ADVERTISEMENT

Batteries cost more than the car

Poor MDFer

01HY1RBAV4SPR7G8XQ9ABF43EF.jpeg

I am unsure why we even respond to maryland - he has already admitted he does not vote so doesn't his lib comments and know it all attitude just make him a troll

• Haha
Reactions: Mdfgator
It makes more sense for a boat to be electric than a car.

A boat that's out of gas or with a dead battery is still a boat, you can paddle that bitch home if you need to. A sailboat with an electric motor and a solar panel would weigh significantly less than one with a diesel motor and fuel cell. Especially the larger coastal and open ocean boats. And people who own large pleasure craft won't blink at replacing a 13k battery every ten years.
Hold your beer...UNTIL you introduce salt water into the equation!

• Haha
I am unsure why we even respond to maryland - he has already admitted he does not vote so doesn't his lib comments and know it all attitude just make him a troll
you think you know what youre talking about nickel??? show me something somwhat smart...

Hold your beer...UNTIL you introduce salt water into the equation!
Salt water isn't going to affect the batteries any more than they do now, especially sealed lithium. Then again rich idiots probably don't their maintenance correctly unless they have hired crew.

• Haha
Salt water isn't going to affect the batteries any more than they do now, especially sealed lithium. Then again rich idiots probably don't their maintenance correctly unless they have hired crew.
Not true...connections get compromised which affect charging. Secondly salt introduces electrolysis and could/would effect the life of the battery. We will not see EV boats in my lifetime in any numbers. Also having that much electricity flowing around water, which conducts electricity itself is NOT a safe idea. Imagine as a boat fills with water during an emergency, and the Captain and crew are trying their best to stay afloat...and the water rises to the point of contacting the output connections. I would imagine the power it takes to move a big boat would instantly fry anyone in its reach.

Not true...connections get compromised which affect charging. Secondly salt introduces electrolysis and could/would effect the life of the battery. We will not see EV boats in my lifetime in any numbers. Also having that much electricity flowing around water, which conducts electricity itself is NOT a safe idea. Imagine as a boat fills with water during an emergency, and the Captain and crew are trying their best to stay afloat...and the water rises to the point of contacting the output connections. I would imagine the power it takes to move a big boat would instantly fry anyone in its reach

Not seeing how electricity generated by steam or nuclear power is radically different from this.

Hell the back of a amphibious carrier sinks a good 15 feet in the water to recover vehicles, you think there's no electricity in the well deck?

But think bigger. Most warships and freighters are designed with watertight integrity in mind. It wouldn't make much sense to be able to seal a compartment from fire or flooding if the crews going to get electrocuted.

let's finish the argument though. You're familiar with under water welding? Sure if you get a puncture in the sleeve you flash boil in less than a second, but you know how rare that is?

I think the biggest problem would be weight. Ever since they invented solder seal connectors even corroded connectors aren't a problem.

Second biggest problem would be bilge pumps, but the emergency bilges run on batteries now.

Hell I bet if you and me put our heads together we could knock out a prototype design in a week, less if we aren't drinking.

Last edited:
Thieves are targeting Tesla charging stations for copper in Kalifornia, causing $1 billion in losses.

Not seeing how electricity generated by steam or nuclear power is radically different from this.

Hell the back of a amphibious carrier sinks a good 15 feet in the water to recover vehicles, you think there's no electricity in the well deck?

But think bigger. Most warships and freighters are designed with watertight integrity in mind. It wouldn't make much sense to be able to seal a compartment from fire or flooding if the crews going to get electrocuted.

let's finish the argument though. You're familiar with under water welding? Sure if you get a puncture in the sleeve you flash boil in less than a second, but you know how rare that is?

I think the biggest problem would be weight. Ever since they invented solder seal connectors even corroded connectors aren't a problem.

Second biggest problem would be bilge pumps, but the emergency bilges run on batteries now.

Hell I bet if you and me put our heads together we could knock out a prototype design in a week, less if we aren't drinking.
One thing for sure...I will NEVER have to worry about it. They are way away on cars still. Where you gonna charge a boat? And Diesel electric is WAY, WAY different than having a battery pack capable of powering a large boat or ship. You may as well go play in the power lines.

Those are hybrids...not battery powered

Reactions: BCSpell
battaries lose about 1% of their power per year. variables are how you charge to what limit do you charge and do you drain battary down to low regularly.. the car is virtually maintenance free. i expect this to improve over time, my car is 7 years old already so i am giving you that perspective.

I know you are messing with me...but 4 8d batteries(which were the batteries in that boat) are NOTHING compared to what an EV has in it. Amps kill...not volts.
I'd have to look up the amperage but you do understand how much power four frequency hopping radios draw? Thats not the point. A car battery has enough amperage to kill you and so does a cathode ray TV tube. The question is can they be insulated enough to prevent discharge.

I'd be willing to bet it can. See my underwater welder example. Which is an arc hot enough to burn metal underwater. 300 to 400 amps straight to the electrode.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatman76

does she have a point? i am not a climate thumper anymore than i am a bible thumper, but pollution is bad... Less of it is better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT