ADVERTISEMENT

This offense

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
This passing it to the sidelines crap behind the line of scrimmage won't work against the better SEC defenses. Roper was trying that crap in 2014 and it only worked against the sh*t defenses.

Mac better take more control of this offense before Nuss destroys it.

Reactions: Razorback_Nole
This passing it to the sidelines crap behind the line of scrimmage won't work against the better SEC defenses. Roper was trying that crap in 2014 and it only worked against the sh*t defenses.

I love the bubble screen. It's a bad sign when it's the only play you can execute consistently, but I love the bubble screen. I watched us beat UGA in the Zook years by throwing like 50 of them.

We scored a TD on one of those screens.

Yep and we scored a bunch against weak competition with Roper and didn't do squat after the KY game with that hope the WR can make a move stuff against the good defenses if I remember correctly.

I love the bubble screen. It's a bad sign when it's the only play you can execute consistently, but I love the bubble screen. I watched us beat UGA in the Zook years by throwing like 50 of them.

I was having flashbacks to some of the Zooker years tonight.

I am not writing the season off with a weak SEC East but I hope we can run all over KY next week because Southern Miss was running right through that defense easily in the 2nd half of that game.

Nothing wrong with the bubble screen. It is a very effective play if executed correctly. It is a play that has to be a part of your offensive playbook.

Reactions: rdgtr
Nothing wrong with the bubble screen. It is a very effective play if executed correctly. It is a play that has to be a part of your offensive playbook.

I don't think it looks good when you cant get the ball down the field against one of the worst defenses in FBS and have to go to that mostly in the passing game to get something going. I hope this is just a 1st week fluke.

I agree. I'll take 4 or 5 yard bubble screens all night long. The more simple plays you can get to work for you the better.

My only quibble with it would be that multiple times we had our smaller receivers like Powell blocking it. Unsurprisingly it got blown up those times. Powell or smaller guys like Swain should always be catching it.

I don't think it looks good when you cant get the ball down the field against one of the worst defenses in FBS and have to go to that mostly in the passing game to get something going. I hope this is just a 1st week fluke.

I agree with this as well. You would like to think we could dictate a little bit against what should have been an overmatched defense.

The points weren't there, but I kind of liked the way the offense operated. They were up-tempo and the ball was coming out quick. I thought when they ran out of the shotgun, they hit some nice angles. I thought they looked pretty decently organized.

It is hard to sugarcoat an offensive performance against this level of a team where you dont even get to plug your 2nd string QB in when the plan was to get 3 QBs in the game if possible. It is game one so things can change quickly for the better however.

Reactions: Razorback_Nole
Nobody is sugar coating the offensive performance but their is nothing wrong with the screen pass.

Nobody is sugar coating the offensive performance but their is nothing wrong with the screen pass.

There will be imo if we try to rely on that too much against the better defenses and we will be going nuts just like we did with Roper probably. They wont be able to juke the better teams on the sidelines as easily as UMass.

Also I hope we can ram it down KY's throat as Southern Miss had no problem running all over them in the 2nd half of that game tonight.

bubble screens work when you can't run between the tackles and the D is packing it in. Bubble screens serve their purpose.

Besides. I can't understand all the angst from all these teams about their first game of the season. How many times do you see a team show their hand in the first game, especially against a weak foe? You guys have complained about first games almost every year since Spurrier left. This is nothing new. Your team in 4 weeks will look nothing like it did last night.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
All in all it wasn't the performance that we wanted to see on offense...defensive line has to be a LOT more disruptive. We did see some good things though...although we didn't have more explosive plays I thought that LDR played well...he threw the ball away...made some good check down throws and threw the ball pretty well....he missed some passes and the WR's dropped some balls too. We need to be more consistent on offense...we'll see if we can play better next week. I like that kicker....he was clutch...he can win us some games for sure.

Reactions: Wuerffel2Doering
I thought that LDR played well...he threw the ball away...made some good check down throws and threw the ball pretty well....he missed some passes and the WR's dropped some balls too.

Agreed. And even with all that he completed just over 65% of his passes.

Agreed. And even with all that he completed just over 65% of his passes.
I was impressed with his decision making...he threw the ball away when needed and didn't take sacks....he knew where to go with the ball and was mostly accurate. The offense didn't play well as a whole but that offensive line has to pass block better and open up some holes for the RB's...there were a lot of miss blocks by the entire offense. It's the first game and certainly we will play better...hopefully better and more consistently.

LDR should be just fine at QB. We still need some explosive plays from a RB or WR and the right side of the Oline is still a big concern. I'm telling you we need Massey.

Reactions: GatorNation79
I love the 'didn't show our hand' rationale. Other than the fact that it's almost 100% fan myth because coaches don't think like that, it has nothing to do with some of the issues we had last night. Three defenders in our backfield half the time we run or a defender running untouched to the QB has nothing to do with 'not showing your hand' that's just poor play. All these mental gymnastics to avoid calling a spade a spade. Now does it mean we suck? No. But given the level of team we played it wasn't inspiring. On to next week.

Going by last years ranking of U-Mass is a bit disingenuous imo, but whatever. o_O

The weather also didn't have a thing to do with anyone on the field. :rolleyes:

And no coach has ever done any sandbagging, that's why the phrase exists... ;)

First game, they weren't perfect, and only won by 3 scores while playing a bunch of newbees and freshmen, so the sky is certainly falling! How dare anyone think otherwise... :D

We threw the ball 40 times. Yep, certainly seems like we were trying to sandbag. And I'm sure you're aware we had a QB who had never started a game and needs all the experience he can get. Any coach who would sandbag his own offense in that scenario is as dumb as the fan suggesting he did in fact sandbag. Thankfully, Mac isn't that dumb and his own comments run counter to any sandbag theory. You're an Olympic mental gymnast though so that's nice. And yes my post clearly implies the sky is falling, more idiocy.

Oozie I do believe coaches withhold things in cupcake games. Sometimes though, it's because the team isn't ready to run them.
You expect your team to win 65-3 in a game that you plan to go vanilla in. I think the bitter truth is that the talent gap between Florida and teams like umass isn't nearly as wide as it once was.
If this team doesn't get much better this week then UK will be a battle.....

Coaches don't really withhold. More times than not they go into a game against a cupcake with specific things they want to work on, like let's say the screen game, our or redzone plays, etc and so because of their focus on one area it appears as if they're holding things back because you're not seeing the whole playbook. But that's not holding things back as much as it is using cupcakes to work on specific areas over others.

That said using that excuse for what we saw is bunk because we were very aggressive on offense. We attacked downfield and had multiple formations and shifts...we threw 45 times. We weren't out there trying to play conservative and hold anything back. We just didn't play well and Mac has said as much. Like I said before it doesn't mean we suck and the season is doomed, but just call a spade a spade. Offensively we didn't play well and they have to get better no way around it.

We threw the ball 40 times. Yep, certainly seems like we were trying to sandbag.

Yep. If anything, we threw the ball too much, seeming by design. It was almost as if Mac was forcing the passing game, to give everyone more experience in a facet of the game we are really going to need down the road. The anti-Muschamp, if you will.

Yep. If anything, we threw the ball too much, seeming by design. It was almost as if Mac was forcing the passing game, to give everyone more experience in a facet of the game we are really going to need down the road. The anti-Muschamp, if you will.

Yep and I'm fine with that. It's forward thinking and it's the right thing to do with a QB with no experience. Let him get work against teams you should beat. Del Rio did fine considering our oline couldn't block anyone on this board for half the game.

I like the idea of having a new QB throwing a lot of passes to a bunch of different receivers in the opening game. The bubble screen can be effective at times. Pass protection is so bad the plays have to call for a quick release, which Del Rio was very good at as opposed to last year when there were a ton of sacks because the QB held the ball too long. The offense should put up lots of yardage on KY, as their defense is pathetic. They will gain some yardage on offense so our defense better come reasy to play. Maybe when Miss. St. fires Dan Mullen we can hire him back as our offensive coordinator if Nussmeir doesn't work out :):)

Coaches don't really withhold. More times than not they go into a game against a cupcake with specific things they want to work on, like let's say the screen game, our or redzone plays, etc and so because of their focus on one area it appears as if they're holding things back because you're not seeing the whole playbook. But that's not holding things back as much as it is using cupcakes to work on specific areas over others.

That said using that excuse for what we saw is bunk because we were very aggressive on offense. We attacked downfield and had multiple formations and shifts...we threw 45 times. We weren't out there trying to play conservative and hold anything back. We just didn't play well and Mac has said as much. Like I said before it doesn't mean we suck and the season is doomed, but just call a spade a spade. Offensively we didn't play well and they have to get better no way around it.
Semantics. But I do like your take on it. I think you are exactly right. I also think though that coaches do sometimes try to not run a few things so they don't put them on tape for the conference schedule.
Spurrier, on the other hand, I think he did the opposite. Back in the 90's when we played Tenn the third game of the season, it seemed like he tried to run the whole playbook in the first 2 games. Poor ole Fulmer. It's a wonder Spurrier didn't literally cause that guy a nervous breakdown

Semantics. But I do like your take on it. I think you are exactly right. I also think though that coaches do sometimes try to not run a few things so they don't put them on tape for the conference schedule.
Spurrier, on the other hand, I think he did the opposite. Back in the 90's when we played Tenn the third game of the season, it seemed like he tried to run the whole playbook in the first 2 games. Poor ole Fulmer. It's a wonder Spurrier didn't literally cause that guy a nervous breakdown

Spurrier wanted Phil to know what was coming. He wanted Phil to prepare for it
All while drawing up something new and never using some of what UT was preparing for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT