ADVERTISEMENT

Arik Gilbert to UF!!

Trask beat Franks out for the job after the Mizzou game in year 1 (or you could say Franks played himself out of the job, that is a defensible position), but screwed up his ankle in practice that week and was out for the year. Franks then kept the job and won out until Kentucky year 2. Since Franks broke his ankle against UK, we will never know if Dan would have pulled Franks for Trask in that game, but I like to think he would have, because we don't win if Franks plays the whole game.
This is true. Why do they always forget that?

This is true. Why do they always forget that?
I’d guess bc it’s a nice point to make about a possible time Mullen made a coaching mistake. We don’t know that’s why Frank’s won the job. You never know how guys practice, and Franks did have better measurables and a lot of upside. He was also really popular with his teammates and seemed like a really good kid, and maybe all things together he gave Mullen more options on the field. The better question might be how many 2* backup QBs have ever become heisman finalists? Mullen was able to change the approach and lean into what Trask was able to do. Not many coaches are willing or able to do that.

Reactions: gatordad3
I’d guess bc it’s a nice point to make about a possible time Mullen made a coaching mistake. We don’t know that’s why Frank’s won the job. You never know how guys practice, and Franks did have better measurables and a lot of upside. He was also really popular with his teammates and seemed like a really good kid, and maybe all things together he gave Mullen more options on the field. The better question might be how many 2* backup QBs have ever become heisman finalists? Mullen was able to change the approach and lean into what Trask was able to do. Not many coaches are willing or able to do that.
I'm sure Mullen gave the initial edge to the kid that could handle the running aspects of the playbook and had a year's experience as a starter over another kid that hadn't hardly seen the field in 5+ years and showed little running ability. Only after Franks proved that he couldn't handle the mental aspect, and also that he could not be coached to handle it, was a change contemplated.

I think it is a tribute to Mullen that he was open-minded enough to see the positives in Trask's game and be willing to adjust his play calling for him when Franks was hurt. We also forget that Emory Jones was on the roster and able to run the entire playbook. It would have been much easier for Mullen to put the kid in and let him run the same playbook and learn on the fly, rather than going through the adjustment that putting Trask in required. But Mullen saw the potential in Trask and took the more difficult route.

I'm sure Mullen gave the initial edge to the kid that could handle the running aspects of the playbook and had a year's experience as a starter over another kid that hadn't hardly seen the field in 5+ years and showed little running ability. Only after Franks proved that he couldn't handle the mental aspect, and also that he could not be coached to handle it, was a change contemplated.

I think it is a tribute to Mullen that he was open-minded enough to see the positives in Trask's game and be willing to adjust his play calling for him when Franks was hurt. We also forget that Emory Jones was on the roster and able to run the entire playbook. It would have been much easier for Mullen to put the kid in and let him run the same playbook and learn on the fly, rather than going through the adjustment that putting Trask in required. But Mullen saw the potential in Trask and took the more difficult route.
You nailed it. In fact I was very surprised when Coach Mullen called on Trask rather than EJ.

You talking about Dan who started Franks over Trask?

The new HC kept the previous years starter as the starter.
I didn't agree and said so at the time, but I understood why he did it, which you either don't, or you're just trolling.

However, both Franks (Falcons) and Trask (Bucs) are now both in the NFL....

And btw, are you still claiming to speak for everyone in the conference, or just for yourself?
Asking for a friend.....
😜

The new HC kept the previous years starter as the starter.
I didn't agree and said so at the time, but I understood why he did it, which you either don't, or you're just trolling.

However, both Franks (Falcons) and Trask (Bucs) are now both in the NFL....

And btw, are you still claiming to speak for everyone in the conference, or just for yourself?
Asking for a friend.....
😜

you understood?

you heavily implied that there was some sort of Frank's mafia that was influencing Mullen not to put Trask in.

• Haha
Reactions: TennesseeGator
Trask beat Franks out for the job after the Mizzou game in year 1 (or you could say Franks played himself out of the job, that is a defensible position), but screwed up his ankle in practice that week and was out for the year. Franks then kept the job and won out until Kentucky year 2. Since Franks broke his ankle against UK, we will never know if Dan would have pulled Franks for Trask in that game, but I like to think he would have, because we don't win if Franks plays the whole game.

I think Mullen is hard headed sometimes on that stuff but fate stepped in and allowed Trask to show what he could do. It was clear at least the year he finally took over he should have been the starter game 1 of that season. Franks almost cost us the Miami game also with all that Driskeling.

Reactions: gatordad3
I think Mullen is hard headed sometimes on that stuff but fate stepped in and allowed Trask to show what he could do. It was clear at least the year he finally took over he should have been the starter game 1 of that season. Franks almost cost us the Miami game also with all that Driskeling.
Taught us a lesson: Do not steal QB recruits from LSU.

Yes, I know they had Burrow, but he was a transfer.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Tell the truth...the year Trask took over...I remember a guy named Fever saying we should go ahead and insert Emory and take whatever bumps and bruises happen. 😂

Reactions: instaGATOR
And now, back to the thread topic,,, just for a change....
😉

Would a Gator fan really want to trade any of the Gator TE's for xfer Arik?

I think that Arik backed off coming to UF after he took a good look at the Gator TE's.
😲

#1 TE
Arik Gilbert 6-5 248 ***** - Marietta, GA
LSU 2020 Stats: 35 for 368 yds, 10.5 Yds/Rec, L-25, 2 TD's.

#7 TE
Kemore Gamble 6-4 248 rsSr **** - Miami, FL
UF 2020 Stats: 10 for 160 yds, 16.0 Yds/Rec, L-34, 3 TD's.
(#2 TE behind 1/4 NFL drafted Pitts)

#2 TE Keon Zipperer 6-3 240 Jr **** - Lakeland, FL
UF 2020 Stats: 11 for 145 yds, 13.2 Yds/Rec, L-39 2 TD's
(#3 TE behind Pitts & Gamble)

The Gators 2 backup TE's combined for:
21 for 305 yds, 14.5 Yds/Rec, L-39, 5 TD's
35 for 368 yds, 10.5 Yds/Rec, L-25, 2 TD's. -- Arik at LSU in 2020
=====

And waiting in the TE wings for the Gators:
TE Jonathan Odom 6-6 240 rsFr - Tampa, FL (2nd year)
TE Nick Elksnis 6-6 237 Fr - Jacksonville, FL (early enrolled)
TE Gage Wilcox 6-4 228 - Tampa, FL - (summer enrolled)
-----
2022 Class:
#29 TE CJ Hawkins 6-7 220 *** - Tampa, FL - 29 Offers
(Also a B-Ball PF/SF)
SEC Offers: UF--UA-UG-UK-MS-SCa-TN
FL D1 School Offers: UF--FSU-UCF-USF-FAU-FIU
Others: AZSt-GaT-Duke-Ind-KSt-MichSt-Pitt-Pur-Rut-Stan-TX-VaT-UConn-AppSt-Lib-Yale
~~ His film and his 29 offers tells me that he's currently vastly under-rated....

Heck, at this point, I wouldn't even trade incoming Hawkins for Gilbert.....

Like I said months ago, I wouldn't trade any of UF's roster TE's for 5-star Gilbert....
🤔

2017 #7 TE Kemore Gamble 6-4 216 **** rsSr -- Now 6-4 243, eligibility expiring in 21.

2018 #5 TE Kyle Pitts 6-5.5 235 **** -- An ED Jr at 6-6 246, 1/4 NFL Draft

2019 #2 TE Keon Zipperer 6-2 240 **** Jr -- now 6-3 242

With a good season, Zip may leave for the NFL with Gamble.

----- Leaving this as the 2022 TE Room: -- (plus Zip if he stays for his Sr season)

2020 #32 TE Jonathan Odom 6-5 250 *** rsFr -- Legacy Jason, now 6-5 240 and quicker.

2021 #12 TE Gage Wilcox 6-4 228 **** Fr -- Summer B arrival, now 230 Lbs

2021 #15 TE Nick Elksnis 6-6 220 *** Fr -- EE and already up to 243 Lbs, under-rated.
---
2022 #39 TE CJ Hawkins 6-7 220 *** -- With 29 offers including UA & UG, way under-rated.
-----
2023 #5 TE Mac Markway 6-4 250 **** -- HS Jr. Hard Commit

BillyG WR's and Tim Brewster TE's are excellent position coaches.
Overall in 2020, the TE position caught 64 passes for 1,075 Yds and accounted for 17 TD's.

Why were the Gator TE's not used much (at all) as receivers in the 1st 2 games?
Sandbagging the TE's for the Bama game.

Besides that, why were they used (9 receptions) so much in the Bama game?
VS Bama -- Zipper 4 for 51 Yds -- Gamble 5 for 32 Yds, 9 for 83 Yds, 9.2 Yds/Rec

Sep 18, 2021: #1-TE Jaleel Skinner unofficially visits Florida Gators.​

#1 TE Jaleel Skinner 6-5 210 **** Natl. 74 - IMG, FL / SCa
25 Offers - His current recruiting leaders: UA-Mia-TX-Clem --- UF a distant 5th place.
==========

2022 Committed to UF: -- Highly under-rated in the iG's opinion.
#39 TE CJ Hawkins 6-7 220 *** Natl. 728 - Tampa, FL
29 Offers
- UF--UA-UG-UK-MS-SCa-TN
Duke-Stanford-Yale (he's obviously no dummy)
AzSt-FSU-GaT-MichSt-TX-UCF-USF-VaT, and 11 others...
With offers coming from various schools in every P-5 conference.
* BTW, both of his parents are UF Alums..... See his HS Jr film here:
https://247sports.com/player/cj-hawkins-46111840/

UF also has a recent 2022 offer out to:
#3 TE Oscar Delp 6-5 220 **** Natl 97 - Cummings, GA
33 Offers - UF--UA-Ark-AU-UG-MS-SCa-TN-aTm-VU
AZSt-BC-GaT-FSU-Mia-MichSt-Minn-NC-Neb-tOSU-OK-TX-USC-VaT
Duke-Stanford-Vanderbilt (he's obviously no dummy)

I'd love to get 2 TE's in the 2022 class, but I wouldn't trade 3-star CJ for any 4-star.
Just like I wouldn't have traded 4-star Richardson for 5-star Beck.
Or 2-star Trask for 3-star Luke Del Rio....

Only clueless twits like the dog-poker get all carried away by stars or the class rankings....
Stars and class rankings are good Msg. Brd. Fodder, especially during 'talking season.'
But I rely on which coaches offer, their film, and then my own judgment and opinions.

PS
2021 TE Arik Gilbert 6-5 248 So *****
2021 Stats????
"What happens to all of those 5-stars after they get to Athens?" -- The Evil Genius
😂

Only clueless twits like the dog-poker get all carried away by stars or the class rankings....
Stars and class rankings are good Msg. Brd. Fodder, especially during 'talking season.'
But I rely on which coaches offer, their film, and then my own judgment and opinions.

Fake news InstaFool….. everybody that’s been on this board for longer than a handful of years knows you count and post more recruit stars than all the other posters on this site….. maybe on the entire Yahoo platform…..

in other words, you’ve been full of fodder your entire posting career

Fake news InstaFool….. everybody that’s been on this board for longer than a handful of years knows you count and post more recruit stars than all the other posters on this site….. maybe on the entire Yahoo platform…..

We know he's over 80, maybe he honestly doesn't remember his 10,000+ posts where all he talked was recruiting stars.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog

And the subtleties of my postings have always escaped your dumb azz observations.

😂

I’ve never blown on the number of stars a recruit has - you do constantly. Therefore you’re projecting your obsession into me….

upon which I call shens

Why were the Gator TE's not used much (at all) as receivers in the 1st 2 games?
Sandbagging the TE's for the Bama game.

Besides that, why were they used (9 receptions) so much in the Bama game?
VS Bama -- Zipper 4 for 51 Yds -- Gamble 5 for 32 Yds, 9 for 83 Yds, 9.2 Yds/Rec

Sep 18, 2021: #1-TE Jaleel Skinner unofficially visits Florida Gators.​

#1 TE Jaleel Skinner 6-5 210 **** Natl. 74 - IMG, FL / SCa
25 Offers - His current recruiting leaders: UA-Mia-TX-Clem --- UF a distant 5th place.
==========

2022 Committed to UF: -- Highly under-rated in the iG's opinion.
#39 TE CJ Hawkins 6-7 220 *** Natl. 728 - Tampa, FL
29 Offers
- UF--UA-UG-UK-MS-SCa-TN
Duke-Stanford-Yale (he's obviously no dummy)
AzSt-FSU-GaT-MichSt-TX-UCF-USF-VaT, and 11 others...
With offers coming from various schools in every P-5 conference.
* BTW, both of his parents are UF Alums..... See his HS Jr film here:
https://247sports.com/player/cj-hawkins-46111840/

UF also has a recent 2022 offer out to:
#3 TE Oscar Delp 6-5 220 **** Natl 97 - Cummings, GA
33 Offers - UF--UA-Ark-AU-UG-MS-SCa-TN-aTm-VU
AZSt-BC-GaT-FSU-Mia-MichSt-Minn-NC-Neb-tOSU-OK-TX-USC-VaT
Duke-Stanford-Vanderbilt (he's obviously no dummy)

I'd love to get 2 TE's in the 2022 class, but I wouldn't trade 3-star CJ for any 4-star.
Just like I wouldn't have traded 4-star Richardson for 5-star Beck.
Or 2-star Trask for 3-star Luke Del Rio....

PS
2021 TE Arik Gilbert 6-5 248 So *****
2021 Stats????
"What happens to all of those 5-stars after they get to Athens?" -- The Evil Genius
😂
Delp will end up in Athens.

LOL... BTW, have you seen our true frosh TE? Noice!
Nope, and apparently the UGly official roster hasn't seen Fr TE Noice either....

UGly legghumping TE's (8) for 2021: (mostly wasted space)

43. Chase Harof 6-2 250 Sr

24. Matthew Brown 6-2 230 Jr

86. John Fitzpatric 6-7 250 Jr - 3 for 34 Yds, 0 TD's, L-28

44. Michael Hagerty 6-4 225 rsSo

80. Brett Seither 6-5 228 rsSo

88. Ryland Goede 6-6 240 rsSo

0. Darnell Washington 6-7 265 So

19. Brock Bowers 6-4 230 Fr - 18 for 272 Yds, 4 TD's L-89
(Brock's the leading receiver for UGly, but he ain't no Kyle Pitts)

14. WR Arik Gilbert 6-5 248 So ***** (xfer from LSU) WR? WTF???

2021 Stats??? -- NADA

2022 UGly TE Recruits: NADA

What I know is that I wouldn't trade any of UF's TE's for any of UGly's.

• Haha
Reactions: Gator Fever
LOL... BTW, have you seen our true frosh TE? Noice!
You played Clemson and scored nothing. Some on here, maybe you, maybe not you, stated that there were a bunch of guys out for that game. Ok, I'll buy that. But your last three games have been against trash. Stats from those games don't mean much.

But you now get Arky, the nation's surprise team. They look legit. Not elite, mind you, but legit. They blew up TAMU, but they have some issues on offense this year. So I'm looking forward to the game. I think we can get a real, actual barometer reading on your team. If you beat them by 30, you might actually be as good as you think you are.

Nope, and apparently the UGly official roster hasn't seen Fr TE Noice either....

UGly legghumping TE's (8) for 2021: (mostly wasted space)

43. Chase Harof 6-2 250 Sr

24. Matthew Brown 6-2 230 Jr

86. John Fitzpatric 6-7 250 Jr - 3 for 34 Yds, 0 TD's, L-28

44. Michael Hagerty 6-4 225 rsSo

80. Brett Seither 6-5 228 rsSo

88. Ryland Goede 6-6 240 rsSo

0. Darnell Washington 6-7 265 So

19. Brock Bowers 6-4 230 Fr - 18 for 272 Yds, 4 TD's L-89
(Brock's the leading receiver for UGly, but he ain't no Kyle Pitts)

14. WR Arik Gilbert 6-5 248 So ***** (xfer from LSU) WR? WTF???

2021 Stats??? -- NADA

2022 UGly TE Recruits: NADA

What I know is that I wouldn't trade any of UF's TE's for any of UGly's.
LOL. Bowers is going to be an AA.
Washington should be back for Arky this weekend.

You played Clemson and scored nothing. Some on here, maybe you, maybe not you, stated that there were a bunch of guys out for that game. Ok, I'll buy that. But your last three games have been against trash. Stats from those games don't mean much.

But you now get Arky, the nation's surprise team. They look legit. Not elite, mind you, but legit. They blew up TAMU, but they have some issues on offense this year. So I'm looking forward to the game. I think we can get a real, actual barometer reading on your team. If you beat them by 30, you might actually be as good as you think you are.
We weren't full strength on offense for Clemson... even JT Daniels was hurt going into Clemson (oblique), and we haven't been full strength on offense yet this year. We cover against Arky Saturday.

We weren't full strength on offense for Clemson... even JT Daniels was hurt going into Clemson (oblique), and we haven't been full strength on offense yet this year. We cover against Arky Saturday.
I believe I mentioned the injury excuse.

18 is a big line. Just saying.

LOL. Bowers is going to be an AA.
Washington should be back for Arky this weekend.
If that Washington kid has some quicks and good hands he's got the size to be special. Bowers is just a WR too slow to play the position. Justin Shorter plays WR for us and he is 6-5 228.

If that Washington kid has some quicks and good hands he's got the size to be special. Bowers is just a WR too slow to play the position. Justin Shorter plays WR for us and he is 6-5 228.
Bowers had the 2nd highest speed in the country week 2 on his 89 yard td. Nothing about him is slow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT