ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Miami’s coaching staff falling apart after just 1 season under Cristobal. That’s not a good thing for continuity and trying to build a program. Gattis (fired), Frank Ponce, Kevin Steele and now Charlie Strong all 4 on-staff coaches that won’t be returning.
Would love to have Charlie back here in Gainesville. Not the most awesome D coordinator but he is an excellent recruiter.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

A projected depth chart but I am sure a few true freshman will get in the 2 deep probably. Scooby Williams is a big question mark. Does he compete for a starting LB spot or will he be moved to the Jack position?

Miami’s coaching staff falling apart after just 1 season under Cristobal. That’s not a good thing for continuity and trying to build a program. Gattis (fired), Frank Ponce, Kevin Steele and now Charlie Strong all 4 on-staff coaches that won’t be returning.
Paco,

Charlie Strong, wearing Orange & Blue, would look good on the sidelines or in the press box.

After 4 years of CFB Mertz is what he is. Hopefully he will manage the game, limit his mistakes, get the ball to playmakers. ...very experienced guy...has played in some big games against some good teams. ...

QB that has been average at best. If he has ample time he can make some throws, ...lack of athleticism - if there is any type of pressure he is below average. ...not a playmaker.

My guess is Napier wants to be run heavy, force teams to play the run and hopefully that slows down or at least helps to mitigate heavy pass rush.
Country,

Great analysis - With you 100% !

Not very exciting but Ball Control - Time of Possession offense keeps the score down, & lets your defense rest on the sidelines.

As I pointed out in an earlier posts, UGA has won a lot of football with game manager type QBs like Mertz.

The key element, which they had & we currently lack, is a good opportunistic defense. A long way for us to go for that.

Hoping that CBN puts in a package for Brown/Miller to execute what Our Lads calls - A Spread Option; you can call it whatever you want - an RPO/Veer/Triple Option running game that I hope will work well for us.

Putting in a package for another QB & ACTUALLY PLAYING ANOTHER QB would also take some of the pounding off Mertz - he's not athletic & nowhere near as physical as AR.

Last edited:
Country,

Great analysis - With you 100% !

Not very exciting but Ball Control - Time of Possession offense keeps the score down, & lets your defense rest on the sidelines.

As I pointed out in an earlier posts, UGA has won a lot of football with game manager type QBs like Mertz.

The key element, which they had & we currently lack, is a good opportunistic defense. A long way for us to go for that.

Hoping that CBN puts in a package for Brown/Miller to execute what Our Lads calls - A Spread Option; you call it whatever you want - RPO/Veer/Triple Option running game that I hope will work well for us.

Putting in a package for another QB & ACTUALLY PLAYING ANOTHER QB would also take some of the pounding off Mertz - he's not athletic & nowhere near as physical as AR.
Manage the game like a Trent Dilfer type QB when he won the Super Bowl with the Ravens. Give me a 13 for 18 or 18 for 24 and let the run game do all the heavy lifting. Get a damn kicka$$ defense where we dont rely on Mertz to get us into shootouts and Let's Go play ball in 2023

• Love

What does Steve Spurrier think of the Gators' quarterback room?​

Steve Spurrier has forgotten more about football than most people will ever know.

What does he think of the Gators' quarterback room as it stands?

What would it take to get him to coach QBs & be the OC ?

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...purrier-think-of-the-gators-quarterback-room/

GD3 no membership here either - LOL.

Hoping someone will break - Omerta - the Website Code of Silence & share Steve's thoughts with Us !

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR

Georgia spent $4.5 million on recruiting in 2022, way higher than any other school​

In 2022, Georgia spent over $4.5 million on its recruiting efforts, $1.5 million more than any other Power Five school during the year.

This information comes from an NCAA financial report the athletics department provided Wednesday to the Athens Banner-Herald in response to an open-records request.

No. 2 Texas A&M - $2.98 million in recruiting expenses. In 2022, the Aggies finished with the No 1 ranked class.
No. 3 Tennessee - $2.92 million,
No 4 Texas - $2.44 million
No. 5 Alabama - $2.32 million and then
No. 6 Michigan - $2.24 million.

No other school reported having spent more than $1.85 million.

Weiszer explains what counts as recruiting spending:​

The recruiting expense totals in the latest NCAA reports cover transportation, lodging and meals
According to this report, empty Mcdonald's Bags are cheap - but the filled bags cost Mega Money ! LOL
for recruits and school personnel on official and unofficial visits for a period that, for most schools, covered July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022.

It also accounts for phone charges and postage for pursuing recruits and the value of school’s vehicles and planes or those used by the school for recruiting.

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2023/0...4-5-million-way-higher-than-any-other-school/

Last edited:

What does Steve Spurrier think of the Gators' quarterback room?​

Steve Spurrier has forgotten more about football than most people will ever know.

What does he think of the Gators' quarterback room as it stands?

What would it take to get him to coach QBs & be the OC ?

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...purrier-think-of-the-gators-quarterback-room/

GD3 no membership here either - LOL.

Hoping someone will break - Omerta - the Website Code of Silence & share Steve's thoughts with Us !
Link to Spurrier doesnt do much good if we have to pay for it. Thumbsdown

Georgia spent $4.5 million on recruiting in 2022, way higher than any other school​

In 2022, Georgia spent over $4.5 million on its recruiting efforts, $1.5 million more than any other Power Five school during the year.

This information comes from an NCAA financial report the athletics department provided Wednesday to the Athens Banner-Herald in response to an open-records request.

No. 2 Texas A&M - $2.98 million in recruiting expenses. In 2022, the Aggies finished with the No 1 ranked class.

According to this report, empty Mcdonald's Bags are cheap - but the filled bags cost Mega Money ! LOL

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2023/0...4-5-million-way-higher-than-any-other-school/

I wonder what that 4.5 mill entails?

Manage the game like a Trent Dilfer type QB when he won the Super Bowl with the Ravens. Give me a 13 for 18 or 18 for 24 and let the run game do all the heavy lifting. Get a damn kicka$$ defense where we dont rely on Mertz to get us into shootouts and Let's Go play ball in 2023

Unfortunately I am not sure that will be too effective against the better SEC teams.

Well they have recruiting personnel taking players to clubs and things like that some of which probably gets charged to that.

ESPN’s Bill Connelly - Returning Production Rankings

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...otball-teams-returning-production-2023-season

Which looks at which programs return the most production from last year’s teams. This category is one of the three factors that go into his SP+ rankings and account for a majority of the formula.

EDIT

FWIW -
Florida State, returns 87% of their production from a 10-3 team, good for the most returning production in the nation.

Including QB Jordan Travis who we couldn't wrap up & tackle to save us.

Georgia checked in at No. 80 in the rankings, returning 61% of its production from last season. Connelly also breaks it down by offensive and defensive production. Georgia returns 52% on offense (109th nationally) and 70% on defense (42nd nationally).

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2023/0...-returning-production-in-2023-wheres-georgia/

Gators come in at No. 107 in the country, the Florida Gators are expected to have a lot of new faces on both sides of the ball. The offensive returning production comes in at No. 103 with 55% returning production, while the defensive returning production comes in at No. 91 with 53% returning production.
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/07/florida-football-returning-production-sp-espn/

The formula

Connelly’s exact formula changes by year, but has the same overall concept. On offense, he tracks the percentage of returning wide receiver or tight end receiving yards, quarterback passing yards, offensive line snaps and running back rushing yards and assigns a weight to each of them.

This year’s weights, according to Connelly:

• Quarterback passing yards: 23 percent - Gator's score = 0.

• Running back rushing yards: 6 percent - Gator's score 90 %
AR not a RB; but he is gone & so are his numbers.

• Receiver/tight end yards: 24 percent of the overall number - Ricky Pearsall only returning receiver of note; so not sure

• Returning OL snaps: 47 percent - Kingsley Eguakun only true returner; score likely to be low.

Those weights are influenced by prior years’ data and what positions proved to be the most important returners (or created the biggest holes by having fewer returners), not numbers Connelly randomly decides himself.

https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dam...ng-production-rankings-bill-connelly-offense/

EDIT

GD3 & Tebow Time

To avoid the ignominious - THUMBS DOWN that both of you would hurl at me for having to pay the super secret access fees, I tracked down the Rankings for the Gators & Dawgs & included them in my post ! LOL

Last edited:
Well they have recruiting personnel taking players to clubs and things like that some of which probably gets charged to that.
Fever,

Dawgs probably like Louisville under Rick Pitino - hosting all of the Entertainment they provide Top Recruits in the
William Porter Payne and Porter Otis Payne Indoor Athletic Facility; the Basement Level is Regally appointed & highly exclusive / confidential.

More Bang for the Buck ! LOL

iaf17-new-01.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Gator Fever
Link to Spurrier doesnt do much good if we have to pay for it. Thumbsdown
Tebow,

I Feel Your Pain !

GD3 gave me a Thumbs Down as well. I'm too poor to join these websites
BUT
Thanks to Jason for giving me & all the other poor souls a free & way cool place like - The Locker Room - to hang out !
BUT
Hoping someone will break - Omerta - the Website Code of Silence & share Steve's thoughts with Us Poor Folks ! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
ESPN’s Bill Connelly - Returning Production Rankings

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...otball-teams-returning-production-2023-season

Which looks at which programs return the most production from last year’s teams. This category is one of the three factors that go into his SP+ rankings and account for a majority of the formula.

Georgia checked in at No. 80 in the rankings, returning 61% of its production from last season. Connelly also breaks it down by offensive and defensive production. Georgia returns 52% on offense (109th nationally) and 70% on defense (42nd nationally).

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2023/0...-returning-production-in-2023-wheres-georgia/

Gators come in at No. 107 in the country, the Florida Gators are expected to have a lot of new faces on both sides of the ball. The offensive returning production comes in at No. 103 with 55% returning production, while the defensive returning production comes in at No. 91 with 53% returning production.
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/07/florida-football-returning-production-sp-espn/

The formula

Connelly’s exact formula changes by year, but has the same overall concept. On offense, he tracks the percentage of returning wide receiver or tight end receiving yards, quarterback passing yards, offensive line snaps and running back rushing yards and assigns a weight to each of them.

This year’s weights, according to Connelly:

• Quarterback passing yards: 23 percent - Gator's score = 0.

• Running back rushing yards: 6 percent - Gator's score 90 %
AR not a RB; but he is gone & so are his numbers.

• Receiver/tight end yards: 24 percent of the overall number - Ricky Pearsall only returning receiver of note; so not sure

• Returning OL snaps: 47 percent - Kingsley Eguakun only true returner; score likely to be low.

Those weights are influenced by prior years’ data and what positions proved to be the most important returners (or created the biggest holes by having fewer returners), not numbers Connelly randomly decides himself.

https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dam...ng-production-rankings-bill-connelly-offense/

EDIT

GD3 & Tebow Time

To avoid the ignominious - THUMBS DOWN that both of you would hurl at me for having to pay the super secret access fees, I tracked down the Rankings for the Gators & Dawgs & included them in my post ! LOL
Thanks

Florida football players set SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll record​

Look Out Vandy - we couldn't beat you on the field-so we'll beat you in the Classroom !

The SEC announced their 2022 Fall Academic Honor Roll on Thursday, with the Florida Gators football team setting a conference record. Of the Orange and Blue’s 113 student-athletes that received Academic Honor Roll distinctions, 62 were football players, breaking the previous conference record of 55 players set back in 2020.

Of the 62, 27 student-athletes earned a grade point average of 3.4 or higher, with Noah Keeter and Marco Ortiz recording a 4.0. Thirty-three of the players named received the honor for at least the second time.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/10/florida-football-sec-academic-honor-roll-record/

Utah football fans know that some of the Utes’ most important players opted not to leave this offseason, including but not limited to starting quarterback Cam Rising and star tight end/wide receiver Brant Kuithe.

As a result, Utah rates high in returning production. Quite high in fact.

Of 133 FBS programs, Utah rates No. 16 in returning production, tied with USC for the most among Pac-12 schools.

The Utes return 76% of their overall production from 2022, 83% on offense (fifth-most in the country) and 69% on defense (45th-highest).

Throw in the top-rated recruiting class in program history — Utah finished with No. 21 class in the country according to both 247 Sports and On3 Sports, while Rivals had the Utes even higher, at No. 19 — and all signs point to another successful campaign for Utah.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/2/10/2...byu-or-utah-state-be-more-experienced-in-2023

LSU Returning Production

Offense - 10th
Defense: 72nd
https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/...g-production-2023-season-jayden-daniels-espn/

Greg Sankey reveals how Texas, Oklahoma move to the SEC was expedited​

officially set for July 1st, 2024.

https://www.on3.com/news/greg-sankey-reveals-how-texas-oklahoma-move-to-the-sec-was-expedited/

Greg Sankey sends veiled shot at Big Ten expansion when talking about the Texas, Oklahoma in the SEC​

Better footprint with SEC Expansion versus B1G adding USCw & UCLA.

Los Angeles over 1,000 miles from Lincoln, Nebraska.

https://www.on3.com/news/greg-sanke...-talking-about-the-texas-oklahoma-in-the-sec/

Last edited:

Steve Spurrier comments on Florida's 2023 quarterback situation​

Here is what the HBC said about the Gators’ current quarterbacks room.

“I was talking to Shane and he said, ‘I’m not sure we have a great quarterback right now,’”
“I said, Shane, they told me that when I took the Florida job back in ’90. You gotta find somebody and coach the heck out of him.”
I believe Sergio De La Espriella, the writer of the article, put in the standard rehash of all that's gone wrong with our QB Room over the last several months; we know it by heart; no need to repeat it.

Article ends with these comments from the writer -

It seems like the Heisman Trophy winner and national championship-winning head coach is a believer in developing the talent you have on the roster.

While head coach Billy Napier is expected to add another quarterback to the roster via the transfer portal, Spurrier may get his wish for 2023.

Whoever is brought in from the portal, the 2023 starting job is expected to come down to Mertz and Miller, two players who will have all spring to earn the job.

IMO, bringing in another Transfer QB after Spring Practice is a waste of a scholarship -

CBN looking for Fool's Gold in the Portal.

Why would a talented Portal QB come to UF ? We don't have bushels of NIL$$$ & don't even have a QB Coach.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...ation-jack-miller-graham-mertz-jaden-rashada/

Last edited:
Miami hired a bad OC and a bad DC IMO and lost a whole bunch of assistant coaches in the process. Cristobal is basically having to hire a whole new coaching staff. I think they lost 7 coaches.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Their DC comes from our DC's coaching tree.... he's horrible
He’s terrible. He’s 51 yrs old and he’s never had any coaching position at all at a P5 school. This is his first time coaching at a P5 program. Cristobal better hit on all his recruits because if he doesn’t work out then not sure Miami ever wins again because Ruiz will bail on Miami as soon as Cristobal is fired so most of their NIL game will be gone as well. Ruiz is doing everything he can to try and make Cristobal successful.

He’s terrible. He’s 51 yrs old and he’s never had any coaching position at all at a P5 school. This is his first time coaching at a P5 program. Cristobal better hit on all his recruits because if he doesn’t work out then not sure Miami ever wins again because Ruiz will bail on Miami as soon as Cristobal is fired so most of their NIL game will be gone as well. Ruiz is doing everything he can to try and make Cristobal successful.

Agreed. Ruiz is buying him everything and Cristobal keeps tripping himself. You would suspect that they would get better with all these top high school recruits if they don't transfer (similar to a and m) but Cristo just holds them back so much

Agreed. Ruiz is buying him everything and Cristobal keeps tripping himself. You would suspect that they would get better with all these top high school recruits if they don't transfer (similar to a and m) but Cristo just holds them back so much
We will see in a few years how it turns out. No doubt Cristobal can recruit and he’s getting lots of NIL help as well. So they will get talent but will the culture be a problem or do they end up transferring? That will ultimately determine whether he is successful or not and right now his coaching staff looks pretty weak.

Reactions: fsu939913
Willie Taggart hired as Ravens RB coach. He's tight with the Harboughs.

So I was trying to figure out how that works, I mean...a 2 year stint as an assistant at Stanford under Jim over a decade ago?

But no...who in the world have guessed that he played for and got his coaching start under freaking Jack Harbough?

Sorry, I'm just always fascinated by connections like that.

For instance, the 2020-2021 had a surprising number of Alabama ties on the staff....why? Well Joe Judge was an assistant 2009-2011 and then took a job in the NFL with Saban's best friend, Bill Belicheck.

Of course who else was on that Bama staff at the same time? Billy Napier, Robert Sale, and Mr. Potato Head himself, Jeremy Pruitt.

Rant over.

So I was trying to figure out how that works, I mean...a 2 year stint as an assistant at Stanford under Jim over a decade ago?

But no...who in the world have guessed that he played for and got his coaching start under freaking Jack Harbough?

Sorry, I'm just always fascinated by connections like that.

For instance, the 2020-2021 had a surprising number of Alabama ties on the staff....why? Well Joe Judge was an assistant 2009-2011 and then took a job in the NFL with Saban's best friend, Bill Belicheck.

Of course who else was on that Bama staff at the same time? Billy Napier, Robert Sale, and Mr. Potato Head himself, Jeremy Pruitt.

Rant over.

It's always interesting to see how far the rabbit hole goes imo. I knew all of that because he coached at fsu but it's crazy how much harboughs think of Willie and have thought of him. I believe the Michigan coach Harbaugh went to a game of ours to see Willie coach... we all thought we gained a harbough

I also LOL'ed at Mr potato head himself comment.

It's always interesting to see how far the rabbit hole goes imo. I knew all of that because he coached at fsu but it's crazy how much harboughs think of Willie and have thought of him. I believe the Michigan coach Harbaugh went to a game of ours to see Willie coach... we all thought we gained a harbough

I also LOL'ed at Mr potato head himself comment.

I've mentioned it before but I live near where he grew up (him and his dad coached at my high school years and years ago) and I have several friends that went to school with Pruitt....and his nickname was pork chop and potato head.

Watching him play as freshman point guard is hard to do. Dude wore one of those face guards the whole season.

And he was such a bad shooter that the opposing crowds would literally start shouting "SHOOT IT" every time he got the ball.

Coaching DBs is a much better fit for him.

Could Jeff Scott be a good fit for the Gators?​

As WR Coach ?​

Florida football got news this morning that WR coach Keary Colbert was moving to Denver to be on staff for the Broncos, leaving Florida with a hole on their staff.

The loss of Colbert is nothing minor, but there are plenty of good replacement options that Napier will go after. None better, perhaps, than Jeff Scott.

Scott was the head coach at USF for three years from 2020-2022, and almost beat UF in The Swamp this past season. Before his tenure in South Florida, he was at Clemson for 11 years, working his way up from WR coach to Co-OC before moving on to his head coaching job.

MORE -->
https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/02/23/florida-football-jeff-scott-gators/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT