ADVERTISEMENT

College Baseball Thread

awesome, we have the mark richt of SEC baseball. He will NEVER win a championship if he couldn't with the teams he's had or even win a single game this year. He's got those kids in a losing mentality when they get there, they should have been the hungriest team in history this time around. They looked like the same scared little pissants ive watched time and time again. I choose not to watch it anymore, that would be foolishness to keep watching failure repeat itself.

Sully = Mike Martin

He can't win the big one. Great recruiter but not a good game day coach and needs to hire a hitting coach.

Don't get me wrong Sully is very good but maybe not good enough

he manages afraid to lose time after time in these situations and panics doing things the opposite way they need to be done.. it's who he is and we've seen plenty of examples time after time with the same results. It just ain't ever gonna happen with him here.

Whiniest bunch of puzzies I have ever seen around here.

Winning titles is HARD. Some of you need to "get" that.

Whiniest bunch of puzzies I have ever seen around here.

Winning titles is HARD. Some of you need to "get" that.
Yes it is very hard. He's a very good coach. He can recruit as good as anybody and develop pitchers as good as anybody but he's so so in game coaching and he needs to hire a hitting coach. It is becoming a trend that we seem to choke up in big game games. It looks like to me the team tightens up the bigger the game gets.

Don't be a nole. Not saying he isn't a good coach. But from what I know about him, he is not going to get us to the promised land without making some changes in himself. He is the only coach in history to go two and a BBQ with the number one team TWICE. There is a reason for that.
Of course, only one team since 1999 that was a number one seed actually won it all.

There is a reason for that.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I don't post here very often but college baseball is weird. The Gators were by far the best team in the nation this year but sometimes your best pitcher gets hit some and your bats go cold. The same way a crap team all year and come out of nowhere and win it.

It's incredible that FSU and UF have not won a championship despite both being very close based purely on numbers, especially FSU but there are great teams that don't win it all the time.

I'm not sure what you want Sully to do. He gets top talent and convinces them to come to UF and not go pro they then dominate all season and get to Omaha. I see no reason to think a different coach is going to do better. Sully is the best overall coach in college baseball right now even if he hasn't won one just like Martin was the best overall coach at points during his career.

I don't post here very often but college baseball is weird. The Gators were by far the best team in the nation this year but sometimes your best pitcher gets hit some and your bats go cold. The same way a crap team all year and come out of nowhere and win it.

It's incredible that FSU and UF have not won a championship despite both being very close based purely on numbers, especially FSU but there are great teams that don't win it all the time.

I'm not sure what you want Sully to do. He gets top talent and convinces them to come to UF and not go pro they then dominate all season and get to Omaha. I see no reason to think a different coach is going to do better. Sully is the best overall coach in college baseball right now even if he hasn't won one just like Martin was the best overall coach at points during his career.

Agree with this. Baseball's a crazy game. Even in MLB, the wild card teams win the world series as often as the top seeds. Sully puts us in the CWS with the best talent more years than he doesn't. I don't think you can ask for too much more. I'm sure there are things he can improve on as far as improving his teams' chances to win, but I would bet he's learning. He's been a head coach for 8 years. I don't think this is the best we will see from him.

Damn, a cogent post from a FSU fan.

??

Sully has made us care about baseball. Nine years ago I am going to bet that you, nor anyone that posts here, could name the weekend rotation for Florida baseball.
a lot of that has to do with, Capt Chaos, followed by No-champ, followed by a coach who believes in unilateral disarmament.

Every year after the draft they go to crap!!! Who cares right? The draftees are going to make millions in the major league. That's what I get out of this years thoughts.

This thread is funny. It's pretty like reading a Warchant baseball thread.

With college baseball you have to accept that the vast majority of the time you're going to have a great team all year and still inexplicably collapse against some random team whose ace just kills it one day. You just can't completely define success with championships in college baseball. If you do you're going to be miserable almost every year.

Every year after the draft they go to crap!!! Who cares right? The draftees are going to make millions in the major league. That's what I get out of this years thoughts.

Right. I'm sure competitors like Logan Shore, Dane Dunning, Peter Alonso and Buddy Reed just didn't GAF about going 2 and out after busting it for 3 years for UF. That's why Alonso was crying in the handshake line. Why did they come back post-draft against FSU in the supers?

Reactions: MJWilliamson
With college baseball you have to accept that the vast majority of the time you're going to have a great team all year and still inexplicably collapse against some random team whose ace just kills it one day. You just can't completely define success with championships in college baseball. If you do you're going to be miserable almost every year.

Sure you can, unless you're the Coach of No Rings. Only in trailerhassee can success not be defined in baseball.

The Gators are still fairly new to having success in baseball, if they continue on this pace their time will come. If they reach Coach of No Rings status then maybe 20 years from now they can say you can't define baseball success by championships.

GO canes!

Reactions: MJWilliamson
This thread is funny. It's pretty like reading a Warchant baseball thread.

You'll take some heat for this comment from some on here, but no denying that Mike Martin has built a top notch program and he built a clean program...

Built (past tense) being the operative term. Martin is there for two more years. One more if he wins more than 53 time next year. He is chasing the all time record and FSU seems to be content to let that happen.

FSU fans think they will be better next year than they have been for the last 4 years or so. And they might be.

Built (past tense) being the operative term. Martin is there for two more years. One more if he wins more than 53 time next year. He is chasing the all time record and FSU seems to be content to let that happen.

FSU fans think they will be better next year than they have been for the last 4 years or so. And they might be.
Late getting back to this but we'll be better talent wise next year. Whether that translates to more objective success in the post-season who knows.

I would add that winning 40+ games for 40 straight years is a way to say you're successful as a program. FSU still is very good as a program and successful just not as much as they were 10-20 years ago.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Yep, and they have just as many CWS-C Titles as they did 10-20 years ago... :cool:

Errrr yeah. It's the same number we have. Do we get to gloat because we haven't won as much in the regular season, regionals and supers? This is the same rationale as the people who bitch about Sully. Somehow it's almost a negative to win 40-50 games a year unless you can win the CWS.

Errrr yeah. It's the same number we have. Do we get to gloat because we haven't won as much in the regular season, regionals and supers? This is the same rationale as the people who bitch about Sully. Somehow it's almost a negative to win 40-50 games a year unless you can win the CWS.
Yep. Like I wrote before, Sully has made us care about baseball to the extent that he puts together teams that he and we expect to make it to the CWS. And when he does not win it all, we fans are bitterly disappointed.

I'll tell you what I see as the 'REAL' problem with Gator Baseball, and it ain't the head coach imoho.

It's a bad combination of poor hitting consistency by the team, exacerbated greatly by the incompetent or corrupt strike-ball calls by the plate umpires. :mad:

Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
2016 Florida Baseball Commits (13):

RHP/QB Feleipe Franks 6-6 215

RHP R-R Arrowhead 6-2 195

RHP Nick Long 6-2 195

RHP Austin Bodrato 62 200

RHP Kirby McMullen 6-0 195

RHP Billy McKay 6-1 200

RHP Cameron Weinberger 6-4 215

LHP Branden Ogle 6-2 170

LHP Andrew Baker 5-11 175

OF Keenan Bell 6-2 215