ADVERTISEMENT

These States Are Most Dependent on the Federal Government

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
Red states lead the MOST dependent list....Blue states lead the LEAST dependent list 😲

And who is leading the "Secession" discussion? The most dependent, loser states

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/where-tax-dollars-states-most-142938519.html
These States Are Most Dependent on the Federal Government
Jaclyn DeJohn
Sat, June 17, 2023 at 9:08 AM EDT·8 min read

In 2022, the federal government spent $6.27 trillion1. Most of the government’s revenue comes from taxes collected from individuals and businesses across the U.S. Though taxes are mostly collected by the federal government, individual states are primary recipients of that same tax revenue. In a way, tax inflows and outflows act as a form of wealth redistribution among U.S. states.

To find out which states are most and least reliant on the federal government – and thus taxpayers from other states – SmartAsset evaluated tax and government spending data to determine which states are getting the best and worst return for their tax dollars.

Key Findings

• New Mexico is the only state paying less in taxes than it receives in support – paying only 85 cents in federal taxes for each dollar of support. This was the only state with that paid less in federal taxes than it received back. The next four most dependent states – West Virginia, Alaska, Mississippi and Montana – receive nearly as much in support as they send to the federal government each year. Hawaii, Vermont, Louisiana, Alabama and Wyoming also top the list of most dependent states.
  • Minnesota, New Jersey, Delaware, Illinois and Florida are least dependent on the federal government. These states all contribute multiples more to the federal government than they receive, with residents paying at least $5 in taxes for every $1 in direct support received from the federal government. Minnesota – the least dependent state – pays nearly $6.88 in taxes for each dollar it receives back. Other states that made the top 10 least dependent list include Washington, South Dakota, Massachusetts, Nebraska and California.
  • Texas’s love of vices disproportionately supports federal income. Texas pays an exorbitant $17B in excise taxes to the federal government – more than any other state by far and more than the income taxes on Texas’s top 1% of earners. Texas pays nearly three times as much in taxes on items like alcohol, gas, cigarettes, gambling and other specialty items as the second most state, Ohio.

States Most Dependent on the Federal Government

1. New Mexico

New Mexico pays an inexpensive $0.85 to the federal government for every dollar of support received. “Brain drain” – where highly educated workers leave for better opportunities elsewhere – has been a problem for New Mexico’s economy2. Left behind are a particularly high number of residents 65 and older.

2. West Virginia

West Virginians end up getting back almost every dollar they submit to the federal government – paying $1.04 for every dollar redistributed back to their state.
With a poverty rate of 16.8%3, West Virginia also placed third in a recent SmartAsset study determining states where residents are financially hurting the most. Additionally, just about 22% of residents have completed a college education – less than any other state in the nation.

3. Alaska

Being uniquely situated away from the United States mainland and in a particularly harsh climate, Alaska requires more support than most states. The state pays in about $1.09 for every support dollar it receives, and in 2022 had the third smallest state GDP.

If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.

4. Mississippi

Mississippi has a handful of factors working against its economic independence, leading it to receive $1 from the federal government for every $1.19 it collects from residents, businesses and transactions. The state has historically ranked high in poverty and low in education – Mississippi also ranked as the second most state where residents are hurting financially in a recent SmartAsset study. It’s also prone to natural disasters that require cleanup.

5. Montana

Known for much of its natural scenery, Montana is also home to a number of federal agencies, of which a few maintain landmarks like the Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. The Treasure State received roughly $5.1 billion from the federal government in 2021 and paid back approximately $1.53 for every federal dollar received.

States Least Dependent on the Federal Government

1. Minnesota

Between personal and corporate income taxes, excise taxes, estate taxes and gift taxes, Minnesota contributes $6.88 to the federal government for every dollar it receives for support. As the least dependent state on the federal government, Minnesota has a median household income of around $77,720 – above the U.S. median of $69,717 – and is the fifth most prominent agricultural state4.

2. New Jersey

New Jersey’s dense population, proximity to New York City and Philadelphia, beaches, and a major port and airport are an effective combination for a productive economy. New Jersey also has a particularly educated workforce, which helps support the internal economy: With 41.5% of residents completing college5, it ranks fourth in the nation for 2017-2021. For every $6.28 New Jersey forks over to the federal government, it receives $1 back.

3. Delaware

More than 65% of Fortune 500 companies in the United States are incorporated in The First State6, which is known for its business-friendliness. Delaware pays roughly $32.3 billion to the federal government in collective taxes or $6.09 for every federal dollar received.

4. Illinois

Illinois is the sixth most populous state at over 12.5 million people – it’s also got the fifth largest GDP by state7,8. And by contributing $5.88 tax dollars for every $1 in returned to it, Illinois also takes the fourth place spot for least dependent on the federal government. Chicago’s location on the Great Lakes makes it an economic hub for the midwest, and like Minnesota, it is one of the top 10 agricultural states by production in the U.S.

5. Florida

The Sunshine State is the fifth-least dependent state on the federal government contributing $5.78 tax dollars for every $1 in federal aid it receives. As a popular tourist destination, Florida had the fourth largest GDP of all states in 2022.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
Conservatives presented with the fact that they are the most dependent and all off a sudden the secession talk dries up

Red states lead the MOST dependent list....Blue states lead the LEAST dependent list 😲

And who is leading the "Secession" discussion? The most dependent, loser states

States Most Dependent on the Federal Government

1. New Mexico
LMAO! So one of the bluest states in America is also the most dependent on the government.

You love honesty like Chris Christie loves a good salad.

• Haha
Reactions: nail1988
malone ignoring the data when its presented in his face

Its the literal definition of the term bigotry
So you ignored that a DEEP BLUE state is the most dependent state in the nation, then accused ME of being the one that was ignoring data AND implied that makes me a bigot.

By your own logic, you just called yourself a bigot, and since you did what you accused me of doing, that's the literal definition of projection. I'm noticing you do this a lot.

Feel free to send in this post for review. Good luck.

So you ignored that a DEEP BLUE state is the most dependent state in the nation, then accused ME of being the one that was ignoring data AND implied that makes me a bigot.

By your own logic, you just called yourself a bigot, and since you did what you accused me of doing, that's the literal definition of projection. I'm noticing you do this a lot.

4 of the 5 most dependent states are red and malonme's "logic" is somehow New Mexico is more important

🤣

Here is the Top 15 of Most Dependent...11 of which are solidly red states

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/states-most-dependent-federal-government-2023

1New Mexico$10,300,315$12,146,268$0.85
2West Virginia$7,143,579$6,899,273$1.04
3Alaska$5,750,254$5,260,485$1.09
4Mississippi$12,651,646$10,601,280$1.19
5Montana$7,844,890$5,140,433$1.53
6Hawaii$9,494,260$5,973,572$1.59
7Vermont$5,001,910$2,694,118$1.86
8Louisiana$39,377,708$20,913,908$1.88
9Alabama$30,414,043$15,878,493$1.92
10Wyoming$6,089,795$3,103,070$1.96
11Maine$9,817,142$4,915,180$2.00
12North Dakota$7,589,067$3,750,161$2.02
13Kentucky$36,700,830$18,058,670$2.03
14Arizona$57,665,724$25,552,145$2.26
15South Carolina$31,110,135$13,037,780$2.39
1. Thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
4 of the 5 most dependent states are red and malonme's "logic" is somehow New Mexico is more important

This is probably significant. From your article...

New Mexico is the only state paying less in taxes than it receives in support – paying only 85 cents in federal taxes for each dollar of support.

Maybe that's why he mentioned New Mexico?

This is probably significant. From your article...

New Mexico is the only state paying less in taxes than it receives in support – paying only 85 cents in federal taxes for each dollar of support.

Maybe that's why he mentioned New Mexico?

No one is questioning mentioning New Mexico....

malone is accusing me of bigotry (ignoring the truth in the face of data)

So maybe 11 of 15 states says more about red vs blue politics than focusing on one state who economically is one of the smallest states in the union.

Hey look...Alabama is in the Top 10 of Most Dependent 😲

It's more important because New Mexico is literally the only state dependent on the Federal government for revenue.

All of the rest of the states, at the very least, match the Feds dollar for dollar.

Hey look...Alabama is in the Top 10 of Most Dependent 😲

Interesting language that you and that article are choosing to use.

Alabama contributes almost $2 for every federal dollar it receives. In what way is that dependent?

If I give you $1 for every $1.92 that you give me, is it fair to claim that you are dependent on me financially? Of course not...only an idiot would say so. And here we are.

🤣

Here is the Top 15 of Most Dependent...11 of which are solidly red states

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/states-most-dependent-federal-government-2023

1New Mexico$10,300,315$12,146,268$0.85
2West Virginia$7,143,579$6,899,273$1.04
3Alaska$5,750,254$5,260,485$1.09
4Mississippi$12,651,646$10,601,280$1.19
5Montana$7,844,890$5,140,433$1.53
6Hawaii$9,494,260$5,973,572$1.59
7Vermont$5,001,910$2,694,118$1.86
8Louisiana$39,377,708$20,913,908$1.88
9Alabama$30,414,043$15,878,493$1.92
10Wyoming$6,089,795$3,103,070$1.96
11Maine$9,817,142$4,915,180$2.00
12North Dakota$7,589,067$3,750,161$2.02
13Kentucky$36,700,830$18,058,670$2.03
14Arizona$57,665,724$25,552,145$2.26
15South Carolina$31,110,135$13,037,780$2.39
1. Thousands of dollars.

BTW, I'm actually stunned that West Virginia and Mississippi aren't upside down when it comes to dollars from the Feds.

The fact that they are breaking even and then some surprises the crap out of me.

It's more important because New Mexico is literally the only state dependent on the Federal government for revenue.

All of the rest of the states, at the very least, match the Feds dollar for dollar.

You don't even understand what you supposedly read... 🤣

I would suggest you go read the methodolgy of the study

Interesting language that you and that article are choosing to use.

Alabama contributes almost $2 for every federal dollar it receives. In what way is that dependent?

If I give you $1 for every $1.92 that you give me, is it fair to claim that you are dependent on me financially? Of course not...only an idiot would say so. And here we are.

Proudly displaying your lack of understanding from not reading the article or the study doesn't make your ignorance correct 🤣

Go read the article & the study

You don't even understand what you supposedly read... 🤣

I would suggest you go read the methodolgy of the study

Proudly displaying your lack of understanding from not reading the article or the study doesn't make your ignorance correct 🤣

Go read the article & the study

👍

malone ignoring the data when its presented in his face

Its the literal definition of the term bigotry

malone is accusing me of bigotry (ignoring the truth in the face of data)
I'm sorry, what???

You accuse me of being a bigot, then claim I accused YOU of being a bigot?

How does that work?

I'll avoid pinging the BO, for now.

Here...let me explain how that works

A bigot is a person who stubbornly holds to their opinion despite data & evidence to the contrary

The data says red states are the most dependent...you ignore that and are focused on one state.... New Mexico

Now your crying & whining about be called out for ignoring what the data says?

We should get you a box of depends because you piss your panties so much 🤣

Here...let me explain how that works

A bigot is a person who stubbornly holds to their opinion despite data & evidence to the contrary
Hate to keep pointing this out to you, but a DEEP BLUE state it the most dependent in the nation, according to the data that you keep overlooking as you claim red states are the most dependent.

And you've already explained WHY I have to point it out to you, so our work here is done.

Hate to keep pointing this out to you, but a DEEP BLUE state it the most dependent in the nation, according to the data that you keep overlooking as you claim red states are the most dependent.

Hate to keep pointing out the MOST dependent states are red

And you've already explained WHY I have to point it out to you, so our work here is done.

And malone is off to get some new diapers

d41f88e2-7dac-53ef-92f9-4c79218b6999

Blue states lead the way in homeless junkies living in a tent. Congrats.

Blue states lead the way in homeless junkies living in a tent. Congrats.

https://palletshelter.com/blog/debunking-myths-homelessness-is-a-blue-state-problem/
Debunking Myths: Homelessness is a blue state problem
May 24, 2022

FACT: Homelessness touches every part of the United States, from urban to rural areas, from blue states to red states.

Here’s a list of the top 15 states with the highest number of unhoused people:

1. California: 161,548
  2. New York: 91,271
  3. Florida: 27,487
  4. Texas: 27,229
  5. Washington: 22,923
  6. Massachusetts: 17,975
  7. Oregon: 14,655
  8. Pennsylvania: 13,375
  9. Arizona: 10,979
  10. Ohio: 10,655
  11. Illinois: 10,431
  12. Georgia: 10,234
  13. Colorado: 9,846
  14. New Jersey: 9,662
  15. North Carolina: 9,280
Source: US Interagency Council on Homelessness 2020 report. Also, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) breaks down the number of people experiencing homelessness per 10,000 people in the appendix of their annual report.

https://palletshelter.com/blog/debunking-myths-homelessness-is-a-blue-state-problem/
Debunking Myths: Homelessness is a blue state problem
May 24, 2022

FACT: Homelessness touches every part of the United States, from urban to rural areas, from blue states to red states.

Here’s a list of the top 15 states with the highest number of unhoused people:

1. California: 161,548
  2. New York: 91,271
  3. Florida: 27,487
  4. Texas: 27,229
  5. Washington: 22,923
  6. Massachusetts: 17,975
  7. Oregon: 14,655
  8. Pennsylvania: 13,375
  9. Arizona: 10,979
  10. Ohio: 10,655
  11. Illinois: 10,431
  12. Georgia: 10,234
  13. Colorado: 9,846
  14. New Jersey: 9,662
  15. North Carolina: 9,280
Source: US Interagency Council on Homelessness 2020 report. Also, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) breaks down the number of people experiencing homelessness per 10,000 people in the appendix of their annual report.
Wow. Look at Cali and NY. More than the oter 13 combined. 11/15 democrat governors.

Wow. Look at Cali and NY. More than the oter 13 combined. 11/15 democrat governors.

Yes...see how data, reporting , and reading can be your friend? 🤣

It might surprise you that NY state isn't blue controlled in its history
The Assembly has been democrat and the Senate republican for basically the last 80 years or so.

But I know simple comparisons rather than detailed information is easier for simple minds to comprehend

Yes...see how data, reporting , and reading can be your friend? 🤣

It might surprise you that NY state isn't blue controlled in its history
The Assembly has been democrat and the Senate republican for basically the last 80 years or so.

But I know simple comparisons rather than detailed information is easier for simple minds to comprehend
So NY isnt a blue state??? Goodness gracious, what a loser

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT