ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Think these guys are just testing the NIL market, as you would expect. If that’s going to be the deal, UF is going to have to be competitive there.

Think these guys are just testing the NIL market, as you would expect. If that’s going to be the deal, UF is going to have to be competitive there.

Unless we have quite a few young O linemen that are going to make big strides it is pretty crazy. It wouldn't surprise me either if some of these guys that don't get as much NIL as they want don't end up taking less than they were asking at their transfer school.

Prime Time's New Luggage

Travis Hunter
transferred to Colorado and Deion Sanders on Signing Day. The portal's No. 1 player, from Jackson State, made good on his promise to announce his decision after he reached 100,000 subscribers on YouTube and the media took note as the Buffaloes made one of the college football's biggest recruiting splashes Wednesday.

"I'm officially a Buffalo," Hunter said during the video announcement, while wearing a CU hat. "Anyways, y'all know what time is going on, y'all know what time it is, man: Prime Time. And I'm a part of that Louis (Vuitton) bag."

Hunter referenced Sanders' first meeting with the Colorado team, when he suggested that players should hit the transfer portal because, "I'm bringing my own luggage with me, and it's Louis," alluding to the high-caliber transfers he would bring to Boulder.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...er-makes-media-take-note-201149583/#2070841_1

New Colorado head football coach Deion Sanders went viral after his first speech to the Buffaloes, where he seemingly encouraged the inherited CU players to hit the NCAA transfer portal. Fox Sports analyst and former Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt defended the approach, explaining that Sanders' message was a necessary one.

"You heard it; I don’t have to play it," Klatt said on Breaking the Huddle. "He said, ‘Listen, you hit that portal, you existing Buffaloes. Hit that portal, because I’m bringing my luggage and it’s Louis (Vuitton),’ he said. First of all, what an amazing line. Second of all, what’s he supposed to do? He can’t … he’s not going to be able to turn that roster into all of a sudden a bowl roster next year. That’s a 1-11 roster. That’s a roster that is not very good. The commitments that they had for next year, everyone’s like, ’They’re not honoring their scholarships.’ Exactly. That’s the point."

Klatt went on to say that bringing in new players was essential for Sanders as he builds the Colorado program.

https://247sports.com/Article/Joel-...ootball-players-about-transferring-200100650/

This will be the new normal in college football. These kids are looking to get paid...wait until bowl season is done it will get even crazier.

This will be the new normal in college football. These kids are looking to get paid...wait until bowl season is done it will get even crazier.
We just need to get with it and start getting our share. Otherwise we're going to get left in the dust.

Agreed. Napier will need to replace with equal or greater talent...maybe we are already working some deals behind the scene?

Hopefully. If we don't get any plug and play O linemen I am going to start to wonder what the heck is going on and if our big booster budget is that limited.

Hopefully. If we don't get any plug and play O linemen I am going to start to wonder what the heck is going on and if our big booster budget is that limited.
My thinking is that the way UF has chosen to handle the NIL thing with the "Gator Collective" is just not working compared to the way other big schools are doing it.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Is there even a class enrollment, class attendance, minimum GPA, or any bare essential academic requirements anymore for "student athletes"? What's the point? Grades, degrees, education is not paying them nor will having that pay them in the future since even if they by chance do pursue anything academically it's usually some useless major like Family, Youth, Community Services or Sociology that isn't worth much and has nothing to do with their future non-football work regardless if they are good enough for pro football or not. Focus is money now in college football because pro football money is not a given in the future so no need to focus on academics while "in college" since none of them have the intellect, time, or energy to spend on a high payoff worthwhile major degree like Engineering (any), Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, or Accounting. Before NIL, the "student athlete" moniker was a joke but now it's not even trying to fake it for football players with tutors, easy classes, passing grades for showing up like in the old days......now, it's just rubber stamp their minimum academic requirements for them not doing their classes and pay them the money they think they "deserve" for just being on the roster or they will transfer.

I ate ramen in college, took out student loans, studied hard for my accounting degree, and paid off loans because I grew up poor. These "student athletes" get free college, eat steak, fish, all the nice foods, free clothes, free tutors, easy classes, and that was all before the recent years of getting paid NIL on top of all the aforementioned nice stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
My thinking is that the way UF has chosen to handle the NIL thing with the "Gator Collective" is just not working compared to the way other big schools are doing it.

I hope our admin isn't affecting how our big boosters are handling this. I can see not going crazy like some paying unproven high school kids but if you are in the SEC and don't have top 6/7 area classes its going to be really hard most years to get to 10 wins and a guaranteed playoff spot if you aren't active getting some key portal transfers and keeping most of the good players from entering the portal. I understand not overpaying if a kid is asking for too much but you better get some replacements if the young guys aren't ready yet.

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
I hope our admin isn't affecting how our big boosters are handling this. I can see not going crazy like some paying unproven high school kids but if you are in the SEC and don't have top 6/7 area classes its going to be really hard most years to get to 10 wins and a guaranteed playoff spot if you aren't active getting some key portal transfers and keeping most of the good players from entering the portal. I understand not overpaying if a kid is asking for too much but you better get some replacements if the young guys aren't ready yet.
UK had some serious NIL issues a few months ago. Some of those have been resolved but there’s a least one big one left to deal with. We’ve had several NIL threads go to 5-6 pages but I can’t hardly keep up with it all.

It’s sad but it’s gotten to the point that NIL package$ are absolutely necessary to bring in and retain the top shelf talent.

Reactions: Gator Fever
UK had some serious NIL issues a few months ago. Some of those have been resolved but there’s a least one big one left to deal with. We’ve had several NIL threads go to 5-6 pages but I can’t hardly keep up with it all.

It’s sad but it’s gotten to the point that NIL package$ are absolutely necessary to bring in and retain the top shelf talent.

Are you guys generally picking up more 3 and 4 star rated transfers in the portal than you are losing decent players? That QB was a nice pickup if he gets healthy.

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
Are you guys generally picking up more 3 and 4 star rated transfers in the portal than you are losing decent players? That QB was a nice pickup if he gets healthy.
If you guys will indulge me, here's a list of UK's incoming and outgoing guys through the portal with my comments:

Transfers-in (6):
OL: Tanner Bowles (Alabama) - Instate KY kid recruited by UK out of HS; couldn't crack the lineup at Bama.
OT: Marques Cox (No. Illinois) - We played No Illinios this season, and when he entered the portal, he was our staff's top OT target. Glad we got him as we have a glaring need for OT going into 23.
CB: JQ Hardaway (Cincinnati) - Recruited by UK out of HS.
DB: Jantzen Dunn (Ohio State) Instate KY kid recruited by UK out of HS; injured and didn't play much; assume the staff checked him out medically.
QB: Devin Leary (NC State) . Great pickup by UK staff.
RB: Ray Davis (Vanderbilt) Great pickup by UK staff.

Transfers-out (11):
RB: Kavosiey Smoke, SuSr (to: TBD). Played against you guys this season, had a decent game. Eligible for a Covid year but has decided to move on.
TE: Keaton Upshaw, SR (Georgia So.) . Outstanding young man, decent player but got passed on the depth chart.
WR: DeMarcus Harris, SR (Marshall) - Passed on the depth chart.
WR: Chauncey Magwood, SO (UCF) - Passed on the depth chart, hate to see him go.
WR: Christian Lewis, FR (Troy) - Passed on the depth chart, hate to see him go. Keep your eyes on Troy HC Jon Sumrall (former UK player) if Napier doesn't work out.
WR: Rahsaan Lewis, SR (to: TBD) . Son of Ray Lewis, had some nice moments at UK but has decided to move on.
WR: Tae Tae Crumes, JR (to: TBD)- Passed on the depth chart.
OL: John Young, SO (Miami, OH) - Passed on the depth chart.
CB: Adrian Huey, RFR (to: TBD) - Passed on the depth chart.
RB: Michael Drennen (to: TBD) - Passed on the depth chart.
OT: Kiyaunta Goodwin (to: TBD) - 5* recruit, played mostly on special teams as true FR. Kid is a project and couldn't stay in playing shape. He might decide to come back but likely will move on. He probably thinks he should be playing right away. Speculated he may end up at Louisville. We'll see.

As I mentioned previously, Stoops and staff have done a great job by upgrading over team talent through the portal.

Last edited:
The Gator Collective…

caddyshack-ted-knight.gif

A big turnover in the Secondary.... (stars/ranking by 247)
The Secondary is going to be much better, or much worse in 2023...
Make of it what you will....

OUT-GOING ((NFL-Portal-Dismissed)

#9 CB Jalen Kimber 6-0 178 So **** .9534 - UGly xfer-in, now back out.
#24 CB Avery Helm 6-1 170 So **** .8937
#30 CB Jordan Young 6-0 192 Fr **** .8909
-----
#17 S/CB/Nic Trey Deen III Sr **** .9222 - starter - To NFL draft
#42 S Tre'Vez Johnson 5-11 194 So *** .8800 - starter - ED To NFL draft or Portal
-----
#6 S Corey Collier Jr 6-1 179 Fr **** .9525
#12 S Donovan McMillon 6-1 205 So **** .9237
#30 S Kamar Wilcoxson 6-1 200 rsFr **** .8979 (out before aTm game)
#33 S Rashad Torrence II 6-0 202 So **** .8950
#34 CB/S/KR Fenley Graham 5-9 171 *** - dismissed early on
==========

IN-COMING

#14 CB Ja'Keem Jackson 6-.5 189 **** .9455 - 10.9 100M
#26 CB-S/Nic Sharif Denson 5-11.5 170 **** .9159
#16 Ath/CB Aaron Gates 6-1 195 **** .8995
-----
#7 S/CB Dijon Johnson 6-1 189 **** .9548
#13 S/CB/Nic Jordan Castell 6-2 195 **** .9223
#35 S Bryce Thronton 5-10 185 **** .8933
==========

Already ON Roster

#2 CB Jason Marshall Jr 6-1 198 So ***** .9854 - starter
#32 CB Jaydon Hill 6-0 181 rsSo **** .8969 - starter
-----
#3 CB Kamari Wilson 6-0 209 Fr **** .9807
#12 CB Ethan Pouncey 6-1 168 So **** .9278
#20 S/CB Devin Moore 6-3 198 Fr **** .9103
#3 CB/S/Nic Jadarrius Perkins 6-0 186 Jr **** .8904 (JuCo xfer)
#35 S Dakota Mitchell 5-11 180 Fr *** .8848
#65 Ath/S Miguel Mitchell 6-1 203 Fr *** .8630
-----
#167 S Cruz Rushing 6-0 194 Fr *** -- PWO
NR S Javion Toombs 5-11 181 Fr -- PWO
NR S Cahron Rackley 5-10 189 rsFr -- WO

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Keep in mind that any ship athlete that puts their name on the xfer Portal list can instantly have their ship cancelled by the school, so they are rolling the ship dice when they do it....

They could be left stranded with no ship to anywhere....

Last edited:

-----
#42 S Tre'Vez Johnson 5-11 194 So *** .8800 - starter - ED To NFL draft or Portal
-----
==========

IN-COMING

-----
==========

Already ON Roster

-----
-----

If we are lucky with injuries in the secondary and don't lose anymore I think we may survive all those departures back there. Its the O line that has me the most worried at this point.

Reactions: gatordad3

-----
-----
==========

IN-COMING

-----
==========

Already ON Roster

-----
-----
Torrence the only one I'd miss. Looking at this detailed post, I'm not as concerned about our secondary as I previously was. Aside from Torrence, all the other transfers out sucked. We have a good amount of good young DB's already here and incoming combined.

Reactions: gatordad3
Is there even a class enrollment, class attendance, minimum GPA, or any bare essential academic requirements anymore for "student athletes"? What's the point? Grades, degrees, education is not paying them nor will having that pay them in the future since even if they by chance do pursue anything academically it's usually some useless major like Family, Youth, Community Services or Sociology that isn't worth much and has nothing to do with their future non-football work regardless if they are good enough for pro football or not. Focus is money now in college football because pro football money is not a given in the future so no need to focus on academics while "in college" since none of them have the intellect, time, or energy to spend on a high payoff worthwhile major degree like Engineering (any), Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, or Accounting. Before NIL, the "student athlete" moniker was a joke but now it's not even trying to fake it for football players with tutors, easy classes, passing grades for showing up like in the old days......now, it's just rubber stamp their minimum academic requirements for them not doing their classes and pay them the money they think they "deserve" for just being on the roster or they will transfer.

I ate ramen in college, took out student loans, studied hard for my accounting degree, and paid off loans because I grew up poor. These "student athletes" get free college, eat steak, fish, all the nice foods, free clothes, free tutors, easy classes, and that was all before the recent years of getting paid NIL on top of all the aforementioned nice stuff.
Everything you describe, it’s been like this for 30-50 years. The only thing different now is kids see how much money is flying around and they want some of it. As far as ramen and all that, thats life. If you have marketable skills, you’ll get paid.

If some 20 year old minor leaguer or nba g leaguer isn’t getting playing time, and goes somewhere else to try to make a pro roster, is he selfish? I respect the hustle.

That’s what this is. It’s minor league NFL. Has been for quite a while.

What's it about? Was he a friend of Kitna? He's a really good player and a starter leaving is troublesome.

Based on his mom’s Twitter post I assumed it had to do with Billy and staff.

Not sure what is going on, but Billy may be going a little too far with gutting the roster, but if he has the OK to only win 3 next year, I guess thats what we get

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
White and staff don’t quite see eye to eye. Based on what I have heard from some of the younger players and stuff that is even out there on social networking sites that lots of the “older” players don’t seem willing to put in the work. Definitely some culture changes from the prior staff that the “older” players aren’t used too.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Based on his mom’s Twitter post I assumed it had to do with Billy and staff.

Not sure what is going on, but Billy may be going a little to far with gutting the roster, but if he has the OK to inly win 3 next year, I guess thats what we get

This happened with us as well, we had almost 60% of our original roster transfer out, quit, get kicked off the team, etc. In the era of portal and NIL, when a coaching change happens s, expect this to happen as well. I wouldn't say it's a negative but it makes it harder to win the next yr if you aren't aggressive in the portal as well. Seems Billy is playing the long game. I don't expect UF to be great next yr but if you give him some time these young er guys will grow up and be very good. The only issue I see with this approach is what if some of these guys transfer out as well? Then you bare just restarting again. It's why I'm a firm believer in being aggressive in the portal.

Everything you describe, it’s been like this for 30-50 years. The only thing different now is kids see how much money is flying around and they want some of it. As far as ramen and all that, thats life. If you have marketable skills, you’ll get paid.

If some 20 year old minor leaguer or nba g leaguer isn’t getting playing time, and goes somewhere else to try to make a pro roster, is he selfish? I respect the hustle.

That’s what this is. It’s minor league NFL. Has been for quite a while.

But it isn't an NFL affiliate. I admit it's a nice setup for the NFL though to find out who has potential. Might as well give the power 5 colleges salary caps and treat it as a pro-league. That way you could buy proven Canada league players that would perform much better than many of these overrated recruits and would be a much cheaper option than someone still developing for the NFL. The truth is only the biggest boosters can get this under control some and the ones that do will see their teams take a hit talent wise for doing it. If this was truly just market based NIL only a few of these players would be raking it in.

You have to recruit high school talent and recruit it good if you want to win championships. The proof is in the pudding just looking at the last few national champions or SEC champions. Portal is great for rebuilding but IMO it isn’t a sustainable model if you want to be successful year in and year out. Now the portal is still relatively new so we will see if that changes the above facts but I don’t think your going to see teams winning nattys or SEC titles without top 5 recruiting classes or a big time QB. Now the top programs are using the portal for a filler here or there. Gibbs at Bama example but no doubt the UGAs, Bama’s, Ohio St were built through high school recruiting and developing players in your system for 3-4 years.

White and staff don’t quite see eye to eye. Based on what I have heard from some of the younger players and stuff that is even out there on social networking sites that lots of the “older” players don’t seem willing to put in the work. Definitely some culture changes from the prior staff that the “older” players aren’t used too.
If true, it's too bad that there was that big a difference between the commitment and effort demanded by Mullen as compared to Napier. Let's just hope that all the guys remaining have truly bought in.

You have to recruit high school talent and recruit it good if you want to win championships. The proof is in the pudding just looking at the last few national champions or SEC champions. Portal is great for rebuilding but IMO it isn’t a sustainable model if you want to be successful year in and year out. Now the portal is still relatively new so we will see if that changes the above facts but I don’t think your going to see teams winning nattys or SEC titles without top 5 recruiting classes or a big time QB. Now the top programs are using the portal for a filler here or there. Gibbs at Bama example but no doubt the UGAs, Bama’s, Ohio St were built through high school recruiting and developing players in your system for 3-4 years.

True but I do wonder if going Portal crazy is going to buy a power 5 conference championship soon. I wonder if TCU recovered so quick due to that but haven't really paid attention to what they did. FSU looks like they have that plan but a good Clemson probably stops that.

I guess what makes me nervous is that without a crazy good QB we aren't beating Bama and Georgia much as long as they are recruiting like that. I think we have to be a little more active with top guys in the portal to get 10 win seasons and playoff berths considering what the SEC will be with TX and OK. At least a proven portal guy is kind of a known commodity unlike high school recruits when it comes to big booster money. As far as teams going money crazy with high school recruits TX and A&M are test cases this coming season since those recruits aren't 1st year players anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
True but I do wonder if going Portal crazy is going to buy a power 5 conference championship soon. I wonder if TCU recovered so quick due to that but haven't really paid attention to what they did. FSU looks like they have that plan but a good Clemson probably stops that.

I guess what makes me nervous is that without a crazy good QB we aren't beating Bama and Georgia much as long as they are recruiting like that. I think we have to be a little more active with top guys in the portal to get 10 win seasons and playoff berths considering what the SEC will be with TX and OK. At least a proven portal guy is kind of a known commodity unlike high school recruits when it comes to big booster money. As far as teams going money crazy with high school recruits TX and A&M are test cases this season since those recruits aren't 1st year players anymore.
We will have to chip away at them. Next years class has the potential to be better than this years class. Also it is why Napier is going after big time QBs. That is one way to get back in the game. You have to assume or hope one of Rashada or Lagway is going to pan out.

As for a portal players they are sometimes gambles as well. There is no guarantee they are going to work out either. Especially if taking a kid from a D2 or G5 program and asking him to play in the SEC. Coaches need to do their homework & Evals.

We will have to chip away at them. Next years class has the potential to be better than this years class. Also it is why Napier is going after big time QBs. That is one way to get back in the game. You have to assume or hope one of Rashada or Lagway is going to pan out.

As for a portal players they are sometimes gambles as well. There is no guarantee they are going to work out either. Especially if taking a kid from a D2 or G5 program and asking him to play in the SEC. Coaches need to do their homework & Evals.
Especially with linemen. O'Cyrus Torrence was a 3-star player out of high school with a .8302 composite rating. Yet he turned into a 1st team All American and 1st round NFL draft pick. 4 & 5 star High school potential only translates into big time D1 production if they get the right coaching and are willing to put in the work to develop. This D-lineman we got from Louisville, Caleb Banks, was only a 3 star out of high school with a .8578 composite rating who barely saw the field as a redshirt freshman. Napier must believe the kid is willing to work his tail off to break into the rotation at Florida. Film analysis, relationship building, intuition and a good bit of luck is needed when you take portal guys, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT