ADVERTISEMENT

Arik Gilbert to UF!!

Even if the "flame out" argument has merit, Mullen is the exception. He's the best transfer guy going and his hit rate is pretty much 100% success.
Mullen has certainly brought in some talent. In 2019 he brought in one transfer, Jonathan Greenard, who was great for us. Of course, he also had 4 4-stars and 4 3-stars transfer out, so hard to call that a net gain. In 2020 he did better, but still waiting for those 5 star transfers to become difference makers. I realize the narrative is that Mullen is doing great in the transfer portal, but when you actually look at the ins and outs, it's not so clear cut.

Mullen has certainly brought in some talent. In 2019 he brought in one transfer, Jonathan Greenard, who was great for us. Of course, he also had 4 4-stars and 4 3-stars transfer out, so hard to call that a net gain. In 2020 he did better, but still waiting for those 5 star transfers to become difference makers. I realize the narrative is that Mullen is doing great in the transfer portal, but when you actually look at the ins and outs, it's not so clear cut.
True - the other tough thing about the net gains from the transfer portal is the question, compared to who? There really isn't a metric set up that can quantitatively be used imo. I know people look at the total talent measurement but that's still based on high school rankings or a re-ranking which is tough to be accurate imo.

True - the other tough thing about the net gains from the transfer portal is the question, compared to who? There really isn't a metric set up that can quantitatively be used imo. I know people look at the total talent measurement but that's still based on high school rankings or a re-ranking which is tough to be accurate imo.
Hard to compare but you have to forget about high school rankings because not all 5 stars pan out and 3 stars do. A previous poster brought up Jonathan Greenard, don't know how many stars he had in high school but he was unstoppable when he played for us. It takes some more time to mature physically and more importantly, mentally.

Dan's Xfers: HS stars

2021 - Success at UF yet to be determined.
K Jace Christmann - MsSt - recruited to MsSt by Dan
DT Daquan Newkirk **** - Auburn
DT Antonio Shelton *** - PSU
RB Demarkcus Bowman ***** - Clemson

RB Lorenzo Lingard ***** - Miami
OG Stewart Reese *** - MsSt - recruited to MsSt by Dan
WR Justin Shorter ***** - PSU

K Zack Sessa
OLB Noah Keeter *** - UCLA
WR Jordan Pouncey *** - TX
OLB Brenton Cox ***** - UGly

DE Jonathan Greenard *** - UL - recruited to UL by Grantham
~~ Cox was a 2019 xfer but was forced to sit-out, unlike Fields to tOSU.

OT Noah Banks *** - JuCo
TE Lucas Krull **** - Jefferson College

WR Van Jefferson **** - Ole MS
WR Trevon Grimes ***** - tOSU

OLB Umstea Sanders *** - JuCo

Last edited:
Mike's X-fers:

2015-16
SF Justin Leon - JuCo AA
C Schuyler Rimmer - Stanford

2016-17
SG Jalen Hudson - VaTech
C John Egbunu - USF
CG Canyon Barry - College of Charleston

2017-18
CG Egor Koulechov - Rice

2018-19 - None

2019-20
PF Anthony Duruji - LaTech
PG Tyree Appleby - Cleveland St.
PF/C Kerry Blackshear Jr - VaTech

2020-21
PF/C Colin Castleton - Mich
PF Osayi Osifo - E.FL St College
(Mike's only xfer-out after being a xfer-in, went JU with Mincy for playing time)

2021-22
CG Brandon McKissic - Mizz-Kansas City - Def. PoY
CG Myreon Jones - PSU - PSU's leading scorer.
CG Phiandous Fleming - Char.So 2X Def. PoY
PF CJ Felder - BC - #2 in ACC in Blk's at 2.2 BPG

JMOHO, but Dan and Mike are the best coaches so far at using the portal.

I began by saying that I wouldn't trade any of Dan's current TE's for Arik.
I stand by that judgment.

I would have taken his xfer, but not traded any of what we already have for him.
And at this point, he is really looking like way more trouble than he'll ever be worth....

Being a receiver in Dan's passing game is a whole lot more than just being a WR....

2021 Receivers:
(10 WR's + 6 TE's + 6 RB's = 22 --- 13 with a Rec, 8 with a TD)

WR Rick Wells 6-1 204 rsSr -- 12, Ave 10.0
WR Jordan Pouncey 6-1 212 rsSr -- 1, Ave 27.0, 1 TD (from AR in Cotton)
WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 204 rsJr -- 23, Ave 18.9, 3 TD's (most Yd's)
WR Justin Shorter 6-5 227 rsJr -- 25, Ave 10.7, 3 TD's (most Rec's)
WR Trent Whittemore 6-4 213 rsSo -- 10, Ave 12.8, 1 TD
WR Ja'Markus Weston 6-3 212 rsSo -- 1, Ave 13.0
WR Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-3 215 So -- 1, Ave 4.0
WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3 196 So -- 9, Ave 16.4, 1 TD
All WR's but one averaged 10+ YPR, a true Fr with only 1 Rec.
-----
#33 WR Marcus Burke 6-3 180 **** Fr
#44 WR Daeion Reynolds 6-2 201 **** Fr EE (Del Rio's HS WR)
=====

TE Kemore Gamble 6-4 252 rsSr -- 10, Ave 15.3, 3 TD's
TE Keon Zipperer 6-3 240 Jr -- 11, Ave 13.2, 2 TD's
TE Jonathan Odom 6-6 240 rsFr
-----
TE Nick Elksnis 6-6 237 **** Fr - EE
TE Gage Wilcox 6-4 228 **** Fr
TE/LS Rocco Underwood 6-4 220 *** Fr
=====

RB Malik Davis 5-10 198 rsSr -- 31, Ave 12.2
RB Dameon Pierce 5-10 212 Sr -- 17, Ave 9.2, 1 TD
RB Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 206 rsJr
RB Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 197 rsSo -- 19, Ave 11.5
RB Demarkcus Bowman 5-10 187 rsFr
-----
RB Carlson Joseph 5-10 191 rsFr - 6.0 YPC
Spring 2020 WO from American Heritage, Plantation, FL
==========

Recent Departures

2019 - Jefferson, Cleveland, Swain, Hammond, Perine = NFL
2020 - Pitts, Toney, Grimes = NFL
2021 - We shall see....

Last edited:
Im not lying when i say this, someone told me he took an "official visit" to LSU.... The school he played for last yr...

yeah he actually did. Heard Ogeron talk about it.

Again. Doesn't make sense. He left because of personal family things and instead of going to Georgia, who wants him, he came to us...and then left...and then....went to see LSU again a couple of weeks ago....and....still no school.

Reactions: fsu939913

Again. Doesn't make sense. He left because of personal family things and instead of going to Georgia, who wants him, he came to us...and then left...and then....went to see LSU again a couple of weeks ago....and....still no school.
He may be talented. 1 transfer and it's a mistake - after that it's a pattern.

Kids head is on a spinner.... Damn he would fit so well as a willie recruit. We missed on that one

Hard to compare but you have to forget about high school rankings because not all 5 stars pan out and 3 stars do. A previous poster brought up Jonathan Greenard, don't know how many stars he had in high school but he was unstoppable when he played for us. It takes some more time to mature physically and more importantly, mentally.
it's all player development and scheme

it's all player development and scheme
DE Greenard was recruited by DC/DL Grantham when he was at UL.

When Greenard was a Grad-xfer in the portal, Grantham is the one that got his xfer commit to UF.

And as DC/DL, he was instrumental in both the system and training of Greenard.

Just another one of the many positive things that Todd rarely gets any credit for....

DE Greenard was recruited by DC/DL Grantham when he was at UL.

When Greenard was a Grad-xfer in the portal, Grantham is the one that got his xfer commit to UF.

And as DC/DL, he was instrumental in both the system and training of Greenard.

Just another one of the many positive things that Todd rarely gets any credit for....

Greenard came trained. Don't kid yourself.

Frankly I think it's an indictment of Grantham that the best defensive player he's had so far was a one year graduate transfer, who was trained elsewhere. But, let's be fair, this is his 4th year. These are his guys, he now has seniors and RS juniors that he brought in himself, so we should see his vision for the defense play out in its entirety. NO MORE EXCUSES.

Frankly I think it's an indictment of Grantham that the best defensive player he's had so far was a one year graduate transfer, who was trained elsewhere. But, let's be fair, this is his 4th year. These are his guys, he now has seniors and RS juniors that he brought in himself, so we should see his vision for the defense play out in its entirety. NO MORE EXCUSES.
100%

So, according to LLL, Grantham wasn't the DC/DL coach for Jachai Polite, or any of the others that went on to the NFL...
🤔

Fault Finding X-spurt Little Loopy Lizzy on Grantham coaching Greenard.
Note: And if Greenard doesn't agree with LLL, then he must be lying....

Following a successful, albeit injury-plagued career at the University of Louisville, former Florida defensive lineman Jonathan Greenard had an opportunity of a lifetime - to reunite with the man who originally recruited him - Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham. Grantham, originally hired by the Gators in November 2017, was Greenard's defensive coordinator at Louisville from 2015-16.

"That was one of the main reasons why I transferred there," Greenard told members of the media at the 2020 NFL Combine last week when asked about playing for Grantham. "I wanted to play in a system my last year that I was comfortable in and let me showcase my talents."

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...n-greenard-reflects-season-florida-great-time

=====

Jon Greenard x Todd Grantham's system = Nightmares

Yep Greenard definitely showed he had talent at his previous school and was likely to be a standout when he played for us.

Then Kirby Dumb is doing nothing but pissing his money away on Gilbert. Washington was the top TE in their class either last year or the season before while Nauta was overall top TE before Washington. I doubt Arik Gilbert will make an impact as history shows how Kirby and his staff have failed to develop players at Georgia.

Last edited:
This Gilbert kid has it made. He can just keep playing LSU and UGLY off against each other and just make BANK all the way. Honestly he doesn't even have to play one down in 2021, he'll be putting so much money away going back and forth between the two biggest bag-man schools in the country.

In the end I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he takes all their dough and still ends up at Ohio State. Many players from down here in the South have realized they have a better shot at getting to the NFL by playing at oSU and just looking that much better and having that much better stats because they won't play any good teams all year long. Vs the juggernaut of an SEC schedule?

Frankly I think it's an indictment of Grantham that the best defensive player he's had so far was a one year graduate transfer, who was trained elsewhere.
LLL, who recruited him and then coached him at UL in 2015-16? (hint - TG)
Yep Greenard definitely showed he had talent at his previous school and was likely to be a standout when he played for us.

Following a successful, albeit injury-plagued career at the University of Louisville, former Florida defensive lineman Jonathan Greenard had an opportunity of a lifetime - to reunite with the man who originally recruited him and coached him at UL - Florida DC/DL Todd Grantham. Grantham, originally hired by the Gators in November 2017, was Greenard's defensive coordinator at Louisville from 2015-16. <<<

"That was one of the main reasons why I transferred there (to UF),"
Greenard told members of the media at the 2020 NFL Combine last week when asked about playing for Grantham. "I wanted to play in a (3rd & Grantham) system my last year that I was comfortable in and let me showcase my talents."

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...n-greenard-reflects-season-florida-great-time

=======

Claiming that Greenard is the only good Grantham player, and that he was coached up by someone else is about as close as you two clueless dweebs ever get to being correct....
How quickly they forget, or never pay enough attention while they spew their hate at Grantham.

DL Jabari Zuniga *** - In 2018, under Todd, he was named to the Ted Hendricks Award Watch List.
After his 2019 rsSr season, he was drafted 3/79 to the Jets.

DL Jachai Polite ***
- Under Todd, he became the 4th Gator with at least 8 career forced fumbles.
He recorded 45 tackles and led the team with 17.5 TFL, 11 sacks and 6 forced fumbles.
E-D to the NFL after his 2018 Jr All SEC season, drafted 3/68 to the Jets.

But hey, don't listen to the players that CHOSE to play for Todd, because Little Loopy Lizzy and the fevered-brain know better than anyone about coaching and football....
🙄

Then Kirby Dumb is doing nothing but pissing his money away on Gilbert. Washington was the top TE in their class either last year or the season before while Nauta was overall top TE before Washington. I doubt Arik Gilbert will make an impact as history shows how Kirby and his staff have failed to develop players at Georgia.
Come on brother. Kirby has been getting 3 star kids drafted. This not developing talent is a myth.

I think Gilbert was the top ranked TE and Washington was 2nd. Watch our freshman TE Bowers this year as well. He's a player.

Reactions: Dawg Wood
Come on brother. Kirby has been getting 3 star kids drafted. This not developing talent is a myth.

I think Gilbert was the top ranked TE and Washington was 2nd. Watch our freshman TE Bowers this year as well. He's a player.
So the #1 rated TE decides to leave school for personal reasons. Stuff happens, I get that.

He looks at going to the school that just had the TE DRAFTED HIGHEST IN NFL HISTORY, and who obviously has an open starting spot. Makes perfect sense, could come in and start right away, get the same training as Pitts, maybe get drafted as high or higher. After all Pitts was a 4 star, he's a 5.

But wait, suddenly he changes his mind and decides to go to a school with ANOTHER 5 STAR TE FROM HIS SAME CLASS, that just had a TE drafted in the third round. But wait, that TE was a senior transfer from FSU (so not trained at Georgia) and caught SIX PASSES IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER AT GEORGIA, even though he started 8 games for them.

SIX. PASSES.

KYLE PITTS CAUGHT 12 (12!) TOUCHDOWN PASSES IN 8 GAMES LAST YEAR, TWICE AS MANY TD'S AS TOTAL CATCHES BY THE GEORGIA TE!

So the TE position, not used so much at Georgia, and when used, not used well.

So instead of going to UF and slotting into one of the top TE positions in the COUNTRY, he decides to go to a school that doesn't throw to the TE, doesn't develop TE's, and has a 5 star guy FROM HIS CLASS with a year already in the system.

How can that be anything other than a large cash transaction?

The last 2 drafts UGA has had a total of 2 more players drafted than UF. 2 in 2 years total - UGA has a higher percentage of 4 and 5 star players so there's something there.

So the #1 rated TE decides to leave school for personal reasons. Stuff happens, I get that.

He looks at going to the school that just had the TE DRAFTED HIGHEST IN NFL HISTORY, and who obviously has an open starting spot. Makes perfect sense, could come in and start right away, get the same training as Pitts, maybe get drafted as high or higher. After all Pitts was a 4 star, he's a 5.

But wait, suddenly he changes his mind and decides to go to a school with ANOTHER 5 STAR TE FROM HIS SAME CLASS, that just had a TE drafted in the third round. But wait, that TE was a senior transfer from FSU (so not trained at Georgia) and caught SIX PASSES IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER AT GEORGIA, even though he started 8 games for them.

SIX. PASSES.

KYLE PITTS CAUGHT 12 (12!) TOUCHDOWN PASSES IN 8 GAMES LAST YEAR, TWICE AS MANY TD'S AS TOTAL CATCHES BY THE GEORGIA TE!

So the TE position, not used so much at Georgia, and when used, not used well.

So instead of going to UF and slotting into one of the top TE positions in the COUNTRY, he decides to go to a school that doesn't throw to the TE, doesn't develop TE's, and has a 5 star guy FROM HIS CLASS with a year already in the system.

How can that be anything other than a large cash transaction?
LOL... much closer to home, family likes UGA and closeness, and the years of relationships with a few of our coaches.
Could even be the QB situation... you said it yourself last year that the lack of 2020 Spring football would hurt UGA with our new OC.
All that said, it's not a done deal yet but someone connected is expecting him enrolled this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT