ADVERTISEMENT

At least you’re not John Calipari…

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
That was a disgrace Cat fans. A D2 Senior transfer torched you? Good thing you’re not paying him 8.5 Million a year. Best facilities and players $ can buy and you lose to 0 star recruits?

John you’re FIRED!!!!

Who said it best Trump or Vince?

Vince was the best. You could save your job if you joined the Vince McMahon KMA Club. To P.C. these days.

Gonna suck for Bama fans if this does happen. Kentucky doesn't give two Fuchs about Oats's recent extension.

Cal couldn’t give 2 fuchs about winning tourneys anymore; it’s all about who he gets into the NBA. Arky is going to get an influx of talent, but no hardware. Not sure UK is going to Brinks truck Oats, but this job is going to interest a lot of folk

Last edited:
They should just bring back Pitino. I can't see Donovan going back to coaching college again, unless he replaces our idiot AD.

Gonna suck for Bama fans if this does happen. Kentucky doesn't give two Fuchs about Oats's recent extension.

One good thing about Cal leaving for Arky is that UK is off the hook for his $33M buyout, allowing the UK Athletics Dept to spend that on buying out another coaches contract if need be.

This season was Cal’s last chance to win back the fan base and he failed miserably. UK and Cal have been in a loveless marriage for the past 3-4 years, and him leaving is in the best interest of both parties.

I don’t hate Cal the person; he’s actually a decent guy. However I’ve been ready for him to go for a few years now.

I am way way out of the loop on who our next coach will be. Make the right hire and we’ll be fine. If not…..

Reactions: gatordad3
Cal couldn’t give 2 fuchs about winning tourneys anymore; it’s all about who he gets into the NBA. Arky is going to get an influx of talent, but no hardware. Not sure UK is going to Brinks truck Oats, but this job is going to interest a lot of folk
Remember in his first or second year when we had five guys get drafted in the first round of the NBA draft? He called it the greatest night in the history of UK basketball…. As if our previous seven championships meant little in comparison. That chapped a lot of asses in the fan base.

With all of the talent we brought in, it’s telling that we only won one national title during his time here. And that was due in large part to having an exceptional talent protecting the rim (Anthony Davis).

Remember in his first or second year when we had five guys get drafted in the first round of the NBA draft? He called it the greatest night in the history of UK basketball…. As if our previous seven championships meant little in comparison. That chapped a lot of asses in the fan base.

With all of the talent we brought in, it’s telling that we only won one national title during his time here. And that was due in large part to having an exceptional talent protecting the rim (Anthony Davis).
What also helped that team win a title that year was most, if not all the freshmen from the previous season decided to return in fear of a potential lockout. There was a sophomore, I believe Jones was his last name, who literally took most of the pressure off Davis. There was just no beating that 2012 Kentucky team.

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
I personally like Cal a lot - he had a good run at Mass and now KY, but it was time to leave. He'll do well at ARky - they are a good basketball school with a good coach.

Heard on the intraweb that Cal is best friends with the Tyson chicke guy...so that's the in.

I personally like Cal a lot - he had a good run at Mass and now KY, but it was time to leave. He'll do well at ARky - they are a good basketball school with a good coach.

Heard on the intraweb that Cal is best friends with the Tyson chicke guy...so that's the in.
He’s probably in good with Tyson, because he’s p!ssed off all the big $$$ donors at KY

This is good for Cal, as he has a whole new group of people’s asses he can blow smoke up…..most Kentuckians have been burping smoke for a long time now

Be careful what you wish for. I doubt Billy D or Hurley would take the job. Oats would be a good hire, but the rest of the candidates don’t strike me as definite improvements over Cal.

Be careful what you wish for. I doubt Billy D or Hurley would take the job. Oats would be a good hire, but the rest of the candidates don’t strike me as definite improvements over Cal.
If they can coach and want to actually win games, and give a damn about tournaments, then I think it’ll be an improvement

Why would Hurly leave? Uconn is are about to be back-to-back and pass Duke for all time Nattys I think (or close lol).

Uconn is a way better job and he's ROLLING right now. Why start over. Honeslty - KY isn't as good a job right now.

And I doubt money will do it - he's making $5 mill + and will probably get a raise. You start making that much money and your personal happiness means way more than making even more imo.

It's too bad Billy D just had to scratch that itch to try the NBA. If he had stayed at Florida he could have become one of the all time winningest coaches like Knight or Mike K.
I don't think Billy D regrets leaving. With a roster he can build on, he is capable of winning an NBA championship. Having Lonzo Ball injury prone didn't help.

I also believe he doesn't miss recruiting and the limits on when and how he can contact and practice with his roster. He always pointed out the NBA didn't have limits with workouts and practices. He also said in the NBA it's basketball 24/7.

Walking your dog on a stroller? Now I understand why the alpha KY fans want his ass out of the entire state, or at least out of Lexington.

images

john-calipari-declines-to-comment-on-arkansas-job-while-walking-dog.jpg

I miss the days when the Kentucky fans laughed at us and Billy Donovan. I can't remember the poster from the early 2000's who kept a quote on his sig stating Billy D is nothing but a flash in the pan. About 5 years later, there was no way he turns them down, about 3 times.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Yeah that was a funny running subplot when Billy D was supposedly always looking at horse farms around Lexington in the offseason.

I’m sure Pitino is not who they had in mind, but all the top candidates have said no. I actually think there’s some chance Billy D might be interested, but he’s not available for another two weeks. I do agree that he was sick of college ball when he left and it’s certainly become many orders of magnitude worse since he left, but it is UK, and I’m sure Donovan thinks he could kill it there.

I say Nate Oats bites and pisses off the Bama fans. Then they'll wish they never fired Anthony Grant.

It’s interesting that NIL and the transfer window has leveled the playing field a bit, as we are seeing in football. Kids want to see the $. They don’t necessarily care as much about a program’s tradition/history. In the current environment, I’d be very careful if I were a coach of a program where you’ve got it going, because you’re going to have to get it all set up at the new place regardless of whether its UK, UNC, whatever.

It’s interesting that NIL and the transfer window has leveled the playing field a bit, as we are seeing in football. Kids want to see the $. They don’t necessarily care as much about a program’s tradition/history. In the current environment, I’d be very careful if I were a coach of a program where you’ve got it going, because you’re going to have to get it all set up at the new place regardless of whether its UK, UNC, whatever.
Which pretty much explains why OSU quarterback Kyle McCord left for friggin Syracuse, of all places.

Looks like they got their first choice - that's KY money for you! lmao

It's interesting that every big name turned KY down. I think that job isn't hardly worth it if a coach has a good thing going.

Looks like they got their first choice - that's KY money for you! lmao

It's interesting that every big name turned KY down. I think that job isn't hardly worth it if a coach has a good thing going.
Every big name wasn’t offered the job. Everybody knew Harley wasn’t coming, the big rejection was from Scott Drew. His family flew in Lexington and obviously was not enamored. I am very good with Mark Pope being the coach, he knows what the program is about at an intimate level.

Mark had a lot of restrictions with the recruiting atmosphere to BYU. It will be a lot more successful at UK

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT