ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

our depth up front is truly impressive. I like our perimeter players but we have not shot well or been smart with the ball at all. Golden seems like he has them playing the style he wants.

I think we have the talent to be a sweet 16 team or better, but if we don’t improve our shooting (free throws included) and stop throwing the ball all over the place we’ll be fighting for .500 in the SEC and be on the bubble once again.
We agree on those points. All of Us and All of Them already know this. Everyone knows that they have things to work on, and they are working to get better. We'll have to wait till the Dance to see if they are 'team' talented enough, and have worked enough, to come away with a nice dance finish....

#157 in field goal %
#160 in assist to turnover ratio
#238 in 3-point shooting

#310 in free throw %
😣

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Kugel still missing everything. Needed this win bad against a very average Michigan team. A loss might have cost us a tournament bid at the end. Offensive rebounding saved us.

Reactions: instaGATOR
What a game to watch! Pullin came through big time, Condon was great. The team battled through a lot of adversity and pulled out the win. Free throw shooting and a big deficit from the 3-point arc were a problem, but man what effort!

Here's what I like,,,
-8-3 with 6 games against power 5 teams and 1 against a tough Richmond team. So we've played a decent OOC schedule.
-Rebounding- we are outrebounding opponents by double digits. 12 tonight.
- Scoring- We are ranked in the top 50 with nearly 83 per game. (would be much higher if we could hit free throws.
-Bench depth- our bench outscored Michigan's 43-3. On any given night we have 7 different players that could lead us in scoring. We are as deep as I can remember in a decade.

Here is what will kill us:
-Free Throws. Good lord. I think we are almost last in the entire country. It is crazy we are scoring almost 83 with all the missed free chances. This will stop any type of deep run
-Turnover- we like to play fast and fancy. Which means we get very careless at times. We have to reduce these. Not to bad tonight.
-3 point shooting. We right now just stink. Again, it lends itself to how in the heck are we scoring so much. I'm not as worried about this as I am free throws.

We have a couple of games we should win which will put us in much better shape heading into conference play. We don't have any bad losses, but our best wins aren't overly impressive (PITT, FSU, MICH, Richmond). 10-8 conf should put us in the tournament. Anything short of that we are bubble...

Reactions: Gator Fever
Here's what I like,,,
-8-3 with 6 games against power 5 teams and 1 against a tough Richmond team. So we've played a decent OOC schedule.
-Rebounding- we are outrebounding opponents by double digits. 12 tonight.
- Scoring- We are ranked in the top 50 with nearly 83 per game. (would be much higher if we could hit free throws.
-Bench depth- our bench outscored Michigan's 43-3. On any given night we have 7 different players that could lead us in scoring. We are as deep as I can remember in a decade.

Here is what will kill us:
-Free Throws. Good lord. I think we are almost last in the entire country. It is crazy we are scoring almost 83 with all the missed free chances. This will stop any type of deep run
-Turnover- we like to play fast and fancy. Which means we get very careless at times. We have to reduce these. Not to bad tonight.
-3 point shooting. We right now just stink. Again, it lends itself to how in the heck are we scoring so much. I'm not as worried about this as I am free throws.

We have a couple of games we should win which will put us in much better shape heading into conference play. We don't have any bad losses, but our best wins aren't overly impressive (PITT, FSU, MICH, Richmond). 10-8 conf should put us in the tournament. Anything short of that we are bubble...
Does it seem like ever team we face loses there mind and bombs us from behind the arc. Michigan hit a couple of 25 footers in the last 15 seconds and put me on the edge.

Does it seem like ever team we face loses there mind and bombs us from behind the arc. Michigan hit a couple of 25 footers in the last 15 seconds and put me on the edge.
In my humble opinion, that comes from lack of playing time together. We get lost on defense, we try and work through screens vs switching, and we never play zone. I am still confused as why we don't press more. I love the minutes Aberdeen gave us last night. Kid can't shoot and he's not much of a scoring threat, but I love the defensive energy he brings. Need to see a little bit more of him.

Not enough playing timer for Aberfderen is the problem for him presently imo, because he can never get a good shooting rhythm going...

He can shoot, proven by the fact that in his Sr HS FL State 7A Championship game, he scored 27 Pts as the PG, and that was with Riley Kugel as the SG.....

From his Gator Bio, Prep info:
  • Twice named Florida Association of Basketball Coaches (FABC) all-state, earning first team in 2021 and second team in 2022.
  • Scored 27 points in the 2021 7A state championship game, leading Dr. Phillips to its first state championship in program history.
  • Helped Dr. Phillips return to the state championship game again in 2022.
  • Averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists his senior season.
  • Also played football growing up.

In my humble opinion, that comes from lack of playing time together. We get lost on defense, we try and work through screens vs switching, and we never play zone. I am still confused as why we don't press more. I love the minutes Aberdeen gave us last night. Kid can't shoot and he's not much of a scoring threat, but I love the defensive energy he brings. Need to see a little bit more of him
Not enough playing timer for Aberfderen is the problem for him presently imo, because he can never get a good shooting rhythm going...

He can shoot, proven by the fact that in his Sr HS FL State 7A Championship game, he scored 27 Pts as the PG, and that was with Riley Kugel as the SG.....

From his Gator Bio, Prep info:
  • Twice named Florida Association of Basketball Coaches (FABC) all-state, earning first team in 2021 and second team in 2022.
  • Scored 27 points in the 2021 7A state championship game, leading Dr. Phillips to its first state championship in program history.
  • Helped Dr. Phillips return to the state championship game again in 2022.
  • Averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists his senior season.
  • Also played football growing up.
High school doesn't always translate to college level. All these guys had impressive high school stats. Right now he's shooting 55% from the free throw line, 30% overall and 15% from three. Watched enough of him to very clearly see he's not a scoring threat. But that's ok. We have many others that are way better shooters and can score. But we have struggled defensively and I love the spark he gives us on that end. Plus in my humble opinion we should press more, and he can give us great depth. He needs more minutes not for scoring, but his defense and energy. Not a ton, because the others are clearly better, but at least 10-12 minutes.

Reactions: gatordad3
Mike nor Todd can recruit and then coach up quality HS players....

Thank Gawd for the xfer portal, where you can get players that someone else has already coached up for you..... (apparently it's much the same for Billy)
The portal drawback in that freakin' portal works in both directions....
🙄

Thank Gawd for the xfer portal, where you can get players that someone else has already coached up for you..... (apparently it's much the same for Billy)
🙄
Mike White actually recruited well. Kowacie Reeves would still be on the team had he not cut his once awesome hairdo. Just like Sampson, Reeves production declined. Also take a look at Kugel. He also should not have cut his hair.
Every annoncer couldn't get enough of Kowacie and his hair.

Mike White actually recruited well. Kowacie Reeves would still be on the team had he not cut his once awesome hairdo. Just like Sampson, Reeves production declined. Also take a look at Kugel. He also should not have cut his hair.
Every annoncer couldn't get enough of Kowacie and his hair.
Just an FYI - Reeves is the 2nd leading scorer for Georgia Tech, averaging 12.8 ppg, plus 2nd in minutes played. He's shooting .469 from the field & .378 shooting 3's. Shoots 89.3% from the foul line, averages 4.9 rebounds per game, 10 blocks, 5 steals, 8 assists, 13 turnovers. Tech is 6-3 so far.

• Wow
Reactions: gatordad3

🙄
Hmm, last years title game featured 4 of 10 transfer starters. I guess they can't coach up high school talent either? Baylor won the title with 5 transfer starters..he sucks too. Nope, if you want to win you need transfers. Not a matter of can you recruit and coach up HS talent...that is just plain ignorant.

• Haha
Hmm, last years title game featured 4 of 10 transfer starters. I guess they can't coach up high school talent either? Baylor won the title with 5 transfer starters..he sucks too. Nope, if you want to win you need transfers. Not a matter of can you recruit and coach up HS talent...that is just plain ignorant.
Working the portal is now just as important as recruiting high school kids.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Absolutely, and that goes double if you can't recruit top quality HS recruits, and then coach them up,,, and then keep them from bailing out in the portal.... 🙄

Didn't watch the game due to family commitments, but the most impressive stat to me was 27 assists to only 10 turnovers, plus the high shooting percentages everywhere.

UF 96 - 56 Gramblin St. They are NOT kensucky, but it's still a win.

Will Richard equaled his career high of five 3-pointers on his way to 17 Pts.

Zyon Pullin, who got 14 Pts (on 4-for-5 shooting), 5 Rbs and 6 Asts, 0 TO's over 25 minutes.

Tyrese Samuel posted his 5th (2nd straight) double-double with 15 Pts and 10 Rbs.

Thomas Haugh, 13 Pts, FG 6/8, FT 1/1, 2 Rbs

Denzel Aberdeen, 11 Pts, FG 5/8, 3's 1/1 - 5 Asts, 1 TO, 1 Rb, 1 Blk

Team's Game Stats:

FG - 38/61 - 62.3%
3's - 11/21 - 52.4%
FT - 9/10 - 90%
Rbs 41 - PF 10 - Ast 27 - TO's 10, Blk 4, Stl 4

Florida had 7 players score at least 8 points and 4 with at least 5 rebounds.
The Gators posted a season-high 27 assists to just 10 turnovers.
More reasons to play the entire bench when possible:
The bench players had 16 points with just two turnovers.

9-3 Quinnipiac coming to the Dome next Sat. at 1 PM
Then Kensucky the following Sat. at 12:30 PM to open the SEC Schedule.

Anyone know why Kugel didn't play?
A Bruised Foot was the claim.....

The 'TEAM' played better without him IMO.
Kid looks like he's in need of some kind of an 'Attitude' adjustment.

Has he acquired a bitchy girlfriend since last season????

The jump in ranking is more likely related to the current win streak than it is to the G-St win.
JMOHO of course...

Sophomore CG Denzel Aberdeen got most of Kugel's minutes and responded with a solid floor game of 11 points (on 5-for-8 shooting), five assists and just one turnover in a career-high 24 minutes.

"My teammates and coaches always say be ready when your name is called, no matter how many minutes you get or what you're position is," said Aberdeen, who won a state championship alongside Kugel during their prep days at Orlando Dr. Phillips High. "Riley being out gave me a chance to show what I can do. My teammates put me in the right positions to score."

Sophomore CG Denzel Aberdeen got most of Kugel's minutes and responded with a solid floor game of 11 points (on 5-for-8 shooting), five assists and just one turnover in a career-high 24 minutes.

"My teammates and coaches always say be ready when your name is called, no matter how many minutes you get or what you're position is," said Aberdeen, who won a state championship alongside Kugel during their prep days at Orlando Dr. Phillips High. "Riley being out gave me a chance to show what I can do. My teammates put me in the right positions to score."

Good to see Aberdeen put in a solid performance, even if it was Grambling. I like his energy.

I hope we prove to be better but 10-8 in SEC play probably gets us in the tourney with a few nice wins in there. We didn't hurt ourselves in pre-conference play but we didn't really help ourselves a lot either. One more good win would have helped quite a bit.

Reactions: ocalaman
Holiday Eggnog,,, and going off the wall during the break, just for some speculations and fun....

Does anyone else remember when BillyD pulled all 5 starters at the same time in a gsme?
They weren't doing or playing the way he wanted them to, so he called a time-out and put in 5 2nd teamers together so he could spend some time talking to all 5 starters together.

The surprise was that the 2nd teamers went on a run and played better than the starters were playing.

This fired up the starter and opened up their ears to what the coach had been telling them to do.
I thought it was a great move and that it could be used more often, and with good results.

How the iG would set it up,,, and I'm believing that it would blow the other teams coaches away if it was used.
Not all the time maybe, but to begin a game or to break up another teams run....

I can see these groups playing together really well.
I can see this working for the team, this year and for preparing the team for next year.
Well, here are my two groups. What do you thing of both the idea, and of the groupings....

Blue Group:
PG Walter Clayton Jr 6-3 195 Jr
SG Zyon Pullin 6-4 206 Grad-Sr
SF Julian Rishwain 6-5 200 Grad-Sr
PF Tyrese Samuel 6-10 239 Grad Sr
C Micah Handlogten 7-1 235 So

Orange Group:
PG Denzel Aberdeen 6-5 190 So
SG Riley Kugel 6-5 207 So
SF Will Richard 6-4 206 Jr
PF Thomas Haugh 6-9 210 Fr
C Alex Condon 6-11 230 Fr

Backups for both groups:
CG Bennett Anderson 6-2 190 Sr
CG Kajus Kublickas 6-2 171 Fr
SG Alex Klatsky 6-4 206 rsSr
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsJr
SG/SF Cooper Josefsberg 6-4 195 Fr
PF/C Aleks Szymczyk 6-10 250 So (when back from foot injury)

==========
(without knowing who will still be on the roster)
==========

The beginnings of the 2024-25 Blue Group:
PG Walter Clayton Jr 6-3 195 Sr (Zel if Walter leaves)
SG Riley Kugel 6-4 206 Jr
PF/C Aleks Szymczyk 6-10 250 Jr
C Micah Handlogten 7-1 235 Jr

The Beginnings of the 2024-25 Orange Group:
PG Denzel Aberdeen 6-5 190 Jr
SG Isaiah Brown -5 185 Fr
SF Cooper Josefsberg 6-4 195 So
PF Thomas Haugh 6-9 210 So
C/PF Alex Condon 6-11 230 So

Extras for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsSr
CG Kajus Kublickas 6-2 171 rsFr
C Olivier Bioux 7-6 300 Fr

Holiday Eggnog,,, and going off the wall during the break, just for some speculations and fun....

Does anyone else remember when BillyD pulled all 5 starters at the same time in a gsme?
They weren't doing or playing the way he wanted them to, so he called a time-out and put in 5 2nd teamers together so he could spend some time talking to all 5 starters together.

The surprise was that the 2nd teamers went on a run and played better than the starters were playing.

This fired up the starter and opened up their ears to what the coach had been telling them to do.
I thought it was a great move and that it could be used more often, and with good results.

How the iG would set it up,,, and I'm believing that it would blow the other teams coaches away if it was used.
Not all the time maybe, but to begin a game or to break up another teams run....

I can see this working for the team, this year and for preparing the team for next year.
Well, here are my two groups. What do you thing of both the idea, and of the groupings....

Blue Group:

Orange Group:

Backups for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsJr

==========
==========

Extras for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsSr
Im sure the other teams’ coaches are united in saying a prayer that this plan never sees the light of day. It’s probably the best plan I’ve heard since D Day and maybe better.

Blue Group:

Orange Group:

Backups for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsJr

==========
==========

Extras for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsSr
I do remember that incident and it did as it was designed to do. It got the message to the starters.

Blue Group:

Orange Group:

Backups for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsJr

==========
==========

Extras for both groups:
PG Jack May 6-4 195 rsSr
As you have pointed out, Billy was no Mike White, but he was a pretty decent coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT