ADVERTISEMENT

NIT, here we come

One point lead and the ball and we dribble around and run zero offense attacking the basket.

Didn't you realize we are a baseball and women's volleyball school now?

Good luck ladies against Nebraska!

Mike White is a very good coach and the kids play hard. But they've been playing dumb and have reverted to last year's form by missing too many free throws and taking too many stupid shots. And yet that team made the Elite 8. Allen is a shadow of his former self and cannot be relied on to hit a clutch shot. And it's affecting his defense, IMO. They absolutely had numerous chances to put Clemson away and did stupid stuff in key situations allowing them to hang around. And it bit them in the ass.

I believe in coach White, I believe in this team in March when it matters, agree we need Big John, agree we need to finish games off, agree we need to get back to the mindset that passing creates shots, not dribbling

White really overachieved with last years team. But this year hes underachieving. Some head scratching decisions like the zone, running shot clock down to 7 up by 1 with 50 seconds left, Hayes plays hard but he's not much help. The sec is much better this season, so its very difficult to see more than nit.

I believe in coach White, I believe in this team in March when it matters, agree we need Big John, agree we need to finish games off, agree we need to get back to the mindset that passing creates shots, not dribbling

Coach White needs to come up with better plays instead of the constant pick & go… Too many teams has been defending it too easily…

But I will say these refs were pretty darn bad tonight… Even the commentators said something about them as Clemson was getting away with elbows to the back of the head while Florida couldn’t even defend whatsoever without being called!!!

Coach White needs to come up with better plays instead of the constant pick & go… Too many teams has been defending it too easily…

But I will say these refs were pretty darn bad tonight… Even the commentators said something about them as Clemson was getting away with elbows to the back of the head while Florida couldn’t even defend whatsoever without being called!!!

It’s execution, not coaching, they will get better, especially when Big John gets 4-5 weeks in before tourney time, and maybe we even get Stokes back, but I’m less confident of his return
This team was built for a long run in March, but injuries can humble any team

Reactions: ocalaman

You're the guy who just a couple weeks ago said this year's team was better than the 05-07 national champion squads. Your opinion is meaningless. Forever.

You're the guy who just a couple weeks ago said this year's team was better than the 05-07 national champion squads. Your opinion is meaningless. Forever.

I was MacElwain’d, fooled into thinking they were good until crunch time… Btw why don’t you come out from behind your morphing little fella……

We are a hot mess right now. Up 31-30 against 4-8 James Madison at the half. We are just so tight.

The biggest issue other than lack of big man development is team chemistry issues between Chiozza, Allen, Hudson and Egor.

College hoops are crazy this year, asu is #3, I can’t tell you the last time they danced in March without research, just saw that Wofford beat unc, so I’ll take the w against jmu and trust that coach White is doing what he needs to do until Big John and maybe stokes return and get in the rotation for 4-5 weeks, get a ticket in March, a favorable bracket and look to advance. I still believe that this team will be a tough out in March, that can beat anyone with the 3, and some big John inspired defense

I agree that White's assistant that works with the bigs has apparently not done a very good job of it so far.

C John Egbunu --------- 6-11 265 rsSr (rehabbing Knee)

C/PF Kevarrius Hayes - 6-9 225 Jr
PF/C Keith Stone ------- 6-8 245 rsSo
C Gorjok Gak ------------ 6-11 245 So
PF/C Dontay Basset ---- 6-9 240 Fr
PF Chase Johnson ----- 6-9 205 Fr (is he dinged up?)

C/PF Isaiah Stokes ------ 6-8 270 Fr (rehabbing Knee)

The reason that I wanted Pelphrey retained by White was for coaching the bigs. Too bad that didn't work out or happen. It might be Whites one mistake when he put together his staff? I'm pretty sure that John wanted a shot a being the Gator HC, so maybe that kind of friction is what kept him from being retained.

BillyD hired Pelphrey twice, and he seemed to work well with all of the Gator bigs in his 2x's here. Ah well.... :cool:

Crystal Ball says..... :confused:

It's still long way and many games till the Dance or the NIT.
I'll wait to see how it all turns out. Halfway through last season, not many thought that last years team would make it all the way to the Elite-8... :cool:

It's amazing how different this team has looked the last 3 weeks compared to how they looked the 1st 5 games. A lot of it, to me, is lack of confidence on offense and lack of communication on defense. Our shooters are just not making enough wide open shots and they are just a step slow reacting on defense. The talent is there, but right now something is missing. The SEC is much deeper this year than it has been in a while and it will be interesting to see how the team handles the conference grind.

I’m not sold on Mike White. He’s only made the tourney once in his entire career. I don’t think he makes it this year either.
If he doesn't and we keep playing like we are....he will have to go. I hope not...we looked good early and played Duke hard. That would be very disappointing.

Pretty solid start to league play. Vandy’s Record is bad but they have some players. Allen and Chiozza were good and we played good defense. Is Hudson hurt? Interesting he only played 8 minutes. Allen looks better when Hudson’s not on the floor.

I can't believe a few are talking bad about Mike White. He is a tremendous coach and a great hire who should be our coach for a long, long time. He can only put players in positions to be successful. He can't shoot for them, he can't communicate for them on the floor and he can't control injuries and sickness. The way this team started the season was an anomaly and reality has now set in. They are simply weak in the paint on both ends of the floor and have too many lapses on defense. They are a better shooting team than last year, but can't rely solely on 3's to win games. Free throw shooting is much improved. There are quality players on this team, plus a solid recruiting class coming in next year. We got to the Elite 8 last year with an overachieving group and if we are patient Coach White will get this program back to where it was under Billy D. Basketball is a long season and it's all about the tournament at the end. This team will get better as they learn to play together and get their bigs healthy.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Pretty solid start to league play. Vandy’s Record is bad but they have some players. Allen and Chiozza were good and we played good defense. Is Hudson hurt? Interesting he only played 8 minutes. Allen looks better when Hudson’s not on the floor.
Hudson was sick. He missed practice time during the week

This team has fallen apart. Too bad.
choke, choke, choke
The Gators are 10-4, 2-0 SEC and just beat #11 aTm in their house by +17.

Bad, bad coaching
I’m not sold on Mike White. He’s only made the tourney once in his entire career. I don’t think he makes it this year either.

BTW -- Mike White is #4 in the SEC All Time in win total after 2 seasons.
BillyD's last season was a 16 win loser season.
Whites 1st year was with 20+ wins and the NIT.
His 2nd season he took them all the way to the Elite-8.

C John Egbunu --------- 6-11 265 rsSr (still rehabbing ACL knee)
C/PF Isaiah Stokes ------ 6-8 270 Fr (still rehabbing ACL knee)
PF Chase Johnson ----- 6-9 205 Fr (still in concussion protocol)
I expect that when those 3 become available again, that it will make quite a significant difference in the TEAM'S overall performance. o_O

The Gator's currently lead the SEC in team FT% at 77.7%. :cool:
3-Gor might lead the World with 40 of 41 FT's for 97.6%. :eek:

The Gators are 10-4, 2-0 SEC and just beat #11 aTm in their house by +17.

BTW -- Mike White is #4 in the SEC All Time in win total after 2 seasons.
BillyD's last season was a 16 win loser season.
Whites 1st year was with 20+ wins and the NIT.
His 2nd season he took them all the way to the Elite-8.

C John Egbunu --------- 6-11 265 rsSr (still rehabbing ACL knee)
C/PF Isaiah Stokes ------ 6-8 270 Fr (still rehabbing ACL knee)
PF Chase Johnson ----- 6-9 205 Fr (still in concussion protocol)
I expect that when those 3 become available again, that it will make quite a significant difference in the TEAM'S overall performance. o_O

The Gator's currently lead the SEC in team FT% at 77.7%. :cool:
3-Gor might lead the World with 40 of 41 FT's for 97.6%. :eek:
Yeah, I think MJ & Paco spoke negatively way too early. White is an excellent coach and will get better the longer he's on the sidelines, just like Billy D did.

I like White because his teams seem to get better defensively as the year goes on. Before Egbunu got hurt last year, I think they were one of the best defensive teams in the country. They are starting to play better now. Hayes has been giving great effort inside, and they are digging in on the perimeter. They’re inconsistent because I don’t think there’s much difference among the top 30 teams.

The reason I was so negative was the way we were losing. Of our 4 losses, we had 3 in the bag to win. We melted down the stretch.

We have not had a close game down the stretch since then. I will be interested to see how the team responds when it happens again

Some of ya'll are drama queens, this UF team is in the dance for sure, it's just a matter of what seed. Getting Egbunu back and getting him up to speed will make a huge difference as we're softer than an fsu freshman's SAT scores on the interior, he adds toughness and interior defense which we need like a uga fan needs dentures.

ADVERTISEMENT