensive ace, Lane will still serve meaningful minutes for the Gators in 2022-23, especially when operating against opposing teams with a dynamic number one scoring option.

He can smoothly jump between the two and three spots in the floor for the Gators due to his quickness and length to guard any type of player placed in front of him.

Lane and Belmont xfer Will Richards will work together to cover the 2 to begin the season, and I expect them to both get rotation playing time.

Reactions: gatordad3
"The changing of the guard at the top of the program can serve as the pivotal turning point needed to surge back from the distressing state of mediocrity experienced as of late." -- From Brandon Carroll of SI

Gator basketball mediocrity has now been redefined as:

Never having a losing season.
Winning 20+ games every season.
Going to a post season tourney every year.
From a loser 16-17 season, to an NIT Quarter-Final before losing to the NIT Champ.
Then 4 NCAA's, with never a one-&-done.
While making it to an Elite-8 at least once in 5 years.
Doing so while playing the far toughest OoC schedule in the SEC every year.
And 2 years of the Co-V scamdemic, losing the SEC Preseason PoY to it.

Todd gets to begin his tenure taking over a team that was a winning 20-14 NCAA-Tourney team, with Castleton & Reeves among quality others remaining on the roster. While adding on to the promising members retained from 2021-22, the Gators have compiled a more-than-capable unit to take the floor next season.

Todd's got a job to do if he's going to restore UF to a B-2-B NC team....
So good luck to him, and GooooooGATORS!
=====

SG/SF Will Richard 6-4 204 - Fairburn/Atlanta, GA
The iG really likes the looks of this kid...

"One of the strengths of the Florida Gators roster from both a talent and depth standpoint is at the shooting guard and small forward positions. Compiled of the likes of Kowacie Reeves Jr., Lane, Jones and even walk-on Alex Klatsky, Florida will see a healthy rotation of players at each spot."

https://floridagators.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/will-richard/15323

And Will's scouting report:

Last edited:
Wow, not sure who has it tougher...Golden following White or the dude following Coach K at Duke....probably a toss up....

Nice cast and working the lure, but sorry, no hook up on that mostly lame attempt... ----- Moving right along...
=====

SG/SF Will Richard 6-4 206 So - Fairburn, Ga - Belmont Xfer

If interested, more than just the above article can be found at the below link.
The 2022 National Invitation Tournament tipped off with a battle between Vanderbilt men's basketball and Belmont at Memorial Gymnasium.
It was a back and forth game before the Commodores defeated the Bruins 82-71.

#4 SG Will Richard led Belmont (in black) in scoring with 22 points.

NIT Game Highlights Here:

I'd love to be able to sit in on a practice or two, now that the roster is completely filled out.... 🤓

'Now and Later'

Groupings by class:
Who's going to still be here next season?

NR PG Kyle Lofton 6-3 186 Grad-Sr ****
#16 C/PF Colin Castleton 6-11 240 5th-Sr ****
#18 CG Myreon Jones 6-3 177 Grad-Sr ***
#49 PF CJ Felder 6-7 240 Sr ***
#52 C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 300 Sr ***
==========

#24 SG/SF Niels Lane 6-5 215 Jr ***
NR PG/SG Trey Bonham 6-0 170 Jr ***
NR SG Alex Klatsky 6-4 206 rsJr WO

#10 SG/SF Kowacie Reeves 6-6 190 So ****
#12 SF/PF Alex Fudge 6-9 194 So ****
#32 CG Will Richard 6-4 206 So ****
NR PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsSo WO

#20 PG Denzel Aerdeen 6-5 180 Fr ***
#8 SG Riley Kugel 6-5 185 Fr ****
#13 PF/C Alex 'SHIM-chick' Szym-czyk 6-10 235 Fr **** - 20 Yrs old, Polish/German

Will need some combination of Fr or Xfers (5) to fill out the 2023-24 roster:

The 2023-24 Recruiting Class:
#41 PF/C Thomas Haugh 6-9 200 *** Fr, Natl 194, Pennsburg, PA, Commit 6-29-22
PG
CG
C
PF/C

Lol I swear, does anyone who covers basketball in the SEC know anything about basketball?

I ask because I tried to look up what kind of schemes Golden runs on offense and defense and the answers are ridiculous.

"he runs the pick and roll", "play with pace" and "shoots a lot of 3s." His defensive scheme will "try to stop what his offense does." What does that even mean?

Terribly informative. I'll have to watch film.

Also loved this gem: "bringing a modern offense to the SEC."

The pick and roll out of the motion (I assume)? Oh yes, terribly modern.

Lol I swear, does anyone who covers basketball in the SEC know anything about basketball?

I ask because I tried to look up what kind of schemes Golden runs on offense and defense and the answers are ridiculous.

"he runs the pick and roll", "play with pace" and "shoots a lot of 3s." His defensive scheme will "try to stop what his offense does." What does that even mean?

Terribly informative. I'll have to watch film.

Also loved this gem: "bringing a modern offense to the SEC."

The pick and roll out of the motion (I assume)? Oh yes, terribly modern.
Any mention of four corners?

We will see what we see, but it's not like Golden just fell off the turnip truck....

Golden, 36, becomes the 20th head coach of the Florida Gators after guiding the University of San Francisco to 24 wins and its first NCAA Tournament bid since 1998 in the 2021-22 season. Golden led the Dons to a 57-36 record over three seasons as head coach, including 20-win seasons in both 2019-20 and 2021-22. His background includes time coaching within the Southeastern Conference and the Ivy League before his time in the West Coast Conference. Stricklin said. “Todd brings a smart and analytics-driven approach to the game and a relational approach to leadership that puts student-athletes first. He has a wide range of experience, particularly for a coach his age, and brings an outstanding track record and high level of integrity to the job.” In Golden’s six total seasons at USF, the Dons posted at least 20 wins in all seasons except the COVID-shortened 2020-21 campaign.

During his stint as associate head coach at USF, he served as the Dons' recruiting and defensive coordinator under Smith. San Francisco finished within KenPom’s top 100 defensively five times during Golden’s stint, highlighted by this season’s No. 21 ranking. The Dons complemented their defensive effort with a top-100 offense each of the past four seasons, including a pair of top-50 offenses in 2018-19 and 2021-22.

Prior to joining Smith's staff in 2016, Golden spent two seasons at the Auburn University under head coach Bruce Pearl. Golden joined the Auburn staff as the director of basketball operations for the 2014-15 season and was elevated to an assistant coaching position for the 2015-16 campaign. He worked closely with the Tigers' guards and handled all scheduling responsibilities. Golden also took a lead role in analytical and metrics data.

Golden played collegiately at Saint Mary's College in Moraga, Calif., where he helped the Gaels to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances. As a senior point guard, he ranked 2nd in the nation with a 3.68 assists-to-turnovers ratio and led the West Coast Conference with a .574 3-point field goal percentage. The lone captain of Saint Mary's 2007-08 team, Golden finished his career as the Gaels' all-time leader in free-throw percentage (.852) and eighth with 269 career assists. In 2009, he was co-captain of the USA Open Team, coached by Bruce Pearl, that won gold at the Maccabiah Games.

Reactions: gatorpe1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT