ADVERTISEMENT

College Baseball Thread

I would take another 15 years of Sully rolling talent like this through Gainesville and take my chances in Omaha. They have not played their best ball in the CWS, but a double elimination tournament in baseball is pretty much a crapshoot. They do have to replace some really good players, including the entire left side of their infield, but with the pitching they have and Reed, Guthrie, Schwarz, Alonso, Vasquez and Rivera hitting, this season is going to be a riot.

Reactions: ciatrickfason
t. They do have to replace some really good players, including the entire left side of their infield, but with the pitching they have and Reed, Guthrie, Schwarz, Alonso, Vasquez and Rivera hitting, this season is going to be a riot.

Yep. Happily, coaching defense is a Sully specialty. So even though Tobias and Martin moved on, I am cautiously optimistic that we will be competent defenders

Last edited:
We've had loaded teams before and fell short in the CWS. FSU is the ultimate failure at winning the big one in baseball, but the Gators aren't far behind. Coach O'Sullivan consistently brings in quality talent, handles his pitchers very well and puts an entertaining product on the field. If their pitching stays healthy and they find some home run/rbi power to support what should be another great defensive team and a high average team, maybe we can break through and win it all this year. Can't wait to watch them try!!

We've had loaded teams before and fell short in the CWS. FSU is the ultimate failure at winning the big one in baseball, but the Gators aren't far behind. Coach O'Sullivan consistently brings in quality talent, handles his pitchers very well and puts an entertaining product on the field. If their pitching stays healthy and they find some home run/rbi power to support what should be another great defensive team and a high average team, maybe we can break through and win it all this year. Can't wait to watch them try!!

If there's anything to be disputed it's how fast he pulls all our pitching if they give up a seeing eye single up by 5 runs.. He blew it in Omaha last year

we should have NEVER not been the team to win it all last year, that was inexcusable and then UVA won it all because they put out their best against us and won and we didn't as if we were even close to as bad off as they were all around.. We need some more offense consistently too..

Like I said, if we don't win it all this year... Then we have the baseball version of Calimari

We just took the first two from FGCU.

4-2 on Friday. Shore was the starting pitcher.

8-4 tonight. Puk was the starter.

FGCU will probably be a decent team

are we ever on tv even as the #1 team? Im sure the SEC Network will dick ride Vandy or LSU. They did like a 10 minute thing on Vandy for being a massively overrated #3 team and NOTHING on us.

Baseball is not on SEC TV right now, as basketball seems to take precedence. We are streaming on SEC TV+

logo_handler.ashx

Sun, Feb 21
1PM

Florida Gulf Coast

Gainesville, FL
GAME PREVIEW
TV: SEC Network+
Radio: ESPN Gainesville
Pregame Notes

FEBRUARY
19 FGCU (SEC+) 7 p.m.
20 FGCU (SEC+) 4 p.m.
21 FGCU (SEC+) 1 p.m.
23 EASTERN MICHIGAN 7 p.m.
24 vs. E. Michigan (Lakeland) 7 p.m.
26 @Miami (FL) (ESPN3) 7 p.m.
27 @Miami (FL) (ESPN3) 7 p.m.
28 @Miami (FL) (ESPN3) 1 p.m

are we ever on tv even as the #1 team? Im sure the SEC Network will dick ride Vandy or LSU. They did like a 10 minute thing on Vandy for being a massively overrated #3 team and NOTHING on us.
Good question. As to Vandy, I too am surprised at their ranking. They lost their 2 best pitchers along with the #1 pick at SS.

Unless you are connected to WatchESPN so you can get the SEC+ Network, TV coverage for Gator baseball & softball is not as good as it was when they used to show games on SunSports Florida and Fox Sports Florida. My 84 year old Mom doesn't even have a computer, let alone a Smart TV, and she's been a huge Gator baseball fan for 40 years. But she's losing interest because of the fewer games she can see now compared to a few years ago. And most of the time the radio broadcasts don't carry a strong enough signal to be picked up west of High Springs, just 20 miles from Gainesville. I'm thoroughly enjoying the games via SEC+, but for some people not so much. And yes, they are off to a solid start. Should be a fun season.

Our pitching is very deep. We have guys that won't even get into the weekend rotation that can throw 90+.

Well if any of them throw 2 balls in a row in an important game Sully will try them all. If we don't win it all this year there's simply no way it will ever happen. Last year was flat out inexcusable, and even funnier that UVA won it all.

The Mighty gators start the season at #1.

This could be a special team.

If Sully does not get them too wound up.

Looking forward to a great series this weekend...this should be a great test for the Canes going up against the number 1 team.

We aren't as deep as the UF, but hope we can make a good showing.

tumblr_mzg1ynul7E1s36aafo1_500.gif

GO Canes!

Sully is a great coach UNTIL the CWS series starts. He's starting to remind me of Mike Martin a bit. Maybe he can figure it out soon or get lucky.

Sully is a great coach UNTIL the CWS series starts. He's starting to remind me of Mike Martin a bit. Maybe he can figure it out soon or get lucky.
Nobody chokes more than Martin, man get's all the talent in the world and fails time after time.

GO Canes!

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Teams are going to need to change the way they play when they get to the CWS. College Baseball has tried to take the velocity out of the bat, then went and built an absolutely huge stadium in Omaha.

You used to win in Omaha by out hitting your opponent. Now you have to manufacture runs. This is why you have seen the teams like UVA and UCLA win titles lately.

Oh Nos. We might suck in baseball too. Bottom of the 9th and losing, LOSING, to EMU 7-6.

Pull it out your ass, Gators

Tie game. Maldonado ripped a double to score the guy on second.

Bases full of Gators with one out. Reed at bat. Schwarz on deck.

Listened to the end of the game on the radio...bizarre ending to say the least, but Gators came from 4 runs down in last 2 innings to secure the victory

Shore pitched. Natch. Complete game shutout. Allowed 4 hits, no base on balls and 8 strikeouts.

Just your normal dominate performance.

Top of the order provided 6 of the 8 hits. The freshman Liput came through with 1 hit and 2 rbis. He keeps this up and Sully might have to move him up in the batting order. Schwarz and Vasquez each had 1 rbi and Alonso had 2 rbi. Florida had 2 runs in the first, 2 in the fourth and one in the sixth.

Just an overall dominating performance

Add one more game to all these stats, as they were pre tonight. Oh and f Miami

Miami holds a 127-115-1 (.525) advantage in the all-time series and the Hurricanes lead the Gators by a 78-42 (.650) margin in Coral Gables.

Head coach Kevin O’Sullivan has a 22-10 (.688) record against Miami, 13-5 (.722) in Gainesville, 7-5 (.583) in Coral Gables and 2-0 (1.000) at neutral sites - both at the 2015 NCAA College World Series.

The Gators have taken 21 of the past 26 meetings and their 11- game winning streak in the series from March 7, 2010-March 1, 2013, is a school record.

That Freshman is hitting lights out right now. Didn't have to use any bullpen, so they should be fresh for tomorrow. Did Canes throw their ace or is he going a different day?

Thomas Woodrey started for them. He is a senior and started the Friday night games for them for nearly the entire season last year. He was apparently not good enough to be a high draft choice last year, so he came back for his senior season. He has decent college stats, from what I can see.

He went 5 innings tonight before the Mighty gators chased him off the mound. He gave up 7 of the 8 hits and all 5 earned runs.

Not sure who Miami will start Saturday. I expect Sully to stay with Puk. Miami could start Sosa. He was the Sunday pitcher last year, but I think Miami lost their Saturday pitcher from last year.

The Gators (6-0) have now downed the Hurricanes in 22 of their last 27 meetings, including twice to eliminate them in the College World Series last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT