ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

So us Gators are only blessed with the presence of the hoity toity Noles here? You and FSUtitle#'s find it more to your liking here with us cut above classy Gators than over with the low rent Nolies, I take it.

Love And Hip Hop Class GIF by VH1
Exqueeze Me? 💰

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Fever,

After Mertz & Miller bomb - we will still have Max Brown & the two walk-ons at QB - no worries !

P.S.

You do realize that with the $400 MM+++ BHG Stadium Upgrade that any chance of a CBN Buyout - if he fails to meet your W-L standards -
HAS BEEN CANCELED !

Nonsense - we heard all that with the prior coaches about buyouts but if our big boosters have upped the NIL game to give us top 6 high school classes he will probably make it if he can correct the QB situation in 2024 - unless Mertz shocks everyone with his play.

I’m more than fine with the big time Stadium upgrades as long as it doesn’t take away too much from our NIL efforts as well. But boosters do prefer to put more money into facilities and these type of things rather than basically “buying” players that are only there 3-4 years and then likely to never be heard from again.

I’m more than fine with the big time Stadium upgrades as long as it doesn’t take away too much from our NIL efforts as well.

But boosters do prefer to put more money into facilities and these type of things rather than basically “buying” players that are only there 3-4 years and then likely to never be heard from again.
Paco,

ABSOLUTELY AGREE !

IMO, there is a finite pool of money available for athletic (& all other) purposes; can't fund everything - all at one time.

I honestly don't know the tax structure of our current NIL$$$ organization.
But the UAA & their building fund IS a 501 (c) 3 organization & able to give tax deduction slips & since UF doesn't have the $400 MM to pay for BHG upgrades, IMO, that is extremely important.

One of our frequent posters is a CPA - perhaps he will post a few words on the tax advantages of the 501(C)3 paperwork.

$400 MM is not even the final price tag - it will end up being well OVER $500 MM -
There WILL BE Cost Overruns.

There will be a Last Second - SURPRISE !
-
They will add the new South End Zone project - it's already listed in the preliminary proposal - READ IT !

UF & the UAA will be contacting everyone who ever applied to UF or walked through the parking lot, to help pay for the BHG upgrades.
Funding for NIL, hopefully, won't disappear but will certainly diminish.

Fever's thoughts that they, if needed (don't think they will be as CBN, IMO, a keeper), can find the money for CBN's $30MM buyout isn't something I would want to test out.

Let's see - buyout CBN's contract when recruiting & team on the upswing;
AND
Bring in a new unproven HFC - which will screw up everything -
OR
put your name on a new Sky Box in the South End Zone - tough choice for a well heeled booster.

Fever,
Last buyout wasn't conducted during a massive quest (shakedown) for upgrade funds.

Getting blood from a Turnip difficult.

Odds of buyout & BHG Upgrades being funded simultaneously - ZERO !

Shame we can't be like the SOW (Home of the Clown College) & get classroom status for BHG Stadium. Then the State of Florida would pick up the tab for stadium upgrades.

Paco,

ABSOLUTELY AGREE !

IMO, there is a finite pool of money available for athletic (& all other) purposes; can't fund everything - all at one time.

But the UAA & their building fund IS a 501 (c) 3 organization & able to give tax deduction slips & since UF doesn't have the $400 MM to pay for BHG upgrades, IMO, that is extremely important.

One of our frequent posters is a CPA - perhaps he will post a few words on the tax advantages of the 501(C)3 paperwork.

$400 MM is not even the final price tag - it will end up being well OVER $500 MM -

-
They will add the new South End Zone project - it's already listed in the preliminary proposal - READ IT !

UF & the UAA will be contacting everyone who ever applied to UF or walked through the parking lot, to help pay for the BHG upgrades.

Fever's thoughts that they, if needed (don't think they will be as CBN, IMO, a keeper), can find the money for CBN's $30MM buyout isn't something I would want to test out.

AND
OR
put your name on a new Sky Box in the South End Zone - tough choice for a well heeled booster.

Fever,
Last buyout wasn't conducted during a massive quest (shakedown) for upgrade funds.

Shame we can't be like the SOW (Home of the Clown College) & get classroom status for BHG Stadium. Then the State of Florida would pick up the tab for stadium upgrades.
Who's a CPA here?

More on BHG Upgrade

The Associated Press confirmed on Monday that the venue that houses the Swamp will receive an overhaul that is expected to cost at least $400 million and be a “multigeneration solution” for an aging and iconic stadium in the heart of Florida’s campus

*** $400 MM Just the starting point ***

Athletic director Scott Stricklin said it’s “premature to speculate” on the final cost, as well as other variables such as seating capacity and a specific timeline for the project. It was made clear, however, the main goal of the renovations will be to transform the game-day experience for fans while maintaining a lot of what helped the Gators create one of the most daunting home-field advantages in the Southeastern Conference.

“Whatever work we do there doesn’t need to be a Band-Aid,”

Translation -
UAA fixing to spend a whole heap of everybody else's Damn money !

Stricklin said at the league’s spring meetings last month. “It needs to be a multigenerational solution to continue to give that stadium for future generations a chance to come and watch the Gators there.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/03/florida-football-ben-hill-griffin-stadium-renovations/

If you ever applied to the Univ Florida or walked across Univ Ave & 13th Street - the UAA will be in touch asking you -
To personally support this "multigenerational solution."

Per ESPN

Proposed upgrades are sure to include wider concourses, less bench seating, more concession options, larger video boards, a new sound system and improved lighting throughout.
Capacity is expected to be reduced by thousands.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...a-takes-first-step-400-million-swamp-makeover

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
Paco,

ABSOLUTELY AGREE !

-

AND
OR

Fever,

Let me know when the Bama big boosters etc let renovations or NIL interfere a lot with landing top players or firing a coach that would have the worst 3 opening seasons in more than a half a century at UF if he goes 6-6/7-5 in all 3 seasons. Heck even our big boosters don't put up with a joke record like that. Having said that I hope he gets the QB situation corrected so he doesn't have a mediocre KY football level 3rd season.

Let me know when the Bama big boosters etc let renovations or NIL interfere a lot with landing top players or firing a coach that would have the worst 3 opening seasons in more than a half a century at UF if he goes 6-6/7-5 in all 3 seasons. Heck even our big boosters don't put up with a joke record like that. Having said that I hope he gets the QB situation corrected so he doesn't have a mediocre KY football level 3rd season.
Fever,

Some thoughts -

A. CBN - three months from STARTING his 2nd season.
B. We are not Bama.

IMO, he is making progress & bringing in another new HC a huge mistake.
We should NOT QUIT on CBN before the miracles happens.

If you disagree, reach into your wallet & take care of it.

Fever,
Curious - why did you help hire CBN if you knew in advance he would be such a failure ?

Reactions: Gator Fever
Fever,

Some thoughts -

A. CBN - three months from STARTING his 2nd season.
B. We are not Bama.

IMO, he is making progress & bringing in another new HC a huge mistake.
We should NOT QUIT on CBN before the miracles happens.

If you disagree, reach into your wallet & take care of it.

Fever,
Curious - why did you help hire CBN if you knew in advance he would be such a failure ?

Not quitting on him but you cant have 3 mediocre seasons to start off. 2 is allowable in a big rebuild but not 3. Yep we aren't Bama as the state of FL has a lot more top recruits coming out of the high schools here than Bama has. And I would think we have a lot more top recruits than KY and teams like that have also and shouldn't keep losing games to teams like them.

Paco,

ABSOLUTELY AGREE !

-

AND
OR

Fever,

Donations to a 501C3 are tax deductible on either a personal or corporate level. However, since NIL is (supposed to be) advertising. any Gator who owns a company can hire a marketing firm that has a player as a client and take a business expense deduction. So it can work either way.

"We're in the service business; we don't make widgets," Stricklin said. "We create experiences, whether it's for our student-athletes, our staff and ultimately for Gator Nation. So, when you are in the service business, there's not a lot of tangible results. It's a lot of intangible results.

"It's what kind of experience are you creating on game day? What kind of memories are coming from those experiences? Do people want to plan their lives around coming back to enjoy that experience again? We sell tickets and we sell T-shirts. Beyond that, it's we want to create experiences -- and winning is a big part of that experience -- but you've got to have all the other pieces."

Paco’s correct about this guy’s focus on facilities…

sadgator’s never left Gainesville on a Sunday morning with a hangover worrying about the “experience” he had based on the size of the concourses at BHG by the way…just sayin’….

"We're in the service business; we don't make widgets," Stricklin said. "We create experiences, whether it's for our student-athletes, our staff and ultimately for Gator Nation. So, when you are in the service business, there's not a lot of tangible results. It's a lot of intangible results.

"It's what kind of experience are you creating on game day? What kind of memories are coming from those experiences? Do people want to plan their lives around coming back to enjoy that experience again? We sell tickets and we sell T-shirts. Beyond that, it's we want to create experiences -- and winning is a big part of that experience -- but you've got to have all the other pieces."

sadgator’s never left Gainesville on a Sunday morning with a hangover worrying about the “experience” he had based on the size of the concourses at BHG by the way…just sayin’….
That is what everyone complained about towards the end of the Foley regime is we didn’t keep up with facilities or the “arms race” and it put us in the position we are in, which is mostly true. Now we are playing catch-up but now facilities don’t matter as much now as they did then. Now it’s all about NIL. We didn’t have an indoor practice facility, football players living area/apts or a Football specific facility. We have all of that now. But yes Stricklin is a facilities maniac. I’ll give him credit that he’s drummed up the contributions/funding for these projects but I still have concerns with his ability to be a top notch AD.

Fever IS CORRECT -

"Winning is a big part of that experience !"

We are entering CBN's 2nd season - IMO, we are getting better.

Defense will be first & then who knows about Mertz & the Offense.

Game management & reducing turnovers all we can hope for at start of season.

Won't be as quick as Fever & some others want; but its coming.

Reactions: bradleygator
That is what everyone complained about towards the end of the Foley regime is we didn’t keep up with facilities or the “arms race” and it put us in the position we are in, which is mostly true. Now we are playing catch-up but now facilities don’t matter as much now as they did then. Now it’s all about NIL. We didn’t have an indoor practice facility, football players living area/apts or a Football specific facility. We have all of that now. But yes Stricklin is a facilities maniac. I’ll give him credit that he’s drummed up the contributions/funding for these projects but I still have concerns with his ability to be a top notch AD.

Feel like FSU is in a similar spot, we are about to drop 150 million on a FoF facility. Also getting more club seats on the 50 in a stadium upgrade. Does that matter as much as it did back 10 yrs ago? I don't think so because now everybody has good facilities that is worth a crap. So do we really need it? I'm not sure. We have the indoor practice facility, getting the FoF but NIL seems to be THE driving factor for recruits these days.

Winning is the whole thing. If they’re worried about attendance, they should worry about wins and losses. Wider concourses and seat backs are not going to make a difference. I could understand if they’re building out luxury boxes or whatever.

Winning is the whole thing. If they’re worried about attendance, they should worry about wins and losses. Wider concourses and seat backs are not going to make a difference. I could understand if they’re building out luxury boxes or whatever.

I've sat in BHG, I'm in shape (obviously) and those 12 inch seats sucked lol was not comfortable at all. Especially because Bertha was sitting next to me spilling into my seat

Reactions: PacoGator19
Feel like FSU is in a similar spot, we are about to drop 150 million on a FoF facility. Also getting more club seats on the 50 in a stadium upgrade. Does that matter as much as it did back 10 yrs ago? I don't think so because now everybody has good facilities that is worth a crap. So do we really need it? I'm not sure. We have the indoor practice facility, getting the FoF but NIL seems to be THE driving factor for recruits these days.
BINGO

I've sat in BHG, I'm in shape (obviously) and those 12 inch seats sucked lol was not comfortable at all. Especially because Bertha was sitting next to me spilling into my seat
I think that is one of the fixes. They are going to make the seats bigger which in turn will make less seats in the Swamp. Attendance is down across the country anyways so while it sucks it does make sense. UF can probably afford to go from a 92k capacity to probably something like an 85-87K capacity.

Brad,

Plans have already been made for the South End Zone & additional luxury boxes.

They will wait to see how donations go & then throw that in at the end.

What the hell, we can't leave the South End Zone looking like that, after we upgrade everything else !

Stricklin will sell General Revenue Bonds to fund his UF legacy.
They will be funded by -
Increased Ticket prices,
Increased concession prices,
Increased Parking fees & parking tickets,
and fees to use the toilets -
probably a toilet seat license - 1 free usage with every ticket sold;
after that it will be pay as you go.
No change; no problem - toilets (like vending machines) will accept your plastic - LOL

From -
BEN HILL GRIFFIN STADIUM FACILITY UPGRADES UAA-62
AUGUST 2, 2021

"South Endzone
The south endzone will be studied (BS ! - It's already in the project plans) for potential renovations to include a Club area and/or Loge Boxes."

https://facilities.ufl.edu/library/prjdocs/00077680.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
I think that is one of the fixes. They are going to make the seats bigger which in turn will make less seats in the Swamp. Attendance is down across the country anyways so while it sucks it does make sense. UF can probably afford to go from a 92k capacity to probably something like an 85-87K capacity.

We lowered our capacity by about 8k or it will be that low soon. It's common these days.

I like BHG just how it is, unique and homey amongst all the other stadiums. I don't like this capacity reduction they're talking about. I don't want BHG turned into some Lite Brite pinball arcade Top Golf pro sports entertainment venue. I just want simple homeyness with bright orange and blue decor and loud ass fans having fun all focused on the action on the field and not on peripheral activities and most importantly Gators winning every game in The Swamp! When people everywhere hear The Swamp moniker, they shouldn't see or think of some JerryWorld stadium, they should think of some Old Florida charm, unique, Gatorsesque type confines, that nowhere else can recreate.

I like BHG just how it is, unique and homey amongst all the other stadiums. I don't like this capacity reduction they're talking about. I ... I just want simple homeyness with bright orange and blue decor and loud ass fans having fun all focused on the action on the field and ... Gators winning every game in The Swamp! When people everywhere hear The Swamp moniker, they shouldn't see or think of some JerryWorld stadium, they should think of some Old Florida charm, unique, Gatorsesque type confines.
Jersey,

See & appreciate your points.

Problem -
maintaining the old school charm of BHG Stadium / Steve Spurrier Field won't create a legacy for Scott Scricklin.

As Paco & others have pointed out, he wants a new facility - which will hopefully carry his name.

Like Numbers said when talking about upgrades to Doak Campbell - don't think we need it & DAMN sure don't need to spend $400 MM on it - actual price tag under Stricklin with South End Zone, etc guaranteed to hit $500 MM or more !

For a facility that is used 6-8 times a year ?

Other interesting thought - by starting this project now -
How much stadium rental from the Jags are we pissing away ?

Perhaps Jags Owner Shad Kahn didn't grease Stricklin's palm hard enough & this BHG rebuild - coming out now - is Stricklin's way of demanding more.

Last edited:
Talking Season Continues

This is the last year for the SEC Division set ups; obviously several people will predict the Division Winners.

SEC West predictions​

https://mikefarrellsports.com/college/an-early-outlook-on-the-sec-west

SEC East predictions

https://mikefarrellsports.com/college/an-early-outlook-on-the-sec-east

lol.. Thinking we will go 4-8 and finish behind Vandy in 2023. Imo there is about the same chance of that happening as us going 9-3. I do think 6-6 or 7-5 is likely and we wont be near 2nd place in the East at the end.

lol.. Thinking we will go 4-8 and finish behind Vandy in 2023. Imo there is about the same chance of that happening as us going 9-3. I do think 6-6 or 7-5 is likely and we wont be near 2nd place in the East at the end.
Fever,

Every one who participates in "talking season" isn't accurate !

Didn't think too much of the SEC East predictions - but Farrell doesn't make those predictions - made by junior staff members.

Closer to the start of the season, after we know the depth chart, we will have better "predictions."

Realize we won't win SEC East, but we will be a better team - with a harder schedule. LOL

Reactions: Gator Fever
I like BHG just how it is, unique and homey amongst all the other stadiums. I don't like this capacity reduction they're talking about. I don't want BHG turned into some Lite Brite pinball arcade Top Golf pro sports entertainment venue. I just want simple homeyness with bright orange and blue decor and loud ass fans having fun all focused on the action on the field and not on peripheral activities and most importantly Gators winning every game in The Swamp! When people everywhere hear The Swamp moniker, they shouldn't see or think of some JerryWorld stadium, they should think of some Old Florida charm, unique, Gatorsesque type confines, that nowhere else can recreate.
Agree, but we are just living in a different world now.

When Florida beat Auburn 48-7 in 1990, sadgator and his friends actually lit an Auburn flag on fire late in the 4th quarter in the East Stands and waved it around as it burned…no sh!t…it is true…and nobody stopped it or even thought twice about it!!!! It was crazy in that place then…the atmosphere for those giant games rivaled international soccer.

Now the fan base just wants good wifi and cup holders…

Kinda where the world is…unfortunately…

They will be funded by -
Increased Ticket prices,
They already are. Take a look at the single game ticket prices for 2023.

Right now, you can buy non-resale tickets to a game like Tennessee in the west stands Section 17 for $248 a piece. Two years ago, you could buy those exact same section seats non-resale for approximately $90.

You can buy 50 yard line non-resale tickets to the same game for like $400 or $350 in the West and East respectively.

Other than the Touchdown Terrace or West Sky Boxes, the University has never sold regular section single game tickets for that much.

Consequently, there are tons available for any game you want to attend…Tennessee, FSU, you name it. sadgator appreciates the availability, but the demand ain’t keeping up with supply at that price…take it for whatever it is worth…

They already are. Take a look at the single game ticket prices for 2023.

Right now, you can buy non-resale tickets to a game like Tennessee in the west stands Section 17 for $248 a piece. Two years ago, you could buy those exact same section seats non-resale for approximately $90.

You can buy 50 yard line non-resale tickets to the same game for like $400 or $350 in the West and East respectively.

Other than the Touchdown Terrace or West Sky Boxes, the University has never sold regular section single game tickets for that much.

Consequently, there are tons available for any game you want to attend…Tennessee, FSU, you name it. sadgator appreciates the availability, but the

demand ain’t keeping up with supply at that price…take it for whatever it is worth…
Sad,

see your point - with prices like that decreasing BHG stadium capacity actually a good thing.

What are non-resale football tickets ?
Are they electronic instead of paper & limited to a single verified ID ?
Why would they sell them ?

Fsu did an analysis on this a few years ago, paid like 80 grand to a company to do research on it. What they found is that FSU could make way more money by REDUCING the number of seats and making the seats "club seats" where they can Charge 10x as much for the seat. People are more willing to pay a ton of money if it's a better experience. I pay roughly 10k a yr for my champion club seats (first yr was more expensive). No way in hell I pay that type of money to sit with the sweaties and smellys. I have shade, fans, AC rooms with all I can eat food and drinks, a bar, en elevator ride to the top of the stadium, my own entrance where I get in immediately, etc.

Totally get what you mean but a lot of people don't want to pay a lot to go and sit in the heat and not have a great experience.

Last edited:
Sad,

What are non-resale football tickets ?
“Non-resale” meaning “original” or “straight from the University.” Blue dot. Not red dot (resale market).

Resale is always dictated by market conditions. Blue dot is whatever the University wants to charge as face.

sadgator is an expert single game ticket buyer. Been doing it for years.

sadgator’ll pick a big game or two per year and dump everything into it. As such, sadgator’s willing to pay a little more to sit where he wants for a specific game.

Reduced capacity sucks for a guy like sadgator because it inflates the resale market.

But honestly, the last several years, reasonably priced availability hasn’t been an issue at all. And the reduction of a few thousand seats probably won’t affect that too much.

People just aren’t going to games as much anymore. Regardless of how big the game is, you’ll see pretty sizable empty areas in sections near the tops. And the East stands always empties quite a bit in the 2nd half.

It was never like that in the 90’s. You had waiting lists for season tickets and scalping was an uncertain and costly adventure.

Now the University is dying for folks to even buy mini-plans with free hot dogs and cokes…It’s just different now.

Makes you wonder if players who were getting their money under the table in those days were instructed to say the reason was facilities rather than the fat stack of cash they were getting. Personally, if you told me I could have a job with company A for $$ with a great office or a job with company B for $$$$ with a tiny office, I'd be looking at space-saving ideas. ;)

Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT