ADVERTISEMENT

NIT, here we come

Remember teams with Nick Calathes or that soft European quitter Christian Drejer?

Yeah, our history is filled with difficult teams to read.

It’s Gator Hoops, man!

People act like we’re Duke or something around here.

How quickly we forget Dan Werner. I remember a game vs USC where we had a one-point lead with like 5 seconds left and Calathes at the line shooting one and one. Calathes missed the front end and USC threw the ball right over Werner’s head, playing deep, for the game winning layup at the buzzer.

Jerry Palm only has us an 8 seed this morning. I think he is definitely off with that despite some bad losses at home. Heck even if we lost to KY today and didn't have a good SEC tourney we are probably around an 8 seed. Beat KY today and we are probably a lock for at least a 6 seed even if we don't win an SEC tourney game.

Great win. Tenacious defense and no turnover, constant motion offense made KY look like the freshmen they are. The only slack off in the Gators' performance was when they slowed things down with a 23 point lead. It got cut to 9 over about a 7 minute period. Then they started playing aggressive again and pulled away.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
So, we had six games left in the season three weeks ago.

UGA
@Vandy-
@UT
Auburn
@Alabama-
UK

Most people thought if we went 3-3, that gets us into the tournament. Beat the two bottom feeders, UGA and Vandy and then win one of the three tough games.

So we promptly go 0-3.

Then promptly go 3-0

Funny game.

Last edited:
Revisiting the first page of this thread is just comical. We lost to four teams that are now all in the Sweet Sixteen and people were throwing the team and the Coach under the bus.

We also lost five games to SEC teams that played on Wednesday of the tournament. The SEC tournament.

Shot selection was the downfall of this team, primarily Egor. Bad shots are the first pass in the other teams fast break. Mike White did a pretty good job this year, considering he didn't have any formidable bigs. That Texas Tech game was BS. No team should ever be in the bonus 5minutes into the half. Hayes and Chiozza were in foul trouble all game long. Crappy way for a senior to go out.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Gators played a very difficult schedule and beat some really good teams - Cincinnati, Gonzaga, Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky twice as examples. They, also, lost to some very good teams - Duke (had the game won and fell apart down the stretch), Clemson (had the game won and fell apart down the stretch), Loyola of Chicago (2-19 from 3), FSU (blown out), Tennessee and Texas Tech. What many fans like myself were upset about was the losses to inferior teams - Georgia twice, Ole Miss, Vandy, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas. It was the potential that they showed in some games and the inexplicably sorry play in other games or in the 2nd half of others that had many of us mystified. I know they were playing with obvious limitations in the frontcourt. But some games they showed no passion, made way too many stupid decisions and took too many ill-advised shots. I like Mike White and think he's done very well in the 3 years he's been here with the talent he's had healthy to work with. But players have accountability as well and this team should have had a better record, which would have meant a higher seed and probably a little bit deeper run. Not Final 4, but certainly Sweet 16 or Elite 8. To me it was an OK year, but could have and should have been a little better.

But that is not when people were getting excited. They were throwing people under the bus for losing to Sweet 16 teams.
I am not sure if you mean excited, as in happy. Or excited, as in upset. But let's discuss those early losses. Florida lost to Duke, Florida State and Loyola Chicago in consecutive games. The last two at home. At the time, no one knew any one of those teams would be sweet sixteen teams, except maybe Duke. Chicago never has been to a sweet 16, I do not believe, and FSU does not go there very often. The Duke loss was not a bad loss. But we were dominated at home by a FSU team that was not a top 50 RPI. And that Chicago team that we also lost to at home was not even in the top 100 RPI. That was a game we frittered away.

We then won a game and then lost another winnable game against Clemson. All that could be said then is that Florida lost four of five games. The Clemson and Duke losses were not bad at the time, but the Chicago loss was a bad loss and the FSU game exposed our team badly.

As I said in another thread; viewed through the lens of our wins against good teams, plus the narrow losses against good teams, make this season an overall disappointment. Yet when looked at from the stand point of our bad losses, lossing five games to UGA, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and South Carolina, plus getting dominated by FSU, Alabama and Arkansas suggests it was truly remarkable that this team got as far as it did.

Reactions: Dannygator1989
As Sad said earlier, largely, the story of the season was that when they shot well from the perimeter they won. When they didn't they lost. They shot .37 from three for the year. In their "good" wins, they shot: aTm, 17-28, .60; Zags, 17-36, .47; Auburn, 13-28, .46; home UK, 10-24, .40; Cincy, 6-15, .40. They shot .40 against Duke and .41 against Clemson, close losses to good teams.

There were some exceptions. They won at UK and at Bama with defense, shooting terrible both games, but generally, their best results depended on them shooting well, as you would expect from a team playing 4 guards and an undersized or underskilled big.

In their bad losses, the shot: FSU, 6-25, .24; Loyola, 2-19, .10; Ole Miss, 10-29, .34; USC, 6-23; 'Bama, 5-24, .21; TTech, 6-22, .27.

Again, some exceptions. They shot the ball from 3 well against Vandy and at home vs. Georgia, but I thought both of those second halfs were more about Vandy and UGA making shots.

People have made a big deal about White sitting on the ball, but he was 17-5 this year leading at halftime. I think it's a fair criticism that White's offense got stagnant in the halfcourt too often. Chiozza, Allen, Stone and Hudson can all drive it, and I thought they got caught too often just whipping the ball around the perimeter, or dumping down for no-hope post ups by Egor, Hayes or Chiozza (!). Also, that's a tough deal for White when Allen plays like he did this year. I suppose you can put some of that on the coach for not figuring out how to get him going. He put the ball in his hands a lot, but he really struggled as a primary ballhandler. He is a lot better coming off screens and cuts, but that was Hudson's game too, so I guess that was an odd fit.

They were also inconsistent on defense. They won some games with defensive effort and lost some games with lack of it. Their lack of size definitely hurt them, but Hayes was their only big late last year, and they defended the perimeter so well, that nobody could get to him. Nowhere near that effort this year.

I thought White got about what he should have out of this roster. Nobody on this team is going to sniff the NBA. I think in-game, White has shown pretty well and will get better. He needs to recruit better. Getting this class in would be a good start.

I thought White got about what he should have out of this roster. Nobody on this team is going to sniff the NBA. I think in-game, White has shown pretty well and will get better. He needs to recruit better. Getting this class in would be a good start.

I had been traveling for a week and have not been following the whole tournament very carefully. At home this morning, I had a chance to look at the surviving teams. Of the 16 teams remaining, we have four wins. Two against Kentucky, one against Gonzaga and one against T&M. That suggests we have a good team. Yet we also have five losses; Duke, FSU, Clemson, Loyola-Chicago in the regular season and Texas Tech in the tournament. Those losses say we got as far as we could go. That White squeezed as much out of this team as was possible.

My tendency to have existential crises during the regular season not with standing, I agree that White did an overall good job with this team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT