ADVERTISEMENT

We need to give a shout out to Randy Shannon

Bull Gator
Sep 22, 2003
With the fireworks ending on that other end.. Hasn't been brought up or talked about

His defense and what he was doing is the real reason we won the game, he didn't do anything spectacular schematically don't get me wrong.. But with a limited depth group and young players, he did a LOT more than that other asshat did for us on defense, he would have had this personnel pounded into the ground before they got tired with those awful sets.. Randy Blitzed enough off the edge and the boundaries to get in the QB's face and make him make mistakes for 3 turnovers because of it.

With Randy calling our defense, we are in much better hands. He changed up his looks so much more than we've seen in the last few years. It was a breath of fresh air the entire game for me watching.Thank God

Reactions: TNGatorBrad
I don't have an issue with Randy as of yet. We don't have the overall talent or especially depth on defense we have had the last few years and we are really young, especially in the secondary.

CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson are going to be big time CBs.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I agree...I'm usually critical of Shannon because he seems so set on being vanilla. He actually dialed up a few opportunist blitz packages yesterday that kept them somewhat honest.

I still think he's to conservative, as Collins was at times to flamboyant with his schemes. I guess it's just someone's personal preference as to which style they would rather see. I personally enjoyed Collins aggressive schemes far more than watching Shannon's rendition of early 90's football.

Where and when were these "Aggressive" schemes run by Collins at UF?

We blitzed more yesterday by the end of the first quarter than last year

Defense carried the team most of the game but they missed a lot of tackles. I'm sure they were pretty worn out but still.

We need to find the world's greatest OL coach and recruiter and pay him a lot of money.

Reactions: gatorjake2
We need those players back, the defense is actually better than I expected so far.. But Randy helps with that, simple enough scheme for them but not TOO simple..

Scarlett and Callaway could have helped put that team away much quicker yesterday, Antonio has murdered this team two years..

I don't even know if he ever will be back, but they need him.

What? We gave up almost 500 yards to a QB offense with garbage QB. The same garbage QB you've been saying UT should have benched. The only thing that kept UT from racking up points is their idiotic HC who couldn't stop throwing the ball on the goaline and didn't give their best player a single touch any time they were inside our 10 yard line. And the defense doesn't tackle for shit and is always out of position.

Reactions: nail1988
What? We gave up almost 500 yards to a QB offense with garbage QB. The same garbage QB you've been saying UT should have benched. The only thing that kept UT from racking up points is their idiotic HC who couldn't stop throwing the ball on the goaline and didn't give their best player a single touch any time they were inside our 10 yard line. And the defense doesn't tackle for shit and is always out of position.

Yeah, I don't get the Shannon love. I mean a high throw set up the Henderson pick and Butch is an idiot for throwing on the goal line that allowed for the Dawson pick. A QB we heard all week was the worst around out up a ton of O on us. This Shannon thing reminds me of how we couldn't possibly lose to a team losing 30 seniors but then suddenly when they kill us they are elite and Mac isn't at fault for being unprepared

The defense is not near as good as they have been, and have not near the same guys to rush the passer, how many of their yards came like ours in the 2nd half? They must have had the ball the majority of the 2nd half

I don't have an issue with Randy as of yet. We don't have the overall talent or especially depth on defense we have had the last few years and we are really young, especially in the secondary.

CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson are going to be big time CBs.
Agreed. We have talent, but not nearly as much quality depth as last year. And when the offense can't get 1st downs, the D gets worn out. It happened in both games played so far.

Yeah, I don't get the Shannon love. I mean a high throw set up the Henderson pick and Butch is an idiot for throwing on the goal line that allowed for the Dawson pick. A QB we heard all week was the worst around out up a ton of O on us. This Shannon thing reminds me of how we couldn't possibly lose to a team losing 30 seniors but then suddenly when they kill us they are elite and Mac isn't at fault for being unprepared

It's not so much love as it is being better off than Collins and actually trying to use the unit differently.. Anzalone and Davis being gone is a killer, Anzalone is balling already for the Saints and lost two Drafted Corners.. Collins would be flat out miserable with this bunch in comparison

Reactions: TennesseeGator
They aren't good period. The only thing that kept UT from dropping 35+ is Butch Jones. Michigan moved up and down the field when they weren't throwing up on themselves and they haven't been able to do that against anyone else. The defense is beyond simple and I don't want to hear anything about youth because our key players are not inexperienced.

and the QB, that wanted to throw to the RB's for most of the big plays

One thing is for sure. This game demonstrated we have some serious talent gaps at all the back up spots on defense

Last edited:
Watching freaking Christian Garcia matched up 1-on-1 on Kelly was an abomination. He's getting outschemed by a former TE coach who had never been an OC before. Everything with Shannon is a basic zone where we don't pattern match (I mean who doesn't even pattern match in this day and age?) or 2-man under. Almost always out of a base 4-3. He calls plays like he's playing madden.

They had 3 points at halftime. How were they getting to 35?? What did Dormandy do? He threw 3 picks and had a 102.7 QB rating which is terrible.

UT ran 72 plays to our 57 plays. That is the issue.

They moved the ball fairly easily. It was Butch Jones being an idiot. They missed 3 FG's and then had an INT on the goaline where they had no business throwing, that's 16 points right there. Lost another 4 on Kelly's drop on the goaline, that's 20, eliminate those gaffes and they're over 35. We gave up over 6 yards per play, in what world is that good defense?

And you think their 3 points was from great defensive play? It was Butch Jones being an idiot. They missed 3 FG's and then had an INT on the goaline where they had no business throwing, that's 16 points right there. Lost another 4 on Kelly's drop on the goaline, that's 20. We gave up over 6 yards per play, in what world is that good defense?

Quit analyzing the game play. We winned, all is swell and neat. Another foir or five years and we might be able to compete with the "real"teams

We're 100th in total defense right now. Our 5.95 yards per play is among the worst in the nation. We actually gave up MORE than our average yards per play yesterday at 6.1, and people think the DC did a great job. Considering we've lost a game our ranking should actually be better because that's one less game to give up yards and points. I must be in some type of next dimension.

We're 100th in total defense right now. Our 5.95 yards per play is among the worst in the nation. We actually gave up MORE than our average yards per play yesterday at 6.1, and people think the DC did a great job. Considering we've lost a game our ranking should actually be better because that's one less game to give up yards and points. I must be in some type of next dimension.
But we make up for it by being #89 on offense

In all seriousness, we do not have a lot of talent on defense right now. That is not a fault of schemes. That is a fault of recruiting.

The players and depth is much worse, but the DC is not any worse, watching that unit and the youth.. I was worried the offfense would do that to them by the end. The couple of packages getting at and too their QB for turnovers in the end doomed UT.. Regardless of what butch and their staff decided to do with the ball in their situations, that's their own fault and UF's DB's caught the football. Dukes pick was a good play behind him, and just a shit read by a shit QB.

In all seriousness, we do not have a lot of talent on defense right now. That is not a fault of schemes. That is a fault of recruiting.

We don't have four 1st rounders on defense like we're used to, but it shouldn't be that bad. Excluding Henderson and Wilson, our starters have played a lot of football. And it's not like we've faced any explosive offenses. We shouldn't be this bad and Shannon is not doing a good job. His schemes are HS level simplistic. We go whole drives without matching personnel or altering coverages, not exaggerating. People laughed at me when I said he might be every bit as bad as Nuss. Well...

I know you have a strong opinion about the schemes and Shannon. And the fact that you played in college gives those opinions a lot of weight. I respect that.

But then numbers played in college and is also a college coach? He has a different opinion. I respect his opinion too.

I agree with oozie in the basis of what he's saying, he knows the ins and outs of WHAT is going on in scheme compared to me as an offensive guy as to REACTING to WHAT you see.. I said it's not something great Randy is doing, he's making it easy for them but is at LEAST blitzing in obvious scenarios to do so, and it garnered turnovers, which are winning Football plays. The opposite of last year, unless someone would like to see a base defense get snatched up and body slammed like Bama did to Collins last year without even trying to stop it with pressure once.

I've never said Randy is some great defensive mind, but he's had success with talented bunches. The talent on the field overall in two games, ain't touching our usual units on that side of the ball. That's just the truth.

I think the defense will get better with Shannon, not the same or worse like our last signal caller.

offense has not been UT's problem, it's been their only strength through really good Running backs and a running QB for 3 years. Their RB's were really good, now if they had played a better QB yesterday, yea we would have had more trouble.. The reality still stands here, our offense made the defense a possibility of looking worse in an otherwise pretty stout performance for what we fielded overall. They should have had more points by the 4th, but they still had only 3.. If we kept getting those results, no matter how it happens against us, they won't complain.

Not unless we get a serious talent infusion. Because even UT's bum offensive coaches can dial up plays when they know the coverage and front beforehand.

We need fresher LB's by that point in the game, and pass rushers. They were so done physically that Reese was just watching plays develop by him. At times we got good push with 4, and others Zuniga did stupid things but he can rush the passer. I want to see those young guys all incorporated but I literally have zero idea what the deal is at this point with the suspensions and I know other schools wouldn't be dealing with this shit.. Now im seeing stuff about us having something going on with Franks, whether it's made up or not is impossible to know.. Because anything negative about our offense and players on the roster can be taken seriously at this point.

We need fresher LB's by that point in the game, and pass rushers. They were so done physically that Reese was just watching plays develop by him. At times we got good push with 4, and others Zuniga did stupid things but he can rush the passer. I want to see those young guys all incorporated but I literally have zero idea what the deal is at this point with the suspensions and I know other schools wouldn't be dealing with this shit.. Now im seeing stuff about us having something going on with Franks, whether it's made up or not is impossible to know.. Because anything negative about our offense and players on the roster can be taken seriously at this point.

You didn't hear Franks was involved, it was an NCAA violation and we have to forfeit yesterdays win?

I just been seeing tweets like this

21551968_10213953775859200_692945227923240042_o.jpg

The same way we did with Grier before it happened

Yep the stats and tackling weren't good at all but we got some nice turnovers. Curious to see what the numbers are as the season progresses.

On paper the yards given up ranking is much worse than the 2007 defense so far. I think we may struggle to end up with a top 30 total defense this season with all those NFL losses.

You did not like Collins either, if I recall?

I felt the talent carried him more than the other way around and he had his stubborn fits that annoyed the hell out of me. I was a fan of his 4-2-5 though. Feel it fits best to defend the more modern offenses.

I just been seeing tweets like this

21551968_10213953775859200_692945227923240042_o.jpg

The same way we did with Grier before it happened

I asked a guy close to the program. He said;

"You're misinterpreting that.

Fans wanting desperately to believe that Jim McElwain is the right guy for the program have convinced themselves he took over play-calling in the fourth quarter."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT