ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me or are we assembling a staff or what?!

And you guys wonder why we make fun of you.
I think that's a mutual occurance

"Hey I totally cannot prove my assertion, but unless you guys can disprove it, I believe it with my whole heart!"

There's actually basis...I recall seeing someone else run the numbers a few years ago. I just don't remember who.

Oh, and Igloo, when did you stop beating your wife?

Why would I do that? She'll start getting out of line if I do.

If Grantham was at FSU you'd say he was nothing special. And you'd be right. He was average at Georgia and Louisville.

Well Grantham had a # 5, # 6, # 11 and # 13 total defense(yards/game) in those years at Georgia and Louisville. He also just had a # 10 defense at Miss State of all places. So I would say 5 top 13 defenses in 8 years is pretty dang good considering he only had one bad year.

Here's part of the equation, MJ.

43 times the winner of the FSU/UF rivalry was won by a ranked team. FSU is 22-21-1 in those games. What is NOT shown by this is if the losing team was ranked.

*1 November 22, 1958 Gainesville #12 Florida 21–7
2 November 21, 1959 Gainesville Florida 18–8
3 September 24, 1960 Gainesville Florida 3–0
4 September 30, 1961 Gainesville Tie 3–3
5 November 17, 1962 Gainesville Florida 20–7
6 November 30, 1963 Gainesville Florida 7–0
7 November 30, 1964 Tallahassee Florida State 16–7
8 November 27, 1965 Gainesville Florida 30–17
*9 October 8, 1966 Tallahassee #10 Florida 22–19
10 November 25, 1967 Gainesville Florida State 21–16
*11 September 28, 1968 Tallahassee #5 Florida 9–3
*12 October 4, 1969 Gainesville #12 Florida 21–6
13 October 10, 1970 Tallahassee Florida 38–27
14 October 16, 1971 Gainesville Florida 17–15
15 October 7, 1972 Tallahassee Florida 42–13
16 December 1, 1973 Gainesville Florida 49–0
*17 October 19, 1974 Tallahassee #14 Florida 24–14
*18 October 18, 1975 Gainesville #14 Florida 34–8
*19 October 16, 1976 Tallahassee #12 Florida 33–26
*20 December 3, 1977 Gainesville #19 Florida State 37–9
21 November 25, 1978 Tallahassee Florida State 38–21
*22 November 24, 1979 Gainesville #5 Florida State 27–16
*23 December 6, 1980 Tallahassee #3 Florida State 17–13
24 November 28, 1981 Gainesville Florida 35–3
25 December 4, 1982 Tallahassee Florida 13–10
*26 December 3, 1983 Gainesville #12 Florida 53–14
*27 December 1, 1984 Tallahassee #3 Florida 27–17
*28 November 30, 1985 Gainesville #6 Florida 38–14
29 November 29, 1986 Tallahassee Florida 17–13
*30 November 28, 1987 Gainesville #3 Florida State 28–14
*31 November 26, 1988 Tallahassee #5 Florida State 52–17
*32 December 2, 1989 Gainesville #6 Florida State 24–17
*33 December 1, 1990 Tallahassee #8 Florida State 45–30
*34 November 30, 1991 Gainesville #5 Florida 14–9
*35 November 28, 1992 Tallahassee #3 Florida State 45–24
*36 November 27, 1993 Gainesville #1 Florida State 33–21
*37 November 26, 1994 Tallahassee Tie 31–31
*38 January 2, 1995 New Orleans #7 Florida State 23–17
*39 November 25, 1995 Gainesville #3 Florida 35–24
*40 November 30, 1996 Tallahassee #2 Florida State 24–21
*41 January 2, 1997 New Orleans #3 Florida 52–20
*42 November 22, 1997 Gainesville #10 Florida 32–29
*43 November 21, 1998 Tallahassee #5 Florida State 23–12
*44 November 20, 1999 Gainesville #1 Florida State 30–23
*45 November 18, 2000 Tallahassee #3 Florida State 30–7
*46 November 17, 2001 Gainesville #4 Florida 37–13
*47 November 30, 2002 Tallahassee #23 Florida State 31–14
*48 November 29, 2003 Gainesville #9 Florida State 38–34
49 November 20, 2004 Tallahassee Florida 20–13
*50 November 26, 2005 Gainesville #19 Florida 34–7
*51 November 25, 2006 Tallahassee #4 Florida 21–14
*52 November 24, 2007 Gainesville #9 Florida 45–12
*53 November 29, 2008 Tallahassee #2 Florida 45–15
*54 November 28, 2009 Gainesville #1 Florida 37–10
*55 November 27, 2010 Tallahassee #22 Florida State 31–7
56 November 26, 2011 Gainesville Florida State 21–7
*57 November 24, 2012 Tallahassee #4 Florida 37–26
*58 November 30, 2013 Gainesville #2 Florida State 37–7
*59 November 29, 2014 Tallahassee #1 Florida State 24–19
*60 November 28, 2015 Gainesville #14 Florida State 27–2
*61 November 26, 2016 Tallahassee #14 Florida State 31–13
62 November 25, 2017 Gainesville Florida State 38–22

Last edited:
Another interesting tidbit I found while researching.

AP Weekly Appearance Streaks: Top 25 / All-time
RK Team Polls First-Last
1. Nebraska 348 1981-2002
2. Florida State 211 1989-2001
3. Florida 209 1990-2002
4. Alabama 163* 2008-2017
5. Miami (FL) 162 1985-1995

Pretty impressive from the 'Big 3' of Florida

Another interesting tidbit I found while researching.

AP Weekly Appearance Streaks: Top 25 / All-time
RK Team Polls First-Last
1. Nebraska 348 1981-2002
2. Florida State 211 1989-2001
3. Florida 209 1990-2002
4. Alabama 163* 2008-2017
5. Miami (FL) 162 1985-1995

Pretty impressive from the 'Big 3' of Florida
Holy crap Nebraska

Here's part of the equation, MJ.

43 times the winner of the FSU/UF rivalry was won by a ranked team. FSU is 22-22-1 in those games. What is NOT shown by this is if the losing team was ranked.

Unless I misunderstand your numbers, this is exactly even? So, in your mind, this means FSU has had an advantage?

Mercy!

Teams competing in the Best Football Conference, with the far and away toughest defenses year after year, in the Nation:
Florida - Yes
FSUcks- No

We know it.
Blobby Bowdown certainly knew it.
And all of you criminoles know it, o_O you just don't like having to admit it. :rolleyes:

Unless I misunderstand your numbers, this is exactly even? So, in your mind, this means FSU has had an advantage?

Mercy!
Actually, that was a typo. FSU is 22-21-1 in those games, BUT I do not know (based on the presented data) if the losing team was ranked. There are 43 games where someone would have to find the AP poll ranking for the week of that game.

You up for the grind?

Actually, that was a typo. FSU is 22-21-1 in those games, BUT I do not know (based on the presented data) if the losing team was ranked. There are 43 games where someone would have to find the AP poll ranking for the week of that game.

You up for the grind?

Stick to the memes and gifs

You up for the grind?
oH. So a slight advantage.

Whatever twinkle toes. You are not strengthening your case.

You up for the grind?
Here ya go
In games where both teams were ranked.
Fsu is 13-10-1
Other facts.
An unranked UF team has beaten a ranked fsu 4 times
An unranked fsu has never beaten a ranked UF team
Another game early in the rivalry a ranked UF beat an unranked fsu which finished the season ranked

oH. So a slight advantage.

Whatever twinkle toes. You are not strengthening your case.
Point is, UF rides that "head-to-head" record like it's the end all be all. However, in all actuality the programs are pretty even and when it counts, FSU has a slight edge (or as Panhandle Slim pointed out 13-10-1). Both programs have 3 titles, 3 Heismans, and usually capitalize when the other program down.

Last edited:
Reactions: CurtOFD78
Be careful what you wish for. FSU's coaching staff are better from top to bottom and will lock down Florida and be an increased force in other areas, such as Georgia, the DMV and ARK. Not to mention our usual ability to recruit nationally, such as on the west coast. Stay tuned!

l o freaking l

Point is, UF rides that "head-to-head" record like it's the end all be all. However, in all actuality the programs are pretty even and when it counts, FSU has a slight edge (or as Panhandle Slim pointed out 13-10-1). Both programs have 3 titles, 3 Heismans, and usually capitalize when the other program down.
This is bullshit, period. Head to head games always matter. And for bragging right purposes, are near the top of the list. Parsing the timing and circumstances of various wins is a lot of fun, so I am with you there, but doing so is hardly defining. At least, where it is more important than head to head. Now, if FSU had more NCs than Florida, and twice in their history they have done just that, and you want to make a case that is a more important bragging right than head to head, then you will get no disagreement from me. But right now both teams are tied three to three and have no bragging rights more important than head to head.

So, on that note of NCs and bragging right, let's parse. In fact, let's do the ultimate parse. Florida has demonstrably prevented FSU from winning one national title. You might remember that. It happened in 1997, after the end of the 1996 regular season? Here is a hint. The score ended up 52-20. In a national title game between Florida and FSU. The Noles have NEVER beaten Florida head to head for the NC. Until you do, we have that nearly ultimate bragging right, other than total NCs. (see how easy that is?)

Second, Florida prevented FSU from the opportunity to play for another NC. That happened in 1997, when Fat Dog and Doug Johnson beat the top ranked and undefeated Noles in a Gainesville regular season game. Due solely to that loss, FSU was denied the right to play for a NC. FSU has NEVER prevented Florida from playing in a NC game.

FSU fans, for all the nice things they like to remember, can't top either of those.

This is bullshit, period. Head to head games always matter. And for bragging right purposes, are near the top of the list. Parsing the timing and circumstances of various wins is a lot of fun, so I am with you there, but doing so is hardly defining. At least, where it is more important than head to head. Now, if FSU had more NCs than Florida, and twice in their history they have done just that, and you want to make a case that is a more important bragging right than head to head, then you will get no disagreement from me. But right now both teams are tied three to three and have no bragging rights more important than head to head.

So, on that note of NCs and bragging right, let's parse. In fact, let's do the ultimate parse. Florida has demonstrably prevented FSU from winning one national title. You might remember that. It happened in 1997, after the end of the 1996 regular season? Here is a hint. The score ended up 52-20. In a national title game between Florida and FSU. The Noles have NEVER beaten Florida head to head for the NC. Until you do, we have that nearly ultimate bragging right, other than total NCs. (see how easy that is?)

Second, Florida prevented FSU from the opportunity to play for another NC. That happened in 1997, when Fat Dog and Doug Johnson beat the top ranked and undefeated Noles in a Gainesville regular season game. Due solely to that loss, FSU was denied the right to play for a NC. FSU has NEVER prevented Florida from playing in a NC game.

FSU fans, for all the nice things they like to remember, can't top either of those.

I agree head to head is most significant. Winning the last 5 in a row and 7 of last 8 is huge. Makes 20 and 40 yr. old games pale for me.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai

I agree the 1996 NC is a hard one to top and I never subscribe to revisionist history (UF shouldn't have been there...we were technically 1-1 on the season...blah blah blah). UF handed FSU their arse and won a title. It happened. It sucked.

I agree head to head is most significant. Winning the last 5 in a row and 7 of last 8 is huge. Makes 20 and 40 yr. old games pale for me.
That is fine. But you *do* realize it is also 7 of the last 14? Do those losses "pale" for you?

In Football:

UF has 3 NC's (1996 vs FSU, 2006 vs tOSU, 2008 vs OK)

FSUcks has 3 NC's (1993 vs Neb, 1999 vs VaT, 2013 vs AU)

When it 'COUNTS THE MOST' -- NC UF 52 - 20 FSUcks also ran... :p
Gator Spread = +32 ---
Now that's a 'counts most ass-kickin' of epic levels!

However, when we bring up the Director's Cup Standings,,, or total All Sports NC's, it always goes eerily silent in tallycrappy.... :rolleyes:

Plus UF is one of only 4 teams in NCAA history to have won a NC in the Men's Big Three sports, football (3), basketball (2), baseball (1). :cool:
UF has 6 Big-3 NC's in the last 21 years, while FSUcks just has the 3 in football.

And UF is the only one of those 4 teams to have completed the trifecta in the last 50 years (21 Yrs). The competition is a bit tougher now days than it was back when those other 3 (tOSU - UCLA - Mich) completed their big three.

Not sure what this means.

Looking at your list, I see 7 signees and 5 commits for a #24 ranking. I looked at every uncommitted top 100 player, none of them have even visited FSU.

So, not seeing anything insane. I see a poster who is heavily delusional, maybe that counts.
You must be Taggart's good luck charm. Since you posted this FSU has landed a Rivals 100 WR, a Rivals 100 LB, & a Rivals 250 DE.

Reactions: CurtOFD78
You must be Taggart's good luck charm. Since you posted this FSU has landed a Rivals 100 WR, a Rivals 100 LB, & a Rivals 250 DE.
Taggart has been doing a phenomenal job...we went from #74 to #16. I think he would have done even better had this not been the first year for the early signing period.

Both UF and FSU have done well considering. The early signing period is gonna make transition classes real hard now so to even be in the top 15 range is really good.

Taggart has been doing a phenomenal job...we went from #74 to #16. I think he would have done even better had this not been the first year for the early signing period.

I really don't put a lot of stock in the going from 74 to 16 thing. FSU had so few commitments at that point that being #74 was completely meaningless. With that said, Taggart landing 6 Rivals 100 guys in a transition class is flat out impressive. To put it into perspective: Fisher, Mullen, & Chip Kelly currently have 5 Rivals 100 players. Not 5 each; 5 combined.

And to think, Taggart was made fun of by several posters on this board after the early signing period for his recruiting efforts. It's as if they completely forgot he had just been named the Head Coach and the most important signing period was still to come. Now he's proving he knows what he's doing on the recruiting trail and IMO it's more impressive than Mullen's work, albeit impressive in its own right. Also, Taggart still has a few guys left that will likely sign on the dotted line come next Wednesday, which will further raise the bar.

When you said we would see insane things that would make our heads explode, or words to that effect, I wasn't expecting mid teens. Consider my head, unexploded.

And to think, Taggart was made fun of by several posters on this board after the early signing period for his recruiting efforts. It's as if they completely forgot he had just been named the Head Coach and the most important signing period was still to come. Now he's proving he knows what he's doing on the recruiting trail and IMO it's more impressive than Mullen's work, albeit impressive in its own right. Also, Taggart still has a few guys left that will likely sign on the dotted line come next Wednesday, which will further raise the bar.

In all seriousness, it's got to be pretty frustrating for UM & UF fans that after 7 years of being out recruited by Fisher FSU gets literally the only coach they could possibly land that's an upgrade in the recruiting department. I give Richt credit, he did a good job of cashing in with an excellent class while UF and FSU were in transition, but it's obvious that they're going to the back of the line in terms of recruiting in the state of FL. I mean just look at their 2019 commits. It's actually kind of embarrassing and I'm seriously not flaming when I say that:

https://miami.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

Where do you people come up with his stuff?

Everybody knows Willie can recruit. Jimbo recruited top tier classes.

That was never a question.

The question was his scatterbrained management and career losing record.

So far, the management side has shown to be scatterbrained. (Go ahead, beligerantly tell me why that’s not so, whatever, I’ve been here for damned near 15 years and anyone should know I like my Shtick but come on, the handling of the hiring process has been...unconventional at best).

Bragging on his recruiting and somehow touring it as an upgrade to Jimbo is laughable.

That’s like Kansas’s football fans (I assume they exist) arguing about who was fatter: Weis or Mangino

In all seriousness, it's got to be pretty frustrating for UM & UF fans that after 7 years of being out recruited by Fisher FSU gets literally the only coach they could possibly land that's an upgrade in the recruiting department. I give Richt credit, he did a good job of cashing in with an excellent class while UF and FSU were in transition, but it's obvious that they're going to the back of the line in terms of recruiting in the state of FL. I mean just look at their 2019 commits. It's actually kind of embarrassing and I'm seriously not flaming when I say that:

https://miami.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

Why would Gator fans be frustrated, UF significantly upgraded at HC, while FSU downgraded

Where do you people come up with his stuff?

Everybody knows Willie can recruit. Jimbo recruited top tier classes.

That was never a question.

The question was his scatterbrained management and career losing record.

So far, the management side has shown to be scatterbrained. (Go ahead, beligerantly tell me why that’s not so, whatever, I’ve been here for damned near 15 years and anyone should know I like my Shtick but come on, the handling of the hiring process has been...unconventional at best).

Bragging on his recruiting and somehow touring it as an upgrade to Jimbo is laughable.

That’s like Kansas’s football fans (I assume they exist) arguing about who was fatter: Weis or Mangino
I don't know if you can say for certain that Taggart won't be an upgrade to the burnt out post divorce Jimbo of the last 2 years.

I don't understand why he is automatically labelled as a downgrade compared to Fisher when he really hasn't been in an ideal location where he can showcase his coaching abilities.. He has improved everywhere he has been at. His overall record is by no means impressive, but he hasn't had any where near the talent he now has. All I'm saying is he may be a downgrade, but he may be an upgrade. No one knows. Time will tell.

Well I'll say I'm much more worried about a Florida team with a spread uptempo attack than I am Jimbo's slow, conservative offense. Even when FSU was stacked with talent offensively I never feared them because of scheme. So if Taggert recruits as well offensively as Jimbo they'll be harder to stop on scheme alone.

Well I'll say I'm much more worried about a Florida team with a spread uptempo attack than I am Jimbo's slow, conservative offense. Even when FSU was stacked with talent offensively I never feared them because of scheme. So if Taggert recruits as well offensively as Jimbo they'll be harder to stop on scheme alone.
Taggart averages like 12-15 more plays per game than Jimbolt...or something like that.

I'll certainly miss that ole false start out of a time out play though. o_O

Taggart averages like 12-15 more plays per game than Jimbolt...or something like that.

I'll certainly miss that ole false start out of a time out play though. o_O

The flip side of that is that a couple of quick 3 and outs can gas your defense. It's a trade off. The days of playing 17-10 games with Duke are definitely over though.

Jimbo believed his own hype as some guru. Guy would run a simple off tackle run but have a million hand signals and have the play be a whole sentence. All that isn't necessary in college. Being complicated for the sake of being complicated is whack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT