ADVERTISEMENT

Non-panic Recruiting....

Naw Paco, that can't happen.

The all knowing 'consensus of idiots' will not let it happen. :confused:

'Boners Gone' also says so, cause they told him to.... :rolleyes: --- lulz :D

iG's method is to trust the millionaire life-long coaches, ahead of the low end rotating opinion chumps at the usual recruiting services. ESPN is the most professional imoho, but even they miss badly occasionally. The coaches will also have an occasional miss, but unlike the service twits, the coaches jobs depend on them making the correct recruiting decisions a large majority of the time.

The 'boner's long gone' types act like the coaches are all idiots that just draw random names out of a hat to make their selections. :rolleyes: They trust the consensus room full of idiots to get together and give them a solid opinion, since they are not competent to have their own opinions, based on their own eyes and ears. Rots-o-Ruck wid dat bucko.... :confused:

So as always, take your choice on who you want to believe.... o_O

Those with few brains of their own are always looking for someone else to do their critical thinking for them, and then to tell them how things are. They believe that some assumed authority figures will never lead them astray. Pretty funny actually... :D

So tell us BigBadBoy, is Kyle Trask really just a 2 star backup QB?
Is Kaylan Johnson a 2-3 star QB-DT, or a solid 4 star OLB?
Is Callaway a 3 star WR?
Is Lamical Perine a 3 star RB?
Is C'yontai Lewis a 2-3 star TE?
Do you actually have an opinion, or are you just another recruiting service parrot? o_O

I would ask if the final part of your post is a joke, but I know that you're incapable of that.

Beyond Callaway...what in the seven hells have those other guys done to prove they're better than their ranking?

I mean...beyond Trask and his big, meaty, physical prowess that you so enjoy.

iG's method is to trust the millionaire life-long coaches, ahead of the low end rotating opinion chumps at the usual recruiting services. ESPN is the most professional imoho, but even they miss badly occasionally. The coaches will also have an occasional miss, but unlike the service twits, the coaches jobs depend on them making the correct recruiting decisions a large majority of the time.

The 'boner's long gone' types act like the coaches are all idiots that just draw random names out of a hat to make their selections. :rolleyes: They trust the consensus room full of idiots to get together and give them a solid opinion, since they are not competent to have their own opinions, based on their own eyes and ears. Rots-o-Ruck wid dat bucko.... :confused:

So as always, take your choice on who you want to believe.... o_O

Those with few brains of their own are always looking for someone else to do their critical thinking for them, and then to tell them how things are. They believe that some assumed authority figures will never lead them astray. Pretty funny actually... :D

So tell us BigBadBoy, is Kyle Trask really just a 2 star backup QB?
Is Kaylan Johnson a 2-3 star QB-DT, or a solid 4 star OLB?
Is Callaway a 3 star WR?
Is Lamical Perine a 3 star RB?
Is C'yontai Lewis a 2-3 star TE?
Do you actually have an opinion, or are you just another recruiting service parrot? o_O

Yes, Callaway looks to have been underrated. But Trask, has not even suited up for a game yet. Perine as well. Lewis has done nothing to this point either. You are just making shit up.

And as for millionaire coaches, I like the views of Championship coaches, Saban, Meyer, etc. when we win guys at the top with offers from every major program I will be excited. Right now you are operating on the premise that Mac is smarter than everyone of those guys, lol

I don't think including Calloway as 'underrated' is really accurate. He was a 4-star recruit on Rivals. And he got that ranking even though he missed almost his entire senior season...that's how good he was because most guys would have dropped in the rankings missing so much time. He had offers from the Big 3 in-state and then schools like Auburn and UGA too. That's hardly some no-name guy. The other recruits listed are TBD.

Yes, Callaway looks to have been underrated. But Trask, has not even suited up for a game yet. Perine as well. Lewis has done nothing to this point either. You are just making shit up.

And as for millionaire coaches, I like the views of Championship coaches, Saban, Meyer, etc. when we win guys at the top with offers from every major program I will be excited. Right now you are operating on the premise that Mac is smarter than everyone of those guys, lol
Saban offered Kadarius Toney. Toney can play as well.

Kyle was a rivals 2 star.
Trask is a Nuss 5 star.
Take your pick on which to believe. o_O

Kyle was a rivals 2 star.
Trask is a Nuss 5 star.
Take your pick on which to believe. o_O

So you are certain that Trask will start in the Fall. Obviously Nuss would have his 5 star guy start over the other guys that also haven't started.

So you are certain that Trask will start in the Fall. Obviously Nuss would have his 5 star guy start over the other guys that also haven't started.

That's just as stupid and as trollish as the nole-lick criminole twit that posted it,,,
JMOHO of course. o_O -- :p

If I'm just making shit up, then what are the recruiting service rankings based on?
Shit made up by them, or previous history of the player/person? o_O
You just might be full of what you claim that I'm making up... :cool:
------------
Trask and Perine both have their HS performance to stand on.

QB-PP Trask threw for 70+%, 16 TD's to ZERO Int's, plus he ran for a TD.
RB Perine was the Alabama 7A HS Back of the Year. (Saban tried to flip him)

In 2015 Lewis was injured and the 3rd TE behind 6th year Sr McGee, and Goolsby.
Still, in his rsFr season, TE Lewis had 4 catches for 75 yards and 2 TD's on just 2 starts.
In the 2016 Spring game he was the leading receiver with 5 receptions.
----------------

Defense minded Saban got those NC's all on his own. o_O

Nussmeier = 1 NC as Saban's OC, taking over when Mc left for ColoSt.

McElwain = 2 NC's as Saban's OC
MWC Coach of the Year in 2014 as the ColoSt HBC.
Expected to win 7 games at best in 2015, projected #5 finish in the SECe.
Finished at 10-4, 7-1 SECe-C.

Proving that both are incompetent idiots with no football futures.... :rolleyes:

When Saban and Meyer go someplace like a SCa and win 11 games in 3 consecutive seasons, then I'll be impressed with their coaching skills. :cool:

Right now, you're looking/sounding dumber than a rock to me... :confused:

That's just as stupid and as trollish as the nole-lick criminole twit that posted it,,,
JMOHO of course. o_O -- :p

While your juvenile name calling was entirely expected, what I find both stupid and telling from that post is that Insta would not own his post and answer the question. Sort of a definition of troll right there.

I think people ask the wrong questions with regards to recruiting. Saying that Jordon Scott is "good" doesn't really mean anything. It reminds me of the people after 2012 saying "FSU had 11 players drafted therefore....". When did the number 11 become important? Ultimately, recruiting is about winning the battle between incoming and outgoing. The important question isn't whether Jordon Scott, Jeremiah Moon, and Quincy Lenton are "good". The real question is are they adequate replacements for Caleb Brantley, Jarrad Davis, and Vernon Hargreaves? The 2016 and 2017 Drafts will see UF lose:

Hargreaves (1st rounder)
Neal (1st rounder)
Bullard (3rd rounder)
Tabor (projected 1st rounder)
Davis (projected 1st rounder)
Brantley (projected 2nd rounder)

I don't think people like BBB, Michi, and Oozie are saying the players McElwain is signing on defense suck. I think they're just pointing out that the outgoing seems greater than the incoming.

Reactions: Michi-Gator
Most agree that the top rated recruits should do well, players like these:

#2 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-3 235 *****

#1 (jc) RB Mark Thompson 6-2 228 4.38/40 ***** - EE

#3 CB #4 S Chauncey Gardner 6-0 194 **** - EE
#4 WR Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 194 ****
#6 WR (jc) Dre Massey 5-9 184 4.34/40 Jr **** - EE

Those are not the ones that are ueually in doubt, even by the doom & gloomers. It's the one's that the recruiting services have low-balled that are the questions. Those questions will only be answered in the next year or two,,, or maybe longer for a few late-bloomers. These are the players that are the difference between recruit rankers and our coaches.

McStaff's first Gator class in 2015 / the low-ballers (5.3 > 5.5): (per rivals)

DE/DT Jabari Zuniga 6-3 265 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr DE 6-3 240 - With a high speed, day long motor.

DE Kevonnis Davis 6-4 225 ** 5.4
Now - Soph 6-4 244 - tFr GP 4, 4 Tkls. - He played on the #8 Def as a 2 star tFr.

DE Luke Ancrum 6-5 230 ** 5.4
Now - rsFr 6-5 257 - Has made good progress, will join the playing rotation for 2016.

LB Rayshad Jackson 6-1 205 ** 5.3
Now - rsFr 6-0 220 - Has made good progress, will likely join the playing rotation for 2016.

OL Fred Johnson 6-8 285 *** 5.5
Now - Soph RT 6-6 315 - GP 8, GS 2 as a tFr

OG/DT Nick Buchanan 6-4 285 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr OG 6-2 309

OT/DT Richerd Desir-Jones 6-3 292 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr OT/OG 6-4 297

OL Brandon Sandifer 6-3 332 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr OG 6-3 339

WR Kalif Jackson 6-4 202 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr WR 6-4 215 - A true Fr SEC Academic Honor Roller

Of the lowest ranked 2015 recruits, 2 of the 9 played as true Fr.
And the best news is that none have been in trouble, classroom or town.

======

Mc-Staff's 2nd class in 2016 / the rating low-ballers (5.3 > 5.5): (per rivals)

DB Joseph Putu 6-2 195 ** 5.4 (flipped from Ark)
Now - A JuCo AA that arrives in summer, with 10 Int's in 2015
Putu won state championships all 3 years of HS, he earned All-State as a Jr & Sr. He was also recognized as 2nd-team All-State in basketball and All-State as a runner on the track team.

K Eddy Pinero 6-1 180 *** 5.5 -- That's a joke recruit ranking imo. - EE (flipped from Bama)
Now - 6-0 183 - Spring game: 3 of 5, both misses from over 50 yds, made 46, 52, 56 (record) kicks.

QB-PP Kyle Trask 6-6 212 ** 5.3 - EE
Now - 6-4 228 Fr - He did very well in the Spring, According to Tabor, "Kyle throws the 'prettiest' ball. In practice I tried to 'bait-him' but he ended up 'baiting-me' instead with a perfect throw over my head."

CB/RB McArthur Burnett 6-1 180 *** 5.5 - EE - FL 1A HS 1st Team
Now - 5-9 172 - He seems a bit under-sized, but he apparently did well in the Spring.

OG Jawaan Taylor 6-4 347 *** 5.5
Now - Summer Arrival - If correct, that is 'play now' size.

CB C. McWilliams 5-11 163 *** 5.5 - need the training table & weight room.
Now - Summer Arrival. He eventually adds still more depth for the secondary.

Mc-staff's 2016 class set a UF record with 13 EE's, (3 were top rated JuCo's).

Everyone is of course always free to believe whatever they want to...

Most agree that the top rated recruits should do well, players like these:

#2 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-3 235 *****

#1 (jc) RB Mark Thompson 6-2 228 4.38/40 ***** - EE

#3 CB #4 S Chauncey Gardner 6-0 194 **** - EE
#4 WR Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 194 ****
#6 WR (jc) Dre Massey 5-9 184 4.34/40 Jr **** - EE

Those are not the ones that are ueually in doubt, even by the doom & gloomers. It's the one's that the recruiting services have low-balled that are the questions. Those questions will only be answered in the next year or two,,, or maybe longer for a few late-bloomers. These are the players that are the difference between recruit rankers and our coaches.

McStaff's first Gator class in 2015 / the low-ballers (5.3 > 5.5): (per rivals)

DE/DT Jabari Zuniga 6-3 265 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr DE 6-3 240 - With a high speed, day long motor.

DE Kevonnis Davis 6-4 225 ** 5.4
Now - Soph 6-4 244 - tFr GP 4, 4 Tkls. - He played on the #8 Def as a 2 star tFr.

DE Luke Ancrum 6-5 230 ** 5.4
Now - rsFr 6-5 257 - Has made good progress, will join the playing rotation for 2016.

LB Rayshad Jackson 6-1 205 ** 5.3
Now - rsFr 6-0 220 - Has made good progress, will likely join the playing rotation for 2016.

OL Fred Johnson 6-8 285 *** 5.5
Now - Soph RT 6-6 315 - GP 8, GS 2 as a tFr

OG/DT Nick Buchanan 6-4 285 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr OG 6-2 309

OT/DT Richerd Desir-Jones 6-3 292 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr OT/OG 6-4 297

OL Brandon Sandifer 6-3 332 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr OG 6-3 339

WR Kalif Jackson 6-4 202 *** 5.5
Now - rsFr WR 6-4 215 - A true Fr SEC Academic Honor Roller

Of the lowest ranked 2015 recruits, 2 of the 9 played as true Fr.
And the best news is that none have been in trouble, classroom or town.

======

Mc-Staff's 2nd class in 2016 / the rating low-ballers (5.3 > 5.5): (per rivals)

DB Joseph Putu 6-2 195 ** 5.4 (flipped from Ark)
Now - A JuCo AA that arrives in summer, with 10 Int's in 2015
Putu won state championships all 3 years of HS, he earned All-State as a Jr & Sr. He was also recognized as 2nd-team All-State in basketball and All-State as a runner on the track team.

K Eddy Pinero 6-1 180 *** 5.5 -- That's a joke recruit ranking imo. - EE (flipped from Bama)
Now - 6-0 183 - Spring game: 3 of 5, both misses from over 50 yds, made 46, 52, 56 (record) kicks.

QB-PP Kyle Trask 6-6 212 ** 5.3 - EE
Now - 6-4 228 Fr - He did very well in the Spring, According to Tabor, "Kyle throws the 'prettiest' ball. In practice I tried to 'bait-him' but he ended up 'baiting-me' instead with a perfect throw over my head."

CB/RB McArthur Burnett 6-1 180 *** 5.5 - EE - FL 1A HS 1st Team
Now - 5-9 172 - He seems a bit under-sized, but he apparently did well in the Spring.

OG Jawaan Taylor 6-4 347 *** 5.5
Now - Summer Arrival - If correct, that is 'play now' size.

CB C. McWilliams 5-11 163 *** 5.5 - need the training table & weight room.
Now - Summer Arrival. He eventually adds still more depth for the secondary.

Mc-staff's 2016 class set a UF record with 13 EE's, (3 were top rated JuCo's).

Everyone is of course always free to believe whatever they want to...
I just wanna know how the hell Fred Johnson and nick Buchanan shrunk 2 inches

I just wanna know how the hell Fred Johnson and nick Buchanan shrunk 2 inches

The listed Ht/Wt from the rivals recruiting site.
Now = The official Ht/Wt from their Gator Roster Bio.

~ The difference shows some of the Ht/Wt inaccuracy of the recruit ranking services. o_O

Mc-staff's latest 2017 commit:
NT/DT Jordon Scott 6-1 345 *** 5.6 - Largo, FL (per rivals)

I couldn't get the article's link to work so here's the 'Tampa Bay Times' article.

Take Pinellas Park's Jordon Scott lightly at your own peril

PINELLAS PARK — Jordon Scott has always been big. He's the kid teachers put in the back row for class pictures. In pee-wee football leagues, he's the one coaches move up because he's too big to play with kids his own age.

Ever since he can remember, his nickname has been "Fat Mac."

So in 2013, as a 290-pound freshman at Pinellas Park High, it's no wonder Scott didn't last long on the junior varsity. Patriots coach Kenny Crawford does not like to move freshmen from junior varsity to varsity. In fact, he'd never done it in his six years as head coach. But when Nate Rivera was suspended for fighting with three games left in the regular season, Scott got the call to start on the defensive line.

He played five games that season, including two playoff games.

"He's the only freshman starter I've ever had," Crawford said. "And he's the only junior varsity player I've had who has come up and played on the defensive line as a freshman in the 20 years I've coached (as a head or assistant coach). In fact, my JV coaches tried to hide him from me. They didn't want to give him up."

Now a 6-foot-2, 350-pound junior, Scott is a secret no longer. He leads the team with 51 tackles in six games. In the last game against Lakewood, Scott had nine tackles (five for a loss) and a sack. :eek:

At first glance, Scott doesn't look like he can move fast. That was exactly the first impression some of his teammates had when they saw him on campus.

"Slow. Unathletic," senior linebacker Nate DeMint said. "I didn't think he was going to be any good. But as soon as we started, he was balling."

Scott admits he doesn't make a very good first impression. He does indeed look slow and unathletic.

"I'd prefer people to think that," he said. ;)

Aside from being a good football player, Scott is also a good student. He has a 3.8 grade-point average and has straight As this semester. But grades were not always high on his list.

Scott said he was only an average student until seventh grade. It wasn't that he couldn't do the work, it was mostly because he kept getting referrals for goofing off in class. Then the light bulb came on.

"About late seventh grade I realized that I might be good enough in football to do something with my life," Scott said. "I could have a chance to not only play in the NFL, which is my dream, but to do something else in life. The chance of playing in the NFL is slim, so I have to have a backup plan.

"I started realizing that being bad isn't going to get you anywhere. My mom told some things and I started to turn it around. …The referrals stopped and my grades went up from Bs to As."

Scott also realized that with good grades and good football come college opportunities. So far, he has offers from Florida Atlantic, Southeast Missouri State and Navy. He has interest from other schools, like Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Miami. "Interest is nothing, I'd like to hear the offer," Scott said. "But it's good to know those schools are watching."

Scott said he would love to play for an Ivy League school, but he is keeping all of his options open. Wherever he ends up, he said he would like to major in science, with an emphasis on biology. He would also like to minor in culinary arts.

It is perhaps a cliche that a 350-pounder likes to cook and eat, but Scott said he is a very good in the kitchen. His grandmother, Elois Scott, taught him to cook at a young age. His specialty is cubed steak, cabbage and cornbread pancakes. The one thing he could eat at every meal is collard greens. "My grandmother taught me how to cook them," Scott said. "She makes them for me after every game."

If his first dream of playing in the NFL doesn't work out, Scott said he has another goal. He would like to one day open up his own restaurant and perhaps have a chain like Lee Roy Selmon's.

And lately, Scott has been in good moods after games. The Patriots are 5-1 heading into a must-win game tonight against district rival St. Petersburg. Scott will be counted on to bring pressure against the Green Devils, who boast a very good running attack. His teammates have no doubt he will come through.

"He's mean and aggressive," senior quarterback/linebacker Nick Hernandez said. "He takes it very seriously. And he's a good player to have if you are a linebacker because we barely get touched back there."
==============

I see that with Saban's offer, rivals upgraded their 2 star ranking of Toney to a 3 star. Typical... :rolleyes: (while ESPN has had him as a 4 star Top 300 all along) :cool:

Last edited:
By this logic, every kid a coach takes is a 5-star. So even the coaches who consistently lose have nothing but 5-star players on their teams. Brilliant.

By that kind of crap, you show that you possess no logic, or even any common sense.o_O

Trask is the ONLY recruit that Nuss said was as good or better than any 5 star QB he'd seen in the 2016 class. (my sometimes brilliance vs your obvious idiocy) :p

Seriously Slim you need to understand that to certain posters numbers are actually say a "range" rather than a specific.

Actually Slim, you need to realize that their are brain-dead nol-lick trolls here that love to spout off, but are generally clueless about numbers or most anything else... :cool:

Actually Slim, you need to realize that their are brain-dead nol-lick trolls here that love to spout off, but are generally clueless about numbers or most anything else... :cool:

Instead of your ongoing juvenile rants, why not just explain to Slim how you make up the numbers you post? If you'd like I could slowly explain for you, Ozzie's satire post on 5 star players since you apparently completely failed to pick it up and called it crap.

Please keep on joining him in barkin' at da moon. I really enjoy watching that, along with seeing you get dizzy chasing your tails... :cool:

And hey, yawl keep forgetting to rant on some more about my use of the board provided emoticon's... :confused:

By that kind of crap, you show that you possess no logic, or even any common sense.o_O

Trask is the ONLY recruit that Nuss said was as good or better than any 5 star QB he'd seen in the 2016 class. (my sometimes brilliance vs your obvious idiocy) :p

Uh yea I think it is you that missed the point, unsurprisingly. You're attempting to make the argument that only coaches evaluations matter, as if they are all knowing and never miss. You picked the example of Nuss and Trask to make that point.

So logically, any coach a player takes is a 5-star in their eyes, why else would they put them on scholarship? Taken to the most logical extreme, every kid on every roster is a 5-star since the coaches hand picked them. And since coaches evaluations are all that matter, how can anyone ever make the argument as to whether a coach recruited well or not? Of course you know this argument is idiotic, but it's all you have left. At least I hope you know, otherwise...

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Uh yea I think it is you that missed the point, unsurprisingly. You're attempting to make the argument that only coaches evaluations matter, as if they are all knowing and never miss. You picked the example of Nuss and Trask to make that point.

So logically, any coach a player takes is a 5-star in their eyes, why else would they put them on scholarship? Taken to the most logical extreme, every kid on every roster is a 5-star since the coaches hand picked them. And since coaches evaluations are all that matter, how can anyone ever make the argument as to whether a coach recruited well or not? Of course you know this argument is idiotic, but it's all you have left. At least I hope you know, otherwise...

Throwing logic at Insta is like throwing pearls before swine....

Yap - Yap - Yap --- Bark - Bark - Bark --- zzzzzzzzz :confused:
(trolls and idiots, please continue, it's still marginally amusing) :cool:

And now, back to the actual thread topic. :rolleyes:

DT Javier Edwards 6-3 350 4.90/40 *** - Brenharn, TX - JuCo (per 247) 2017 EE
He was being recruited by UF's DC Collins (while at MsSt) coming out of HS.
I don't much care where about their current recruit rankings are. The 2 new (big-boy) DT recruits are going to solidify UF's interior line nicely at the new 'position of need' imo. One or 2 more big DT's in this class later on would also be nice, along with 2-3 of quality LB'ers.

BTW, checking around the net, I've seen Edwards listed everywhere from 320 to 350, so I wonder who is most current and/or correct?
(rivals lists 320 - 247 lists 350, so always trust those rival's rankings) :confused:

Well why do you care about their rankings anyway? Just use your rankings, those are the only ones that matter after all.

Well why do you care about their rankings anyway? Just use your rankings, those are the only ones that matter after all.

I point out that their bio's and their stars are often far apart, to emphasize the need to trust the Gator coaches judgments on their recruits. o_O

But hey, whatever I post always seems to matter to you and your usual circle-jerk of friends... :confused:

And shouldn't you be over posting on that recruiting-panic thread, instead of here blow-harding on mine? :oops:

iG's Comment of the Week -- Jim Hardblow is a meat-chicken 'used car' salesman.
Recruits that buy into the meat-chicken 'has-been's bs' that he's sellin' will deserve what they end up with...

Joe Haden - Vernon Hargreaves III - Jalen Tabor - Next Up --- ?Shaun Wade?

UF, or some rusted out, has-been's northern phooball factory?

Of the 55 UF 2016 Spring student/athlete graduates, 69% of them were part of a National and/or SEC-C team during their Gator careers. Also, 14 of them earned All American honors, and 15 of them claimed NCAA Individual Titles. Five (5) of them have already earned their Master's degrees, and 10 of them will graduate cum laude. Academic All-SEC honors were earned by 41 of the 55 Spring graduates during their Florida careers.

I point out that their bio's and their stars are often far apart, to emphasize the need to trust the Gator coaches judgments on their recruits. o_O

But hey, whatever I post always seems to matter to you and your usual circle-jerk of friends... :confused:

And shouldn't you be over posting on that recruiting-panic thread, instead of here blow-harding on mine? :oops:

Why do you trust Mac's recruiting the lower star guys so much? What has he done as a HC before?

Why do you trust Mac's recruiting the lower star guys so much? What has he done as a HC before?

Picked to finish with 7 wins at best and 4-5th in the SECe.:confused:
(because of the cluster-ph left by musclecramp)

Actually finished with 10 wins overall, and as the 7-1 SECe-C.o_O
(defying all predictions and even fan expectations)

So obviously, not a thing.... :rolleyes:

For the rest of the 'what's he done as a coach' story, go look/read for yourself. :cool:
http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=473&path=football

Brought CSU back from the dirt.
Had some true freshmen (Jordan's Callaway, F. Johnson) contribute to a 10 win season when majority picked them to win 7 games at best in year one at UF.

Recruited a pretty much unknown in the southeast SS from Texas who converted to LB, who was the Spring Game standout and slated to start as a RS Freshmen.

For those to lazy to use the link, how about these (tip of the iceberg) facts:

~ McElwain was voted the SEC Coach of the Year by his peers and the media, becoming the only coach in school history to garner both awards in his debut season at UF.
(Spurrier didn't, Meyer didn't)

~ McElwain led the Gators to a 10-4 overall record last season, making him the 1st coach in Florida football history to win 10 games in his inaugural campaign.

~ Becoming just the 3rd Head Coach in SEC History to play for the SEC-C in his 1st season.

~ Even with the obvious cluster that he was left with, during the regular season Florida improved from a 6-5 mark in 2014 to an 10-2 regular season in 2015, shattering all expectations.

~ As bad as his QB/OL/WR situation was, McElwain ushered in a passing attack that became only the fifth Gator squad since 1996 to throw at least 20 TD passes and fewer than 11 Ints.

This kind of stuff continues for pages at the link.... o_O

http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=473&path=football

Yes Mac is a very good X and O guy. Now tell us what that has to do with recruiting, which is probably the lone criticism anyone could have at this point.

Brought CSU back from the dirt.
Had some true freshmen (Jordan's Callaway, F. Johnson) contribute to a 10 win season when majority picked them to win 7 games at best in year one at UF.

Recruited a pretty much unknown in the southeast SS from Texas who converted to LB, who was the Spring Game standout and slated to start as a RS Freshmen.

This is all pretty minimal. Most coaches have some 3 stars who over perform and vice versa. That is very common. I mean to be fair, the last paragraph here tells it all in reference to the spring game standpoint. That's pretty minor. It's a spring game. That means nothing in the big picture.

My point is, recruiting rankings haven't really changed. Nobody wins national championships without top classes year in and year out. Mac has done nothing to prove he can buck that trend and recruit at a lower level and still win championships. He hasn't done anything too "big time" yet. His biggest feat is probably winning a few more games than predicted last year. It could go the opposite this year. Then what? Does that make him a bad coach?

In the end, it's you being a fan of the team that is leading to you being so supportive of Mac's subpar recruiting, and that is ok. Let's just be clear, that it's nothing he's done in the past to show he can win a ring by recruiting like this. He needs to do better. Just because of Calloway or whoever; He's still not recruiting magical three stars, sorry. Some over perform, some under perform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT