ADVERTISEMENT

At least you’re not John Calipari…

Mark Pope actually seems like a pretty good hire. He plays the Pitino style, has the history, loves the program, did well at BYU in a pretty good basketball league. Not the name fans were looking for im sure but hopefully he’ll get some leeway to get things going (he won’t). The one thing I’d be a little leery of is if he can recruit at that top top level. UK fans won’t put up with it if he can’t.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Mark Pope actually seems like a pretty good hire. He plays the Pitino style, has the history, loves the program, did well at BYU in a pretty good basketball league. Not the name fans were looking for im sure but hopefully he’ll get some leeway to get things going (he won’t). The one thing I’d be a little leery of is if he can recruit at that top top level. UK fans won’t put up with it if he can’t.
Recruiting is a valid concern, but when you consider the no alcohol, no tobacco and other such restrictions at BYU, it’s impressive what he has been able to recruit in talent.

He’s also going to have an impressive NIL war chest.Since the announcement, well over $4 million have been donated to NIL war chest. Since the AD’s interview yesterday, in which he shared the NIL site, the site Admins have said that the traffic to donate has been more than they can reasonably handle.

There has been a lot of frustration from fans with Cal over the last 5+ years. So I think most fans will give Mark the leeway he needs, .....but there are always about 10% of the highly vocal fans who are crazier than an outhouse rat, who wouldn’t never have been happy unless Dan Hurley had accepted, and drug up Adolph Rupp’s body from the grave using The ark of the covenant....And yes, I realize that 10% might be too low number.

Every big name wasn’t offered the job. Everybody knew Harley wasn’t coming, the big rejection was from Scott Drew. His family flew in Lexington and obviously was not enamored. I am very good with Mark Pope being the coach, he knows what the program is about at an intimate level.

Mark had a lot of restrictions with the recruiting atmosphere to BYU. It will be a lot more successful at UK
Really laughing at the more rabid part of the KY fanbase where they get their pick of the litter. i'm mormon by faith and more than understand how hard it it for BYU to recruit - I don't follow them but the Y made the tourny this year which is pretty good given the talent they have.

Pope could do really well - we'll see.

Kentucky is the basketball equivalent of Alabama/Georgia. Everybody can buy players now, so that decades long advantage is gone. Am I saying Kentucky will be bad? Of course not. They will still buy players. But they will be just another good program, which won't sit well with KY fans accustomed to always having a top 3 recruiting class and winning tons of games.

The NBA is littered (pun intended) with former Cal KY players. Guy was recruiting on a high level. As we all know, his problem was he could never get his teams to play like a team. I seriously doubt Pope will be able to match Cal's recruiting, but he may be able to have more success.

A lot of UK fans, myself included where shocked and borderline disappointed at Mark Pope being hired as UK HC.

The vast majority have come around and will support him and the program. The BBN doesn’t disappoint in its fan support:

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
A lot of UK fans, myself included where shocked and borderline disappointed at Mark Pope being hired as UK HC.

The vast majority have come around and will support him and the program. The BBN doesn’t disappoint in its fan support:

Fans always want the splash hire. Give the guy a chance - every great coach started as one that nobody knew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT