ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me or are we assembling a staff or what?!

...Guy would run a simple off tackle run but have a million hand signals and have the play be a whole sentence. All that isn't necessary in college. Being complicated for the sake of being complicated is whack.

NdNGbXC.gif

Jimbo believed his own hype as some guru. Guy would run a simple off tackle run but have a million hand signals and have the play be a whole sentence. All that isn't necessary in college. Being complicated for the sake of being complicated is whack.
Then after the game, Jimbo would revert back to said play and mention how it was one missed assignment from being six. Well coach, that's damn near every play in every game.

We need to bump all the post from all theses semi fans as early as last fall when they all talk about the greatness of Jimbo. Most of them put him right below Saban and Meyer. At least at the time. What a difference a few months make.

We need to bump all the post from all theses semi fans as early as last fall when they all talk about the greatness of Jimbo. Most of them put him right below Saban and Meyer. At least at the time. What a difference a few months make.
Or we can bump all the post from some of these gator fans about how Taggart is in over his head and won't recruit on Jimbo's level. What a difference a couple of months make.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Or we can bump all the post from some of these gator fans about how Taggart is in over his head and won't recruit on Jimbo's level. What a difference a couple of months make.

Yes, all the way up to the mid teens. What a superstar!

That has not quite happened, has it?

That has not quite happened, has it?
Well if you take into account how far FSU has climbed in the rankings compared to A&M since each coach moved on, I would say he is doing currently recruiting better than Jumbo. Give the man a full year to recruit and a Top 5 class will be expected. So yes it is happening and should continue to happen.

Reactions: CurtOFD78
The other part we don't know about. He may do well, he may not. You're hoping he fails, I'm hoping he succeeds. But neither of us can act like we know what will happen.

The other part we don't know about. He may do well, he may not. You're hoping he fails, I'm hoping he succeeds. But neither of us can act like we know what will happen.
Other than his history as a HC, you are right. That history favors my view more than yours.

Do you remember just last year when coach Mac took a recruiting ranking below 50 and pushed it into the top 20 in the final 2 weeks before signing day? That was the name of the school, combined with the lack of talent and numbers in the class, doing the recruiting.

Tell me how you know it's not exactly the same thing happening for Taggart.

I just don’t understand how the Noles seem to be glossing over some serious warning signs.

Maybe it because, unlike us, they haven’t had a Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain 10 of the last 16 years, but if we would have hired Taggert, I’m pretty sure we would be very weary of the signs and probably not terribly enthused.

I just don’t understand how the Noles seem to be glossing over some serious warning signs.

Maybe it because, unlike us, they haven’t had a Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain 10 of the last 16 years, but if we would have hired Taggert, I’m pretty sure we would be very weary of the signs and probably not terribly enthused.
He's unknown. He's turned the teams he's coached around quickly. He's a very good recruiter. Yes he has a losing record but he took over two winless programs and one that had collapsed in Oregon. Elephant in the room, no black coach has ever won or come close to winning a NC.

Maybe he wins big, maybe he gets fired in 3 years. Seems like you guys just want FSU fans to be miserable.

What are the “serious warning signs” we seem to be glossing over? I think most honest Nole fans would admit that there is no such thing as a risk free hire when ur getting a new coach. I mean GA seemed to get a good one but besides them, most schools have struggled to find their right coach. But what massive warning signs are we overlooking?

What are the “serious warning signs” we seem to be glossing over? I think most honest Nole fans would admit that there is no such thing as a risk free hire when ur getting a new coach. I mean GA seemed to get a good one but besides them, most schools have struggled to find their right coach. But what massive warning signs are we overlooking?

Like I said....maybe it’s being jaded/paranoid with 3 of our last 4 hires, but things like his overall record, the odd way he seemed to put his staff together, the idea that he’s going to be better than Jimbo somehow when his greatest attribute seems to be recruiting, but Jimbo/FSU had great recruiting anywhere. He does seem unorganized to me.

Again, in my mind there’s a lot of questions surrounding him that most Noles don’t seem to even acknowledge, or if they do, they try to cover it up with some of the more positive things and pretend that the concerns aren’t real.

Like I said; after Zook and Muschamp and McElwain, the idea of buying in despite the warning signs is no longer a thing.

Even with Mullen, we’re excited, but we do acknowledge that some of the things in his record are concerning. We tend to argue that his career has been at MSU where he’s had serious disadvantages yet still produced better results than any other coach in their history. He has a history with Florida, etc.

As I mentioned before, had we hired Taggart, there would be a lot more gloom and doom on our side as compared to the surprising optimism and excitement that Noles seem to have.

Not trying to make you guys miserable. Just interesting that you guys seem so confident about him.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
He's unknown. He's turned the teams he's coached around quickly. He's a very good recruiter. Yes he has a losing record but he took over two winless programs and one that had collapsed in Oregon. Elephant in the room, no black coach has ever won or come close to winning a NC.

Maybe he wins big, maybe he gets fired in 3 years. Seems like you guys just want FSU fans to be miserable.

I don’t think he’s going to be a disaster, but if I had to place money on it, I think he’s an 8-11 win kind of coach. But what’s 11-3? I know you guys have the same expectations we do, and if Mullen after 4-5 years is still a 9.5 win average guy, that’s going to be a problem.

As long as "turned around quickly" means his teams still had records that would have made FSU go ballistic. And not sure why you feel the need to play the race card here.

Seems like you guys just want FSU fans to be miserable.

"Seems like?" If it is not apparent, then we have failed.

As I mentioned before, had we hired Taggart, there would be a lot more gloom and doom on our side as compared to the surprising optimism and excitement that Noles seem to have.

Not trying to make you guys miserable. Just interesting that you guys seem so confident about him.

Seminole fans wouldn’t have been thrilled if you got Taggart. There were three coaches I didn’t want to see in Gainesville: Chip Kelly, Scott Frost and Willie Taggart.

Outside of Frost, Willie was our top guy which is why we are excited. Great recruiter, runs a fun offense and has helped turn around three programs. We’ve been frustrated with how pedestrian our offense has been since Jameis left even though we have one of the top 5 talented rosters in the country. We’re excited to see what Willie can do with it based on his offenses the last few years.

Have people watched the offense he ran at Oregon? I am not sure it was what people claim it is.

Willie nailed down a few Shannon-esque recruits today. Doin’ work

I would have gone ape&$&@ had we hired Taggart and so would have just about every other UF fan on this board.

Seminole fans wouldn’t have been thrilled if you got Taggart. There were three coaches I didn’t want to see in Gainesville: Chip Kelly, Scott Frost and Willie Taggart.

Outside of Frost, Willie was our top guy which is why we are excited. Great recruiter, runs a fun offense and has helped turn around three programs. We’ve been frustrated with how pedestrian our offense has been since Jameis left even though we have one of the top 5 talented rosters in the country. We’re excited to see what Willie can do with it based on his offenses the last few years.

Fair enough.

Like I said, maybe we’re jaded, but I wouldn’t be excited.

Likewise if we had got Mullen. Good coach but not the best fit for us. I think both schools got the best coach for their program.

Likewise if we had got Mullen. Good coach but not the best fit for us. I think both schools got the best coach for their program.

And that’s probably fair.

I think any of the Noles involved in this know I don’t generally antagonize just for the sake of it.

I think Mullen is a good fit for us.

I’m not sure why Willie T is a good fit for you.

Tremendous recruiter, we think he is a good coach based on his success turning around programs and he runs a wide open, fast break offense.

Season ticket and renewal sales are at a level higher than when we won the title in 2013. Willie is a home run in our eyes.

Other than Frost he was our top guy we wanted.

Like I said....maybe it’s being jaded/paranoid with 3 of our last 4 hires, but things like his overall record, the odd way he seemed to put his staff together, the idea that he’s going to be better than Jimbo somehow when his greatest attribute seems to be recruiting, but Jimbo/FSU had great recruiting anywhere. He does seem unorganized to me.

Again, in my mind there’s a lot of questions surrounding him that most Noles don’t seem to even acknowledge, or if they do, they try to cover it up with some of the more positive things and pretend that the concerns aren’t real.

Like I said; after Zook and Muschamp and McElwain, the idea of buying in despite the warning signs is no longer a thing.

Even with Mullen, we’re excited, but we do acknowledge that some of the things in his record are concerning. We tend to argue that his career has been at MSU where he’s had serious disadvantages yet still produced better results than any other coach in their history. He has a history with Florida, etc.

How does Taggart seem unorganized to you? What exactly do you know (or think you know) about how organized he is or how he operates? Please enlighten us all with your vast insight.

How do you know if UF hired Taggart "there would be a lot more gloom and doom"? If he were recruiting for UF the way he is recruiting for Florida State, I think you'd be ecstatic because he is doing an amazing job for FSU thus far.

What are the warning signs that you see that we don't?

oh jeebus. *another* earnest FSU fan going through a criticism-of-Taggart induced existential crises.

How does Taggart seem unorganized to you? What exactly do you know (or think you know) about how organized he is or how he operates? Please enlighten us all with your vast insight.

How do you know if UF hired Taggart "there would be a lot more gloom and doom"? If he were recruiting for UF the way he is recruiting for Florida State, I think you'd be ecstatic because he is doing an amazing job for FSU thus far.

Becuase he hired position coaches before he even hired an OC and DC. That is about as backwards as it gets when putting a staff together. It certainly isn’t the norm.

Whatever.

I’ve explained my position several times now.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead.

I’m not the Florida dan you’re looking for, I simply gave my opinion and the perspective of our fan base which you can’t ahare.

If that’s not good enough, if you think I’m simply trolling you, then have fun.

Plenty of long time Noles around here know I’m not “that guy.”

****ing absurd. You’re literally asking for validation and ignoring everything I’ve already said.

Becuase he hired position coaches before he even hired an OC and DC. That is about as backwards as it gets when putting a staff together. It certainly isn’t the norm.

I’ve explained this to you many times. Willie is the true OC so it didn’t matter he hired his RB coach who he has coached with forever and a TE coach which is a glorified recruiter. His OL coached with Harbaugh who is his mentor. Nothing about his offensive hires is unorganized.

Odell was retained by Jimbo in 2010 before he hired Stoops. He’s one of the best DL coaches in the country. It’s a no brainer to keep him. He hired Woody his longtime assistant. Barnett hired the DE coach himself.

Since you think he know it all and you don’t, in 2013 Jimbo hired everyone before he brought on Pruitt as DC except for Sunseri. The exact same hiring process.

It’s not unorganized. It’s just rival bias on your part.

So, you guys are going from omgomgFisherneedsaOC to omgomgTaggartishisownOCthatissoawesome.

I think it's optimism...the guy has re-birthed fun and energy into the program; something I hadn't even fully realized was completely gone. I think we gave Jimbolt a pass because he won us a championship, but the reality is FSU football (for us fans) has been BORING! He let coaches speak to the media ONE TIME per year for about 10 minutes. No social media for players or coaches. Heck, we couldn't get a word all season from our starting QB.

Known
Taggart can recruit - we already knew that
Taggart can relate to players and fans
Taggart is a lot of fun to interact with
Taggart appears to have a great offensive philosophy that will get the best players on the field without mastering a PHD in route tree thermal dynamics.

Unknown
Can Taggart manage a big time program? Quite possibly...he was doing it at Oregon
Can Taggart get the job done on the field with elite athletes? No one really knows at this point, but for the first time in a long time FSU fans are excited to find out.

Less you forget the annual, "Which $hitty ACC team will Jimbo lose to this year!?" thread(s). I picked BC last year and was right, but who knew I could have picked ANY ACC team and had great odds at winning.

----------

danny, do you remember how Spurrier made UF football fun? His offense was fun and SOS was always good for a sound bite. Zook was boring, Meyer's offense was fun, but he was an a$$hole, Mac was weird, SOS was fun.

*NOTE: I like Champ...always have. Hope it works out for him at USCjr.

Last edited:
So, you guys are going from omgomgFisherneedsaOC to omgomgTaggartishisownOCthatissoawesome.
There's nothing wrong with the HC being an OC...we wanted Jimbolt to give it up because we were tired of being lulled to sleep my his methodical, boring offense. The only time FSU football was fun was under Jameis, so I think you've been right all along, MJ...Jimbolt was Jameis. (but you had me on your train of truth a while ago)

I am not sure If any of those would be considered “serious warning signs” his overall record needs context. Just like Mullen’s losing sec record. Context means everything. His improvement of the schools he took over is the reason why most FSU fans are not overly concerned about his overall record.

I also think he put together a pretty solid staff. He also put together a good staff at Oregon. So he has shown he has that ability.

Better then jimbo? Who knows. But jimbo was on a downhill slide at FSU for whatever reason. It won’t take much for him to out do jimbos most recent Season.

Also there are plenty of FSU fans who acknowledge the uncertainties. I think we are optimistic and there is no reason we shouldn’t. Very few if any coaches are a sure thing when they are first hired

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT