ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Could Jeff Scott be a good fit for the Gators?​

As WR Coach ?​

Florida football got news this morning that WR coach Keary Colbert was moving to Denver to be on staff for the Broncos, leaving Florida with a hole on their staff.

The loss of Colbert is nothing minor, but there are plenty of good replacement options that Napier will go after. None better, perhaps, than Jeff Scott.

Scott was the head coach at USF for three years from 2020-2022, and almost beat UF in The Swamp this past season. Before his tenure in South Florida, he was at Clemson for 11 years, working his way up from WR coach to Co-OC before moving on to his head coaching job.

MORE -->
https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/02/23/florida-football-jeff-scott-gators/

Does he have any ties to UF or Napier? He loves Clemson and Dabo, I doubt he would leave there unless it wa something he was familiar with. UF can pay a high price tho so I guess it's possible

Gators coaching staff not in disarray !​

As we all know,
Safety's Coach & DC Patrick Toney & TE coach William Peagler are joining the NFL's Arizona Cardinals.

News then came out Thursday morning that wide receiver coach Keary Colbert was also leaving for the NFL, as he will join the Denver Broncos.

Napier has reacted quickly - former Alabama linebackers coach Austin Armstrong will take over as their new defensive coordinator.

Florida gave up about 29 points per game last year, good for just 97th in the country, and they were among the absolute worst teams in the entire country at stopping teams on third down.

The 29-year-old Armstrong is now the youngest defensive coordinator at the Power-5 level. He spent less than one month at Alabama - having taken the linebacker job after two years as the defensive coordinator at Southern Miss.

Armstrong has familiarity with Florida head coach Billy Napier, having worked together at Louisiana-Lafayette for three seasons. Armstrong also worked with Kirby Smart at Georgia in 2019, and his defense at Southern Miss showed great development - leading the Sun Belt in sacks and tackles for loss last year, while finishing second in interceptions.
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...nals/535-e7b4926d-374e-4e08-a551-de4bdf2914bc

Losing Patrick Toney in a vacuum has its pros and cons. His defense last year simply wasn’t good enough to hang in the SEC, but it will be the third playbook in three years the Gators have to learn.

Likewise, having Peagler depart as well means that Napier, given the amount of 12 personnel he likes to use, has to fill a key position for his offense two weeks before Spring practice.

But like Toney, Peagler didn’t stand out as an SEC-level position coach. While it is unfair to judge Florida tight ends in the post Kyle Pitts era, it is fair to ask why Peagler didn’t sign a single recruit in 2023.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/02/22/florida-football-no-gators-coaching-staff-not-disarray/

Reactions: instaGATOR
Does he have any ties to UF or Napier? He loves Clemson and Dabo, I doubt he would leave there unless it wa something he was familiar with. UF can pay a high price tho so I guess it's possible
Numbers,

Jeff Scott was the HC at USF for the last 3 years; he was fired one day after the Bulls (1-8, 0-5 AAC) lost 54-28 to Temple.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/sports/2022-11-06/usf-fires-head-football-coach-jeff-scott

"...The University of South Florida has fired head football coach Jeff Scott.

Scott had a record of 4-26 in just under three seasons, including 1-19 in the American Athletic Conference."

Numbers,

Jeff Scott was the HC at USF for the last 3 years; he was fired one day after the Bulls (1-8, 0-5 AAC) lost 54-28 to Temple.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/sports/2022-11-06/usf-fires-head-football-coach-jeff-scott

"...The University of South Florida has fired head football coach Jeff Scott.

Scott had a record of 4-26 in just under three seasons, including 1-19 in the American Athletic Conference."

While true that he'd been at USF the last few years, until landing that head coaching gig he'd been at Clemson his entire coaching career (as a Grad Assistant with Tommy Bowden as head coach for half a season, then became the WR coach when Tommy resigned & Dabo got promoted to interim head coach). He also played at Clemson, and his only non-Clemson coaching job was a year as a HS coach in South Carolina). Dabo brought him back to Clemson pretty quickly after he got fired by USF - so his Clemson roots are very deep.

Dabo brought him back to Clemson pretty quickly after he got fired by USF - so his Clemson roots are very deep.
SeaPA,

Thanks for the update.

I don't follow Clemson or USF so I wasn't aware that Scott had returned to Clemson.

From the articles I read & linked to, I thought he was unemployed & "looking."

Glad I didn't say something stupid when I responded to Numbers' post !

• Haha
SeaPA,

Thanks for the update.

I don't follow Clemson or USF so I wasn't aware that Scott had returned to Clemson.

From the articles I read & linked to, I thought he was unemployed & "looking."

Glad I didn't say something stupid when I responded to Numbers' post !

He may still be looking - I think the job at Clemson is an analyst/recruiting position. He might want something on field.
I think he is a solid coach - would be a good hire for you guys

Jeff Scott is a really good coach. Just not a good head coach but I’m pretty sure he came out and said he’s taking a year off and not interested in an on-field coaching position in 2023.

Jeff Scott is a really good coach. Just not a good head coach but I’m pretty sure he came out and said he’s taking a year off and not interested in an on-field coaching position in 2023.
Paco,

Don't know the terms of his severance agreement with USF.
Might cost him too much money to go back to work too soon - Wish someone would hire & fire me like that - LOL.

I have no insider knowledge of CBN's interest or lack thereof in Jeff Scott. The article I quoted probably doesn't either.

Spring practice runs Saturday, March 4th until the O&B game on Thursday night, April 13th & Recruiting is a year round activity.

Conventional wisdom is that CBN will need to get replacement, on the field position coaches quickly.
BUT
Will he hire someone just to get a warm body quickly or will he hold out until he can get the quality Asst Coach / Recruiter he wants / needs ?

IMO, better to take his time & get quality Asst Coaches & Recruiters.

"...Peagler didn’t stand out as an SEC-level position coach & for whatever reason, didn’t sign a single recruit in 2023." - Agree !

CBN is listed as our OC & Austin Armstrong is inbound as our next DC, so our coordinators are set. We are short two offensive Position Coaches / Recruiters - TE & WR.

We have enough recruiting people to handle that in the short run.

What we need are Position Coaches with name recognition & NFL experience.
If they were former Gators with Super Bowl Rings, that would also help ! LOL

Perhaps CBN can temporarily shift some of his off the field Quality Control people around & use them as on the field position coaches for Spring Practice ?

Another Question for CBN to deal with - Austin Armstrong, our next DC, was a LB Coach, Patrick Toney was the Safety coach.

How will CBN handle that ?

Paco,

Don't know the terms of his severance agreement with USF.
Might cost him too much money to go back to work too soon - Wish someone would hire & fire me like that - LOL.

I have no insider knowledge of CBN's interest or lack thereof in Jeff Scott. The article I quoted probably doesn't either.

Spring practice runs Saturday, March 4th until the O&B game on Thursday night, April 13th & Recruiting is a year round activity.

Conventional wisdom is that CBN will need to get replacement, on the field position coaches quickly.
BUT
Will he hire someone just to get a warm body quickly or will he hold out until he can get the quality Asst Coach / Recruiter he wants / needs ?

IMO, better to take his time & get quality Asst Coaches & Recruiters.

"...Peagler didn’t stand out as an SEC-level position coach & for whatever reason, didn’t sign a single recruit in 2023." - Agree !

CBN is listed as our OC & Austin Armstrong is inbound as our next DC, so our coordinators are set. We are short two offensive Position Coaches / Recruiters - TE & WR.

We have enough recruiting people to handle that in the short run.

What we need are Position Coaches with name recognition & NFL experience.
If they were former Gators with Super Bowl Rings, that would also help ! LOL

Perhaps CBN can temporarily shift some of his off the field Quality Control people around & use them as on the field position coaches for Spring Practice ?

Another Question for CBN to deal with - Austin Armstrong, our next DC, was a LB Coach, Patrick Toney was the Safety coach.

How will CBN handle that ?
Armstrong to coach ILBs. Bateman will coach safeties.

Paco,

Don't think Bateman's Recruiting has been much to talk about & Not sure how he will do coaching safeties -
BUT
I am not CBN & with the size of our off the field staff, we probably have someone who does know how to coach safeties & can help out.
Bateman was the safeties coach at UNC for the last 3 years before coming here. He’s a good coach and an Ok recruiter but he did get commits from 2 big time LBs for the 2024 class in Hayes and Graham.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

UGA's Greatest Recruiting Pitch - 12 UGA Players Receive Invitations to NFL Combine​

Georgia football revealed they have had the most players in the nation invited to the NFL combine over the past three years.

One of the most pivotal moments for prospects prior to the NFL draft is the combine event.

One of the most pivotal moments for prospects prior to the NFL draft is the combine event.

Players who receive an invite to the combine are given the opportunity to interview with teams and display their talents on the football field one last time before they officially begin the next chapter of their careers.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/...s-impressive-statistic-ahead-of-the-nfl-draft

Well so much for that. Raymond was just announced as secondary coach so he is getting safeties and CBs. Not sure what they means now. Is another coach possibly on his way out? Or is Armstrong just going to be the DC only? Can’t have 3 LB coaches in Armstrong, Peterson & Bateman.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Well so much for that. Raymond was just announced as secondary coach so he is getting safeties and CBs. Not sure what they means now. Is another coach possibly on his way out? Or is Armstrong just going to be the DC only? Can’t have 3 LB coaches in Armstrong, Peterson & Bateman.
Paco,

Thanks for the updates !

Guess we will have to wait & see how thigs play out.

We have enough knowledgeable former coaches, analyst, etc in CBN's Army to assist him, so probably not a big deal for Raymond to "handle" the entire secondary.
Plus our "blown coverages" will hopefully diminish with 1 coach in charge of entire Secondary.

I imagine, that shortly, as CFB becomes more of a pay for play environment - NFL Minor Leagues, that in player development, the distinction between on & off the field coaches will become blurred.

On & Off the field Recruiting restrictions will probably be. retained - mostly.

EDIT
FWIW - "...Florida's decision to have Raymond coach all defensive backs came shortly after the conclusion of the 2022 season, according to a source, and was not a byproduct of former defensive coordinator and safeties coach Patrick Toney's recent decision to accept a job on Arizona Cardinals' coaching staff."

https://247sports.com/college/flori...pier-Gators-coaching-staff-changes-205241308/

Last edited:

Comparing the Gators to the Upper Echelon SEC Teams we face.​

9 Gators Invited to 2023 NFL Combine​

They counted Brenton Cox Jr.
https://floridagators.com/news/2023/2/8/football-nine-gators-receive-nfl-combine-invitations.aspx

9 LSU Tigers Invited to 2023 NFL Combine​

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/nine-lsu-football-players-invited-to-2023-nfl-combine

12 Georgia Bulldogs invited to 2023 NFL combine​

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/galler...-invited-2023-nfl-combine-uga-football-draft/

13 Alabama players Invited to 2023 NFL Combine​

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/l...players-invited-to-2023-nfl-scouting-combine/

Last edited:
Tebow,

Interesting article - forced to agree with some of the points the author raised.

Here is another writer's opinion on CBN's staff turnover
https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...-necessarily-say-anything-about-billy-napier/

CBN still needs to find WR & TE coaches. Will be interesting to see what he does in that regard -
Will he exploit relationships from ULL or his other previous coaching stops ?
Are there people in off the field analyst / coaching positions currently at UF, or will he visit the Craig List Coaching Want Ads ?

I LIKE IKE Hilliard - WR Coach

In an earlier post, knowing I would not get all of them, I listed my ideal criteria for CBN's new coaches -
  • Former Gator with NFL playing experience & Super Bowl Ring
  • SEC & NFL Coaching experience
  • Name recognition in State of Florida & good recruiting skills.

Hilliard’s football career as player and coach​

Hilliard has had an illustrious football career. He played under Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida. He was then drafted 7th overall in the first round of the 1997 NFL Draft by the New York Giants and played there from 1997-2004. Hilliard would then play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2005-2008.

Hilliard played in Super Bowl XXXV, but didn't get the ring.

Ike's Super Bowl Stats
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/super-bowl/plays.cgi?player=HillIk00

Hilliard NFL Coaching Experience -
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Washington Redskins
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
before taking his first college coaching job at Auburn.

Recruiting under Hilliard​

Hilliard got his first taste of college football recruiting at Auburn. His name and career have certainly helped him with relevance, but much of the process was new, understandably.

Hilliard was working to finish out his first class with the class of 2023. He had a hand in Auburn’s two receiver commitments: 4-starAdam Hopkins and 3-starDaquayvious Sorey. Four-star receiver Karmello English was also committed at one time, but has since decommitted

.https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-ti...iver-coach-ike-hilliard-will-not-be-retained/

Guess we will find out as the season progresses.

Last edited:
Well if they were going to start investigating anywhere, you'd think it would have to be with the biggest, most vocal of them all.

Ruiz seems disappointed the NCAA didn't try to do anything to him. Wants to have a court case on it I guess.

Reactions: PacoGator19

I hope he can pull an 8-4 record somehow so the feeling isn't bad going into 2024. Utah will be pretty tough on the road but if that QB is back from injury just in time to play us it will be without hardly any practice time. If Mertz is below average we are probably looking at a season like 2022 again.

I hope he can pull an 8-4 record somehow so the feeling isn't bad going into 2024. Utah will be pretty tough on the road but if that QB is back from injury just in time to play us it will be without hardly any practice time. If Mertz is below average we are probably looking at a season like 2022 again.
Fever,

8-4 would have Gators dancing down Univ Ave & 13th Street !
In your 8-4 season, who are the losses ?
Utah
LSU
FSU
UGA

I actually hope for 7-5 with the above losses plus Tenn;
Vandy probably a toss-up LOL

We will see how it goes

Reactions: Gator Fever

Five Potential Candidates to Assume Florida's WR Coach Vacancy​

They omitted my favorite - Ike Hilliard;
none of their candidates were 1st Round Draft picks, made the Super Bowl, or have much (if any) on their NFL resumes.

CBN's Army helps a great deal with identifying & recruiting top WR talent
BUT
IMO, the next Coach has to show that he was able to play WR at a high level to attract & coach top WRs.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...-candidates-assume-wide-reciever-coach-vacany

EDIT

Could Ike Hilliard return to the Gators as a coach?​

A recap of Ike’s dominance as a Gator -

Over his career, he caught a total of 126 passes for 2,214 yards, including a 1,000-yard season in 1995. He also caught 29 touchdowns over his three years, 15 of which came in his sensational ’95 season.

As a coach, he’s been around a lot of different organizations. He was in the NFL as a receiver coach from 2011-2021, with the Dolphins, the then-called Redskins, the Bills, and the Steelers.

His latest stop was with the Auburn Tigers, where he was also the wide receiver coach and interim Co-OC last season.

We also know that Ike can do this job at a high level. You don’t make it a decade in the NFL if you aren’t doing your job incredibly well.

The Gators could benefit a lot from having Ike on the staff.
Florida hasn’t had an elite receiver with NFL abilities since Kadarius Toney left a few years ago, and Hilliard could come in and re-establish the culture of elite wideouts in the orange and blue.
https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/02/25/florida-football-gators-ike-hilliard-coach/

Last edited:

Five Potential Candidates to Assume Florida's WR Coach Vacancy​

They omitted my favorite - Ike Hilliard;
none of their candidates were 1st Round Draft picks, made the Super Bowl, or have much (if any) on their NFL resumes.

CBN's Army helps a great deal with identifying & recruiting top WR talent
BUT
IMO, the next Coach has to show that he was able to play WR at a high level to attract & coach top WRs.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...-candidates-assume-wide-reciever-coach-vacany

EDIT

Could Ike Hilliard return to the Gators as a coach?​

A recap of Ike’s dominance as a Gator -

Over his career, he caught a total of 126 passes for 2,214 yards, including a 1,000-yard season in 1995. He also caught 29 touchdowns over his three years, 15 of which came in his sensational ’95 season.

As a coach, he’s been around a lot of different organizations. He was in the NFL as a receiver coach from 2011-2021, with the Dolphins, the then-called Redskins, the Bills, and the Steelers.

His latest stop was with the Auburn Tigers, where he was also the wide receiver coach and interim Co-OC last season.

We also know that Ike can do this job at a high level. You don’t make it a decade in the NFL if you aren’t doing your job incredibly well.

The Gators could benefit a lot from having Ike on the staff.
Florida hasn’t had an elite receiver with NFL abilities since Kadarius Toney left a few years ago, and Hilliard could come in and re-establish the culture of elite wideouts in the orange and blue.
https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/02/25/florida-football-gators-ike-hilliard-coach/

The idea that someone played a decade in the NFL so that means they would be a great coach is a bit much.

Being extremely naturally talented and athletic often times means that you didn't necessarily have to work as hard at your craft, so you may not be able to teach it as well as someone who had to overcome their talent deficiencies.

Not saying that applies to Ike, but saying that playing a decade in the NFL isn't exactly a sure fire indicator that he's a great coach.

Fever,

8-4 would have Gators dancing down Univ Ave & 13th Street !
In your 8-4 season, who are the losses ?
Utah
LSU
FSU
UGA

I actually hope for 7-5 with the above losses plus Tenn;
Vandy probably a toss-up LOL

We will see how it goes

GA is the only game I see as a very likely loss. We need to go 5-3 in these 8 games to get an 8-4 record I think. Except maybe at QB we have more talent than 6 of those teams probably.

@Utah
Tenn
@KY
@SC
Arkansas
@LSU
@Mizzu
FSU

The idea that someone played a decade in the NFL so that means they would be a great coach is a bit much.
Agree
My reference was unclear; apologize.
Ike both played for a decade & coached for a decade in the NFL & I should have distinguished between them.

IMO, being a 1st Round Draft Pick (#7 overall), playing for a decade, & making it to the Super Bowl are important because you need to "connect with" / "impress" the high profile, talented players - both HS & Portal - you are trying to recruit.

WR are a lot more cocky & egotistical than OL.
If you haven't done it yourself, why should a recruit listen to you ?

Ignoring, of course, the ever popular, over flowing McDonalds Bags or today's NIL equivalent.

Since UF doesn't have bushels of cash to throw around, we need someone - like IKE - with a "REP" so that he will stand out from the crowd of "ordinary" recruiters circling all the 5* products !
Being extremely naturally talented and athletic often times means that you didn't necessarily have to work as hard at your craft, so you may not be able to teach it as well as someone who had to overcome their talent deficiencies.
Agree !
But Ike also spent a decade coaching in the NFL.

IMO, he would not have been retained & rehired if he could not analyze his own skill set & teach major elements of it to the players he was coaching & help them to improve

Fever,

Don't understand why someone would be both a Graduate Transfer & a walk on.

Did we just need another "arm" to throw passes for spring practice ?

I don't think that Spurrier, Meyer, or even Mullen would have recruited him or any of the other QBs we now have in G'ville ?

Napier did say he needed another QB for depth and practice reasons I think. How many normal scholarship ones do we have? Just Mertzer, Miller and Brown? That QB from Broward gets a scholarship if one is available.

The number of QBs isn't unusual. We were looking to sign 2 this class, and had Miller and Kitna, before we knew how anything was going to work out.

AR goes to the draft, Kitna goes to jail, Stokes gets canceled and Rashada was loon. So yeah...

People are acting like we're just grabbing QBs for no reason.

Hmmm
Tebow,

Article is basically Click Bait !

The team he compares us to - Michigan is favored to win Big Ten; Gators will be lucky to go 7-5.

We are shooting blanks from the QB position; only one real playmaker at WR; & as usual - OL a huge ???

Defense sucked last year; incoming FR will not change that much & who knows if Transfers will work out.

But I do believe this Quote from the article -
"... it’s unwise to think of the Gators as a top-12 program in terms of actual talent heading into the season."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT