ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me or are we assembling a staff or what?!

NorthJerseyGator

Gator Great
Sep 17, 2010
Look at all that SEC experience:

Mullen
Johnson
Gonzales
Hevesy
Grantham
Knox
Sunseri
Warren

And we going to officially keep Seider and Skipper at some point?

The "feel good" since day one of Mullen era just keeps on feeling good with each new day that passes. Getting top flight transfers, top flight recruits, experienced coaches.

Can't freakin' wait until 9/1/2018.

He’s putting together a great staff IMO. There is one coach I’m not the highest on but that is it. I believe Mullen is trying to keep Seider. I don’t believe Skipper will be on the staff.

Reactions: Num1gator
NJG, WE??? You got a rat in your pocket or sumptin? :D

But I fully agree with you on the point of your post. :cool:
That Dan is putting together a 'Top Quality' group of Assistant Coaches! :)

I (iG) like the 2 new coaching hires,,, a lot! :)

Dan Mullen announced the addition to his staff of two veteran coaches who have more than 60 years of combined coaching experience, Greg Knox and Sal Sunseri.
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/1/2/football-mullen-announces-hiring-of-knox-and-sunseri.aspx

I want coach Knox to get busy fixing the Gator's Special Teams. He'll already have great kickers to work with, but the cover and return teams need work.... BTW, Knox was the 2017 interim MsSt HC in their recent bowl win over UL. His last 3 jobs were at Miss, AU, and MsSt, so he has very solid SEC experience.

Sunseri - 2013-14 FSU, then 2015-17 Oakland Raiders. He's also coached at TN and LSU. The Gator front 7 on defense should be pretty darn happy with this hire, I know I am! ;)

Whichever positions those 2 end up coaching, they are both top quality coaches imo, so welcome to the Gator Nation guys! :cool:

Coaching Staff

HC Dan Mullen

DC Todd Grantham

Billy Gonzales WR-??

John Hevesy OL-??

Brian Johnson QB-??

Greg Knox ST/RB-??

Ja'Juan Seider RB-??

Sal Sunseri DL/LB-??

Charlton Warren DB-??

The new 10th Coach has yet to be determined/hired.
(Skipper is not listed on the 2018 Gator Coaches roster)

Nick Savage - Director of Football Strength & Conditioning
====================

YeeeeeHAW!!! DE CeCe is coming back for his Sr season.
I wonder if Mullen's hiring of Sunseri's had anything to do with his decision???

LT Ivey, and any other Jr, still has until Jan. 15th to decide to stay or to leave early for the NFL.

Gator E-D's so far (Jr early departures) include:
K Pineiro, DT Bryan, & the indefinitely suspended WR Callaway.

Last edited:
Hevesy to be honest but he was on our staff last time we won a title.

I know Hevesey isn’t a recruiter but the dude’s line went toe to toe with Bama this year with Miss St 2 and 3* talent. Clemson got eaten alive with 4 and 5* talent. Also, OL coach is the most important staff member for familiarity. I have a friend who is a college OL coach one step from being in a P5 conference and moat coaches keep their OL guy with them

Look at all that SEC experience:

Mullen
Johnson
Gonzales
Hevesy
Grantham
Knox
Sunseri
Warren

And we going to officially keep Seider and Skipper at some point?

The "feel good" since day one of Mullen era just keeps on feeling good with each new day that passes. Getting top flight transfers, top flight recruits, experienced coaches.

Can't freakin' wait until 9/1/2018.

He is truly the anti-Mac. He is organized and has an exact plan to execute for winning. No BS, going to get it right and everything is well thought out. Much more Urban than Mac like

You guys can deny it all you want, but since Willie arrived in Trailerhassee nothing has gone as expected.
Well, you know what they say about expectations.

I'll hold my judgment (from a hiring perspective) until the "dead period" is over and we do or don't have a staff in place. We've got some great leads on a DC at the moment that has me very optimistic...the rest will fall into place.

Yeah, but once fsu announces Nuss as a hire, it gonna be lit!
tenor.gif

I won't complain about landing Michigan's Fry for the OL nor UGA's Mel Tucker (if it happens) as DC.

Frey would be a good get, I would be surprised if Tucker left UGA. I think FSU may be targeting the Co-DC at Mich. St, I believe his name is Harlon Barnett

Frey would be a good get, I would be surprised if Tucker left UGA. I think FSU may be targeting the Co-DC at Mich. St, I believe his name is Harlon Barnett

Yes, that is correct. I think we'll offer Tucker, but UGA will likely counter. Hoping we get Coley back as WR coach too.

FYI: It's official on Frey.

UFs assistant coach staff is by far the best we've had since Meyer was the head coach. It worked out just like I hoped it would. We dumped everybody and was able to keep Seider.

meanwhile, at FSU, Taggert is putting together a bunch of his Western Kentucky and USF buddies

Right says the guy who said "he is coming..." about Kelly. Also said Corral and Fields coming to UF. Dude you have been proven over and over to be FOS...

Keep preaching little man.

You're correct and both would be great hires.

Don;t worry about our staff. We aren't worried about Grantham or the GA from MSU you hired as your LB coach. We still have a much more talented roster and that wont change with Willie.

We got some big time coaches and recruiters on the staff. Seider is the icing on the cake. I really like this Christian Robinson guy as likely our 10th assistant coach. Went very young with that 10th guy and someone who will be a top notch recruiter.

Grantham is the anti-Shannon. We will now have a very aggressive defense again which will be a very good fit with our athletes that he will have.

Reactions: Nebraska Gator II
Right says the guy who said "he is coming..." about Kelly. Also said Corral and Fields coming to UF. Dude you have been proven over and over to be FOS...

Keep preaching little man.

So salty, try not to take this, or yourself so seriously.

I would like to see at least one guy with the track record of being able to recruit the South with Dabo. The new DC hire is not that....Kind of sad we waited a month for a choice somewhere down the list.
Not sure the DC is being brought in for his recruiting prowess...there are enough elite recruiters on staff to handle that and bringing James Coley back would simply be icing.

UPDATE: Take a look at MST's message boards...the tears are salty. For them it's a huge loss and many are commenting on how recruiting will take a massive hit.

Harlon Barnett is an average DC hire. He was only the Co-DC at Mich St. For comparison’s sake Todd Grantham and Manny Diaz are much better.

Not sure the DC is being brought in for his recruiting prowess...there are enough elite recruiters on staff to handle that and bringing James Coley back would simply be icing.

UPDATE: Take a look at MST's message boards...the tears are salty. For them it's a huge loss and many are commenting on how recruiting will take a massive hit.
He didn't call the plays. He has a track record of solid talent eval of 2 and 3 star players from the North. But how is that going to translate to FSU? Hard to spin this as being a top shelf pick, never mind that this could have happened a month ago and helped us with the early signing period. This just adds to the narrative that WT is a fly by the seat of his pants type of guy. And, where the H is Dugans? We were told he was coming the day after UM's bowl game? He has a track record with WT and lobbied to get on Jimbo's staff a couple of years ago. This should also have happened days if not weeks ago.

This just adds to the narrative that WT is a fly by the seat of his pants type of guy. And, where the H is Dugans? We were told he was coming the day after UM's bowl game? He has a track record with WT and lobbied to get on Jimbo's staff a couple of years ago. This should also have happened days if not weeks ago.
This is kind of what many people have said about him is that he isn’t very organized.

This is kind of what many people have said about him is that he isn’t very organized.
Hell, after Mr. Absolute Control, Jimbolt Fisher, I'll take a little UNorganization. No joke.

Personally, I'm liking Taggarts hires...seems he's bringing in a younger, hungry staff that can recruit. We certainly won't truly know what we've got until kick-off, but anything's got to be better than the Trickett Turnstile OL and Kelly's infamous "3rd and Kelly".

Harlon Barnett is an average DC hire. He was only the Co-DC at Mich St. For comparison’s sake Todd Grantham and Manny Diaz are much better.

Since the Co-DC title seems to matter somehow, he also was Associate Head Coach as well.

If Grantham was at FSU you'd say he was nothing special. And you'd be right. He was average at Georgia and Louisville.

Reactions: samdingo
ADVERTISEMENT