ADVERTISEMENT

Batteries cost more than the car

BillytheC

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2021
In the article:

"We’re for cutting the cost of electric vehicles because when you have an electric vehicle then you’re also gonna be able to save on gas, but you’ve got to be able to afford it in the first place," Transportation Secretary Pete Butt Plugger said last week.

This is one of many reasons why so many in the media mentioned that not one SFB on The Groper Joe's administration has any business experience. No wonder he was too stupid to last in the military.

In the article:

"We’re for cutting the cost of electric vehicles because when you have an electric vehicle then you’re also gonna be able to save on gas, but you’ve got to be able to afford it in the first place," Transportation Secretary Pete Butt Plugger said last week.

This is one of many reasons why so many in the media mentioned that not one SFB on The Groper Joe's administration has any business experience. No wonder he was too stupid to last in the military.
Sounds like he took pointers from Kamala Harris by talking in circles. Word Salad.

It's a gigantic lie.

EV's could possibly be a wise purchase one day but today they absolutely are not. And if we continue to let people like the Biden Administration forge the path on them, they never will be.

By wise I mean the better purchase from an economic standpoint. Today they are absolutely a financial loser.

In the article:

It's a damn shame Summer's Eve wasn't here for this. 😂

I will pay 30 dollars a gallon before I buy one.

I would so LOVE to see the look on the faces of these EV car owners when their battery goes to shyt already. The costs including labor! They'd be like.......

iu

Does it? The Crystal River Power plant shut down. I remember when I first moved to Jax there was a corporation called Offshore Power Systems that was going to be a nuclear facility. Where are ours now? I'm asking because I have no clue where they are?
Since I moved away I'm not certain. Homestead & Port St Lucie were, the last I recall.

It's a gigantic lie.

EV's could possibly be a wise purchase one day but today they absolutely are not. And if we continue to let people like the Biden Administration forge the path on them, they never will be.

By wise I mean the better purchase from an economic standpoint. Today they are absolutely a financial loser.
Agreed. The potential is there, but most of that potential will never be realized since immature technologies are being politically forced to market instead of letting them develop naturally.

Agreed. The potential is there, but most of that potential will never be realized since immature technologies are being politically forced to market instead of letting them develop naturally.

Exactly. The potential does seem to be there but by trying to force it upon the masses, in a quasi religious cult like fashion, they are unwittingly retarding its development.

The novelty of owning one today is fine. If you're rich and can afford one, cool. And that can help its continued development. But with what this administration is purposely doing with fossil fuels and the lefts determination to shun nuclear energy, even if we get EV's where they need to be, we cannot hope to have the infrastructure to charge them to the tune of 250 million vehicles (which is how many vehicles we have on the road today).

That tells you rather plainly that these wannabe oligarchs have no intention for everyone to have an EV. No chicken for every pot per se. No, the peasantry will walk, ride a bike or use whatever form of public transport that the oligarchs so graciously provide for you.

Nuclear waste is the 35,000 year problem that has yet to be addressed properly.

Just say no to 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima....

• Wow
Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
France uses Nuclear Power, the old climate accord originators.

They became one of the world leaders in nuclear energy production in the late 60's, 70' and 80's. I'm not sure that they have the capacity to divorce themselves from it.

Unwittingly they solved their carbon emission issues long before the church of climatology claimed we had one. In fact, as they built said infrastructure, these same kooks claimed we were headed for another ice age.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
Nuclear waste is the 35,000 year problem that has yet to be addressed properly.

Just say no to 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima....

On average, the waste from a reactor supplying a person’s electricity needs for a year would be about the size of a brick. Only 5 grams of this is high-level waste – about the same weight as a sheet of paper. The generation of electricity from a typical 1,000-megawatt nuclear power station, which would supply the needs of more than a million people, produces only three cubic metres of vitrified high-level waste per year, if the used fuel is recycled.

In comparison, a 1,000-megawatt coal-fired power station produces approximately 300,000 tonnes of ash and more than 6 million tonnes of carbon dioxide, every year.

You're wrong on this one. And this technology continues to improve each year.

Bama, that's straight out of the handbook of those that are getting rich off nuclear power plants. Nuclear Waste Storage and Disposal Problems. Nathan Falde Nuclear Energy June 14, 2018.

Here’s the bottom line on nuclear waste: it’s incredibly toxic, incredibly dangerous, and if you’re among the 99 percent who aren’t employed by the nuclear energy industry, you don’t want it stored anywhere near your home. Even if you work in nuclear energy you may not want it near your home, whether you feel free to admit it or not. NIMBY

The possibility of catastrophic nuclear power-plant “accidents” isn’t the only reason why we and many other scientists are apprehensive about the spread of nuclear power. Perhaps an even greater danger exists in the radioactive wastes produced within the power generators themselves. Until a means of safely disposing of these materials is found, the production of “no risk” nuclear-generated electricity will be impossible.

Remember that most reactors split uranium 235 (U-235) nuclei to produce heat energy. That heat provides steam, which in turn spins generator turbines. However, when the uranium atoms split they create fragments (called “fission products”), and the nuclear waste disposal problem begins. The fragments, for example, contaminate the reactor’s fuel rods so badly that the rods must be replaced about once a year. (This replacement is necessary because the fission products “poison” the chain reaction by absorbing neutrons without fissioning. The trapped neutrons are then unable to sustain the “atomic” reaction.)

Continues at the link...

• Wow
Reactions: BCSpell
As to the EV's, I took a long hard look at all of the ramification, and just said NO....

Bama, that's straight out of the handbook of those that are getting rich off nuclear power plants. Nuclear Waste Storage and Disposal Problems. Nathan Falde Nuclear Energy June 14, 2018.

Here’s the bottom line on nuclear waste: it’s incredibly toxic, incredibly dangerous, and if you’re among the 99 percent who aren’t employed by the nuclear energy industry, you don’t want it stored anywhere near your home. Even if you work in nuclear energy you may not want it near your home, whether you feel free to admit it or not. NIMBY

The possibility of catastrophic nuclear power-plant “accidents” isn’t the only reason why we and many other scientists are apprehensive about the spread of nuclear power. Perhaps an even greater danger exists in the radioactive wastes produced within the power generators themselves. Until a means of safely disposing of these materials is found, the production of “no risk” nuclear-generated electricity will be impossible.

Remember that most reactors split uranium 235 (U-235) nuclei to produce heat energy. That heat provides steam, which in turn spins generator turbines. However, when the uranium atoms split they create fragments (called “fission products”), and the nuclear waste disposal problem begins. The fragments, for example, contaminate the reactor’s fuel rods so badly that the rods must be replaced about once a year. (This replacement is necessary because the fission products “poison” the chain reaction by absorbing neutrons without fissioning. The trapped neutrons are then unable to sustain the “atomic” reaction.)

Continues at the link...

Mother Earth News?

3 cubic meters of high level waste per year for a plant that provides power to a million people. That's an object that is 9.8 feet X 9.8 feet X 9.8 feet

...compared to 300,000 tonnes of ash from a coal powered plant...which is also radioactive btw. It also contains dozens of toxins including arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium and selenium.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
While you try to ignore 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima....
Now compare the 35,000 years, which you seem to be ignoring.

Can we put the waste from hundreds of nuke plants in your back yard, or are you going with NIMBY?

Can we put the waste from hundreds of nuke plants in your back yard, or are you going with NIMBY?

Can we put billions of tonnes of coal ash in your backyard annually?

And you can bring up 3 Mile, Chernobyl and Fukushima over and over if you like. If you don't think that I can list dozens and dozens of incidents where millions of tons of coal ash were spilled into rivers or seeped into ground water, you are mistaken.

Nuclear is absolutely cleaner than coal. The smaller waste is much deadlier than coal but much easier to manage than the massive amounts of coal ash, not to mention the carbon dioxide.

Can we put billions of tonnes of coal ash in your backyard annually?
No, but I'd be okay with spreading it out over Death Valley, unlike nuclear waste and waiting 35,000 years of it to go completely cold....

And is coal burning the only way to use coal?
Plus, is burning coal the only alternative to Nuclear?

There are about 80 nuclear waste storage sites distributed across the US, but actually no permanent repository. And while a new study has shown that Chernobyl crops are radioactive, do you think your food is safe around those nuclear waste disposal sites in the US?

Nuclear power provides twenty percent of America’s electricity. But the US has no permanent geologic repository for disposal of commercial SNF (spent nuclear fuel) and other HLW (high-level waste). Thus, commercial nuclear power plants generally store SNF on site.

In other words, the resulting nuclear waste — about 70,000 tons of it — is accumulating at 80 sites nationwide, which have also been built near major metro areas such as New York City, New Orleans, and Chicago as shown in the map below. See map at link.

No, but I'd be okay with spreading it out over Death Valley, unlike nuclear waste and waiting 35,000 years of it to go completely cold....

And is coal burning the only way to use coal?
Plus, is burning coal the only alternative to Nuclear?

No, there are absolutely other alternatives to coal. Hydro for example...but the opportunity to harness large amounts of hydroelectriciry is somewhat limited moving forward unless we learn how to harness energy from the waves in the ocean.

High-level nuclear waste is VERY toxic and it takes a LONG time to go away. However, the amounts produced are incredibly small by comparison. It is very manageable imho.

If you're OK with spreading coal ash out over Death Valley them I'm not sure why you're against storing high level nuclear waste under a mountain.

Frequency: 60 Hz. The Westinghouse WGen3600DF compact generator is designed to offer you consistent electricity when you are in need, even if you're at home or on the move. This generator's multi-fuel capability allows it to operate one on propane or gas, giving it a lot of flexibility (LPG).

According to U.S. Crude Oil and Natural Gas Proved Reserves, Year-end 2020, as of December 31, 2020, U.S. total natural gas proved reserves—estimated as wet gas (which includes hydrocarbon gas liquids [HGLs])—totaled about 473.3 trillion cubic feet (Tcf).

There are about 80 nuclear waste storage sites distributed across the US, but actually no permanent repository. And while a new study has shown that Chernobyl crops are radioactive, do you think your food is safe around those nuclear waste disposal sites in the US?

Nuclear power provides twenty percent of America’s electricity. But the US has no permanent geologic repository for disposal of commercial SNF (spent nuclear fuel) and other HLW (high-level waste). Thus, commercial nuclear power plants generally store SNF on site.

In other words, the resulting nuclear waste — about 70,000 tons of it — is accumulating at 80 sites nationwide, which have also been built near major metro areas such as New York City, New Orleans, and Chicago as shown in the map below. See map at link.

70k tons over the history of our use of nuclear energy.

Now do coal.

Agree we need permanent repositories. Guess why we don't have them? We know how to build them and we have uninhabitable places on this planet where we could build them.

Also, the US currently treats used nuclear fuel as waste. We already have the technology to recycle 97% of that small amount of waste in other types of reactors...reducing the relatively miniscule (by volume) waste even further...making permanent repositories even more viable for the 3%.

Until we master something better, nuclear appears to be the most viable option moving forward imho.

70k tons over the history of our use of nuclear energy.

Until we master something better, nuclear appears to be the most viable option moving forward imho.
We seem to be posting over each other which is breaking down the conversations. I'll drop back later to see where we're at.

Just a FYI, I have no stocks in any kind of power generation, so no dog in the hunt so to speak...

And over our history of nuclear waste, we still have not been able to deal with the already produced waste, over 70,000 Tons and counting, (that's 140,000,000 pounds). That's not a drop in the bucket, considering how toxic and dangerous to our environment it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaFan1137
Frequency: 60 Hz. The Westinghouse WGen3600DF compact generator is designed to offer you consistent electricity when you are in need, even if you're at home or on the move. This generator's multi-fuel capability allows it to operate one on propane or gas, giving it a lot of flexibility (LPG).

According to U.S. Crude Oil and Natural Gas Proved Reserves, Year-end 2020, as of December 31, 2020, U.S. total natural gas proved reserves—estimated as wet gas (which includes hydrocarbon gas liquids [HGLs])—totaled about 473.3 trillion cubic feet (Tcf).

We can have the same portability and flexibility with nukes now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT