ADVERTISEMENT

Arik Gilbert to UF!!

When will we know if he's able to play this year?

the NCAA is going to change their rule but the SEC still has a 1 year intraconference mandate.

Reactions: Wiebs
Kirby be like...

tenor.gif

Mullen is doing great in the transfer portal, but wouldn't it be better if he could get more high quality players through high school recruiting so he would have them for at least 3 years?
Bowman and Gilbert are both freshmen. If they are good enough they won’t be here longer than 3 years anyways.

Bowman and Gilbert are both freshmen. If they are good enough they won’t be here longer than 3 years anyways.
Understand. The portal has become a new means of filling gaps and is part of the new reality in D1 football. And I agree that taking Gilbert & Bowman were no-brainers. And we needed to take the defensive players we got via the portal to make up for failures in recruiting at those positions. But I wasn't talking about specific players, just the general idea that we need to do a better job of recruiting top tier high school kids. To me that's how you build an upper echelon program with staying power. Nothing wrong with getting a good transfer kid here and there, but we're not matching the big dogs like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and even Georgia in getting consistent 5 star players that elevate a program. Right now the 2021 Gator recruiting class is ranked #13 in the 247Sports composite, with 4 SEC schools ahead of us. Last year we were ranked #9 nationally, #6 in the SEC.

Reactions: gatordad3
Understand. The portal has become a new means of filling gaps and is part of the new reality in D1 football. And I agree that taking Gilbert & Bowman were no-brainers. And we needed to take the defensive players we got via the portal to make up for failures in recruiting at those positions. But I wasn't talking about specific players, just the general idea that we need to do a better job of recruiting top tier high school kids. To me that's how you build an upper echelon program with staying power. Nothing wrong with getting a good transfer kid here and there, but we're not matching the big dogs like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and even Georgia in getting consistent 5 star players that elevate a program. Right now the 2021 Gator recruiting class is ranked #13 in the 247Sports composite, with 4 SEC schools ahead of us. Last year we were ranked #9 nationally, #6 in the SEC.

Hoping, HOPING, that the new facility, which should be done next year at this time, will be a big boost to recruiting. I'd also like to see us invest some of those new SEC $$$ in a top notch recruiting coordinator and an increase in the # of analysts.

Mullen is doing great in the transfer portal, but wouldn't it be better if he could get more high quality players through high school recruiting so he would have them for at least 3 years?

Sure probably - but that's most likely not in the cards. Mullen is a good recruiter - he's not elite. But he's a hell over a game day coach and built a great team from the ashes lol.

I thought the rule was already changed that all transfers are eligible next season due to the clown show that was this past season. Is the SEC trying to restrict that? If so awesome, the negative publicity will be fun to watch.

I thought the rule was already changed that all transfers are eligible next season due to the clown show that was this past season. Is the SEC trying to restrict that? If so awesome, the negative publicity will be fun to watch.

The SEC has long had a one year sit rule for transfers. I don't see any movement to get rid of it, but if the press starts to make a stink, be sure that Sankey will say something like "we are looking at this rule closely" or some such, and then they will quietly get rid of it. Negative publicity? Probably a little, but the SEC will get rid of the rule before it becomes a big deal. Or at least, soon after.

Top Coaches don't make recruiting choices by outsider recruit ranking services rankings. 😏
The 3-4 stars often out perform the 5 stars in college, and then they get drafted.
2-Star Trask being the perfect recent example of that.

When a 5-star chooses to go elsewhere (for whatever $$ reasons), that's not necessarily a failure by the Gator coaches. Later, when reality strikes home and they realize that they've made a mistake, then they go where they should have gone to begin with (i.e. transfer portal).

It remains to be seen, what any of the recent 5-star xfers do or don't do at UF.
RB Lingard
RB Bowman
TE Gilbert
I of course wish them all well as Gators....
======

I'm okay with taking Gilbert, but it's not like he's filling some gigantic TE hole at UF.... :rolleyes:

#5 TE Kyle Pitts 6-6 246 Jr -- Projected 1st Rnd NFL
43 for 770 Yds, 12 TD's, L-71 -- 17.9 Yds Rec

#7 TE Kemore Gamble 6-4 250 rsJr
10 for 160 Yds, 3 TD's, L-34 -- 16.0 Yds/Rec

#2 TE
Keon Zipperer 6-2 240 So
11 for 145 Yds, 2 TD's, L-39 -- 13.2 Yds/Rec

#32 TE
Jonathan Odom 6-5 245 Fr -- Redshirt, highly under-rated in iG's opinion.
He redshirted behind 3 Top 7 rated TE's in 2020.
-----
#1 TE Alrik Gilbert 6-5 249 Fr - @ LSU
35 for 368 Yds, 2 TD's. -- 10.5 Yds/Rec

~~ Note the Yds/Rec stats...

=====

RB Lingard didn't just stroll in and take over the starting RB slot, neither will Bowman.
So despite his recruiting stars, Gilbert will also have to 'earn' his playing time.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
The SEC has long had a one year sit rule for transfers. I don't see any movement to get rid of it, but if the press starts to make a stink, be sure that Sankey will say something like "we are looking at this rule closely" or some such, and then they will quietly get rid of it. Negative publicity? Probably a little, but the SEC will get rid of the rule before it becomes a big deal. Or at least, soon after.
Van Jefferson transfered from Ole Miss and into UF without having to sit a year. Not sure if he was a grad transfer or not. We tried to get Brenton Cox eligible immediately from his transfer from UGA to UF. I don’t anticipate being a problem for Arik Gilbert

My understanding is that with covid and all - everyone both gets 1 extra year of eligibility and pretty much 100% of transfers will be granted for the next bit.

Top Coaches don't make recruiting choices by outsider recruit ranking services rankings. 😏
The 3-4 stars often out perform the 5 stars in college, and then they get drafted.
2-Star Trask being the perfect recent example of that.

When a 5-star chooses to go elsewhere (for whatever $$ reasons), that's not necessarily a failure by the Gator coaches. Later, when reality strikes home and they realize that they've made a mistake, then they go where they should have gone to begin with (i.e. transfer portal).

It remains to be seen, what any of the recent 5-star xfers do or don't do at UF.
RB Lingard
RB Bowman
TE Gilbert
I of course wish them all well as Gators....
======

I'm okay with taking Gilbert, but it's not like he's filling some gigantic TE hole at UF.... :rolleyes:

#5 TE Kyle Pitts 6-6 246 Jr -- Projected 1st Rnd NFL
43 for 770 Yds, 12 TD's, L-71 -- 17.9 Yds Rec

#7 TE Kemore Gamble 6-4 250 rsJr
10 for 160 Yds, 3 TD's, L-34 -- 16.0 Yds/Rec

#2 TE
Keon Zipperer 6-2 240 So
11 for 145 Yds, 2 TD's, L-39 -- 13.2 Yds/Rec

#32 TE
Jonathan Odom 6-5 245 Fr -- Redshirt, highly under-rated in iG's opinion.
He redshirted behind 3 Top 7 rated TE's in 2020.
-----
#1 TE Alrik Gilbert 6-5 249 Fr - @ LSU
35 for 368 Yds, 2 TD's. -- 10.5 Yds/Rec

~~ Note the Yds/Rec stats...

=====

RB Lingard didn't just stroll in and take over the starting RB slot, neither will Bowman.
So despite his recruiting stars, Gilbert will also have to 'earn' his playing time.
You can add Justin Shorter to that list as well.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Van Jefferson transfered from Ole Miss and into UF without having to sit a year. Not sure if he was a grad transfer or not. We tried to get Brenton Cox eligible immediately from his transfer from UGA to UF. I don’t anticipate being a problem for Arik Gilbert

The SEC will grant exceptions just like the NCAA will.

I THINK (but do not know for certainty) that this was the delay Van Jefferson experienced, and why it seems like the NCAA is playing favorites with SEC teams. It's not the NCAA doing it. It's the SEC office.

Yes

Not if Mullen keeps getting good experienced players that can start immediately at positions of need, getting high-school players are just a crap shoot ,no matter how many stars they have. Portal transfers are already proven and ready to play.

Not if Mullen keeps getting good experienced players that can start immediately at positions of need, getting high-school players are just a crap shoot ,no matter how many stars they have. Portal transfers are already proven and ready to play.

Transfer players are far from a sure thing. Occasionally you get a guy who wants to come home, or didn't get a fair shake at his first school, but mostly what you get are guys who couldn't beat out the other guys. I'd rather get the guys the transfer guys couldn't beat out.

Reactions: slnbot
Transfer players are far from a sure thing. Occasionally you get a guy who wants to come home, or didn't get a fair shake at his first school, but mostly what you get are guys who couldn't beat out the other guys. I'd rather get the guys the transfer guys couldn't beat out.

So far IMO just about all of Mullens Portal players have really helped UF, a few were really good.

Skipping to another sport. How did Michigan overlook the talent of Collin Castleton?

Castleton was not overlooked, Mich just had/has a loaded Post...
That is often the case with guys like Jefferson at Miss, they were loaded at WR.
Upperclassmen with equal talent are going to play before the younger guys.

Cox at UGly has issues with the coaches, not a lack of talent.

And then there's the Grad-xfers like a Canyon Barry.
He was looking for a Nuke program and found it at UF.

Dan and Mike have both excelled at getting quality xfers.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
ADVERTISEMENT