ADVERTISEMENT

Non-panic Recruiting....

That was a very nice pick up tonight. I figured we had him but it feels better having it confirmed. Between Wilson and Blades we nabbed a nice pair of corners. I know we want at least one more and might even take two if we could get the right ones.

Hopefully James Robinson will pull the trigger for the good guys soon. We need to continue the process of upgrading the talent in the WR Corps.

Reactions: oozie7
That was a very nice pick up tonight. I figured we had him but it feels better having it confirmed. Between Wilson and Blades we nabbed a nice pair of corners. I know we want at least one more and might even take two if we could get the right ones.

Hopefully James Robinson will pull the trigger for the good guys soon. We need to continue the process of upgrading the talent in the WR Corps.
James Robinson has some work to Do and clean up his act a bit first.

Seriously? Good thing your not a coach then. Yes we need OL and DT but you just don't stop loading up at other position as well. And yes one of them should be a DT.

Marco Wilson to popped to UF tonight and this recruiting class is looking really good right now.

This was a great get. No doubt

At this point, let Robinson go. No more trouble right now. Flip Leatherwod

Let Mc-staff continue with their jobs, cause they are loo-king-gud so far.

UF is already up to 13 members in what is expected to be a smaller 2017 class, and nine of them are rated 4-star prospects by at least two recruiting services, with 2 of the other 4 being monster size DT's, (for those that need the recruiting service nerds approval). ;) -- :D

DB-U losses two more 1st rounders to the NFL in VH3 and Freakizoid Neal.
However, they have AA safety Marcus Maye and Quincy Wilson for 2016, and Elijah Blades and Marco Wilson coming in the 2017 class. All appears well for the Gator's secondary. :cool:
=============

#14 CB Marco Wilson 6-0 180 **** 5.9 - Plantation, FL (129/150)
Offers: UF - UA, Ark, AU, UK, MsSt, SCa.
Clem,
Colo, Mia, Mich, tOSU, NC, USF, Wis, etc.
==========

The state of the 2016 lines, according to iG... :)
Starting DL:

DE Bryan Cox Jr 6-3 260 rsSr
-- Jabari Zuniga 5-3 240 rsFr
DT Caleb Brantley 6-2 300 rsJr -- Andrew Ivie 6-1 278 rsFr
NT Khairi Clark 6-2 326 rsSo
DT Joey Ivie 6-3 290 Sr
-- Taven Bryan 6-5 293 rsSo
DE CeCe Jefferson 6-1 270 So -- Anotonneous Clayton 6-3 227 Fr
RUSH Jordan Sherit 6-4 251 rsJr -- Justus Reed 6-3 242 rsSo
DL Keivonnis Davis 6-4 244 So
DL Luke Ancrum 6-5 257 rsFr
DL Jachai Polite 6-2 262 Fr
DL Jordan Smith 6-5 238
----------------------

Starting OL:

LT David Sharpe 6-6 347 Jr -- Marcel Benalcazar 6=7 333 Sr
LG Tyler Jordan 6-4 295 So - Andrew Mike 6-6 303 rsSo
C Cameron Dillard 6-4 308 rsJr - TJ McCoy 6-1 295 rsFr
RG Antonio Riles 6-4 311 rsJr - Kavaris Harkless 6-5 307 rsSo
RT Martez Ivey 6-5 312 So -- Fred Johnson 6-6 315 So
LS Ryan Farr 6-0 220 So -- Jonathan Haney 6-2 225 rsSr
OL Zach Shinn 6-2 287 rsSo
OL Nick Buchanan 6-2 309 rsFr
OL Richerd Desir-Jones 6-4 297 rsFr
OL Marcus Givens 6-0 272 rsFr
OL Nick Villano 6-2 293 rsFr
OL Stone Forsythe 6-7 314 Fr
OL Brett Heggie 6-3 325 Fr
OL Jawaan Taylor 6-5 339 Fr
---------------

TE DeAndre Goolsby 6-4 240 Jr
TE C'yontai Lewis 6-4 230 rsSo

TE Moral Stephens 6-3 247 rsSo
TE Camrin Knight 6-3 237 So
- TE/QB Ryan Ferguson 6-3 219 rsSo
- TE/QB Brian Fallace 6-4 210 rsSo

Mc-staff has filled in the gaping holes and continues to recruit well imo.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
We nees quality OL. Several. Going to be work to hold Telfort

I agree. OL and DT are my two biggest areas of concern. We do still need to work on replenishing the receiver corps though. Robinson and one more stud like DPJ would really fit the bill.

With Holley and Andrew Ivie's careers over now, I'm sure we will take the full 25 in this class.

I really hated to see Holley and Andrew Ivie's career's over before really getting started. Jus-damn! :(

I thought that maybe they would move Martez to RT, but Fred Johnson remaining at RT with Martex at LG also looks like a good plan.

Some moving around during the season usually happens, so we'll see how things shake out over the course of the season... :cool:

I agree. OL and DT are my two biggest areas of concern. We do still need to work on replenishing the receiver corps though. Robinson and one more stud like DPJ would really fit the bill.

With Holley and Andrew Ivie's careers over now, I'm sure we will take the full 25 in this class.

Getting to take a full class gives Mac an opportunity to further even out the roster. He just needa to attract some elite guys at position of need and hold the guys we have

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-to-meeting-this-years-recruiting-needs-goals

:cool:

Where did the sacks come from?
First 6 games with QB Grier, the young OL gave up 15 sacks. (2.5 sk/gm)
Last 8 games with QB Harris, the OL gave up 31 sacks. (3.9 sk/gm)

Good article Insta. Though I dislike our quality at DT and OL, the article was very informative. I was shocked to read TE was ao high on our list of needs. Like I said, I think we lack quality at DT and OL, the two most positions outside QB imo, he is doing a good job at filling out the roster. Now just a new OC and we are getting there

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Just from memory so it may not be 100% accurate, but there was a large differential in the defenses like 40% tougher for TH. That might account for part of the 1.4 sacks/gm.

Treon faced FSU, Bama and MeatChicken and I believe Vandy as well. All good defenses

The oline was also a good bit worse, though everyone blames the QB for that. For the first 5 games of the year the same started 5 combo started every game. They were still bad, but we had some consistency. Then we had some injuries and had to take redshirts off of people to get a starting 5. That, a combination of the defenses we played, and the QB are why we saw what we saw.

Reactions: miksta
The oline was also a good bit worse, though everyone blames the QB for that. For the first 5 games of the year the same started 5 combo started every game. They were still bad, but we had some consistency. Then we had some injuries and had to take redshirts off of people to get a starting 5. That, a combination of the defenses we played, and the QB are why we saw what we saw.

Nonsense. All Treon, no other factors

So tired of the OL blame being touted as the bigger problem.

If Treon could complete wide open short passes with no pressure, then I might agree with you guys a bit more.

OLs are going to be less effective in constant 3rd and longs.

Treon struggled to complete passes on 1st down when you get less pressure. His accuracy we so bad he couldn't complete short passes.

Harris has never been an accurate passer. Never. That wasn't going to change regardless of how good or bad the oline was.

In addition to all of this you can't count on him at all. Your QB can't be getting into trouble all the time and he needs to have some intangibles.

So tired of the OL blame being touted as the bigger problem.

If Treon could complete wide open short passes with no pressure, then I might agree with you guys a bit more.

OLs are going to be less effective in constant 3rd and longs.

The bold...exactly.

Why were we in constant 3rd and longs? We couldn't run the ball. Even against teams like FAU with defenses ranked 100+ in the nation against the run we were averaging 3 ypc. That ain't got nothing to do with the QB, you should be able to lineup and just run at teams of that caliber and we couldn't do it. You guys are making it a Treon issue (why?) when the same things were true earlier in the year against teams like UK and I pointed it out then. The oline isn't an excuse for Treon's performance as a passer but their performance without a doubt hurt the offense. Teams win with bad QB's and good olines all the time because a good oline allows them to take the pressure off the QB.

Look no further than Alabama. Through much of the season Coker had a worst QBR than Treon and at one point had a worse completion % and TD/INT ratio but the offense move the ball anyway, why? Because they could hand it to Henry 40 times a game and not rely on Coker to do anything. It wasn't until the second half of the year that Coker stopped being awful and the offense took another step. People forget he was benched once during the year. It was the exact same thing with Sims from the year before. Yes Sims...the guy who was a RB for 3 years and completed like 20% of his passes in their spring game. QB's look much better when they don't have to actually do much of anything.

Hell in 2011 we went 11-1 with a QB that passed for all of 1600 yards and routinely missed receivers. Why? Could line up and pound people on the ground. People sold out to stop the run and we ran it anyway. Why? Good oline. We were never gonna have a really good offense with Treon, but if the oline wasn't a disaster the offense as a whole would have been a lot better in spite of who the QB was.

Everbody focuses on our QB's from Brantley to Driskel to Brissett to Murphy. They've all looked better elsewhere. And one large part of that has been our attrocious oline since 2010. 2011 and 2014 are the only two good years I remember. No oline, no good offense. If they don't get dramatically better I'll be here saying the same things about Del Rio.

Newsflash, if we can't run the ball again this year del Rio is going to suck too. Treon was bad, no one is denying that. But it isn't that simple

The bold...exactly.

Why were we in constant 3rd and longs? We couldn't run the ball. Even against teams like FAU with defenses ranked 100+ in the nation against the run we were averaging 3 ypc. That ain't got nothing to do with the QB, you should be able to lineup and just run at teams of that caliber and we couldn't do it. You guys are making it a Treon issue (why?) when the same things were true earlier in the year against teams like UK and I pointed it out then. The oline isn't an excuse for Treon's performance as a passer but their performance without a doubt hurt the offense. Teams win with bad QB's and good olines all the time because a good oline allows them to take the pressure off the QB.

Look no further than Alabama. Through much of the season Coker had a worst QBR than Treon and at one point had a worse completion % and TD/INT ratio but the offense move the ball anyway, why? Because they could hand it to Henry 40 times a game and not rely on Coker to do anything. It wasn't until the second half of the year that Coker stopped being awful and the offense took another step. People forget he was benched once during the year. It was the exact same thing with Sims from the year before. Yes Sims...the guy who was a RB for 3 years and completed like 20% of his passes in their spring game. QB's look much better when they don't have to actually do much of anything.

When teams are not scared in the least of your QB, and load the box and invite Treon to throw, has a lot to do with the QB. Is it all on Treon? No. When a defense designs a game plan around stopping Kelvin and not really worry about the back end then it is up to the QB to try and loosen up that defense a bit. They needed to establish the pass at least somewhat in order to back away some of the defenders from rushing the gaps at the onset of the snap.

Newsflash, if we can't run the ball again this year del Rio is going to suck too. Treon was bad, no one is denying that. But it isn't that simple
He won't suck as bad as Treon because he is a much more accurate passer and he will actually spend time in the film room and he will be somebody the team and coaches can rely on that won't get into trouble all the time.

When teams are not scared in the least of your QB, and load the box and invite Treon to throw, has a lot to do with the QB. Is it all on Treon? No. When a defense designs a game plan around stopping Kelvin and not really worry about the back end then it is up to the QB to try and loosen up that defense a bit. They needed to establish the pass at least somewhat in order to back away some of the defenders from rushing the gaps at the onset of the snap.

We couldn't run the ball with Grier either. I believe the stats showed we were something like 104th in the nation running at the time he was suspended, with a healthier oline. That's glossed over because we moved the ball against bad defenses in the air. What you say is correct but the oline was just as bad, at least opening up the run, independent of who the QB was.

And it's really a myth that teams stacked the box against us because of no threat to throw. We couldn't run against base fronts, why would they need to stack the box? We had a QB that couldn't throw and an oline that couldn't run or pass block, the cheapest way to give up points is to be over aggressive and have a play happen over your head. Teams mostly played us very conservatively and sat back in zone. Then on 3rd down depending on distance they'd overwhelm us or drop 7 and 8 knowing we couldn't block their base front, which is also why the QB always held the ball. There's 7 or 8 covering 4.

Either way I'm not trying to get sucked into this debate again. My initial post was about the line so I'll finish there...they need to be much better or Del Rio or whoever else will have the same issues. Good news is that they should be better. Should.

Last edited:
Treon is a headcase. Had no business playing QB at a Major D1 college program. Period. Unforrunately we had to play him. He wouldn't even be a QB at UF if he was still on the team this year.

He won't suck as bad as Treon because he is a much more accurate passer and he will actually spend time in the film room and he will be somebody the team and coaches can rely on that won't get into trouble all the time.

I agree with you, just need to prepare that game managers only work of the running game, defense and special teams are all clicking. Bama always get in trouble when they have to score.

So Kevin didn't tie his dad's rushing touchdown record?

Lol

What a joke.

Freon had no faults.

I don't understand this response or the focus on Treon. Kelvin got his yards as a result of the number of carries he got. His yards per carry was one of the worst in the country and our run game was like 12th in the SEC. Saying the oline is bad is not some kinda excuse for Treon especially when I've said repeatedly he was bad. Idk why it has to be one or the other. They can't both be bad? What am I missing?

Nice to see things settling down with some level headed discussion, prior to the start of the season. :)

Some say it's all on the QB(s).
I wish that TH has stayed where he belonged (FSUcks), and I said that after his 1st (of 3) incidents.
His 'team leadership skills' were even worse than his QB ability imo.

Some say it's all on the OL, (only 6 ship OL in the 2015 Spring).

Some say they couldn't run the ball, (KT 1,000+ yds, 13 TD's).

Some say it's on the WR's with 7 consecutive different coaches.
They couldn't run a decent route, get open, or catch the ball when it hit them in the hands. Many rant about the sacks, while totally ignoring the 20+ dropped balls that JD suffered with in just the first 5-6 games.

I'd say that it was a 'team' problem, with Muschamp never getting a handle on the offense. As good as he was with the Gator defense, Muschamp won 11 games with the Meyer recruited offense, then lost his job with his own recruited offense and multiple OC's.

Now, as to McElwain, he inherited just 6 ship OL. He has since built up the OL to this:

This just my listing of them, 2016 playing time will depend on them and Mc-staff.

78. LT David Sharpe 6-6 357 Jr
73. LG/LT Martez Ivey 6-5 305 So
54. C/OG Camron Dillard 6-4 313 rsJr
51. RG/DT Antonio Riles 6-4 313 rsJr
74. RT Fred Johnson 6-6 311 So
~ 1,599 / 5 = 319.8 -- (310.5 Ave. without Sharpe)
----
53. LT Kavaris Harkless 6-5 310 rsSo
64. LG/C Tyler Jordan 6-4 309 So
61. C/OG Brett Heggie 6-3 317 Fr - EE - (UA-AA with fast progress)

59. RG/C T.J. McCoy 6-1 308 rsFr
77. RT Andrew Mike 6-6 301 rsSo
----
65. LT Jawaan Taylor 6-5 340 Fr - (Mc's complimented his progress 2x)

66. OG Nick Buchanan 6-2 301 rsFr
68. OG Richerd Desir-Jones 6-4 292 rsFr
67. OG Brandon Sandifer 6-3 323 rsFr
72. RT Stone Forsythe 6-7 329 Fr - EE
----
60. OG Zach Shinn 6-2 296 rsSo - WO
69. OG Marcus Givens 6-0 275 rsFr - WO
71. OG Nick Villano 6-2 301 rsFr - WO
79. OG Dallas Bruch 6-3 275 Fr - WO
63. OG Tyler McVay 6-2 275 Fr - WO
==============

As long as they don't get ate up with injuries, I don't see a problem with the 2016 OL. -- Happy Days are here again! :)

I don't understand this response or the focus on Treon. Kelvin got his yards as a result of the number of carries he got. His yards per carry was one of the worst in the country and our run game was like 12th in the SEC. Saying the oline is bad is not some kinda excuse for Treon especially when I've said repeatedly he was bad. Idk why it has to be one or the other. They can't both be bad? What am I missing?

Because it's CONSTANTLY a deflection. I do not understand the need for some to make excuses for him.

He was bad. Very bad.

And I can't imagine why the running game struggled. Our passing game couldn't complete against air.

Because it's CONSTANTLY a deflection. I do not understand the need for some to make excuses for him.

He was bad. Very bad.

And I can't imagine why the running game struggled. Our passing game couldn't complete against air.

Because Danny W couldn't have fixed our issues alone. Thats why its not put ALL in one place

Riles out foe the year.

But yeah, lets keep pretending our sub-par OL recruiting isn't an issue

Could you list the specific sub-par OL recruits for me, and what characteristic or stats that make them sub-par?
I will assume that any that are not listed are good recruits iyo.

PS

73. LG/LT Martez Ivey 6-5 305 So (took Riles place in 2nd half of 2015)
64. LG/C Tyler Jordan 6-4 309 So

66. OG Nick Buchanan 6-2 301 rsFr
68. OG Richerd Desir-Jones 6-4 292 rsFr
67. OG Brandon Sandifer 6-3 323 rsFr
61. C/OG Brett Heggie 6-3 317 Fr - EE - UA-AA
59. RG/C T.J. McCoy 6-1 308 rsFr
----
60. OG Zach Shinn 6-2 296 rsSo - WO
71. OG Nick Villano 6-2 301 rsFr - WO

And several others that could fill an OG spot.

Last edited:

He was bad. Very bad.

I agree. I'm not making millions being a coach, but my game plan against us last year was easy. Load the hell out of the box because Treon can't hit the broad side of a barn. 3rd and longs here we come and .... punt. Rinse. Repeat.

Come to think of it, I may need to put my resume in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT