ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Loser of the Early Signing Period?

MJ has lost so much interest in college football(his words) that he watches the SOW's pressers. LMAO.

MJ has lost so much interest in college football(his words) that he watches the SOW's pressers. LMAO.
You semi fans seem to have trouble with the king's English as well as reason and logic

Even after being critical of Fisher, we still think Jimbo is a better coach than Taggart. Nole fans: CONTRADICTION!

At one time we say we are less interested in college football than we used to be. But yet watched an introductory coaches press conference of a rival. Nole fans: the two things cannot be true at the same time!

But I am wrong about something. Every time I think Nole fans have reached their nadir of stupidity, METSWIN, hardliner, et.al. come by and prove me wrong.

With seven signees with an avg star rating of 4.0 Willie has done a great job. Us even getting a visit from Emory Jones was a helluva job.

Jimbo and his staff stopped recruiting and calling kids the last 5-6 weeks before he resigned. Willie’s done about as good a job as I had hoped after Jimbo quit on the team half way through the season.

With seven signees with an avg star rating of 4.0 Willie has done a great job. Us even getting a visit from Emory Jones was a helluva job.

Jimbo and his staff stopped recruiting and calling kids the last 5-6 weeks before he resigned. Willie’s done about as good a job as I had hoped after Jimbo quit on the team half way through the season.
We'll see how Willie does but I think you guys got a real down grade at the head coaching position. Time will tell.

You are right with only time will tell. The same goes with both of our programs. But maybe it’s a downgrade from Jimbo a few years ago, but Jimbo became a different coach. For whatever reason, whether it was his wife cheating on him, relationship with FSU admin souring or all of the above, he has not been the same coach. FSU has been sliding downhill ever since Winston left and this year was just horrific. Not just the W and L but the whole team chemistry. Kind of reminded how Urban got after Tebow left UF. Just did not seem like the heart was in it and it showed on the field.

The one thing WT is bringing is excitement to the program. The players are excited and honestly seems like most of FSU is as well. I am excited to see what WT can bring to FSU with a more modern offense to get the ball in the play makers hands. He could end up being better then Jimbo or he could end up busting. But honestly, WT bust would probably look like recruiting well and having 4 loss seasons. I can live with that for a few years, so it would not be the end of the world if he is a bust.

You are right with only time will tell. The same goes with both of our programs. But maybe it’s a downgrade from Jimbo a few years ago, but Jimbo became a different coach. For whatever reason, whether it was his wife cheating on him, relationship with FSU admin souring or all of the above, he has not been the same coach. FSU has been sliding downhill ever since Winston left and this year was just horrific. Not just the W and L but the whole team chemistry. Kind of reminded how Urban got after Tebow left UF. Just did not seem like the heart was in it and it showed on the field.

The one thing WT is bringing is excitement to the program. The players are excited and honestly seems like most of FSU is as well. I am excited to see what WT can bring to FSU with a more modern offense to get the ball in the play makers hands. He could end up being better then Jimbo or he could end up busting. But honestly, WT bust would probably look like recruiting well and having 4 loss seasons. I can live with that for a few years, so it would not be the end of the world if he is a bust.
I know that a lot of people raise cane about Jimbo but the guy had 1 hell of a run at FSU...besides this season FSU has been one of the best programs in the country the past 5-6 years. It's going to be tough to beat that but maybe WT is the guy.

Not necessarily. Taggart said today that FSU is only going to sign 16-18 players in this class. Signing under 20 players absolutely kills your Rivals ranking. See Clemson last year. Their class was #22 despite being 4th in average star ranking. That's why FSU's #51 ranking is completely meaningless (3rd in average star ranking). Quantity is a big factor in these rankings when you have <20 players.
Call me curious but I am trying to figure out why the premier recruiter in the land does not plan to sign the full amount of total scholarships. I understand the quality point, but why not sign 2-4 more quality athletes?

Call me curious but I am trying to figure out why the premier recruiter in the land does not plan to sign the full amount of total scholarships. I understand the quality point, but why not sign 2-4 more quality athletes?

FSU only has 11 seniors.

My bad then. I thought that you were intimating that FSU was only going to fill 16-18 of 20 available scholarships.

With Wilkerson and Izzo unexpectedly going pro and Mavin Saunders transferring that 16-18 is starting to look like 19-21.

I know that a lot of people raise cane about Jimbo but the guy had 1 hell of a run at FSU...besides this season FSU has been one of the best programs in the country the past 5-6 years. It's going to be tough to beat that but maybe WT is the guy.

Only the butt hurt ones who feel scorned. Jimbo and the boosters had different visions/expectations for the evolution of FSU football. The AD was M.I.A. and Thrasher did his best to hold things together. During the time Jimbo was the HC at FSU he was in the top three for coaching record, one of only two programs(Bama) to have consistent top ten recruiting classes, won three conference titles, a natty, etc, etc.

WT is a relative unknown who was targeted from the beginning by the A.D. He stated he wanted a minority hire and knew who he wanted. Unfortunately, the staff many thought he would be bringing to FSU did not follow. Especially at DC, WR and OC. He has brought in a lot of recruiting talent at the position coach level, but, again, lots of unknowns. Even some of his recruiting decisions have been a bit puzzling.

I truly do not know what to expect over the next few seasons, but I just hope this staff can game plan effectively and develop the talent. UO got blown out way too many times for my liking this past season and now we have their head coach. I will give the hire a C and probably the same for the staff.

Jimbo was certainly having a transition year with DF blowing out his knee in the first game. Other than the BC game the other losses came down to one score. Another score or two on the board could have made the difference in the UL, Miami, etc games.

Yeah, we will see if WT can duplicate, or surpass Jimbo's success. I would be pleasantly surprised if WT will out coach/game plan against guys like Richt, Swinney, Petrino, Kelly, etc on a consistent basis. I would have felt a lot better about the hire if the AD (hopefully with Thrashers input) would have actually done a legit national search and interviewed other candidates such as Fuente, James Franklin, etc.

Heck, at least UF took some home run swings and missed before getting their number 3 or 4 choice. I actually think Mullen is a pretty good hire that should at least get UF back into "I have an offense" club.

giphy.gif
Pot, meet the kettle. Now no name calling please.

With the way that recruiting has been going, it looks like Georgia will be Florida's/Mullen's toughest competition on their schedule for years to come.

Under Kirby Smart, the Bulldogs are in the college football play-offs for the national title (their 1st time since 1982), won the 2017 SEC title (1st time that an SEC-East team had won it since Florida did it in 2008), and are again tearing it up in the recruiting rankings. UGA is #1 with six 5*'s, jeesh!

As for Mullen, he should immediately improve Florida's offense than what the two previous UF coaches had done. Especially after landing a great duel-threat QB like Emory Jones.

Finally, if Mullen can compete at Misissippi St, in the SEC-W, think about how he will do with the resources that he will have at UF! Also, as the OC at Florida under Urban Meyer (2006-2008), Mullen had a lot of success offensively with the Gators!
Mullen has to find a QB if the 2018 UF offense is going to be greatly improved. Emory Jones is a bean pole. he might end up being a 1st round NFL pick but I can't imagine him withstanding the 2018 season playing full time, the way Mullen runs his QBs. The backups are poor fits or are horrifically bad. Not really a lot of great options right now.

Only the butt hurt ones who feel scorned. Jimbo and the boosters had different visions/expectations for the evolution of FSU football. The AD was M.I.A. and Thrasher did his best to hold things together. During the time Jimbo was the HC at FSU he was in the top three for coaching record, one of only two programs(Bama) to have consistent top ten recruiting classes, won three conference titles, a natty, etc, etc.

WT is a relative unknown who was targeted from the beginning by the A.D. He stated he wanted a minority hire and knew who he wanted. Unfortunately, the staff many thought he would be bringing to FSU did not follow. Especially at DC, WR and OC. He has brought in a lot of recruiting talent at the position coach level, but, again, lots of unknowns. Even some of his recruiting decisions have been a bit puzzling.

I truly do not know what to expect over the next few seasons, but I just hope this staff can game plan effectively and develop the talent. UO got blown out way too many times for my liking this past season and now we have their head coach. I will give the hire a C and probably the same for the staff.

Jimbo was certainly having a transition year with DF blowing out his knee in the first game. Other than the BC game the other losses came down to one score. Another score or two on the board could have made the difference in the UL, Miami, etc games.

Yeah, we will see if WT can duplicate, or surpass Jimbo's success. I would be pleasantly surprised if WT will out coach/game plan against guys like Richt, Swinney, Petrino, Kelly, etc on a consistent basis. I would have felt a lot better about the hire if the AD (hopefully with Thrashers input) would have actually done a legit national search and interviewed other candidates such as Fuente, James Franklin, etc.

Heck, at least UF took some home run swings and missed before getting their number 3 or 4 choice. I actually think Mullen is a pretty good hire that should at least get UF back into "I have an offense" club.
My sentiments exactly. except my grade on the curve is slightly higher...B-. Reason for optimism, but acutely aware of the potential downside.

People were whistling past the graveyard with Taggert. He's improved recruiting everywhere he's been and likely would have had a top 5 ish class this year at Oregon if he didn't leave. At a minimum he'll keep recruiting for FSU where it has been.

Taggert is doing well. Will finish with a Composite class of 11-14. We should finish a few spots behind but have two top transfers coming in. His class has more star power, ours is much more balanced. Pretty much a wash for the year.

Problem is we are starting so far behind, but I do believe we have a much better on-field coach.

And Willie is the last of my worries, UGA just landed eight 5* kids in one class

Taggert is doing well. Will finish with a Composite class of 11-14. We should finish a few spots behind but have two top transfers coming in. His class has more star power, ours is much more balanced. Pretty much a wash for the year.

Problem is we are starting so far behind, but I do believe we have a much better on-field coach.

And Willie is the last of my worries, UGA just landed eight 5* kids in one class
I agree with you UGA is the one to worry about. If they have another excellent year on the field in '18, they are going to kick tail on the recruiting trail again. However, I disagree about our class being more balanced than F$U. The only position they didn't sign was at QB, but it was not a high priority with 3 very good or highly rated QBs already there. It was 1 of 2 positions (RB the other) they didn't need to worry about this year. Otherwise, they did extremely well in terms of talent and meeting needs.

And as far as on field coaching goes, I am not impressed with Mullen or Taggart based on what I have seen of both in their careers. But, with better talent at their disposal, who knows. Mullen went with a staff that he knew well and was comfortable with for better or worst. Taggert handpicked a staff from around the country that are known as great recruiters and in some cases elite coaches (Barnett/Haggins/Frey) and others that are somewhat unknowns. It is hard to say, but they easily won the recruiting battle. We'll have to wait to see until Fall to see the coaching of each staff.

I agree with you UGA is the one to worry about. If they have another excellent year on the field in '18, they are going to kick tail on the recruiting trail again. However, I disagree about our class being more balanced than F$U. The only position they didn't sign was at QB, but it was not a high priority with 3 very good or highly rated QBs already there. It was 1 of 2 positions (RB the other) they didn't need to worry about this year. Otherwise, they did extremely well in terms of talent and meeting needs.

And as far as on field coaching goes, I am not impressed with Mullen or Taggart based on what I have seen of both in their careers. But, with better talent at their disposal, who knows. Mullen went with a staff that he knew well and was comfortable with for better or worst. Taggert handpicked a staff from around the country that are known as great recruiters and in some cases elite coaches (Barnett/Haggins/Frey) and others that are somewhat unknowns. It is hard to say, but they easily won the recruiting battle. We'll have to wait to see until Fall to see the coaching of each staff.

Dude, no offense but you have 4 posts, its obvious you are a troll and you are trying to rehash everything we have discussed for months. GTFO

LOL I bet he thought he was getting over on someone. Signed up today, 4 posts, but he's a UF fan. Seems legit.

Reactions: PacoGator19
LOL I bet he thought he was getting over on someone. Signed up today, 4 posts, but he's a UF fan. Seems legit.
I've been reading through the threads and I agree with most of what you (oozie7) post, if not all. It's just that I am a realist and posted my opinion, supported with facts. Yet, I agree with oozie7's posts and I apparently am trying to get something over on someone. You actually seem knowledgeable and fair minded (until now). I didn't realize I needed to bring my UF credentials to a message board. Is there another board where the adults reside?

I've been reading through the threads and I agree with most of what you (oozie7) post, if not all. It's just that I am a realist and posted my opinion, supported with facts. Yet, I agree with oozie7's posts and I apparently am trying to get something over on someone. You actually seem knowledgeable and fair minded (until now). I didn't realize I needed to bring my UF credentials to a message board. Is there another board where the adults reside?

Bullshit. Not ONE Gators fan has labeled Barnett as a great hire at DC. That was the biggest of the red flags

Michi, Michi, Michi. Worry about Georgia. Don’t let this guy get you worked up.

Bullshit. Not ONE Gators fan has labeled Barnett as a great hire at DC. That was the biggest of the red flags
I am only basing on what I have read and heard. Granted that was from those who write/talk about sports professionally, including comments from his peers and not opinions of fans. But, again I am a realist and form opinion based on the facts, not the team I root for throughout the year.
With that said, hats off to Coach and his staff. That was an incredible close and after how the day started off, I lost my faith. But, that is a product of the last 2 head ball coaches we've had.

ADVERTISEMENT