ADVERTISEMENT

Who gets fired first?

Easily Diaz, no chance we fire Norvell this yr
I agree. Was talking to an FSU fan at work yesterday, I think they'd be insane to fire Norvell this year, no matter HOW bad it gets. Right now he has a top 10 recruiting class and FSU NEEDS to keep that intact, no matter what the coaching situation is at the end of the year.

Look they are 0-3. They already know this is not an ACC championship season, most likely not even a bowl season. Use it for what it is, a rebuilding season. If nothing else, give no hints whatsoever that Norvell is on the hot seat or you lose that great recruiting class he's put together.

That child molester Diaz can go suck a grenade for all I care and Miami deserves him and his perennial 5-7 seasons.

Reactions: fsu939913
I agree. Was talking to an FSU fan at work yesterday, I think they'd be insane to fire Norvell this year, no matter HOW bad it gets. Right now he has a top 10 recruiting class and FSU NEEDS to keep that intact, no matter what the coaching situation is at the end of the year.

Look they are 0-3. They already know this is not an ACC championship season, most likely not even a bowl season. Use it for what it is, a rebuilding season. If nothing else, give no hints whatsoever that Norvell is on the hot seat or you lose that great recruiting class he's put together.

That child molester Diaz can go suck a grenade for all I care and Miami deserves him and his perennial 5-7 seasons.

Yep. We are going to get skull drug with or without Norvell this yr. The key is recruiting, so far he's done a good job with that and after 3 yrs of good classes (if he can get them) then we can decide on whether to boot or keep. His game performance damn sure isn't the reason tho... my lord.

Also, it's not a bowl season, I think at max we have 2 wins. I agree overall with your post. Our players our so bad or so young that it's just not going to work this yr so we need better players and during the ESD era, firing a coach mid season means you are now behind on the next 2 recruiting classes.

Not saying that it will happen, but it wouldn't shock me to see fsu go the way of Miami. The arms race that has been going on is catching up to some programs and fsu is one of them.
I think they are in a worse spot than miami now. Miami hasn’t had three losing seasons in a row, and I don’t think they’ve had a loss as bad as JSU, although I think that might seriously be the worst loss in history (a case can be made, anyway) But you’re absolutely right. The game is changing and some programs are getting left behind. I think that’s what happened at Nebraska, and I agree with you that it’s hit miami qnd f$u as well

Reactions: PacoGator19
I think they are in a worse spot than miami now. Miami hasn’t had three losing seasons in a row, and I don’t think they’ve had a loss as bad as JSU, although I think that might seriously be the worst loss in history (a case can be made, anyway) But you’re absolutely right. The game is changing and some programs are getting left behind. I think that’s what happened at Nebraska, and I agree with you that it’s hit miami qnd f$u as well
Miami could be in bigger trouble. They have been worse for even longer and they just don’t have much money to compete with what college football has turned into today.

Reactions: fsu939913
Miami could be in bigger trouble. They have been worse for even longer and they just don’t have much money to compete with what college football has turned into today.

Being in a big city arguably hurts Miami more than it helps them too.

In the Tallahassee area, FSU is the main event. In Miami, there are so many other things to do. Why bother driving from Coral Gables to Joe Robbie when you could shake a tail feather at a the beach, a million clubs, or an all night booger sugar orgy on a yacht in the bay?

In the Tallahassee area, FSU is the main event. In Miami, there are so many other things to do. Why bother driving from Coral Gables to Joe Robbie when you could shake a tail feather at a the beach, a million clubs, or an all night booger sugar orgy on a yacht in the bay?
Those Miami fans are mostly bandwagon fans. That is why you don't see any of them at games unless the team is good. They have no problem showing up when that is the case which is almost never now.

The same lame ass excuse the scUM fans have been using for decades. I brought this up before when The Badgers and Canes match up in Miami, the Badger fans clearly outnumber the Canes in their own home field. Just look at the past 10 Miami-FSU games played in Miami. It's clear how we can see more FSU fans than Miami fans, in Miami.
The announcers once mocked the Canes fans for Clemson bringing in more fans in a stadium that UM obviously doesn't own.
Those Miami fans are mostly bandwagon fans. That is why you don't see any of them at games unless the team is good. They have no problem showing up when that is the case which is almost never now.
Even when they show up, you'll see more Clemson, Wisconsin and FSU fans at Hard Rock Cafe Stadium, which is obviously not owned by UM. It's too bad that scUM doesn't have at least 200 more alums like The Rock(Dwayne Johnson) to donate $1 million to their athletic program. The Rock is worth well over $700 million yet his cheap ass just once, yes, just once, donated a measly $1 million to his alma mater.

Appy State over MIchigan probably was worse because Meatchicken was top 5. I also have to give a nod to Georgia Tech 222-0 over Cumberland. But FSU-JSU is conceivably top 5.

Appy State over MIchigan probably was worse because Meatchicken was top 5. I also have to give a nod to Georgia Tech 222-0 over Cumberland. But FSU-JSU is conceivably top 5.
Was GT over Cumberland an upset? If so…wow! Just kidding.

Appy state was a decent team, though. Didn’t they win the fcs championship that year or the year before? And yeah, that Cumberland game was pretty bad, but wasn’t it right after the invention of football?

I remember reading somewhere that when the GT-Cumberland game happened, the rules were make it, take it. That is if you scored, the other team had to kick off to you, so until you punted your offense could just stay on the field.

I remember reading somewhere that when the GT-Cumberland game happened, the rules were make it, take it. That is if you scored, the other team had to kick off to you, so until you punted your offense could just stay on the field.
Can you imagine SOS playing with those rules? He would have put up 500 on uga

I want to say the other thing was that
Cum errand had literally put a team together that week, maybe the week before.

Still, a pretty wild footnote in history.

Reactions: GatorGray
I want to say the other thing was that
Cum errand had literally put a team together that week, maybe the week before.

Still, a pretty wild footnote in history.
Here's the Wiki about it. It wasn't make it take it, but Cumberland did create the team just for the game, and evidently Tech was irritated because Cumberland beat them in baseball that year.

Tech never threw a pass, but had 922 yards rushing. That is many yards.

Appy state was a decent team, though. Didn’t they win the fcs championship that year or the year before? And yeah, that Cumberland game was pretty bad, but wasn’t it right after the invention of football?
First CFB game was 1869, and the Tech Cumberland game was 1916, so it was 47 years after football was invented.

Say what you want about the Cumberland players, but to keep coming back like this is better than many of the players today.

Several players on the heavily-outmatched Cumberland side suffered serious injuries during the game, including quarterback Edwards, who was thrice carted off with concussions.

Say what you want about the Cumberland players, but to keep coming back like this is better than many of the players today.

Several players on the heavily-outmatched Cumberland side suffered serious injuries during the game, including quarterback Edwards, who was thrice carted off with concussions.
It may have been another game, but I think I remember hearing reports that their players were running away and hiding during the game. Are they sure it wasn’t florida teachers college or whatever f$u was called back then? It certainly seems consistent with what they do today

Reactions: GatorGray
This is getting more and more interesting as each week passes. UM & FSU are a combined 2-7 on the year with those wins being Appy St and Central Connecticut St or something like that

Reactions: gatordad3
This is getting more and more interesting as each week passes. UM & FSU are a combined 2-7 on the year with those wins being Appy St and Central Connecticut St or something like that
While this is accurate, I think the framing is a little off, since you missed the opportunity to point out that one if those teams has both of those wins. And I’m not sure f$u could beat appy state.

Can Miami be any more embarrassing? Virginia obviously gift wrapped that game for them in the end. I think Bronco Mendenhall is regretting his decision to coach at an ACC school.

Can Miami be any more embarrassing? Virginia obviously gift wrapped that game for them in the end. I think Bronco Mendenhall is regretting his decision to coach at an ACC school.
Bronco is doing it wrong, because the ACC is a pretty good stepping-stone league. They are lucky to have had one elite team the past few years in Clemson, the rest are mediocre to bad. So if you can go in and get your team playing slightly above mediocre, you can turn a 4-8 type team into a 9-3 team just by teaching them how to actually play football. Do that for a couple of years then jump to a big job. That's what Urban did at Bowling Green (MAC) and Utah (MWC) before going to Florida and then tOSU. Bronco took a 4-8 team and got them to 9-5 and ranked in 2019, should have jumped right then, but he didn't, so if he wants to jump now he's going to have to run off a bunch of wins, because 3-2 won't cut it. But the ACC title is up for grabs, if UVa wins that he will be in prime shape for a move to big boy football.

Despite Miami's location it wouldn't surprise me if FSU was the team that got decent on the field again a few years from now. Not sure if an in demand group of five coach would be quick to take that job.

Reactions: gatordad3
Despite Miami's location it wouldn't surprise me if FSU was the team that got decent on the field again a few years from now. Not sure if an in demand group of five coach would be quick to take that job.
There’s no reason they should. You’d think Miami would be able to at least field a decent team from local kids who want to stay close to home. I can see f$u staying in the pecking order behind all the national powers who go into Florida to recruit and UF and Miami in the state. They could be lucky to fight with ucf for kids, especially if the proposed super conferences happen. I also think the way they’ve handled the coaching situation is going to hurt them. If they get rid of n0rveLLLLLLLLLLL now, who’s taking the job knowing how short the fuse is? It seems like they’re hanging their hats on dionne being the next incarnation of bear Bryant, bill parcells and urban Meyer, and I’m kind of sketch on that. Nebraska was good a lot longer than f$u and was a legitimate national power. They didn’t hide from competition and back their way into prominence. They were legit. They are now a middle of the pack program in their division if that. They hired their hometown hero and look how that turned out? I’d say that frost is a lot more legit of a head coach than dijon. There’s no reason to think they’ll rise back to prominence. The college football landscape is changing. The factors that allowed them to hide from competition and slither into title games no longer exists, and the other factor they had in their favor, the endless bowden era and retaining the same staff, is now biting them in the ass. There’s a good chance they won’t suck this bad forever, but I am 1000% certain they will never compete for national titles again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT