ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Agree, but we are just living in a different world now.

When Florida beat Auburn 48-7 in 1990, sadgator and his friends actually lit an Auburn flag on fire late in the 4th quarter in the East Stands and waved it around as it burned…no sh!t…it is true…and nobody stopped it or even thought twice about it!!!! It was crazy in that place then…the atmosphere for those giant games rivaled international soccer.

Now the fan base just wants good wifi and cup holders…

Kinda where the world is…unfortunately…
And we exited the stadium singing "It's Great, to Beat, the Sh*t out of Auburn".

Good times.

I wasn't in the flag burning section tho. Sounds epic.

Agree, but we are just living in a different world now.

When Florida beat Auburn 48-7 in 1990, sadgator and his friends actually lit an Auburn flag on fire late in the 4th quarter in the East Stands and waved it around as it burned…no sh!t…it is true…and nobody stopped it or even thought twice about it!!!! It was crazy in that place then…the atmosphere for those giant games rivaled international soccer.

Now the fan base just wants good wifi and cup holders…

Kinda where the world is…unfortunately…
Wow SAD, your Marxist sympathies aside, I've got newfound respect for you, hahahaha. Not just burning opponent flags at the tailgate but burning them in the stadium during the game, THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout son! Haha. I do miss the annual Auburn game, twas a fun one prior to 2012 conference expansion ending it.

And we exited the stadium singing "It's Great, to Beat, the Sh*t out of Auburn".

Good times.

I wasn't in the flag burning section tho. Sounds epic.
Yes. That was one of sadgator’s favorite games.

ESPN evening game (when that still meant something). If sadgator remembers correctly, Auburn was ranked in the top 5 and several teams above them had lost earlier in the day…

sadgator had gone to Jordan-Hare the year before in 1989 when they beat us in the last second and threw everything but the kitchen sink at us and the team as it left the field.

1990 was a nice payback.

Remember the paper ball fights before Growl and the raining plastic cups after TD’s?!?!?

At a point, those Gator hard hats actually served a valuable purpose.

sadgator did not personally witness the Mrs. Fulmer piss cup thing, but he doesn’t question that it was legitimate…

sadgator witnessed some incredible things happen in East Stands during that time…

But alas, all the fun things get taken away….

“Non-resale” meaning “original” or “straight from the University.” Blue dot. Not red dot (resale market).

Resale is always dictated by market conditions. Blue dot is whatever the University wants to charge as face.

sadgator is an expert single game ticket buyer. Been doing it for years.

sadgator’ll pick a big game or two per year and dump everything into it. As such, sadgator’s willing to pay a little more to sit where he wants for a specific game.

Reduced capacity sucks for a guy like sadgator because it inflates the resale market.

But honestly, the last several years, reasonably priced availability hasn’t been an issue at all. And the reduction of a few thousand seats probably won’t affect that too much.

People just aren’t going to games as much anymore. Regardless of how big the game is, you’ll see pretty sizable empty areas in sections near the tops. And the East stands always empties quite a bit in the 2nd half.

It was never like that in the 90’s. You had waiting lists for season tickets and scalping was an uncertain and costly adventure.

Now the University is dying for folks to even buy mini-plans with free hot dogs and cokes…It’s just different now.
Sad,

Thanks for the info I haven't bought tickets in many years.

Last game I saw - Urbs was HC & SOS & USCe came to The Swamp & suffered a close 40 point loss - LOL

• Wow
Reactions: gatordad3
Remember the paper ball fights before Growl and the raining plastic cups after TD’s?!?!?

At a point, those Gator hard hats actually served a valuable purpose.

sadgator did not personally witness the Mrs. Fulmer piss cup thing, but he doesn’t question that it was legitimate…

sadgator witnessed some incredible things happen in East Stands during that time…

But alas, all the fun things get taken away….
Do I question whether a drunk Gator might think a piss bomb was a good idea? I do not.

Do I question whether a plastic cup filled with urine, thrown from any distance, will retain any of said urine instead of it all flying out? Yes, yes I do.

Yes. That was one of sadgator’s favorite games.

ESPN evening game (when that still meant something). If sadgator remembers correctly, Auburn was ranked in the top 5 and several teams above them had lost earlier in the day…

sadgator had gone to Jordan-Hare the year before in 1989 when they beat us in the last second and threw everything but the kitchen sink at us and the team as it left the field.

1990 was a nice payback.
Auburn was ranked 4th and we were ranked 15th. And yes I think 2 of the 3 teams in front of them had already lost that day and 5th ranked Illinois had lost as well.

Reactions: sadgator
Fsu did an analysis on this a few years ago, paid like 80 grand to a company to do research on it. What they found is that FSU could make way more money by REDUCING the number of seats and making the seats "club seats" where they can Charge 10x as much for the seat. People are more willing to pay a ton of money if it's a better experience. I pay roughly 10k a yr for my champion club seats (first yr was more expensive). No way in hell I pay that type of money to sit with the sweaties and smellys. I have shade, fans, AC rooms with all I can eat food and drinks, a bar, en elevator ride to the top of the stadium, my own entrance where I get in immediately, etc.

Totally get what you mean but a lot of people don't want to pay a lot to go and sit in the heat and not have a great experience.
Sounds great. Now if you just had something to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: fsu939913

Phil Steele ranks 25 hardest schedules in college football​

There you have it. For those curious, that’s 10 SEC teams in the top-25, as more than 70% of the conference accounted for 40% of this list. After them, it was five Big 12 schools, followed by four Big Ten schools and three that placed in the top 10. Three Pac-12 schools made the cut and just two ACC schools, both of which ranked in the 20s. Lastly, Notre Dame rounded us off as the lone independent and non-power conference program to make the list.

https://www.on3.com/news/phil-steele-ranks-25-hardest-schedules-in-college-football/

Phil Steele ranks 25 hardest schedules in college football​

There you have it. For those curious, that’s 10 SEC teams in the top-25, as more than 70% of the conference accounted for 40% of this list. After them, it was five Big 12 schools, followed by four Big Ten schools and three that placed in the top 10. Three Pac-12 schools made the cut and just two ACC schools, both of which ranked in the 20s. Lastly, Notre Dame rounded us off as the lone independent and non-power conference program to make the list.

https://www.on3.com/news/phil-steele-ranks-25-hardest-schedules-in-college-football/

I've always thought strength of schedule is the hardest thing to determine in any sport. You have 130 teams and only play 12 games against mostly the same teams, it's nearly impossible to figure it out (mathematically speaking). I've been surprised so many times before where I thought a team was really good and then they played outside their comfort zone.

Last yr Ole Miss was ranked top 8 at one point, then lost 5 games in a row. Syracuse was ranked, then lost 5 games in a row. SEC gets favorable ranks for its middle teams because Bama and Georgia are so good. Fsu has almost always been overrated in the polls because of their name.

Fwiw, I do think on paper UF has a difficult schedule this yr. They play tough teams in their co f and travel to Utah and then play fsu at home. That's not easy.

Arch Manning's Poor Texas Spring Game Performance Doesn't Have Steve Sarkisian Worried Yet​

I started this thread on Jan 19, 2022. My first post talked about CBN going to visit Arch Manning.

"...Napier is in Louisiana on Tuesday, reportedly to pay 2023 Isidore Newman (La.) quarterback Arch Manning a visit according to 247Sports"

Arch went to Austin, Texas instead of G'ville, Fl.

A few posts & views later, I thought it would be interesting to check up on Arch & see what's up.

"...Manning finished the Texas football spring scrimmage having completed just five of his 13 pass attempts for 30 yards."

Steve Sarkisian, Texas head coach reminded the public that Manning could have been enjoying his senior year in high school, but graduated early to enroll at the University of Texas to begin his development.

“I felt like I needed to remind everybody, on our spring game, the guy should have been at the Senior Car Wash raising money for prom or something,” Sarkisian said, speaking to Greg McElroy, via Sports Illustrated. “He still should have been in high school at that game. It was invaluable experience for him to be with us and to get a lot of that newness out.
OR
as one former UF HC used to say - "Riding the little yellow bus ?"

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...-game-performance-steve-sarkisian-not-worried

Top-250 OL Marques Easley Commits to UGA​

On Saturday, 4-star OT Marques Easley ended his recruitment when he committed to Georgia.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/...-football-over-oklahoma-alabama-and-tennessee

4-star OL Nyier Daniels Commits to UGA​

https://dawgpost.com/s/5551/breaking-massive-4-star-ol-nyier-daniels-commits-to-uga-football

UGA has gotten their OTs; maybe we can get Fletcher Westphal.

Florida football target Fletcher Westphal, a four-star offensive lineman out of Leesburg (Virginia) Tuscarora announced his commitment date on Twitter Wednesday just before noon EDT. The 6-foot-8.5-inch, 335-pound behemoth will make his final decision on Saturday, July 10 according to the tweet posted on his personal account.

Over a month ago, the coveted lineman included the Orange and Blue among his top five preferred collegiate destinations, which also included the Clemson Tigers, Georgia Bulldogs, Auburn Tigers and Arkansas Razorbacks.

With today's developments don't see him signing with UGA.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...recruiting-fletcher-westphal-commitment-date/

I knew John Malckovic was a great actor, but a football coach?

Just imagine those locker room speeches.
dc9b4bed-5ca3-4a97-8fe5-39b1e0cc2376_text.gif

“Non-resale” meaning “original” or “straight from the University.” Blue dot. Not red dot (resale market).

Resale is always dictated by market conditions. Blue dot is whatever the University wants to charge as face.

sadgator is an expert single game ticket buyer. Been doing it for years.

sadgator’ll pick a big game or two per year and dump everything into it. As such, sadgator’s willing to pay a little more to sit where he wants for a specific game.

Reduced capacity sucks for a guy like sadgator because it inflates the resale market.

But honestly, the last several years, reasonably priced availability hasn’t been an issue at all. And the reduction of a few thousand seats probably won’t affect that too much.

People just aren’t going to games as much anymore. Regardless of how big the game is, you’ll see pretty sizable empty areas in sections near the tops. And the East stands always empties quite a bit in the 2nd half.

It was never like that in the 90’s. You had waiting lists for season tickets and scalping was an uncertain and costly adventure.

Now the University is dying for folks to even buy mini-plans with free hot dogs and cokes…It’s just different now.
That last paragraph sounds like ga tech. You’re not really doing that, are you?

Boom! 4-star OT Fletcher Westphal commits to Florida Gators.​

Paco,

after UGA signed Marques Easley & Nyier Daniels, I felt/hoped Westphal would commit to Gators; we needed him !

Westphal is the 18th commitment of the Class of 2024 for Florida and joins offensive linemen Marcus Mascoll, Noel Portnjagin, and Mike Williams in the class.

Paco, you said all that was necessary;
BUT
here are a few more thoughts on Westphal's commit.
https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...tcher-westphal-commits-to-the-florida-gators/

Fletcher Westphal knows how to throw some weight around on the football field

Last edited:

Jeremiah Smith, Cam Coleman, and the Most Important 2024 Wide Receiver Commits​

Farrell not always right, but in this case I think Smith's ship has sailed & he sticks with Ryan day, Brian Hartline, & tOSU.

IMO, this will change when Lagway gets on campus, but currently Gators lack excitement at the QB1 position & in the overall offense.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/recru...the-most-important-2024-wide-receiver-commits

Last edited:
Step 1 is to rebuild the roster with blue chip talent. That seems to be going very well. I love how we are recruiting and what we are doing off the field. Hopefully it can translate to on the field and the build continues. I am gaining trust in Napier due to the high level recruiting.

I always felt and have said this many times that at least at worst case he could load the team with talent ala Ron Zook.

Heupel has had 1 good season at UT. Way too early to claim they are on the rise IMO. We thought the same way when we had Mullen who actually had 3 NY6 bowl appearances in a row. The thing with Heupel is that each year at UCF he did worse than the year before. I’m not “buying” yet.

But Heupel improved from 7-6 to 11-2 in year 2 at UT

he lost Fiesta bowl game to Joe Burrow led LSU in year one at UCF and went 12-1
He went 10-3 in year two at UCF; losing three games on the road by a total of 5 points
he went 6-4 in year three where he lost a bunch of players due to opt outs during Covid year

Heupel appears to be one of the top innovative minds in college football. His long term success will depend on whether he can improve UT's recruiting

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

He went 10-3 in year two at UCF; losing three games on the road by a total of 5 points
he went 6-4 in year three where he lost a bunch of players due to opt outs during Covid year

Heupel appears to be one of the top innovative minds in college football. His long term success will depend on whether he can improve UT's recruiting
sadgator doesn’t dispute that Heupel has a good offensive mind.

But his stubbornness in implementing tempo was a huge factor in why UCF declined in record results (say whatever you want about the Covid year)…

He’s a lot like Steve in his stubborn adherence to his system regardless of situation.

That always cost Steve a game or two every year.

sadgator questions whether Heupel is disciplined enough to tweak his system to avoid the same fate.

Plus…Hooker was a phenom…let’s see if Milton replicates his production for a full year…sadgator is cautiously skeptical…

So again like I said previously his record got worse each year? Correct? And why does everybody still talk about Covid year? Was UCF the only team that suffered from Covid opt outs? Come on.

Gators Choose Three Representatives for 2023 SEC Media Days​

Three Florida Gators veterans will join head coach Billy Napier in Nashville (Tenn.) for SEC Media Days on July 19.

Gators cornerback Jason Marshall Jr., wide receiver Ricky Pearsall and center Kingsley Eguakun will join Florida head coach Billy Napier in Nashville, Tenn. for 2023 SEC Media Days, the program announced on Monday.

Napier and Co. are scheduled to speak on Wednesday, July 19 at 2 p.m. EST.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...media-days-three-representatives-billy-napier

Step 1 is to rebuild the roster with blue chip talent. That seems to be going very well. I love how we are recruiting and what we are doing off the field. Hopefully it can translate to on the field and the build continues. I am gaining trust in Napier due to the high level recruiting.

I always felt and have said this many times that at least at worst case he could load the team with talent ala Ron Zook.
This is true as far as loading up, but it’s way easier for kids to leave if the HBC doesn’t have his stuff together on the field.

Reactions: sadgator
That last paragraph sounds like ga tech. You’re not really doing that, are you?
Look, everybody’s got attendance problems…

You guys are an anomaly because you are an established program that literally hadn’t had any consequential success since the height of break dancing….

Your recent success feels “new” to anybody under the age of 50.

You guys are still giddy and into going to games…the rest of us have been there/done that as far as seeing the mountain top multiple times…

After your third straight natty this coming season, you’ll get spoiled and bored and you’ll be offering free cotton candy to sell tickets sometime within the next 5 years when the averages catches up to you as well…trust sadgator…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT