ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Especially with linemen. O'Cyrus Torrence was a 3-star player out of high school with a .8302 composite rating. Yet he turned into a 1st team All American and 1st round NFL draft pick. 4 & 5 star High school potential only translates into big time D1 production if they get the right coaching and are willing to put in the work to develop. This D-lineman we got from Louisville, Caleb Banks, was only a 3 star out of high school with a .8578 composite rating who barely saw the field as a redshirt freshman. Napier must believe the kid is willing to work his tail off to break into the rotation at Florida. Film analysis, relationship building, intuition and a good bit of luck is needed when you take portal guys, IMO.

Yep O line is the one spot a lot of 3 stars end up being really good if they develop. Banks is an interesting portal pickup for the D line. He looked good enough in his limited playing time for some services to make him a 4 star transfer despite being a 3 star recruit. I think he will play a lot in 2023.

Someone mentioned what space did we have to sign players. I read somewhere yesterday we had 9 scholarship slots if you count the portal guys as being gone and the incoming players. Not sure if that counts the OSU LB as coming here or not. So when we lose a couple after spring that should mean we have room for double digit portal players if we choose to try and improve that way. I would be happy if we just brought 4 more key ones in to help with the departures but they need to be guys that have shown they can play at a high level.

Especially with linemen. O'Cyrus Torrence was a 3-star player out of high school with a .8302 composite rating. Yet he turned into a 1st team All American and 1st round NFL draft pick. 4 & 5 star High school potential only translates into big time D1 production if they get the right coaching and are willing to put in the work to develop. This D-lineman we got from Louisville, Caleb Banks, was only a 3 star out of high school with a .8578 composite rating who barely saw the field as a redshirt freshman. Napier must believe the kid is willing to work his tail off to break into the rotation at Florida. Film analysis, relationship building, intuition and a good bit of luck is needed when you take portal guys, IMO.
I honestly dont know a heck of alot about Caleb Banks. What I do know is he received a boat load of big time offers within 24 hours of him hitting the portal & he has size & athletic ability that you can’t teach. Has a high ceiling. We will see what happens.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Notre Dame!?

GrossJaggedAdeliepenguin-size_restricted.gif

Signing Day: Deion Sanders, Colorado contact Cormani McClain as Miami 5-star CB commit doesn't sign early​

Realized that I haven't seen a signing announcement about Cormani McClain.

This is Ancient History - 6 days old ! LOL

https://247sports.com/Article/Signi...5-star-CB-commit-doesnt-sign-early-201044892/

This is 1 day old - but doesn't say anything new.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...nresolved-recruitments-201311581/#201311581_1

EDIT

17 Hours Old - but little new; no predictions.

Chad Simmons, the Director of Recruiting for On3 stated on their podcast The Inside Scoop on Monday that Alabama, Colorado and Miami have all been in contact with McClain since the Lakeland star prospect chose to delay his recruitment.

Alabama and Colorado have emerged as the biggest challengers to Miami.

Simmons reported he hasn’t heard if Florida has been communicating with McClain.

Billy is smart enough to contact the 3rd ranked player in the 2022 class.

IMO, Gators not willing to get stupid for an untested HS Player, so Canes & Ruiz stepped in.

NOW that McClain has sucked the life out of Canes & gotten Ruiz's Best & Final offer - LOL.

He is off to tap dance with Bama & Prime Time.

Stay tuned for fun & games galore.

https://caneswarning.com/2022/12/26...football-biggest-cormani-mcclain-challengers/

Anyone else have an update ?

Dare we hope for another Rashada ?

Hate to say it, but with McClain dancing back & forth between Prime Time & Bama, don't think we will retrieve him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
Everything you describe, it’s been like this for 30-50 years. The only thing different now is kids see how much money is flying around and they want some of it. As far as ramen and all that, thats life. If you have marketable skills, you’ll get paid.

If some 20 year old minor leaguer or nba g leaguer isn’t getting playing time, and goes somewhere else to try to make a pro roster, is he selfish? I respect the hustle.

That’s what this is. It’s minor league NFL. Has been for quite a while.
Yes, I know it's been going on for many years, hence why I wrote "before NIL" multiple times. The difference now is that there isn't even a faux charade of making it appear as if formal education is being conducted or valued by the alleged "student athletes", their parents, the coaches, the school administration, or really anyone involved. I respect and appreciate the hustle of life in all of its forms as much as the next guy as I've come from the trailer as a boy to providing financial security and independence for my family as a husband and father. Any NIL received by players is in excess of the guestimated $50k annual value of tuition, room, board, creme de la creme food (way better than what the actual gen pop students get to eat at the on campus dining), clothes, tutors, academic assistance, catered scheduling, travel expenses, game tickets, etc. Again, this has been going on for our entire lives, but my point is that the greatly diminished school pride, loyalty, and general indifference to being a Gator, for whatever that's worth, from the players makes fans like me feel less attached to the players and makes me wonder why should I care if they don't. The notion to go to war in the trenches with my fellow Gators, both regular students and the just here to play football players, is losing its luster as kids don't care about UF, Gators football, or even team winning and losing as long as their individual cash flow is set. I understand that but it doesn't mean I like it.

Yes, I know it's been going on for many years, hence why I wrote "before NIL" multiple times. The difference now is that there isn't even a faux charade of making it appear as if formal education is being conducted or valued by the alleged "student athletes", their parents, the coaches, the school administration, or really anyone involved. I respect and appreciate the hustle of life in all of its forms as much as the next guy as I've come from the trailer as a boy to providing financial security and independence for my family as a husband and father. Any NIL received by players is in excess of the guestimated $50k annual value of tuition, room, board, creme de la creme food (way better than what the actual gen pop students get to eat at the on campus dining), clothes, tutors, academic assistance, catered scheduling, travel expenses, game tickets, etc. Again, this has been going on for our entire lives, but my point is that the greatly diminished school pride, loyalty, and general indifference to being a Gator, for whatever that's worth, from the players makes fans like me feel less attached to the players and makes me wonder why should I care if they don't. The notion to go to war in the trenches with my fellow Gators, both regular students and the just here to play football players, is losing its luster as kids don't care about UF, Gators football, or even team winning and losing as long as their individual cash flow is set. I understand that but it doesn't mean I like it.
Totally agree. If you ever watch the DVD called "Gridiron Gators - 100 Years of Gator Football" it's theme is that the University of Florida is a special place where Gator players had a real pride in playing here and being part of the Gator traditions. They talked about the lifetime bonds that were created and how everybody gave their all, not only for their teammates and coaches, but to make the students and fans proud. And I'm sure it was that way at most schools until the last few years and now seems to be totally gone. It is what it is, but as an old man who has been following Gator athletics for most of my 71 years, it's just plain sad.

Deon's Luggage - Part 2

Deion Sanders didn’t make the splash we all expected as he pushed 3 stars out of the class to add more 3 stars. This will be interesting to follow in 2024.
https://mikefarrellsports.com/3-poi...sers-2023-sleepers-key-pieces-in-new-offenses

Rivals Team Ranking #45
NO 5*, NO 4*, 20 - 3*, 3-2*

Noles - #17
Gators #20
Canes #31
UCF #55
TAMU #1

https://colorado.rivals.com/commitments/football/2022

I dont think Colorado has big boosters buying too many players with NIL so Deion will probably get a low number of blue chippers next class. I doubt they are even in the top 25 in recruiting next class but classes like that can let you compete when USC and UCLA take off. Oregon may have it easy though in the new PAC 12.

LT Richard Gouriage **** & RG O'Cyrus Torrence *** -- NFL Draft.
RT Michael Tarquin **** & LG Ethan White *** -- To the Portal.
OL Josh Braun **** & Yousef Mugharbil **** have already gone Portal.
==========

OC Kingsley Equakun is the only OL starter remaining for 2023.
The Fr 6th Man AA Swing Tackle Austin Barber also returns.

The iG's Projected OL for 2023

#47 LT Austin Barber 6-6 312 So *** - 1st Team Fr AA 6th Man
#48 LG Richie Leonard IV Jr 6-2 318 Jr ***
#40 OG/OC Kingsley Equakun 6-3 301 rsJr *** 2022 starter
NR RG Kamryn Waites 6-8 373 rsSo -- NR but a **** transfer
#31 OG/RT Jalen Farmer 6-5 334 rsFr ***
6th Man Slot
#67 OG Christian Williams 6-4 319 rsFr ***
NR OT Jordan Herman 6-8 370 Jr - JuCo xfer
-----
Depth
#30 OG Riley Simonds 6-3 289 rsJr ***
#33 OT Will Harrod 6-4 325 rsJr ****
#44 OG/OT Jake Slaughter 6-5 292 rsSo ***
#120 OT Mark Pitts 6-6 313 rsSo ***
NR OG Hayden Clem 6-2 295 rsSo

Incoming OL, with 2 possibly at 2nd string level, and one at 3rd string.
#29 IOL Knijeah Harris 6-3 328 Fr *** - A 3 Yr IMG starter, possible mid-season tFr starter.
#5 IOL Roderick Kearney 6-4 292 Fr **** - Has played OT/OG/OC
#49 OT Bryce Lovett 6-5 336 Fr *** - Solid future potential.

While looking for 3-4 more OL in the Portal, and/or Feb HS NSD late comers.

LT Richard Gouriage **** & RG O'Cyrus Torrence *** -- NFL Draft.
RT Michael Tarquin **** & LG Ethan White *** -- To the Portal.
OL Josh Braun **** & Yousef Mugharbil **** have already gone Portal.
==========

OC Kingsley Equakun is the only OL starter remaining for 2023.
The Fr 6th Man AA Swing Tackle Austin Barber also returns.

The iG's Projected OL for 2023

#47 LT Austin Barber 6-6 312 So *** - 1st Team Fr AA 6th Man
#48 LG Richie Leonard IV Jr 6-2 318 Jr ***
#40 OG/OC Kingsley Equakun 6-3 301 rsJr *** 2022 starter
NR RG Kamryn Waites 6-8 373 rsSo -- NR but a **** transfer
#31 OG/RT Jalen Farmer 6-5 334 rsFr ***
6th Man Slot
#67 OG Christian Williams 6-4 319 rsFr ***
NR OT Jordan Herman 6-8 370 Jr - JuCo xfer
-----
Depth
#30 OG Riley Simonds 6-3 289 rsJr ***
#33 OT Will Harrod 6-4 325 rsJr ****
#44 OG/OT Jake Slaughter 6-5 292 rsSo ***
#120 OT Mark Pitts 6-6 313 rsSo ***
NR OG Hayden Clem 6-2 295 rsSo

Incoming OL, with 2 possibly at 2nd string level, and one at 3rd string.
#29 IOL Knijeah Harris 6-3 328 Fr *** - A 3 Yr IMG starter, possible mid-season tFr starter.
#5 IOL Roderick Kearney 6-4 292 Fr **** - Has played OT/OG/OC
#49 OT Bryce Lovett 6-5 336 Fr *** - Solid future potential.

While looking for 3-4 more OL in the Portal, and/or Feb HS NSD late comers.

Barber is going to be good watching him this past season and Eguakun is serviceable. We have to hope those newer ones develop a lot before the season and we better at least get one O lineman in the portal that is ready to play in the SEC right now.

Barber is going to be good watching him this past season and Eguakun is serviceable. We have to hope those newer ones develop a lot before the season and we better at least get one O lineman in the portal that is ready to play in the SEC right now.
When Tarquin got hurt Barber stepped in played very well. Richie Leonard played a lot as well. Waites will probably be a starter next year and we just have to hope some of the younger guys develop into starter-caliber. Would be nice to get an experienced starter via the portal, though.

Anyone know much about this guy? He did have over 700 yards even though this team was a wreck this year. He had 82 yards against our defense. If he is a speedy stretch the field type it might pay to get him for that one year.

Reactions: gatordad3
Totally agree. If you ever watch the DVD called "Gridiron Gators - 100 Years of Gator Football" it's theme is that the University of Florida is a special place where Gator players had a real pride in playing here and being part of the Gator traditions. They talked about the lifetime bonds that were created and how everybody gave their all, not only for their teammates and coaches, but to make the students and fans proud. And I'm sure it was that way at most schools until the last few years and now seems to be totally gone. It is what it is, but as an old man who has been following Gator athletics for most of my 71 years, it's just plain sad.
I agree it is sad. But you can’t expect kids to give up money, or a better shot at playing time to get a shot at getting drafted, so we can all feel nostalgic. Anyone talking about amateurism or whatever, sorry you’re walking around blind without a cane. This sport has been professional for decades. Just they’ve been able to avoid paying the players. That’s over now.

The answer is obvious: allow schools to sign contracts with the kids with the money coming out of the ncaa’s kitty. But the ncaa and member schools would rather keep all that money and stick us with this third party NIL mess. To me this is an NCAA issue 100 percent. Complete abdication of its responsibility. And they risk really damaging the relationship between fans and schools, which is the best thing they had going for them.

In the end, the NCAA is going to have to come off some of that tv money. If they don’t, a competitor will.

I agree it is sad. But you can’t expect kids to give up money, or a better shot at playing time to get a shot at getting drafted, so we can all feel nostalgic. Anyone talking about amateurism or whatever, sorry you’re walking around blind without a cane. This sport has been professional for decades. Just they’ve been able to avoid paying the players. That’s over now.

The answer is obvious: allow schools to sign contracts with the kids with the money coming out of the ncaa’s kitty. But the ncaa and member schools would rather keep all that money and stick us with this third party NIL mess. To me this is an NCAA issue 100 percent. Complete abdication of its responsibility. And they risk really damaging the relationship between fans and schools, which is the best thing they had going for them.

In the end, the NCAA is going to have to come off some of that tv money. If they don’t, a competitor will.

I doubt they ever do. They will just claim you don't have to give out NIL if it doesn't make business sense and some big school boosters will follow that reasoning and the ones that were paying before won't. The big boosters probably don't like having to pay the mid-grade 4 stars anything though which NIL has created.

You miss the point that it wasn't amateurism before NIL and this isn't about fans feeling nostalgic. The guestimated annual $50k or more value of tuition, books, room, board, the best food on campus, private tutors, travel expenses, catered class and exam schedules provided by professors, tickets, friends and family benefits, etc. was and still is their consideration for services rendered as a "student athlete" to the school. Whether or not a player makes it to the pros after satisfying the NFL's 3 years from high school/age requirements is not the concern of the schools or the fans as the schools and the fans are providing valuable educational and living accommodations for the players time and energy spent as a member of the football team. They are getting valuable consideration whether or not they are good enough to make football a lucrative career subsequently as a pro.

You miss the point that it wasn't amateurism before NIL and this isn't about fans feeling nostalgic. The guestimated annual $50k or more value of tuition, books, room, board, the best food on campus, private tutors, travel expenses, catered class and exam schedules provided by professors, tickets, friends and family benefits, etc. was and still is their consideration for services rendered as a "student athlete" to the school. Whether or not a player makes it to the pros after satisfying the NFL's 3 years from high school/age requirements is not the concern of the schools or the fans as the schools and the fans are providing valuable educational and living accommodations for the players time and energy spent as a member of the football team. They are getting valuable consideration whether or not they are good enough to make football a lucrative career subsequently as a pro.
Maybe this will go the route of they are no longer amateurs and therefore not entitled to fee tuition, room and board, etc. fair is fair. You wanna be big boys, take on big boy responsibilities.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Maybe this will go the route of they are no longer amateurs and therefore not entitled to fee tuition, room and board, etc. fair is fair. You wanna be big boys, take on big boy responsibilities.
At the very least, they should be taxed on all the valuable non-NIL benefits received. NIL benefits will obviously be taxed but all the other on the books benefits valued in the thousands upon thousands that other real students earn and pay for themselves (or their parents do if the student comes from a generous loving family). Not to mention all the off the books benefits that have been going on since 1869, lol, let's get to documenting and taxing all that too, haha, if only.

When Billy Napier, Keary Colbert and Co. embarked on the first full recruiting class of their tenure in Gainesville, one of the largest areas of emphasis was to re-equip the WR position with the talent it once had.
Gator's Dynamic 4-star WR Haul in 2023, with ranking, plus coaches narrative fluff...

#16 WR Aidan Mizell 6-2 162 EE - 10.6 100-M so he'll also run Track.
A Gator dual Track Legacy needing 10-15 pounds of muscle before he can be a serviceable SEC option.

#19 WR-Slot Eugene 'Tre' Wilson III 5-11 165 - Father was a NFL CB.
Mature with Deep Threat Speed and with 4.0 character & intelligence, but a summer arrival. He also needs 10-15 lbs of added muscle.

#53 WR-Boundry Andy Jean 6-1 182
He has the ability to work the route tree in its entirety with a propensity to create space with swift movement in and out of his breaks, while he presents a threat to make routine and contested catches with ease.
=====

2022 departing WR's:

#2 Justin Shorter 6-4 223 rsJr *****- ED to NFL Draft
#106 Jordan Pouncey 6-1 217 rsSr *** - Eligibility exhausted

#103 Trent Whittemore 6-3 206 *** - Grad-Jr, smart sure handed Slot to Portal
#24 WR Daejon Reynolds 6-2 204 rsFr **** - Portal
#13 WR Creed Whittemore 6-0 175 **** - Highest rated, flipped commit to MsSt
#133 WR Tyree Patterson 6-2 175 *** - Flipped commit to UCF.

With 3 in and 6 out, it looks like he's losing ground to me....
-----

He also lost #18 TE Nick Elksnis 6-6 234 rsFr **** - Portal to SCa

When Billy Napier, Keary Colbert and Co. embarked on the first full recruiting class of their tenure in Gainesville, one of the largest areas of emphasis was to re-equip the WR position with the talent it once had.
Gator's Dynamic 4-star WR Haul in 2023, with ranking, plus coaches narrative fluff...

A Gator dual Track Legacy needing 10-15 pounds of muscle before he can be a serviceable SEC option.

Mature with Deep Threat Speed and with 4.0 character & intelligence, but a summer arrival. He also needs 10-15 lbs of added muscle.

He has the ability to work the route tree in its entirety with a propensity to create space with swift movement in and out of his breaks, while he presents a threat to make routine and contested catches with ease.
=====

2022 departing WR's:

-----

How is 6 out when Creed & Tyree weren’t on the team? Makes no sense. More like 4 out

=====

2022 departing WR's:

-----

I like the incoming WRs but I think Wilson was the only one with any chance to play a lot right away. Being a summer enrollee probably keeps that from happening though.

#56 DT Cam'Ron Jackson 6-5.5 271 *** Natl. 649

DT Cam'Ron Jackson ESPN Stats at Memphis
2022 - 19 Tkls, 22 Ast-Tkls, 1 Sack, 0 FF, 0 Int
Vs LSU in Bowl - 1 Tkl/Sack

The 3 coming in are TONS better than the 3 leaving except for Shorter. Trent didnt do sh!t for the team either but probably b!tch and moan about playing time.
So unproven HS QB's get dissed on by you, while unproven HS WR's are the cat's meow....
Seems totally fair and equitable to me alright... 😂

And unlike the undersized/underweight HS recruits, all of those leaving actually have college level receptions....

WR Daejon Reynolds 6-2 204 Fr
11 for 244 Yds, 22.4 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's

WR Trent Whittemore 6-3 206 So
4 for 87 Yds, 21.8 Yds/Rec
Passing - 3 of 4, 75% for a 1st down and 2 TD's.

And Tittie-T, 6-0 175 #13 WR Creed, that flipped his commit due directly to Billy's coaching decisions, was a higher rated WR than any of the 3 newbees, and he doesn't need to gain 15-20 Lbs to be ready to play...

So just stop, you're embarrassing yourself with your biased ignorance...

So unproven HS QB's get dissed on by you, while unproven HS WR's are the cat's meow....
Seems totally fair and equitable to me alright... 😂

And unlike the undersized/underweight HS recruits, all of those leaving actually have college level receptions....

WR Daejon Reynolds 6-2 204 Fr
11 for 244 Yds, 22.4 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's

WR Trent Whittemore 6-3 206 So
4 for 87 Yds, 21.8 Yds/Rec
Passing - 3 of 4, 75% for a 1st down and 2 TD's.

And Tittie-T, 6-0 175 #13 WR Creed, that flipped his commit due directly to Billy's coaching decisions, was a higher rated WR than any of the 3 newbees, and he doesn't need to gain 15-20 Lbs to be ready to play...

So just stop, you're embarrassing yourself with your biased ignorance...
Creed is not a higher rated WR than all 3 of them. Where are you getting that from?

This is not factual just like you somehow including Creed & Tyree as part of the UF roster.

I’m a big fan of all 3 of our WR commits. They all have different skill sets and bring something different to the WR room.
Glad to see someone else on this board sees the skill sets that I see and understand why I am so excited about these 3. Hopefully Rashada and the 3 big TOM CATS can get it together quickly. The other 3 PU$$Y CATS didnt do so much other than Shorter and good luck to Justin in the future.

I'm getting it from the same place that I get most of my other recruit rankings, 247Sports

#10 Ath Creed Whittemore 5-11.5 175 - **** 94, Natl 129 - 10.85 100-M
Like his HS QB older brother, he was recruited to UF as a WR.

Creed was a quarterback on Friday nights that’s often times one of the best, if not the best, athlete on the field. Has spent the past two years directing a spread option attack to near perfection having accounted for over 4,000 yards of total offense and nearly 50 touchdowns. He is being recruited by at least one FBS program to take snaps at the next level – but is viewed by most as a wide receiver at the next level given his ability to change directions and make people miss in the open field. He seems to always find holes/creases in a defense and can navigate his way out of trouble with swift little cuts and an elite start-stop burst. Won a district title as a junior in the 100-meter dash with a 10.85

Doesn’t have a ton of experience catching the football, but worked out at wide receiver the summer before his junior season at Florida’s elite Friday Night Lights camp and created plenty of separation during 1-on-1s. And like his older brother, he has a high football IQ, and although Creed is a bit smaller, he has a verified top-end speed of 10.85 in the 100-meter dash in March 2022. He could work on the outside, but average frame and quick feet suggest that he will probably find most success in the slot. Also like Trent, he can run a special Wild-Cat package if needed.

Mom was a three-time all-conference volleyball player at Florida. Dad was wide receiver at UCF and is now the head coach at Gainsville (Fla.) Buchholz, and has two brothers that play college football. -- Trent WR at UF, now in portal -- Luke a WR at Troy.

Losing both Trent and Creed is a big mistake IMOHO, but others are free to see/judge things any way that makes them happy....

PS -- And I never counted them as 2022 roster losses, I counted them as losses to the coming 2023 WR roster, which they are.

I'm getting it from the same place that I get most of my other recruit rankings, 247Sports

#10 Ath Creed Whittemore 5-11.5 175 - **** 94, Natl 129 - 10.85 100-M
Like his HS QB older brother, he was recruited to UF as a WR.

Creed was a quarterback on Friday nights that’s often times one of the best, if not the best, athlete on the field. Has spent the past two years directing a spread option attack to near perfection having accounted for over 4,000 yards of total offense and nearly 50 touchdowns. He is being recruited by at least one FBS program to take snaps at the next level – but is viewed by most as a wide receiver at the next level given his ability to change directions and make people miss in the open field. He seems to always find holes/creases in a defense and can navigate his way out of trouble with swift little cuts and an elite start-stop burst. Won a district title as a junior in the 100-meter dash with a 10.85

Doesn’t have a ton of experience catching the football, but worked out at wide receiver the summer before his junior season at Florida’s elite Friday Night Lights camp and created plenty of separation during 1-on-1s. And like his older brother, he has a high football IQ, and although Creed is a bit smaller, he has a verified top-end speed of 10.85 in the 100-meter dash in March 2022. He could work on the outside, but average frame and quick feet suggest that he will probably find most success in the slot. Also like Trent, he can run a special Wild-Cat package if needed.

Mom was a three-time all-conference volleyball player at Florida. Dad was wide receiver at UCF and is now the head coach at Gainsville (Fla.) Buchholz, and has two brothers that play college football. -- Trent WR at UF, now in portal -- Luke a WR at Troy.

Losing both Trent and Creed is a big mistake IMOHO, but others are free to see/judge things any way that makes them happy....

PS -- And I never counted them as 2022 roster losses, I counted them as losses to the coming 2023 WR roster, which they are.
On 247 Creed is ranked as the #331 player in the nation. Aiden Mizell is ranked #94 and Eugene Wilson is ranked #112 so again not sure what rankings you are looking at.

Reactions: TEBOW TIME
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT