ADVERTISEMENT

UF Softball & Baseball

Both the softball and baseball program has problems right now. More so baseball. I’m not sure Sully is going go he around too much longer. Rumors of him losing the team and sort of checked out.
Paco, if we keep going, maybe we can get rid of all of our coaches, That would certainly make some of our fans who appear to be convinced they can do a better job, happy. I have been around a long time and I have never seen a coach pinch hit and get a hit. Or one play short stop. We expect way too much my friend, way too much. JMO.....jim

Gator softball got run ruled 9-1 in 6 innings by LSU, as we looked pitiful both in the circle and at the plate. UF only got singles from Katie Kistler and Charla Echols, plus 2 walks to Echols and another to Skylar Wallace, as the were dominated by a good but not great LSU pitcher, Ali Kilponen. Meanwhile Elizabeth Hightower gave up 2 singles and a double to the first 3 batters she faced, then a 2-out, 2 run single to put Florida down 3-0 in the first inning. She only lasted 3 innings, giving up 4 runs on 5 hits with only 2 K's. Haley Pittman threw the rest of the way, 2.2 innings, giving up 5 runs on 10 hits, a walk and only 2 K's. Hopefully, Gator batters will wake up Saturday at noon and Lexie Delbrey, I assume, can pitch better than what we saw tonight. That stunk, folks!

UF baseball beat Kentucky in the opening game of a must win home series 9-2. Brandon Sproat battled through 5.2 innings and 103 pitches to shut out the Wildcats on 5 hits and 3 walks with 5 K's, battling out of a couple of jams to get the win. Blake Purnell went 2.1 innings and gave up a solo HR and Anthony Ursitti went the final 1.1 innings, giving up a solo HR of his own. A shuffled lineup paid off for the Gators as Wyatt Langford led off the bottom of the 1st with a HR, going 204 with 2 RBI on the night. Th3 Gators got 4 runs in the 5th, 3 more in the 6th and another in the 8th for the fairly easy win. Jac Caglinone went 3-4 as DH, scoring 3 runs, while Sterlin Thompson went 2-4 with a HR and 4 RBI. Josh Rivera went 2-4 with 2 runs scored, while both Fabians had an RBI, as did Kendrick Calilao. Florida needs every win they can muster as they try to climb back into position to get into the NCAA tournament.

Gator softball got run ruled 9-1 in 6 innings by LSU, as we looked pitiful both in the circle and at the plate. UF only got singles from Katie Kistler and Charla Echols, plus 2 walks to Echols and another to Skylar Wallace, as the were dominated by a good but not great LSU pitcher, Ali Kilponen. Meanwhile Elizabeth Hightower gave up 2 singles and a double to the first 3 batters she faced, then a 2-out, 2 run single to put Florida down 3-0 in the first inning. She only lasted 3 innings, giving up 4 runs on 5 hits with only 2 K's. Haley Pittman threw the rest of the way, 2.2 innings, giving up 5 runs on 10 hits, a walk and only 2 K's. Hopefully, Gator batters will wake up Saturday at noon and Lexie Delbrey, I assume, can pitch better than what we saw tonight. That stunk, folks!
Wheels coming off...dang.

UF baseball beat Kentucky in the opening game of a must win home series 9-2. Brandon Sproat battled through 5.2 innings and 103 pitches to shut out the Wildcats on 5 hits and 3 walks with 5 K's, battling out of a couple of jams to get the win. Blake Purnell went 2.1 innings and gave up a solo HR and Anthony Ursitti went the final 1.1 innings, giving up a solo HR of his own. A shuffled lineup paid off for the Gators as Wyatt Langford led off the bottom of the 1st with a HR, going 204 with 2 RBI on the night. Th3 Gators got 4 runs in the 5th, 3 more in the 6th and another in the 8th for the fairly easy win. Jac Caglinone went 3-4 as DH, scoring 3 runs, while Sterlin Thompson went 2-4 with a HR and 4 RBI. Josh Rivera went 2-4 with 2 runs scored, while both Fabians had an RBI, as did Kendrick Calilao. Florida needs every win they can muster as they try to climb back into position to get into the NCAA tournament.
Considering our strong RPI I wonder what type of conference record we will need

Considering our strong RPI I wonder what type of conference record we will need
Our RPI ranking after last night is #11, SOS #2. We're only 5-12 vs. RPI Top 25 teams, though, 5-4 vs. teams ranked 26-50. Historically an SEC team has to win at least 14 conference games to get in the tournament and we're 7-12 with 11 SEC games left. It's doable, but with little margin for error. After KY, we go to Mississippi State & Missouri and then close out hosting South Carolina, plus non-conference games hosting USF, FSU & Bethune-Cookman.

Gator softball got excellent pitching from freshman Lexie Delbrey and their bats came alive in beating LSU 6-1, improving to 37-13, 12-11 in the SEC, guaranteeing that they won't finish with a losing conference record. Rubber game and the Gators' final SEC game is Sunday at Noon on ESPN2. Delbrey had a no-hitter through 6 innings, walking 3 and hitting 1, getting 2 excellent defensive plays from LF Katie Kistler and one from 2B Skylar Wallace to keep the Tigers hitless. But when she gave up a leadoff HR in the bottom of the 7th, CTW relieved her with Rylee Trlicek, who gave up 1 hit while recording the final 3 outs. On offense Cheyenne Lindsey hit a solo HR in the 1st inning, getting Florida off to a good start. LSU made 4 errors, while the Gators had 12 hits and could have easily scored more runs, as they had 2 base running mistakes that cost them, plus they stranded 8 runners. Wallace went 2-4 with 2 RBI, Lindsey was 2-4 and Kistler was 3-4 with 2 RBI to pace the Gator attack. Avery Goelz even got a hit, her first hit in her last 12 games, I believe. While the softball team has been struggling of late, today shows how good they can be when they get quality pitching and solid at bats up and down the lineup.

UF baseball improved their record to 25-17, 8-12 by dominating Kentucky for the second day in a row 9-1 in a game that had the start time pushed back by rain and then had a 2-hour rain delay in the bottom of the 4th inning with Florida up 7-0. That lengthy delay ended the night and a quality start from Grandon Neely and forced the Gators to go to their bullpen earlier than would have otherwise been necessary. Hopefully it won't impact the pitching for Sunday's game as the Gators go for the series sweep. Tyler Nesbit went 1.2 innings and threw 38 pitches, Blake Purnell went 1 inning and threw 22 pitches and Nick Ficarrotta went 2.1 innings and threw 35 pitches to close out the game. The Gator offense had 11 hits, led by G.T. Riopelle's 3-5 with 3 RBI and Sterlin Thompson's 2-5 with 2 RBI. Josh Rivera an Jac Caglionone each had solo HR's. Florida scored 3 runs in the 1st inning as Wyatt Langford led off with a triple, Thompson got an RBI and reached on a throwing error, then was knocked on a double by Jud Fabian, who came home on a Riopelle single. They scored 4 more in the 2nd inning on Rivera's HR, a Thompson double that drove in Deric Fabian, who had walked and stolen second, and a 2-out, 2 RBI single from Riopelle. Colby Halter had an RBI single in the 5th inning and Caglianone closed out the scoring with his HR in the 7th. Sunday's game is at Noon on SEC+.

Florida baseball lost to Kentucky 8-1 Sunday to drop to 25-18, 8-13 in the SEC. The Gators only managed 5 hits in a pretty lethargic performance in which the 1-5 batters went a combined 0-15 with 2 walks and 6 K's. Starting pitcher Ryan Slater only lasted 3.1 innings, giving up 4 runs on 7 hits (2 HR's), a wild pitch that allowed a runner to score in the 1st on a Sac. fly and only 1 K. Fisher Jameson did well as our 2nd pitcher, going 4 innings, allowing 1 run on 2 hits with 5 K's. Philip Abner went .2 innings and gave up 2 runs on a hit and a walk, with Anthony Ursitti going 1 inning and giving a 3-run HR, with him being charged with 1 run, the other 2 to Abner. Slater's ERA is now 10.80 and Abner's is 27.00. The Gators host USF Tuesday at 6 pm before heading to StarkVegas for a Fri., Sat., Sun. series. Every win is a big one at this point, as is every loss as the Gators are struggling just to make the NCAA tournament.

Florida softball eked out a huge 2-1, 9 inning win at LSU Sunday afternoon to improve to 38-13, finishing their SEC schedule at 13-11. Both teams had 6 hits for the game, but the Gators also got 7 walks and stranded 11 base runners, as they had multiple chances to add more runs and just couldn't get the big hit until the top of the 9th when Cheyenne Lindsey, who had struck out 4 times during the game, hit an 0-2 pitch for a HR against the scoreboard to give UF the 2-1 lead. The Gators had scored first to go up 1-0 in the 2nd inning on a sac. fly from Kendra Falby. LSU tied it up in the 4th on a walk, stolen base and single. Elizabeth Hightower pitched well for the Gators, going 5.1 innings, giving up 1 run on 5 hits, 2 walks, a HBP and 3 K's. Rylee Trlicek was excellent in relief, going 2.1 innings and giving up only a walk. Natalie Lugo (9-4) threw the final 1.1 innings, giving up only 1 hit. Florida had singles from Katie Kistler, Avery Goelz and Reagan Walsh, plus a single and double from Cali Decker. The Gators are working to be a Top 8 National Seed and right now are probably on the bubble, with a very strong RPI and SOS helping their cause. They have a huge game Wednesday night 6 pm at #3 FSU on ESPNU, then close out their season with doubles headers Friday and Saturday vs. Mercer & Florida Gulf Coast.

Paco, if we keep going, maybe we can get rid of all of our coaches, That would certainly make some of our fans who appear to be convinced they can do a better job, happy. I have been around a long time and I have never seen a coach pinch hit and get a hit. Or one play short stop. We expect way too much my friend, way too much. JMO.....jim
Thanks for your input, newInsta.

Florida baseball lost to Kentucky 8-1 Sunday to drop to 25-18, 8-13 in the SEC. The Gators only managed 5 hits in a pretty lethargic performance in which the 1-5 batters went a combined 0-15 with 2 walks and 6 K's. Starting pitcher Ryan Slater only lasted 3.1 innings, giving up 4 runs on 7 hits (2 HR's), a wild pitch that allowed a runner to score in the 1st on a Sac. fly and only 1 K. Fisher Jameson did well as our 2nd pitcher, going 4 innings, allowing 1 run on 2 hits with 5 K's. Philip Abner went .2 innings and gave up 2 runs on a hit and a walk, with Anthony Ursitti going 1 inning and giving a 3-run HR, with him being charged with 1 run, the other 2 to Abner. Slater's ERA is now 10.80 and Abner's is 27.00. The Gators host USF Tuesday at 6 pm before heading to StarkVegas for a Fri., Sat., Sun. series. Every win is a big one at this point, as is every loss as the Gators are struggling just to make the NCAA tournament.
The double play was Huuuuuuuuuge.

I mean....that sounds like something insta would say....
thanks for the non answer on to ignore you go
Love the reverse jinx!! I'm going to do it more often!
Reverse jinxes are just so some one can say something negative and if it ends up the way you said it you can say see I told you so, and if it goes the opposite you can say reverse jinx, you are never wrong that way but it doesn't take long for everyone to realize your game. JMO anyway......jim

Are we, historically, enemies and I didn't know it? I thought I was good with all the Kentuckians.

@IrishPokerDog please confirm.
You’re good Danny, with the Kentuckians I know that frequent here, I believe. Not really historical enemies, aside from being divisional foes ….. that long football streak leaves a lot of UK fans a lil salty though

thanks for the non answer on to ignore you go

Reverse jinxes are just so some one can say something negative and if it ends up the way you said it you can say see I told you so, and if it goes the opposite you can say reverse jinx, you are never wrong that way but it doesn't take long for everyone to realize your game. JMO anyway......jim
You got me!! Thanks for the coaching, I'm going to work much harder to be a better person!

• Haha
Reactions: TennesseeGator
You got me!! Thanks for the coaching, I'm going to work much harder to be a better person!

I guess when all else fails, turn to sarcasm. Hey man do your thing its your opinion, I just expressed mine. My apologies.

Last edited:
Gator baseball put a beatdown on a very young USF team Tuesday night 18-3. Florida hit 6 home runs, 3 by Jud Fabian (8 RBI including a grand slam in the 2nd inning) and solo shots from Mac Guscette, B.T. Riopelle and Ty Evans. Sterlin Thompson was 2-3 with 4 RBI and Wyatt Langford went 3-4 with 2 RBI. Riopelle started at 1st base and Kris Armstrong at 3rd, with Armstrong going 2-4. Deric Fabian & Kendrick Calilao got the night off. Nick Pogue was very good on the mound in his 4 innings, giving up 2 runs (1 earned) on 4 hits, 4 K's and NO walks. Tyler Nesbitt went 2 innings and only gave up a hit and no walks. Karl Hartman threw an inning and gave up no runs, no hits and a walk with 2 K's; and Anthony Ursitti pitched the final 2 innings, giving up a run on 2 hits, 2 walks with 2 K's. It was encouraging to see a quality start from Pogue and see the Gator bats go wild, getting 16 hits and 9 walks, scoring 2 runs in the 1st inning, 6 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd and 6 more in the 4th. This weekend's series at Mississippi State is crucial to Florida's post season hopes and it will be interesting to see the starting lineup that takes the field behind Brandon Sproat for Game 1 Friday night at 8 pm on the SEC Network.

FSU beat Florida 2-1 on a walk off HR in the bottom of the 7th to beat the Gators for the 2nd time this year in heartbreaking fashion. FSU improves to 46-5, Florida drops to 38-14. Elizabeth Hightower pitched her heart out, holding the Noles to 6 hits with 2 walks and 5 K's. But FSU pitcher Kat Sandercock (25-1) is one of the best in the nation and she held Florida to 2 hits, 2 walks and 4 K's. The Gators scored 1st in the 2nd inning on 1-out singles from Sam Roe and Katie Kistler. Cali Decker got hit by a pitch and Avery Goelz got and RBI ground out. Kendra Falby had a chance to drive in another run or two, but couldn't do it. FSU tied it in the 3rd innings on a 2-out single and an RBI double could have been caught by Falby. Falby made a couple of great plays later in the game to save runs, but that misplay hurt. The Gators had a chance to score in the 5th when Falby reached on a fielder's choice, stole 2nd and went to 3rd on a errant throw, but Skylar Wallace couldn't get her home, grounding out to 2nd. Florida will definitely be a Regional host for the NCAA tournament, but a win tonight could have helped their chances of getting a Top 8 seed to host a Super Regional. They finish up with doubleheaders Friday & Saturday against Mercer & Florida Gulf Coast and need to sweep those 4 games before hosting the SEC tournament next week.

UF softball (39-14) won their first game Friday by beating Mercer 8-3. Lexie Delbrey (13-2) got the win, going 5 innings, giving up 2 runs on 4 hits, 4 walks, a hit batter and 4K's. Rylee Trlicek pitched the final 2 innings, being charged with a run on 3 hits with 3 K's. The offense was led by Kendra Falby, who went 3-4 and 3 stolen bases, Katie Kistler, 2-2 with 4 RBI, Calie Decker, 2-3 with an RBI, and Cheyenne LIndsey, 2-3 with an RBI.
They play Game 2 vs. Florida Gulf Coast at around 7:45.

UF softball (39-14) won their first game Friday by beating Mercer 8-3. Lexie Delbrey (13-2) got the win, going 5 innings, giving up 2 runs on 4 hits, 4 walks, a hit batter and 4K's. Rylee Trlicek pitched the final 2 innings, being charged with a run on 3 hits with 3 K's. The offense was led by Kendra Falby, who went 3-4 and 3 stolen bases, Katie Kistler, 2-2 with 4 RBI, Calie Decker, 2-3 with an RBI, and Cheyenne LIndsey, 2-3 with an RBI.
They play Game 2 vs. Florida Gulf Coast at around 7:45.
We will need a really good SECT to have any shot at top 8. Seems unlikely but not impossible.

UF softball won their 40th game as they run-ruled FGCU 8-0 in 6 innings. Elizabeth Hightower (13-7) thrw a 2 hitter, with 5 K's and only 1 walk. The offense was led by Avery Goelz, who went 303 with an RBI and 2 runs scored, Charla Echols, who went 3-3 with an RBI, Katie Kistler, who went 2-3 with 2 runs scored, Calie Decker, who went 2-2 with and RBI and a run scored, and Cheyenne Lindsey, who went 2-4 with the game-ending RBI. The only down side of the game was Reagan Walsh, who went 0-3 with 2 errors at SS, as she seems to have totally lost her confidence. The Gators finish their regular season Saturday with games against Mercer and FGCU, starting at noon.

Reactions: Countygator1
UF baseball hung on to beat Mississippi State 8-6 in the opening game of their weekend series to improve to 9-13 in the SEC, 27-18 overall. The Gators got a solid start from Brandon Sproat and built a 7-0 lead going to the bottom of the 5th, but shaky bullpen pitching and shaky defense put the outcome in doubt until Ryan Slater closed the game out for his 3rd save. B.T. Riopelle went 4-4 with a HR and 6 RBI to pace the Gator attack, but batters 5-9 went a combined 1-23 to keep Florida from blowing th game open early. Wyatt Langford went 3-4 and Sterlin Thompson drew 4 walks, as the Gators scored 2 runs in the 1st inning and 4 in the 2nd, but had to hang on late, as Florida's bullpen continued to struggle. But an SEC road win is big and Florida needs to find a way to win tomorrow and Sunday if they hope to make it to the post season.

This lineup is just about as talented as any we have had. The bullpen just cannot throw strikes good lord. Every hitter starts out 2-0/3-0. I don’t think we have to sweep, although that would be helpful. Have to win the remaining three SEC series and sweep one of them I think.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT