ADVERTISEMENT

UGA Sports reporting Jimbo has agreed to the A&M job

MJ, I think you know where I stand in regards to Jimbo. Taggart, imo, gets the wheel turning quicker than a Fuente or a Norvell(Friend of the family is a RB for him). I prefer both to Taggart. That said if Willie comes in as quickly as discussed that is pretty remarkable given past coaching searches around the country. I think Willie will show some humility and let people help him. That will be the beginning of what I hope to be better in house relationships.

MJ, I think you know where I stand in regards to Jimbo. Taggart, imo, gets the wheel turning quicker than a Fuente or a Norvell(Friend of the family is a RB for him). I prefer both to Taggart. That said if Willie comes in as quickly as discussed that is pretty remarkable given past coaching searches around the country. I think Willie will show some humility and let people help him. That will be the beginning of what I hope to be better in house relationships.
Good luck. Like djgators said, I wish you guys the same luck as the Vols

So 10-4 got Fisher dubbed "4 loss Fisher" and McElwain fired, but it's the gold standard when discussing Fuente? Fuente may do a great job, I just wouldn't be thrilled with the hire. He's supposedly an offensive guru with high octane offenses. The problem with that is his offenses aren't actually any good. Scoring O rankings:

2012: #88
2013: #111
2014: #22
2015: #11
2016: #33
2017: #63

His 4th year at Memphis is nice, but I can't say I'd be excited about him bringing his 63rd ranked VT offense here. Taggart's last 3 years at USF he took their offense from #119 to #41 to #4. Spin it anyway you want, but that's pretty damn impressive. His offense in year 1 at Oregon currently sits at #19. Taggart also likely comes with Jim Leavitt as DC which would be a monumental upgrade over Charles Kelly. No clue who Fuente would hire as DC but Bud Foster isn't leaving VT so that would be a big question mark. Can Fuente recruit? Does he have any recruiting ties to FL? There's no guarantee that Taggart or Fuente are going to be the next coach though. It could be Norvell or Venebales or Bloomgren or someone no one is talking about. It's all hypothetical at this point.
4 loss Fisher...4 loss Fuente...5 loss Taggart. If that's an upgrade...have at it. Doesn't make a difference to me either way. Ill give you a good point of bringing in Leavitt as DC over the unknown of who would be Fuente's DC. I'd just take a coach with a higher winning record at non P5 &P5 combined with the head to head favor to boot.

I doubt he leaves Va Tech anyway. Dude wins 8-9 games on average and if he every once in a while comes close to competition for the playoffs they will build a statue of him in Blacksburg.

Cogent thoughts from a guy on another board;

I think there is, for me, some question about who is the real brain between Fuentes / Norvell. I don't know enough about the dynamics when they were at Memphis. Was Norvell a play calling OC or did Fuentes call the plays? What in-game function does each do for their respective teams this year? It is possible that both are gifted coaches, while it is also possible that one was the real brain behind the success at Memphis.​

VT has been pretty solid under Fuentes but not massively improved. Memphis has been as good or better under Norvell.
Norvell never worked under Fuente. Norvell was at Az State as OC when Fuente was at Memphis. Fuente had Darrell Dickey as OC. Norvell first year had Chip Long (now at Notre Dame) as OC and promoted Darrell Dickey back to OC. Norvell's Memphis actually improved losing an OC that had a hand in improving ND's record of last year to this year.

Fuente and staff while at Memphis went to Az State and learned the blue print of the offense from Norvell.

Fuente was OC at TCU before taking the Memphis job.

Seeing both pretty close up I'd honestly take Norvell over Fuente but that doesn't mean I'd not take Fuente over Taggart...the real question at hand.

But to your point... Fuente is the brains behind Fuente and Norvell is the brains behind Norvell. They never worked on the same staff together. Recruiting wise I give the slight edge to Norvell. However Fuente is a guru of finding diamonds in the rough such as NFL QB Paxton Lynch and K Jake Elliot. Fuente also lucked up getting walk-on's WR Anthony Miller and Phil Mayhue (top WR's at Memphis) along with TE Alan Cross (Tamp Bay TE)...that just don't happen often you have NFLers walk on. Both Norvell and Fuente have shown excellent signs in player development.

What's Taggart's player development like? I have no idea honestly.

Who has ever said Jimbo's recruiting is over rated?
I said it.
Not to say that he’s a bad recruiter, just to say that there’s nothing to suggest he has any special prowess. All we have to go on is his work at FSU during UF and Miami dumpster fires.
Let’s don’t forget that FSU pulled in too 5 classes every year with Jeffy at OC before Jimbo.
Nothing I’ve seen so far suggests he will magically make the next program he goes to better through his superior recruiting skills. And we know he’s an average game day coach, so I’ll repeat, I wouldn’t mind a change if I were an FSU fan.

I said it.
Not to say that he’s a bad recruiter, just to say that there’s nothing to suggest he has any special prowess. All we have to go on is his work at FSU during UF and Miami dumpster fires.
Let’s don’t forget that FSU pulled in too 5 classes every year with Jeffy at OC before Jimbo.
Nothing I’ve seen so far suggests he will magically make the next program he goes to better through his superior recruiting skills. And we know he’s an average game day coach, so I’ll repeat, I wouldn’t mind a change if I were an FSU fan.
Nah our offensive recruiting in Bowden's final years was terrible. Really bad. And the guys that were highly rated like Xavier Lee and Fred Rouse were busts or head cases.

Fisher ave his staff were really good at identifying studs before they were widely known. Devonta Freeman, Telvin Smith, Xavier Rhodes to name a few all of whom are NFL stars.

Hard to knock his recruiting prowess.

Again, I’m not saying he’s done a bad job.

I’m saying tons of coaches could just as well and many could do better....at FSU.

I just don’t ever remember FSU struggling to recruit. I don’t buy it’s better because of Jimbo.

Again, I’m not saying he’s done a bad job.

I’m saying tons of coaches could just as well and many could do better....at FSU.

I just don’t ever remember FSU struggling to recruit. I don’t buy it’s better because of Jimbo.

Jimbo did great his first 2 or 3 yrs. After that. Meh.

He hasnt done bad, but it hasnt been world reknowned like his 1st 3

I've heard they've already approached Bobby Bowden and offered the job to him for life. Just as a precaution in case Jimbobby leaves. It'll be good to watch the crypt keeper stalking those sidelines again.

Jimbo is bailing when things are starting to go south. Problems in the lockeroom, coaching issues, player rifts and talent not as good as he is accustomed too.

He isn’t dumb.

Jimbo is bailing when things are starting to go south. Problems in the lockeroom, coaching issues, player rifts and talent not as good as he is accustomed too.

He isn’t dumb.
Luckily for the noles, Bobby Bowden IS dumb. Just the kind of dumb they need.

He isn’t dumb.
Things went south because the coaching staff mailed it in even it was apparent that most were getting replaced. Absolutely not a talent issue at all.

Things went south because the coaching staff mailed it in even it was apparent that most were getting replaced. Absolutely not a talent issue at all.
When did that happen? After the first game of the season? When did they know they were getting replaced?

He isn’t dumb.

Kelly to UF..... Your opinion is wrong...as usual

When did that happen? After the first game of the season? When did they know they were getting replaced?

Francois went down, assistant coaches suck. I called it from the beginning of the season. We will still have the most players drafted out of any florida team with the current rosters. Talent is no where close to the issue

4 loss Fisher...4 loss Fuente...5 loss Taggart. If that's an upgrade...have at it. Doesn't make a difference to me either way. Ill give you a good point of bringing in Leavitt as DC over the unknown of who would be Fuente's DC. I'd just take a coach with a higher winning record at non P5 &P5 combined with the head to head favor to boot.

I doubt he leaves Va Tech anyway. Dude wins 8-9 games on average and if he every once in a while comes close to competition for the playoffs they will build a statue of him in Blacksburg.

I doubt FSU ends up with Taggart or Fuente. That's just how these things go. Initially, everyone says this guy or that guy is the primary candidate and then it ends up being someone no one was really talking about.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Jimbo did great his first 2 or 3 yrs. After that. Meh.

He hasnt done bad, but it hasnt been world reknowned like his 1st 3

Do you ever think before you post stuff? Jimbo's second year wasn't great at all, unless you consider losing to Wake Forest and UVA (at Doak, no less) to be "doing great." If anything, he got things together on Year 3 (2012 Orange Bowl, 2013 National Championship, 2014 Rose Bowl, 2015 Peach Bowl, 2016 Orange Bowl).

Nah our offensive recruiting in Bowden's final years was terrible. Really bad. And the guys that were highly rated like Xavier Lee and Fred Rouse were busts or head cases.

Who was your offensive coordinator in charge of recruiting offensive players at the time?

Now that he is gone, I know you are past Fisher right now. But I can dig up some old threads where you defended the guy during this time tooth and nail.

Who was your offensive coordinator in charge of recruiting offensive players at the time?

Now that he is gone, I know you are past Fisher right now. But I can dig up some old threads where you defended the guy during this time tooth and nail.
This was before Fisher. Our offensive recruiting started tanking around 2004. About 3 years into Jeff Bowden as OC.

Yes I defended him because he brought us back to elite status from what seemed like a never ending nightmare of the lost decade. He's left us better than he found us.

This has been handled poorly on his part though. It's like the building is on fire and he refused to acknowledge it. This has tainted his legacy at FSU no doubt.

That's how they do things over there

Last edited:
Reactions: mcanes
Again he’s just bailing while he can. Players are coming out saying if he stays they are leaving.

Hey Nolies. Better snap up Butch Davis!
I'm on the Taggart Train

20bkyq.jpg

Reactions: NoleLizards
I'm going to die laughing so hard when Jimbobby heads to ATM and FSU hires Butch Jones.

I'm going to die laughing so hard when Jimbobby heads to ATM and FSU hires Butch Jones.

Like I said earlier, this whole scenario is a great laugher for us either way. Jimbo stays, we laugh....Jimbo goes, we laugh.....

Hey, but Jimbo owns us!

On that note, no matter when he leaves, Jimbo will be the only FSU coach to ever have a winning record against Florida.

We can be the "Champions of Life"!
You're taking this out of context and you know it. Mullen said it in regards to having a team of high quality individuals both on and off the field. Butch Jones said it as a last ditch effort to defend his losing team.

You're taking this out of context and you know it. Mullen said it in regards to having a team of high quality individuals both on and off the field. Butch Jones said it as a last ditch effort to defend his losing team.
It's ok to admit it's corny. Because it is.

He isn’t dumb.

It's parallels Meyer and uf 2010 almost perfectly. At least Meyer had enough respect to try and make it look like he wasn't just running away from trouble.

It all runs in cycles... hopefully we make a homerun hire and avoid a downturn, but yall know how hard that is. Just hope it's not finally miami's turn. That will be unbearable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT