ADVERTISEMENT

NIT, here we come

This team is up and down for sure. I still don’t know what to think. They are certainly playing well right now but that can change quickly as we already have seen once this season.

Until we get the rest of our bigs back (Gak, Johnson and Egbunu) we'll live & die with the outside shot. They looked good last night because they shot it well. Team defense has gotten a little better, but we don't have the size and strength in the paint that we need right now.

For some,,, HOPE springs eternal. :)

For some others,,,, it's Doom, Despair, Pain & Agg-go-knee.... :(

Pick-um... :cool:

Until we get the rest of our bigs back (Gak, Johnson and Egbunu) we'll live & die with the outside shot. They looked good last night because they shot it well. Team defense has gotten a little better, but we don't have the size and strength in the paint that we need right now.

Yep with Egbunu's defense this team would be a threat in the tourney. Hopefully he can start playing in games in a few weeks and be in good shape by tournament time.

Seems like Egbunu is exactly what this team needs. He can just control the paint and let a bunch of perimeter guys fly around. And it looks to me like they guard the perimeter pretty good. They just need someone to shut down the paint. Hope it happens that way.

C John Egbunu 6-11 265 Sr - rehabbing 2017 ACL, late Jan.

C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245 So - concussion protocol, day to day.

C-PF Isaiah Stokes 6-8 270 Fr - rehabbing 2017 ACL, late Jan.

PF Chase Johnson 6-9 205 Fr - concussion protocol, day to day.

The Wt's on the two Fr are their 'season entry weights.'
Stokes has dropped pounds, Johnson has gained pounds.
Both could be much needed help down the 2nd half season stretch.

This loss of those BIG's hurts both the inside and outside defense, due to the need to double down on the inside.

IF Hayes 6-9 225 and Stone 6-8 245, don't properly do their jobs inside, then it's tough to win games unless the outside guys are just pouring in the 3's in an attempt to 'out-score' the opponent..

No 'one guy' is going to win the games for the Gators, it's always going to need a 'TEAM' effort.

Hayes and Stone have been playing really well. I think their play is the main reason for our conference record. But they are definitely undersized and can only do so much. That dude on Ole Miss was eating Hayes alive. If Egbunu comes back at 85% plus it will be just what the dr ordered for this group. They do everything else petty well, really.

Stone has been playing better and better, although he still turns it over some and commits too many silly fouls. Hayes plays really hard, but has slippery hands at times and goes for the block too often instead of boxing out to get the rebound. Did that 3-4 times tonight against Kentucky and gave up easy put backs. But those 2 are giving it all they've got underneath and when the other guys help out with double teams and good rotations, the defense is pretty good, even though undersized against most teams right now.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Egbunu has not been cleared yet.
Egbunu still projected for 'late' Jan.
Nor has:
C-PF Stokes - ACL 'late' Jan.
PF Johnson - Concussion Protocol - Day 2 Day
C Gak - Concussion Protocol - Day 2 Day

Eggie will be gone next season, while the other 3 should be back.

=================

Who do the Gator's lose next season?

PG Chris Cheeze Chiozza Sr
C John Egbunu rsSr
SF/SG Egor Koulechov Sr Grad/xfer

Who did they add to the team for next season?

SG Keyontae Johnson **** - Mouth of Wilson, VA (70/100)
PG Noah Locke **** - Owings Mills, MD (61/100)
PG Andrew Nembhard ***** - Montverde, FL (16/50)

And hopefully,,,, (iG crosses fingers)
PF Emmitt Williams ***** - Orlando, FL (23/50)

Egbunu still projected for 'late' Jan.
Nor has:
C-PF Stokes - ACL 'late' Jan.
PF Johnson - Concussion Protocol - Day 2 Day
C Gak - Concussion Protocol - Day 2 Day

Eggie will be gone next season, while the other 3 should be back.

=================

Who do the Gator's lose next season?

PG Chris Cheeze Chiozza Sr
C John Egbunu rsSr
SF/SG Egor Koulechov Sr Grad/xfer

Who did they add to the team for next season?

SG Keyontae Johnson **** - Mouth of Wilson, VA (70/100)
PG Noah Locke **** - Owings Mills, MD (61/100)
PG Andrew Nembhard ***** - Montverde, FL (16/50)

And hopefully,,,, (iG crosses fingers)
PF Emmitt Williams ***** - Orlando, FL (23/50)
Emmitt Williams would be a huge addition to the team. Got my fingers crossed.

Cool story, i don't measure our success by that rubric alone, especially in basketball where it just doesn't matter. UF wins in the tournament, fsu does not, and in college hoops that is ALL that matters.

In football can't argue, we'll see going forward. We're about to have massively better facilities than you, we already have a better coach, and when the TV money dries up because espn can't afford it, we'll still have money to spend and you won't. This thing is about to turn.
Cool.

I will give you football, but our final 4 and elite 8s the past 5 years compared to nolies says otherwise
Head to head. Clearly, your basketball team has accomplished more over the last 5 years (save for when you were in the NIT in 2015). They just cant beat FSU.

Head to head. Clearly, your basketball team has accomplished more over the last 5 years (save for when you were in the NIT in 2015). They just cant beat FSU.
And of course beating Florida is ALL that matters at FSU. Nole fans couldn't care less how their teams do nationally, as long as they beat Florida.

And we understand. Football is the ONLY sport where FSU national accomplishments are on par with Florida. The rest are woefully behind.

Reactions: instaGATOR

That's true and doesn't matter, it's why your basketball program never accomplishes anything, because you can only win in the regular season, and no one that is associated with or that follows college basketball, cares that much about the regular season. The regular seasons only purpose is to get you into the post season and determine seed, something that doesn't matter for fsu, because no matter what you're going to get beat in the first two rounds, we know this, so do you.

And of course beating Florida is ALL that matters at FSU. Nole fans couldn't care less how their teams do nationally, as long as they beat Florida.

And we understand. Football is the ONLY sport where FSU national accomplishments are on par with Florida. The rest are woefully behind.
I agree that football is the only sport that really matters. Which is why the rivalry has been so fun for the last eight years and counting.

That's true and doesn't matter, it's why your basketball program never accomplishes anything, because you can only win in the regular season, and no one that is associated with or that follows college basketball, cares that much about the regular season. The regular seasons only purpose is to get you into the post season and determine seed, something that doesn't matter for fsu, because no matter what you're going to get beat in the first two rounds, we know this, so do you.
You have a better basketball program than we do, I'm not going to argue that. I just find it funny that despite same, we continue to own you on the court. It's just one of those weird things.

[QUOTin ="GoFish2, post: 1220591, member: 15126"]You have a better basketball program than we do, I'm not going to argue that. I just find it funny that despite same, we continue to own you on the court. It's just one of those weird things.[/QUOTE]
Just in the last 4 years. Prior to that UF had won 6 in a row I believe. And only this year was lopsided. The 3 previous were extremely close

I agree that phootball is the only sport that really matters to a phootball factory like FSUcks. Which is why the rivalry has been so fun for the last eight years and counting.

Nothing really matters in talleycrappy except a win in phootball.
Citizenship doesn't matter, only student/ATHLETE matters.
And even that ONLY really matter in their one sport.
For any other criminole sport, only an occasional win against UF matters.

'Wannabee little brothers' is CONFIRMED yet again... :cool:

Just in the last 4 years. Prior to that UF had won 6 in a row I believe. And only this year was lopsided. The 3 previous were extremely close

He is using Igloo math and reasoning

And unfortunately this roller coaster ride will continue all season. Hopefully we will do enough to make tourney

The SEC is much deeper than in previous years and there are no easy wins. South Carolina shot it well and played the same in-your-face defense that gave us fits last year. Our guys didn't shoot it well enough, missed too many free throws and played too soft on defense too many times. Most games from here on out will probably be close, decided by a couple of possessions.

That’s the spirit! Keep clicking your heels...

We play down to the level of our comp too often. This is another bad loss. Defensively just awful.
You would think that after their only 3 point shooter made two in a row, we might keep someone on him. We dared USCe to beat us with that guy, and that is exactly what they did

You have a better basketball program than we do, I'm not going to argue that. I just find it funny that despite same, we continue to own you on the court. It's just one of those weird things.

That's currently true and cannot argue with it

One cannot predict.

Bad home losses are almost worse than good road wins

Barring a massive collapse this team is in the tournament, even with a few more losses. Hopefully when Egbunu gets back our interior defense will shape up some and we'll be a bit more consistent.

This team is a lock for the NCAA tournament, stop sweating it, worry more about seed.

I hope we can win the regular season SEC title still. It would help in seeding.

For some reason the RPI only has us # 40 still but we have some good wins.

Barring a massive collapse this team is in the tournament, even with a few more losses. Hopefully when Egbunu gets back our interior defense will shape up some and we'll be a bit more consistent.

This team is a lock for the NCAA tournament, stop sweating it, worry more about seed.
I am not sure Egbunu is going to give us many quality minutes this year. Rumors have it that his knee is not responding well to non contact drills

Last edited:
Getting productive minutes from Egbunu might becwishf

I am not sure Egbunu is going to give us many quality minutes this year. Rumors have it that his knee is not responding well to non contact drills

If that's the case then this is who we are for the year, buckle up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT