ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

We need to get him by this weekend to be added Monday morning for Spring probably if there is any truth to that.

We need to get him by this weekend to be added Monday morning for Spring probably if there is any truth to that.
As I understand it, you would have to be physically in Drop-Add by the Friday DEAD-LINE.

And then be enrolled and in class by Monday.

If they have leeway on those in writing positions, I'm unaware of it, but I'm willing to be instructed on it...

PS -- Just what they need, more xfer CLUSTER to firm up the program...

As I understand it, you would have to be physically in Drop-Add by the Friday DEAD-LINE.

If they have leeway on those in writing positions, I'm unaware of it, but I'm willing to be instructed on it...

I am sure if he is enrolled first thing Monday morning it could happen but I don't have a lot of faith this will happen.

I believe this guy is legit though.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Insta,

Agree strongly !

First Miller, then Billy takes a wild swing with Transfer QB Mertz, then the Rashada situation blows up, & now we are talking about Howard - a third transfer QB in one year.

Billy mis handled the incident with Marcus Stokes because he had stars in his eyes over Rashada & look where we are now !

Doubt we even have space under the 85 player cap to sign him.

Last edited:
From the way Josh Pate explains it, UF NIL people gave Rashada a written pledge when he flipped from Miami and then never came through with the money they promised. This is worth listening to.

It sounds like some people think we may be getting a backup offensive lineman from Bama at the last minute.

Another site is claiming we can get portal players in here through all of next week for spring unlike the new recruits.

Top-100 WR schedules Florida visit after earning offer​

4* Silsbee, Texas wide receiver Dre'lon Miller received an offer, and he’s already planned a trip to Gainesville, according to 247Sports.

Head coach Billy Napier delivered the news personally on Thursday during his first phone call with the Lone Star State prospect. Miller said that Napier left a favorable first impression and was excited about the offer. He’ll get to meet the staff in person on Jan. 28 during the final recruiting weekend until March.

Reactions: PacoGator19

Top-100 WR schedules Florida visit after earning offer​

4* Silsbee, Texas wide receiver Dre'lon Miller received an offer, and he’s already planned a trip to Gainesville, according to 247Sports.

Head coach Billy Napier delivered the news personally on Thursday during his first phone call with the Lone Star State prospect. Miller said that Napier left a favorable first impression and was excited about the offer. He’ll get to meet the staff in person on Jan. 28 during the final recruiting weekend until March.
I believe he is a 7v7 teammate of Lagway.

Gator's Priority 2024 recruits​

The Gators are off to a solid start in the 2024 cycle, with 5-star QB DJ Lagway, 4-star LB Myles Graham, and 4-star RB Chauncey Bowens already committed.

That said, the expectations are high for Napier and his staff on the trail. Here are some priority targets that the UF staff should focus on to make the class of 2024 elite.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/01/13/florida-football-early-2024-recruits/

Farrell
"The Cormani McClain situation is evolving and I think he will land at Colorado. He had an NIL deal in place with Miami, then changed the ask at the last minute and then the family wanted DeMarcus Vandyke hired as a full-time on-field coach. I’ve heard that the Miami collective matched the money ask but the coaching staff is set as far as on-field coaches.

Colorado has him on a visit this weekend with a scheduled commitment for Sunday, January 15 and they seem to be in the driver's seat. However, the commitment won’t be the end of it all as he doesn’t sign until Feb. 1 anyhow.

Unfortunately, he’s become, in my mind, a major transfer prospect no matter where he lands, especially far from home in Boulder. This was initially about relationships and NIL when he surprised everyone and chose Miami over Florida but now it appears to be all NIL$$$"

Maybe Neon Deon will get both McClain & Rashada - Birds of a Feather ?

Then once the ink is dry !
LOL
https://mikefarrellsports.com/recruiting/mike-farrells-latest-recruiting-rumors

Last edited:
Bama to Host 3 JR Day Events ?

Things are starting to pick up again on the recruiting front as Alabama coaches will visit high schools, host Junior Day and await the decision of Five-Star Plus+ Cornerback Cormani McClain this weekend.

This is one of three Junior Days held in Tuscaloosa this month. The invite-only invite includes: tours of campus/facilities, time with area/position coaches, and learning more about what Alabama has to offer from an academic standpoint.
https://www.on3.com/teams/alabama-c...ts-alabama-junior-day-mcclain-watch-and-more/

Bama to Host 3 JR Day Events ?

Things are starting to pick up again on the recruiting front as Alabama coaches will visit high schools, host Junior Day and await the decision of Five-Star Plus+ Cornerback Cormani McClain this weekend.

This is one of three Junior Days held in Tuscaloosa this month. The invite-only invite includes: tours of campus/facilities, time with area/position coaches, and learning more about what Alabama has to offer from an academic standpoint.
https://www.on3.com/teams/alabama-c...ts-alabama-junior-day-mcclain-watch-and-more/

Hopefully McClain gets stuck in CO and doesn't end up at Bama.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

LSU QB Transfer Walker Howard Set to Visit Ole Miss, TCU per Report​

LSU quarterback Walker Howard is wasting little time finding and engaging with potential new homes after entering the transfer portal Friday.

Howard began a visit to Ole Miss Friday and is expected to visit TCU “at some point over the weekend,” according to Friday afternoon reports from 247Sports's Chris Hummer and David Johnson.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/14/walker-howard-transfer-portal-lsu-visit-ole-miss-tcu-report

I’m not some big Mertz fan but last year he did have a better completion %, more TD passes and a better QB rating then AR. Obviously he’s not as mobile.
I've watched Mertz play several times and was not impressed. Not very mobile and doesn't handle pressure. Not good in the SEC especially.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I've watched Mertz play several times and was not impressed. Not very mobile and doesn't handle pressure. Not good in the SEC especially.
Yeah don’t disagree with you. It is one of the reason Pearsall is coming back. He has worked out with Mertz a few times and liked what he saw. Granted that is much different than a game. I think Mertz does have arm talent. He was a highly ranked prospect. He likely doesn’t have “intangibles”.

I’m not some big Mertz fan but last year he did have a better completion %, more TD passes and a better QB rating then AR. Obviously he’s not as mobile.
Paco,

I have been guilty of trashing Mertz even though I know nothing about him.

AR was mobile, when he wanted to be, which seemed to lessen as the season progressed. If we can rebuild our OL & have a decent run game, Mertz doesn't have to be lightning in a bottle like FSU's Jordan Travis.

LSU Transfer QB Walker Howard isn't coming to UF, so we will basically have Miller & Mertz competing for QB1. Brown better off to stick with Baseball, as Napier has no ability or desire to develop him.

You stated that Ricky Pearsall was coming back & WR, IMO, is one of the positions where a True FR (Mizell, Jean, & Wilson) can contribute, especially if they are Early Entry & work hard over the summer developing rapport with whoever plays QB.

Even if our passing game is no better than last year's, that, along with our run game, will give us at least some sort of offense.

Reactions: jimbo1313R
Paco,

AR was mobile, when he wanted to be, which seemed to lessen as the season progressed. If we can rebuild our OL & have a decent run game, Mertz doesn't have to be lightning in a bottle like FSU's Jordan Travis.

LSU Transfer QB Walker Howard isn't coming to UF, so we will basically have Miller & Mertz competing for QB1. Brown better off to stick with Baseball, as Napier has no ability or desire to develop him.

You stated that Ricky Pearsall was coming back & WR, IMO, is one of the positions where a True FR (Mizell, Jean, & Wilson) can contribute, especially if they are Early Entry & work hard over the summer developing rapport with whoever plays QB.

Even if our passing game is no better than last year's, that, along with our run game, will give us at least some sort of offense.

I think it may be worse than last season since we don't have a mobile QB where the defense has to at least respect they might run.

Paco,

I'm not sure about the conclusion that Napier has no desire or ability to develop Max Brown. The few times he's been asked about Max this year, Napier has spoken positively about his skills and attitude - just said he's not yet ready to play. The kid only had 2 years of high school and was very good it seems. Maybe Billy & staff have been working with him in the areas of reading defenses, footwork, learning the playbook or whatever it is that he felt he wasn't ready. I don't think we should throw in the towel on Brown just yet and should wait to see how it plays out during spring practice. Also, have you actually read where Walker Howard has eliminated UF from his consideration? Several sources I saw over the last 2 days said Napier is making a big push for him and has a shot.

CBS Sports grading new coaches:

team logo

Florida
Billy Napier6-7Napier's Gators shocked Utah in Week 1 ... and things went downhill from there. Florida showed flashes -- like a four-score win against South Carolina and competitive matchups with Florida State and LSU -- but ultimately finished with a losing record.C-

Slot WR Ricky Pearsall returns to UF- In his 4 seasons, he’s never recorded more than 700 receiving yards in a single season and has just 1,455 career yards and 10 touchdowns to his name. The fourth-year junior caught 33 passes for 661 yards and five touchdowns in 2022.

He didn't come back to UF for his 5th college season because he loves the Gators and is doing them a favor, he came back because the NFL told him he's not good enough for the NFL, otherwise it would have been take the money and run....

Shorter, who is good enough for the NFL is gone, while Reynolds looked around and bolted.
Plus they'd already lost the Whittemore brothers. They still have talent on the roster and some decent recruits coming in,,,, IF they can coach them up and fit them into an offense that can get them the ball. (71.1%, 41 TD's, 4 Ints)

2023 WR Roster:

Ricky Pearsall 6-=1 200 rsSr
Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 212 rsJr - 32 Gms, mostly ST's so far.
Thai Chiaokhlao Bowman 6-0 191 Jr - JuCo xfer
Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-4 212 Jr
Xzavier Henderson 6-3 195 Jr
Marcus Burke 6-4 183 rsSo
Kahleil Jackson 6-3 214 rsSo - Legacy 4th Jackson, Willie Sr, Willie Jr, & Terry
Caleb Douglas 6-3 191 So
#16 WR Aidan Mizell 6-2 180 **** Fr
#19 WR Eugene Wilson III 5-11 165 **** Fr
#53 WR Andy Jean 6-1 180 **** Fr
-----
#16 Ath/WR/S Aaron Gates 6-1 195 **** Fr ??
-----
WO Daniel Cross 6-0 174 rsSr Grad, 3x SEC HR
WO William Sawyer 6-1 185 rsJr, 2x SEC HR
WO Taylor Spierto 5-11 205 rsSo
PWO Alex Gonzalez 5-10 188 rsFr - HS Sr 28 for 446, 4 TD's.
WO Zak Sedaros 5-10 180 rsFr

WR Departures in 2022:
Trent Whittemore - Nov portal, now with UCF
Creed Whittemore - De-committed, flipped to MsSt
Justin Shorter rsJr ED to NFL draft
Deajon Reynolds 6-2 204 rsSo - Portal

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gator Fever
CBS Sprots grading new coaches:

team logo

Florida
Billy Napier6-7Napier's Gators shocked Utah in Week 1 ... and things went downhill from there. Florida showed flashes -- like a four-score win against South Carolina and competitive matchups with Florida State and LSU -- but ultimately finished with a losing record.C-

Slot WR Ricky Pearsall returns to UF- In his 4 seasons, he’s never recorded more than 700 receiving yards in a single season and has just 1,455 career yards and 10 touchdowns to his name. The fourth-year junior caught 33 passes for 661 yards and five touchdowns in 2022.

He didn't come back to UF for his 5th college season because he loves the Gators and is doing them a favor, he came back because the NFL told him he's not good enough for the NFL, otherwise it would have been take the money and run....

Shorter, who is good enough for the NFL is gone, while Reynolds looked around and bolted.
Plus they'd already lost the Whittemore brothers. They still have talent on the roster and some decent recruits coming in,,,, IF they can coach them up and fit them into an offense that can get them the ball. (71.1%, 41 TD's, 4 Ints)

2023 WR Roster:

Ricky Pearsall 6-=1 200 rsSr
Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 212 rsJr - 32 Gms, mostly ST's so far.
Thai Chiaokhlao Bowman 6-0 191 Jr - JuCo xfer
Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-4 212 Jr
Xzavier Henderson 6-3 195 Jr
Marcus Burke 6-4 183 rsSo
Kahleil Jackson 6-3 214 rsSo - Legacy 4th Jackson, Willie Sr, Willie Jr, & Terry
Caleb Douglas 6-3 191 So
#16 WR Aidan Mizell 6-2 180 **** Fr
#19 WR Eugene Wilson III 5-11 165 **** Fr
#53 WR Andy Jean 6-1 180 **** Fr
-----
#16 Ath/WR/S Aaron Gates 6-1 195 **** Fr ??
-----
WO Daniel Cross 6-0 174 rsSr Grad, 3x SEC HR
WO William Sawyer 6-1 185 rsJr, 2x SEC HR
WO Taylor Spierto 5-11 205 rsSo
PWO Alex Gonzalez 5-10 188 rsFr - HS Sr 28 for 446, 4 TD's.
WO Zak Sedaros 5-10 180 rsFr

WR Departures in 2022:
Trent Whittemore - Nov portal, now with UCF
Creed Whittemore - De-committed, flipped to MsSt
Justin Shorter rsJr ED to NFL draft
Deajon Reynolds 6-2 204 rsSo - Portal

Will we have any receivers make an NFL roster from the past 2 seasons? Because he has outperformed all of them here at UF. You just don't want to admit he is our best receiver right now and not the bust you thought he was going to be.

Will we have any receivers make an NFL roster from the past 2 seasons? Because he has outperformed all of them here at UF. You just don't want to admit he is our best receiver right now and not the bust you thought he was going to be.
Pearsall is the best WR we had last season and will be the best WR we have this season. To your point that is correct we don’t really have any NFL WRs on the roster either

Also, have you actually read where Walker Howard has eliminated UF from his consideration? Several sources I saw over the last 2 days said Napier is making a big push for him and has a shot.
Ocala,

Why is Howard's 1st visit to Ole Miss ?

How many times has Billy (& many other Head Coaches) made a "big push" for a player & struck out ?

My first post in this thread was Billy's big push for Arch Manning. Arch talked up the Gators - but never even visited.

But I was proud of Billy for rising to the challenge.

Billy is a far better at recruiter than Mullen ever was, unfortunately, NIL has given him an unbelievable challenge.

Howard was Rated as the nation’s No. 1 dual-threat QB by ESPN and listed No. 5 by 247Sports.
As a senior, passed for 2,394 yards and 25 TDs.
As a junior, passed for 3,430 yards and 42 TDs
https://lsusports.net/sports/fb/roster/player/walker-howard/

Billy, so far, has NOT developed any great passing QBs or had a great passing offense. He has consistently stated he prefers a run first offense.
I don't believe that a QB like Howard would have any interest in Billy as his QB Coach & OC.

As several sources stated, that $13MM to Rashada, was pure unadulterated, BS.

After the fiasco with Rashada, IMO, Gator Collective is not about to lay big money on the line for a QB who has not proven himself at the SEC or similar level - why would they ?

Napier has spoken positively about Brown's skills and attitude - just said he's not yet ready to play.
But even when down 30-0, they refused to play him for a series in the Las Vegas Bowl !
Why ?
Was Miller going to ignite some record breaking comeback ?
Why wouldn't you check Brown out in a game situation; you already knew Miller was a dud !
The kid only had 2 years of high school and was very good it seems. Maybe Billy & staff have been working with him in the areas of reading defenses, footwork, learning the playbook or whatever it is that he felt he wasn't ready.

But we don't know do we - no open practices.
Two days of L V Bowl practice & Miller named the starter - & Gators got embarrassed !

I don't think we should throw in the towel on Brown just yet and should wait to see how it plays out during spring practice.
Ocala,

I think that you are missing the point - Brown has "thrown in the towel" on Napier & it doesn't look he will be in Spring Football Practice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: instaGATOR

There are exceptions given to transfers sometimes.

Reactions: instaGATOR
fsu,

Why would someone who isn't even enrolled at the Univ Florida be given an exception ?

Is this a modern day "Animal Farm" ?

"All student are equal, but some students are more equal than others ?"

Haha it's been done before and I know it can be done. Unfortunately, not all students are equal

There are exceptions given to transfers sometimes.

But he is not transferring - he is a high school graduate enrolling in college (at least as i understand it).

That said, if he showed up today wanting to enroll, I would be surprised if someone didnt come up with a way to get him in

• Love
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Ocala,

Why is Howard's 1st visit to Ole Miss ?

How many times has Billy (& many other Head Coaches) made a "big push" for a player & struck out ?

My first post in this thread was Billy's big push for Arch Manning. Arch talked up the Gators - but never even visited.

But I was proud of Billy for rising to the challenge.

Billy is a far better at recruiter than Mullen ever was, unfortunately, NIL has given him an unbelievable challenge.

Howard was Rated as the nation’s No. 1 dual-threat QB by ESPN and listed No. 5 by 247Sports.
As a senior, passed for 2,394 yards and 25 TDs.
As a junior, passed for 3,430 yards and 42 TDs
https://lsusports.net/sports/fb/roster/player/walker-howard/

Billy, so far, has NOT developed any great passing QBs or had a great passing offense. He has consistently stated he prefers a run first offense.
I don't believe that a QB like Howard would have any interest in Billy as his QB Coach & OC.

As several sources stated, that $13MM to Rashada, was pure unadulterated, BS.

After the fiasco with Rashada, IMO, Gator Collective is not about to lay big money on the line for a QB who has not proven himself at the SEC or similar level - why would they ?
I agree that the $13 million to Rashada was not factual. Josh Pate never stated a number in his podcast, but did say that he had verified sources that told him the Gator Collective had made a written promise of a certain dollar amount if he flipped from Miami and then reneged on that promise after he signed his NLI on ESD. I've never stated any dollar amount because I don't know and have never seen a post or heard a video anywhere that gives evidence to how much his NIL offer was for. But according to Pate, whatever it was, the Gator boosters (not coaches, UAA or UF administrators) did not come through as promised. Therefore, Rashada was not going to show up on campus and, to me, that is understandable if true.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT