ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving coldest on record in the NEast

Ozone depletion by haloginated hydrocarbons is a debate. We are still looking at refrigerants being subject to EPA ozone depletion review when the science behind it was never settled. The physics that would explain how a molecule 5-6 times the weight of air makes it up to stratospheric ozone for depletion purposes doesn’t exist.... I’ve personally examined every transport model. The only way that the science could otherwise explain alternate transport means was that the molecules broke down into chlorine..... and we never saw governments ban chlorine usage.

The old refrigerants were solvents in their own right and it’s not a great idea to discharge solvents into the atmo.... but then, a key part of a refrigerant system is keeping the gas IN the system. In the 80’s, over 50% of refrigerant use was actually to expand foam in a ambient release for cartons,etc only 11% was in HVAC

Again, why was there a successful international push against refrigerants? Ask DuPont.... whose patents on those refrigerants were expired.... and who as the manufacturer was le;););)o_Oading the band on their deleterious effects..... another example of ulterior motives in research

I can expound on this topic ad infinitum- so dont get me started
Sorry I asked.....;)

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Funded Researcher's Motto: o_O

Tell me what results you want (and are paying for),,,
and I'll continue to test until I get them for you....
:rolleyes:

Ding-Ding-Ding == Payday $$$ :cool:
And future research jobs are now guaranteed. o_O

Wrong. If you choose to look, there are plenty of verifiable facts on temperature, sea levels, Carson dioxide levels, etc. But like I said, it’s not up to me to convince you if you don’t want to learn.

Now, what you may be referring to is the ultimate impact of these factors, and how we should respond to it. That is still subject to reasonable debate. I remember the same debates regarding the depletion of the ozone layer. That is no longer a debate.

You've asked me to keep the gloves up. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Yes, cause and effect is a pretty important detail in this debate.

Reactions: nail1988
Ozone depletion by haloginated hydrocarbons is a debate. We are still looking at refrigerants being subject to EPA ozone depletion review when the science behind it was never settled. The physics that would explain how a molecule 5-6 times the weight of air makes it up to stratospheric ozone for depletion purposes doesn’t exist.... I’ve personally examined every transport model. The only way that the science could otherwise explain alternate transport means was that the molecules broke down into chlorine..... and we never saw governments ban chlorine usage.

The old refrigerants were solvents in their own right and it’s not a great idea to discharge solvents into the atmo.... but then, a key part of a refrigerant system is keeping the gas IN the system. In the 80’s, over 50% of refrigerant use was actually to expand foam in a ambient release for cartons,etc only 11% was in HVAC

Again, why was there a successful international push against refrigerants? Ask DuPont.... whose patents on those refrigerants were expired.... and who as the manufacturer was leading the band on their deleterious effects..... another example of ulterior motives in research

I can expound on this topic ad infinitum- so dont get me started

Was he really trying to say the science on ozone depletion was settled or did I misread that?

Btw, wasn't there an aerosol propellant (or whatever it is called) that was banned in the 90's that we now know for certain wasn't causing issues with the ozone?

Was he really trying to say the science on ozone depletion was settled or did I misread that?

Btw, wasn't there an aerosol propellant (or whatever it is called) that was banned in the 90's that we now know for certain wasn't causing issues with the ozone?
Well, it’s only wiki but it seems pretty settled to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

The main cause of ozone depletion and the ozone hole is manufactured chemicals, especially manufactured halocarbon refrigerants, solvents, propellants, and foam- blowing agents(chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), HCFCs, halons), referred to as ozone-depleting substances(ODS). These compounds are transported into the stratosphere by turbulent mixing after being emitted from the surface, mixing much faster than the molecules can settle.[2] Once in the stratosphere, they release halogen atoms through photodissociation, which catalyze the breakdown of ozone (O3) into oxygen (O2).[3] Both types of ozone depletion were observed to increase as emissions of halocarbons increased.

The ban came into effect in 1989. Ozone levels stabilized by the mid-1990s and began to recover in the 2000s, as the shifting of the jet stream in the southern hemisphere towards the south pole has stopped and might even be reversing.[4] Recovery is projected to continue over the next century, and the ozone hole is expected to reach pre-1980 levels by around 2075.[5] However already in 2019 NASA reported that the ozone hole was the smallest ever since it was first discovered in 1982.[6][7][8]

Perhaps you have something more relevant?

HAHAHAHA

these are the people my buddies @bradleygator @BSC911 agree with
Well, it’s only wiki but it seems pretty settled to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

The main cause of ozone depletion and the ozone hole is manufactured chemicals, especially manufactured halocarbon refrigerants, solvents, propellants, and foam- blowing agents(chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), HCFCs, halons), referred to as ozone-depleting substances(ODS). These compounds are transported into the stratosphere by turbulent mixing after being emitted from the surface, mixing much faster than the molecules can settle.[2] Once in the stratosphere, they release halogen atoms through photodissociation, which catalyze the breakdown of ozone (O3) into oxygen (O2).[3] Both types of ozone depletion were observed to increase as emissions of halocarbons increased.

The ban came into effect in 1989. Ozone levels stabilized by the mid-1990s and began to recover in the 2000s, as the shifting of the jet stream in the southern hemisphere towards the south pole has stopped and might even be reversing.[4] Recovery is projected to continue over the next century, and the ozone hole is expected to reach pre-1980 levels by around 2075.[5] However already in 2019 NASA reported that the ozone hole was the smallest ever since it was first discovered in 1982.[6][7][8]

Perhaps you have something more relevant?

The mixing model fails (think wind). Not credible because the laws of momentum transfer as it affects molecules is that small particles obtain the velocity of the moving medium (wind) very quickly, and when relative velocity differential approach zero, then gravity takes over and the heavy particles begin to fall. Wind mixing applies great horizontally but only to a point.....and eventually gravity does what gravity does best. I learned a great deal on particle momentum transfer in patent work on spray dryers

Another bullet in the mixing theory is the Coriolis effect at the equator....particles tend to stay on one side or the other. The vast majority of refrigerants made and used was in the North hemisphere; the ozone hole is in the South

The chlorine gas discharged by oceans and volcanoes naturally have immensely more impact to stratospheric ozone than heavy-assed halocarbons. Notice I say stratospheric ozone.... because there’s a low atmospheric problem with elevated ozone levels as a pollutant. Why would refrigerants with a high affinity for ozone, avoid the ozone in its back yard to go climb the highest mountain?

Cow farts might have a better chance at attacking ozone in the high atmo.... at least methane weighs less than air

Addendum: I am not saying a heavy halogenated hydrocarbon can’t get to the upper atmo... don’t mistake that. Molecular diffusion as a transport mode WILL certainly deliver some to that elevation.... at which I’m sure the ionization reaction that link describes occurs. The problem is macro..... not enough heavy weight molecules can be delivered in that fashion or with “mixing” to have the efficacy purported

Last edited:
The mixing model fails (think wind). Not credible because the laws of momentum transfer as it affects molecules is that small particles obtain the velocity of the moving medium (wind) very quickly, and when relative velocity differential approach zero, then gravity takes over and the heavy particles begin to fall. Wind mixing applies great horizontally but only to a point.....and eventually gravity does what gravity does best. I learned a great deal on particle momentum transfer in patent work on spray dryers

Another bullet in the mixing theory is the Coriolis effect at the equator....particles tend to stay on one side or the other. The vast majority of refrigerants made and used was in the North hemisphere; the ozone hole is in the South

The chlorine gas discharged by oceans and volcanoes naturally have immensely more impact to stratospheric ozone than heavy-assed halocarbons. Notice I say stratospheric ozone.... because there’s a low atmospheric problem with elevated ozone levels as a pollutant. Why would refrigerants with a high affinity for ozone, avoid the ozone in its back yard to go climb the highest mountain?

Cow farts might have a better chance at attacking ozone in the high atmo.... at least methane weighs less than air

Addendum: I am not saying a heavy halogenated hydrocarbon can’t get to the upper atmo... don’t mistake that. Molecular diffusion as a transport mode WILL certainly deliver some to that elevation.... at which I’m sure the ionization reaction that link describes occurs. The problem is macro..... not enough heavy weight molecules can be delivered in that fashion or with “mixing” to have the efficacy purported
2 questions and one may not be in your area.

What in your opinion explains the "repair" after the bans?

What effect has the changes in the earths magnetic field had on the hole.

Seems the changes on the latter should have had a negative effect IMHO.

Yet the advocate for the scientific priesthood, vicariously via his post, says that the hole is repairing and will be fixed in 2075.

Ozone depletion seems to me to be more important than acid rain or global warming.

That being said , the changing of coolant every few years has made my dead AC unit irreparable and I am not awash in cash to just buy a new unit. They need to stop this!

This is what I was thinking too. :cool:

2 questions and one may not be in your area.

What in your opinion explains the "repair" after the bans?

What effect has the changes in the earths magnetic field had on the hole.

Seems the changes on the latter should have had a negative effect IMHO.

Yet the advocate for the scientific priesthood, vicariously via his post, says that the hole is repairing and will be fixed in 2075.

Ozone depletion seems to me to be more important than acid rain or global warming.

That being said , the changing of coolant every few years has made my dead AC unit irreparable and I am not awash in cash to just buy a new unit. They need to stop this!

We’ve been tracking ozone holes in Antartica for only 60 years.... and there’s an ozone hole for 40 of those years.... why do some scientists think that the first few observations determined what the ozone activity should be, but that somehow a reduction of ozone is all mans fault? Ozone thicknesses are most certainly a fluctuating layer, as the ionization production of ozone depends upon something that itself fluctuates, the sun (solar flares, sun spots). The reduction of ozone can occur by chlorine much more effectively than ionization of HFC valences.... and if the ocean can be assumed a steady state discharge of chlorine - volcanic eruptions are not.

And being cyclical, the “repair” is just nature abhorring a vacuum after a previous cyclical reduction .... we just had an ozone hole in the North Hemisphere for a month near the Pole and then it closed.... because of the differential of sun activity and coriolis, ozone will be thinnest at the poles

Regarding changes on ozone pursuant to magnetic field activity, I have no clue. Fields and waves isn’t in my wheelhouse; though I would think a magnetic field could affect ionization, I just don’t know in what way

As far as replacement refrigerants.... just know that you will continue to see this issue for another 20-40 years probably. They’ll keep finding something wrong with a replacement, (ozone, carcinogenic, birth defects, causes cow flatulence, brain tumors, etc); then DuPont or someone else gets grant $$$ to develop a replacement, then they’ll hold patents on it for the duration; then patents expire, and lo and behold!!! It becomes a crappy refrigerant ~ rinse and repeat

R-22 yielded to 410a, which now is going to be replaced with 470a and R32, which 17-20 years will likely be replaced again....

Sorry Alabama, you’re getting screwed again.

Texans pay an average of $154 a month for electricity, the ninth highest amount in the nation, according to a new study.

The consumer financial website Wallet Hub reported that households in Alabama pay the most for electricity at $180 a month. Households in Utah pay the least at $88.

Sorry Alabama, you’re getting screwed again.

Texans pay an average of $154 a month for electricity, the ninth highest amount in the nation, according to a new study.

The consumer financial website Wallet Hub reported that households in Alabama pay the most for electricity at $180 a month. Households in Utah pay the least at $88.

Meth labs and grow lights suck down the power

J/k Bammers...... a little :D

I was 5' 11/2" when I joined the USAF. Today I stand 5' 10 1/2". I salute you for knowing why.

I was 5' 11/2" when I joined the USAF. Today I stand 5' 10 1/2". I salute you for knowing why.

Safe to assume @BSC911 did not?

BTW I may have encountered @BSC911's former math teacher on Twitter. I should have posted tweet here, but she said that 2+2 does not always equal 4, and if you think there's only one right answer, that's your 'white privilege' talking.

Last edited:
We’ve been tracking ozone holes in Antartica for only 60 years.... and there’s an ozone hole for 40 of those years.... why do some scientists think that the first few observations determined what the ozone activity should be, but that somehow a reduction of ozone is all mans fault? Ozone thicknesses are most certainly a fluctuating layer, as the ionization production of ozone depends upon something that itself fluctuates, the sun (solar flares, sun spots). The reduction of ozone can occur by chlorine much more effectively than ionization of HFC valences.... and if the ocean can be assumed a steady state discharge of chlorine - volcanic eruptions are not.

And being cyclical, the “repair” is just nature abhorring a vacuum after a previous cyclical reduction .... we just had an ozone hole in the North Hemisphere for a month near the Pole and then it closed.... because of the differential of sun activity and coriolis, ozone will be thinnest at the poles

Regarding changes on ozone pursuant to magnetic field activity, I have no clue. Fields and waves isn’t in my wheelhouse; though I would think a magnetic field could affect ionization, I just don’t know in what way

As far as replacement refrigerants.... just know that you will continue to see this issue for another 20-40 years probably. They’ll keep finding something wrong with a replacement, (ozone, carcinogenic, birth defects, causes cow flatulence, brain tumors, etc); then DuPont or someone else gets grant $$$ to develop a replacement, then they’ll hold patents on it for the duration; then patents expire, and lo and behold!!! It becomes a crappy refrigerant ~ rinse and repeat

R-22 yielded to 410a, which now is going to be replaced with 470a and R32, which 17-20 years will likely be replaced again....

"The Earth's magnetic field serves to deflect most of the solar wind, whose charged particles would otherwise strip away the ozone layer that protects the Earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation."
- Wiki

The magnetic force lines curve away from the center of the poles at the poles like a bar magnet. There will always be a hole at the center of the pole.So the strength of the field needs to be part of the calculation when studying the hole.

Earth-magnetic-field1.jpg

Last edited:
Gallup’s polls have shown a gradually rising share of Americans concerned about the environment since the early 2000s. Roughly 60 percent now say that the quality of the environment is poor or only fair; that it is getting worse; and that the federal government is doing too little to protect it. And more than 70 percent favor tougher restrictions for power plants and vehicle emissions, as well as a push to develop clean-energy alternatives, according to Pew.

This week, President Trump and Joe Biden have staked out dueling positions on the climate. Biden proposed a $2 trillion plan to attack climate change. Trump has continued weakening environmental rules and said Biden’s plan would “kill our energy totally” and force 25 percent of U.S. companies to close.

Gallup’s polls have shown a gradually rising share of Americans concerned about the environment since the early 2000s. Roughly 60 percent now say that the quality of the environment is poor or only fair; that it is getting worse; and that the federal government is doing too little to protect it. And more than 70 percent favor tougher restrictions for power plants and vehicle emissions, as well as a push to develop clean-energy alternatives, according to Pew.

This week, President Trump and Joe Biden have staked out dueling positions on the climate. Biden proposed a $2 trillion plan to attack climate change. Trump has continued weakening environmental rules and said Biden’s plan would “kill our energy totally” and force 25 percent of U.S. companies to close.

Now ask that 70% if they want to pay for the tougher restrictions on power plants and vehicle emissions.

It's not unlike healthcare for all. Who could possibly be against everyone getting affordable healthcare? Well...the people paying for your affordable healthcare might take issue.

Coll

Biden's climate plan is a disaster for American workers

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/biden-climate-plan-disaster-american-workers

Warming update

Colleyville currently 82F high 95F

Houston currently 83F high 94 F

Rochester NY currently 82F High 87 F

great smokie Mountains currently 75 F high 85F

Last edited:
Sunny

accuweather tells me 89 tomorrow and 87 on Wednesday

cooling in TEXAS?

Weather has not cooperated with the Warmists for several years now. Where is Al Gorleone?

The CenTex has seen nothing like the 2011 scorcher since 2011. Kasavubu lied when he fed us the "hottest last 5 years" crap. The Warmists swooned when Kasavubu lied straight faced.

Oops!. My roof was inspected yesterday. I have damage from the May 27 hail storm. I must visit Allstate today. Man made global warming! Next door is getting a new roof.

Cooling?

Texas average July Temp 96F

Southlake currently 77F high 89F

Houston currently 78F high 88F

Gatlinburg currently 67F high 84F

Rochester currently 67F high 75F

"We just had the hottest 5 years on record." Papa Doc.

A number of Russian and U. S. scientists say we're cooling. A number of climate scientists pooh pooh man made global warming. Where is Gorleone and Amerikan Pravda?

Might be some disappointment with only 90 mph winds.

Algae gore and his marry band warmers will not be happy with the lack of destruction caused by Hanna

cooling ? Average temp in July in Texas 96F

Colleyville currently 78F high 90F

Houston currently 76F high 85F scattered showers ( that’s right 85 )

Asheville NC currently 68F high 84F

Rochester Ny currently 73 F high 85F

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
nail1988, I know of your compassion for the Warmist. I'm sure that's why you haven't mentioned the Roman Climatic Optimum.

The Mediterranean Sea today is 3.6 F cooler than it was when the Roman Empire ended in 500 AD.

The earth was somewhat warmer during the Roman empire than today.

Mobutu's declaration, "hottest 5 years in history" was a bald faced lie. We know about his selective data.

This tidbit could be devastating to the Warmist Religion.

Ghost, what bull excuse will the Warmists present?

nail1988, I know of your compassion for the Warmist. I'm sure that's why you haven't mentioned the Roman Climatic Optimum.

The Mediterranean Sea today is 3.6 F cooler than it was when the Roman Empire ended in 500 AD.

The earth was somewhat warmer during the Roman empire than today.

Mobutu's declaration, "hottest 5 years in history" was a bald faced lie. We know about his selective data.

This tidbit could be devastating to the Warmist Religion.

Ghost, what bull excuse will the Warmists present?

“ 5 hottest years “ ?

Mobutu buys a 13 million dollar home on the beach that will-fall in the ocean In 9 years according to the the rocket scientist plugs Biden and his low IQ daughter AOC?

WBAP tells me a cool front will hit North Texas this weekend and temps will again be in the 80’s on Monday.

Warming?

Sunny

warmest and state run all upset Hurricane Isailes downgraded to a Tropical storm. I watched #Fakewews all morning with long faces

Cooling continues in Texas

Colleyville High 92F

Houston High 90F

Last edited:
Sunny

warmest and state run all upset Hurricane Isailes downgraded to a Tropical storm. I watched #Fakewews all morning with long faces

Cooling continues in Texas

Colleyville High 92F

Houston High 90F
I loved it when all the libtards were blaming Trump for all the hurricanes back in 2018. Most of them got sh!T canned from their jobs because of extreme TDS. CNN even faked a rescue on camera that year. If those dumbasses wanted to make it more real, they could have used a newer model Ford F150 4X4 to waste.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT