ADVERTISEMENT

Who gets fired first?

Uhh........Miami(FLA) is stuck with Manny Diaz for a while.

"If UM offered (Cristobal) $7 million annually to try to entice him to leave Oregon in a five-year deal, that's $35 million," Jackson said. "It also would cost $9 million to buy out Cristobal's contract before January of 2022, or $6.5 million afterward. That and buying out the final two years and $8 million of Diaz’s contract in December would cost more than $50 million."

"We don’t have that kind of money," one trustee told Jackson.

No sh!t!

Last edited:
I don't think FSwho can afford to fire Norvell, not sure of Miami's financial position

Miami could be in bigger trouble. They have been worse for even longer and they just don’t have much money to compete with what college football has turned into today.

I think this is true. I'm not saying g fsu isn't in trouble but Miami has been this way since what? 2003? They have had a few decent seasons here and there but nothing sustainable. If fau does this for another 5 to 7 yrs, we could be in trouble as well. The Gators did this with Mac and Champ but they got out of it within that 10 yr period. It's all about recruiting

I don't think FSwho can afford to fire Norvell, not sure of Miami's financial position
We can but it's not about money, it's about recruiting. We can't fire him with the ESD where it is, we have had 4 ESDs screwed up because of coaching changes and covid where we had good classes but they fell apart. You can't keep doing that in the modern era. Let Norvell recruit (seems to be something he's decent at) and after 4 yrs, if the results aren't great or improved on the field, Fire him

We can but it's not about money, it's about recruiting. We can't fire him with the ESD where it is, we have had 4 ESDs screwed up because of coaching changes and covid where we had good classes but they fell apart. You can't keep doing that in the modern era. Let Norvell recruit (seems to be something he's decent at) and after 4 yrs, if the results aren't great or improved on the field, Fire him
You really don't have the money. COVID left a massive hole in your budget. Soon you will have to start ending the non-revenue generating sports, and if you do that with any of the women's sports, you get a Title IX problem. It's your own fault for having 80% female students. Heck, you are probably out of compliance right now, but nobody is talking about it. But close one women's sport and you will have them howling for blood. You already got 99 problems, bro. Don't self inflect any more.

What you WANT to do is give Coach dreds an extension and pay raise (structured as a lower base but higher incentives for success) as a "vote of confidence" that also reduces his buyout if he's fired. Your administration should know that, but they do such foolish things sometimes, I'm not 100% sure they do.

Uhh........Miami(FLA) is stuck with Manny Diaz for a while.

"If UM offered (Cristobal) $7 million annually to try to entice him to leave Oregon in a five-year deal, that's $35 million," Jackson said. "It also would cost $9 million to buy out Cristobal's contract before January of 2022, or $6.5 million afterward. That and buying out the final two years and $8 million of Diaz’s contract in December would cost more than $50 million."

"We don’t have that kind of money," one trustee told Jackson.

No sh!t!

This makes no sense. Diaz makes 3.1M per year, according to this article and wiki, and has a 5 year contract from 2019 - 2023. So the final two years of his contract (2022 and 2023) would total 6.2 million. Why would you buy out his contract for 9 million AND buy out the final two years for 8 million? Keep him employed at UM and relieve him of his coaching duties, and pay him the 3.1 million per year. Or maybe he would rather go coach somewhere else than sit and do nothing and you can get him to go away for a lesser payout. But let's say he opts to sit and get paid.

Pay Cristobal 7 mil per year, and for two years your coach cost is 10.1 million, then 7 million for the next three. That's a total cost of 41.2 million, spread out over the next 5 years. That would be a budgetary impact, no question, but this article makes it sound like UM would have to stroke a $50M check, and that's just way, way off.

Recruiting? Aliou Bah is being courted by at least 2 SEC and is about to flip most likely to Georgia.
LSU just extended offers to 4 star DE Trevion Williams and 3 star LB Omar Graham.
This looks to be far worse than UF's 2014 recruiting class that suffered key decommits.

Recruiting? Aliou Bah is being courted by at least 2 SEC and is about to flip most likely to Georgia.
LSU just extended offers to 4 star DE Trevion Williams and 3 star LB Omar Graham.
This looks to be far worse than UF's 2014 recruiting class that suffered key decommits.
What do we have to do to get some of these elite kids? Why are they choosing FSU or out of state? I have to think we were chasing at least some of them.

You really don't have the money. COVID left a massive hole in your budget. Soon you will have to start ending the non-revenue generating sports, and if you do that with any of the women's sports, you get a Title IX problem. It's your own fault for having 80% female students. Heck, you are probably out of compliance right now, but nobody is talking about it. But close one women's sport and you will have them howling for blood. You already got 99 problems, bro. Don't self inflect any more.

What you WANT to do is give Coach dreds an extension and pay raise (structured as a lower base but higher incentives for success) as a "vote of confidence" that also reduces his buyout if he's fired. Your administration should know that, but they do such foolish things sometimes, I'm not 100% sure they do.

This is wrong. We just raised 150 million dollars for a new weight room, new football only facility, etc. Cutting sports that are backhoes I'm OK with but I guarantee if we wanted to fire Norvell right now we have the money to do it. You guys said the same about Willie. It's just not true. Now obviously it would be a huge negative to lose that money but we made 2 phone calls to get the money for willie

This is wrong. We just raised 150 million dollars for a new weight room, new football only facility, etc. Cutting sports that are backhoes I'm OK with but I guarantee if we wanted to fire Norvell right now we have the money to do it. You guys said the same about Willie. It's just not true. Now obviously it would be a huge negative to lose that money but we made 2 phone calls to get the money for willie
Then why did the administration desperately panhandled millions just to pay off Willie?

You have raised 43 million of the 100 million dollar project. I realize it says halfway down you have reached the pledge total of 100 million, but a few paragraphs down it says 43 million has actually been raised.

We've all driven through an upscale neighborhood, typically behind security gates. As you drive down the road you see beautiful house after beautiful house. They all have nice cars, boats and other toys in the garages/driveways. These people have all done well in life and are enjoying the fruits of their labor.

But one of them is not like the others. This one has many bank loans to pay for their over indulgence. They are desperately trying to keep up. They take out loans to pay off other loans. They borrow from family and friends to keep it afloat just a little longer, believing it is all going to break their way soon. Finally, it all comes crashing down. The notes come due and they are tapped out.

This is exactly where fsu finds themselves today. They have tried to keep up in the arms race, spending where they can with the big boys, convincing themselves they are just as good. But the music is stopping for them and the bank is on it's way to the courthouse to foreclose.

Reactions: gatordad3
You have raised 43 million of the 100 million dollar project. I realize it says halfway down you have reached the pledge total of 100 million, but a few paragraphs down it says 43 million has actually been raised.

This is only a part of it. The money is secured. It's 2 separate things. We just paid for the new weight room and the we got to the 100 mill last yr I believe, then someone donated even more this yr. It's close to 150 mill total over the last 2 yr period. It's not like we don't have money, just shit bag players and coaches lol

Imagine if Dalvin Cook had gone to UF. He made Jimbo look like a better coach than he was during the first couple of post-Jameis seasons.

Reactions: fsu939913
Imagine if Dalvin Cook had gone to UF. He made Jimbo look like a better coach than he was during the first couple of post-Jameis seasons.
Muschamp would have pissed away Dalvin Cooks career had he went to UF. Cook made the right move to FSU.

Bah is a likely flip, so is woody to Auburn. Who cares if someone offers our recruits. Williams is intrigued by the LSU offer for sure and honestly I'm more worried about Ole Miss and miss state. Those 3 are the most likely to flip but that doesn't mean they will. I think we have 6 o lineman commits so if one flips, no big deal. We need DEs tho...

Is it time to add Mullen to the watch list?

Go Canes!
Are you serious? He’s bought himself at least a few years of goodwill. Diaz is probably gone after this year if not sooner if Miami can buy him out. Diaz and Mullen are not even close when it comes to their coaching acumen.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonGecko
If MUS didn't get fired for the GSU game....of course MULLEN is fine.
Mullen is fine through next season though losses to LSU and Georgia would have the seat warming up fast. The reason Mullen wont be lynched like Mac was even before the final crash is because we have at least showed a good offense in 2020 and so far in 2021. I am still holding out hope Richardson makes any talk about this next season moot.

Are you serious? He’s bought himself at least a few years of goodwill. Diaz is probably gone after this year if not sooner if Miami can buy him out. Diaz and Mullen are not even close when it comes to their coaching acumen.

Manny is terrible and if fsu beats Miami this yr it will be the reverse Taggart lol, Dan has hit a rough patch (think he is 3 and 5 in his last 8) but 2 of those are Bama (anyone loses those), one was the shoe game and then the OU game where half his team left. Context matters when looking at recent records and I don't think UF is as bad as that 3 and 5 looks when looking at it in context. Fsu is 2 and 6 over its last 8 and looks a million times worse. Honest question, do you think Mullen wants to go to the NFL? Outside perspective I think he would do great in the NFL but not sure how much he loves recruiting and the grind of college football. That's the only way I see him leaving

Manny is terrible and if fsu beats Miami this yr it will be the reverse Taggart lol, Dan has hit a rough patch (think he is 3 and 5 in his last 8) but 2 of those are Bama (anyone loses those), one was the shoe game and then the OU game where half his team left. Context matters when looking at recent records and I don't think UF is as bad as that 3 and 5 looks when looking at it in context. Fsu is 2 and 6 over its last 8 and looks a million times worse. Honest question, do you think Mullen wants to go to the NFL? Outside perspective I think he would do great in the NFL but not sure how much he loves recruiting and the grind of college football. That's the only way I see him leaving
Yes he may want to go to the NFL. My guess is the NFL doesn’t want him. Mullen is a good coach but he’s not that good although maybe he would do better in the NFL because he doesn’t have to recruit, etc.
I don’t care what Mullen did in his last 8 games right now. Like you said context matters. I care about entire body of work.

Yes he may want to go to the NFL. My guess is the NFL doesn’t want him. Mullen is a good coach but he’s not that good although maybe he would do better in the NFL because he doesn’t have to recruit, etc.
I don’t care what Mullen did in his last 8 games right now. Like you said context matters. I care about entire body of work.
Yep Mullen would probably be great as an NFL OC up in the box. He is definitely good at scheming up plays.

I can’t believe how down on Mullen some of you are. Kentucky is better than you think. Stoops is a legit coach.

When Mullens leads the team to a loss at home to an FCS team, followed by a 21 point loss to Wake, I’ll get out the Stradivarius for you.

I can’t believe how down on Mullen some of you are. Kentucky is better than you think. Stoops is a legit coach.

When Mullens leads the team to a loss at home to an FCS team, followed by a 21 point loss to Wake, I’ll get out the Stradivarius for you.
I’m not down on him as much as some others. He has a very good record so far here at UF. He’s probably the 3rd best coach UF has ever had obviously behind Meyer & Spurrier who are HOF coaches. He’s done some very good things considering what he took over from Muschamp & McElwain. He’s certainly one of the top 10 coaches in college football. I’m not sure if he is good enough to win SEC and National championships. That is what I’m not sure about. He has to recruit better and he has some coaches on staff that aren’t UF quality. He may have some tough decisions to make and not sure if he can make them (firing friends).

We watched the game.

Perhaps you should change your name to UNINFORMED_RERE

15 penalties is what lost you guys the Kentucky game, 8 false starts. Mullen is the elite of the elite at developing, gameplanning, and calling games. I would be ecstatic if he was our coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT