ADVERTISEMENT

UF Softball & Baseball

Oklahoma got screwed not hosting a regional. They won the Big 12 and are one of the hottest teams in the nation. My guess is they will beat Va Tech and make it to Omaha.

I actually wouldn't mind OU winning the whole thing. Their fans are perhaps among the most bearable for a top-tier program, ime. Plus, there's a OU punter who vlogs that seems like a really cool and humble dude that gives a lot of insight on what it's like in an athletic scholarship. Different sport, I know, but it helps me not mind OU all the more.

Reactions: jfegaly
I tire of complaining about the refs, but that plate umpire's strike zone was 3' wide, with the bottom of it about 1' off the ground.... 😠
He was calling strikes on pitches nearly a foot outside. On both teams. Players were having to swing at anything close (both teams).

Reactions: mcanes
He was calling strikes on pitches nearly a foot outside. On both teams. Players were having to swing at anything close (both teams).
I didn't say he picked on the Gators with his golf cart size strike zone.

However, when a plate umpire chooses to ALTER THE RULES OF THE GAME on his own whim, then it changes how the game is played, which might favor one team over the other, depending.

IF I was in charge of the Umps, I'd dock him his pay for that game over it....

This is like a field ref in football deciding that it's not interference unless the DB knocks the receiver completely off his feet. Just because he calls it the same for both team doesn't lessen the wrongness of it.

Just Playing the Devil's Advocate:

Is O'Sul turning into Florida's version of 'Regular Season Rick?'
😑

The Gators have been eliminated in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in each of their last 3 chances, ensuring the team’s longest Super Regional drought in head coach Kevin O’Sullivan’s tenure. Florida’s late collapse against the Swooners seemed wholly avoidable....

😑

The Gators have been eliminated in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in each of their last 3 chances, ensuring the team’s longest Super Regional drought in head coach Kevin O’Sullivan’s tenure. Florida’s late collapse against the Swooners seemed wholly avoidable....
No question last 3 seasons have been disappointing. But he's had post success while ole Rick's had none. He brings back the majority of the team, we have some top notch recruits coming in, so he gets a longer leash.

No question last 3 seasons have been disappointing. But he's had post success while ole Rick's had none. He brings back the majority of the team, we have some top notch recruits coming in, so he gets a longer leash.
Yeah not even close. Sully has had many good years and a national title. Regular season Rick is exactly that. Not much NCAA tournament success and certainly not a natty.

Yeah not even close. Sully has had many good years and a national title. Regular season Rick is exactly that. Not much NCAA tournament success and certainly not a natty.
Sully has 1 natty, 1 runner up and 7 CWS in 15 season as a head coach. CWS is equal to elite 8 and Rick has 2 of those in 35 years as a coach...so you're right not even close.

😑

O'Sully has his ring and has been amongst the elite several times. RSR has not.

O'Sully can be more compared to Big Game Bob. May possibly never win another ship but will be in contention any given season. Same with Tim Walton. Especially right now with college baseball not having their version of a Nick Saban. There might be a college baseball version of Dabo Swinney out there but no Nick Saban or even Urban Meyer.

If you don't like the BGB comparison on can compare O'Sully to Steve Spurrier tenure of 97-till he went to the Redskins. Always a contender but didn't have things line up.

RSR is no version what so ever compared to BGB or SOS. Not even Frank Beamer...or even Cow Chip. Not even a Calipari. More like a John Cooper. Manny Diaz. Not even like Harry Potter at UCF in his Auburn days. Even Beamer, Cow Chip, and Potter got them a runner up.

I wouldn't even mind if one compared O"Sully to Ed O, Les Miles, Jimbo Fisher, John Calipari, Jim Boeheim, or Larry Coker. However nowhere near RSR. RSR is Mark Richt...but that's probably too high of a bar.

I'm happy with calling O'Sully the baseball version of John Calipari. Even Mack Brown.

RSR couldn't wear Mike Martin's jock strap. RSR is John Cooper.

Last edited:
O'Sully has his ring and has been amongst the elite several times. RSR has not.

O'Sully can be more compared to Big Game Bob. May possibly never win another ship but will be in contention any given season. Same with Tim Walton. Especially right now with college baseball not having their version of a Nick Saban. There might be a college baseball version of Dabo Swinney out there but no Nick Saban or even Urban Meyer.

If you don't like the BGB comparison on can compare O'Sully to Steve Spurrier tenure of 97-till he went to the Redskins. Always a contender but didn't have things line up.

RSR is no version what so ever compared to BGB or SOS. Not even Frank Beamer...or even Cow Chip. Not even a Calipari. More like a John Cooper. Manny Diaz. Not even like Harry Potter at UCF in his Auburn days. Even Beamer, Cow Chip, and Potter got them a runner up.

I wouldn't even mind if one compared O"Sully to Ed O, Les Miles, Jimbo Fisher, John Calipari, Jim Boeheim, or Larry Coker. However nowhere near RSR. RSR is Mark Richt...but that's probably too high of a bar.

I'm happy with calling O'Sully the baseball version of John Calipari. Even Mack Brown.

RSR couldn't wear Mike Martin's jock strap. RSR is John Cooper.
So you’re saying you don’t care for RSR?

So yawl are all agreeing that my 'Devil's Advocate' post was a post count and Regional ending success??? 😉

😑

Tony Vitello is the college baseball version of Regular Season Rick

I just saw that the big ten pitcher of the year just committed to Oklahoma the strong get stronger

Reactions: jfegaly
Little bit of a rough offseason for Gators BB between transfers and the draft. Figured Sproat, Barco, Thompson were gone to the draft, but we also lost our best recruit, Xavier Isaac. We also probably lost our best transfer in. Mercer outfielder Colby Thomas, who would have started in the OF, got drafted in the 3d round.

Lost Manning, Guscette and Armstrong to transfer, all of which would have seen significant time. Manning probably would have been in consideration for a weekend starter job.

With Guscette gone, not much proven behind Riopelle, although a couple of touted recruits there.

Have IF Dale Thomas transferring in, who looks solid. And P. Hurston Waldrep, who started Southern Miss's regional should be a weekend starter, maybe our No. 1.

Plenty of young arms in the bullpen. I thought those guys pulled it together in the second half last year and were a big part of our turnaround. Starters behind Waldrep look like a little speculative.

As for our lineup, Langford, Riopelle and Cags should be pretty explosive, but nobody else has looked that scary in the SEC.

As always, in Sully we trust.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Little bit of a rough offseason for Gators BB between transfers and the draft. Figured Sproat, Barco, Thompson were gone to the draft, but we also lost our best recruit, Xavier Isaac. We also probably lost our best transfer in. Mercer outfielder Colby Thomas, who would have started in the OF, got drafted in the 3d round.

Lost Manning, Guscette and Armstrong to transfer, all of which would have seen significant time. Manning probably would have been in consideration for a weekend starter job.

With Guscette gone, not much proven behind Riopelle, although a couple of touted recruits there.

Have IF Dale Thomas transferring in, who looks solid. And P. Hurston Waldrep, who started Southern Miss's regional should be a weekend starter, maybe our No. 1.

Plenty of young arms in the bullpen. I thought those guys pulled it together in the second half last year and were a big part of our turnaround. Starters behind Waldrep look like a little speculative.

As for our lineup, Langford, Riopelle and Cags should be pretty explosive, but nobody else has looked that scary in the SEC.

As always, in Sully we trust.
We have some highly rated young guys. Will need some to step up.

Just amaze it reported that Rivera is staying. I didn’t know it was even a possibility that he would leave. But great that he is staying. That would have really hurt to lose him.

Reactions: gatordad3
Just amaze it reported that Rivera is staying. I didn’t know it was even a possibility that he would leave. But great that he is staying. That would have really hurt to lose him.
We have good pieces in place. Drawing OU in the region was tough. I believe that we could have made a deeper run. I think offensively and defensively we will be solid. Pitching is a huge question mark. An injury or two and we will be in huge trouble.

Reactions: gatordad3
At least we'll start the season knowing who our weekend starters will be - Sproat, Neely & Waldrep. Caglionone will be a huge upgrade at 1st base and we'll have Halter, Rivera, D. Fabian, Sante Fe transfer Tyler Shelnut, Cade Kurland and Dale Thomas competing for the other infield slots. Langford, Evans & Michael Robertson will probably be the starting outfield, although Tucker Talbott, recent Rutgers transfer, Richie Schiekofer, and/or a freshman like Yoel Tejada (who also plays 1st) could offer some competition. Riopelle is solid behind the plate, with freshman Heyman and possibly Lastres to give him a break and DH. If Coppola is recovered from surgery, he will be a great boost to the pitching staff. And if Cags is OK to pitch, he should get some quality innings. Abner had a really good summer season and if he can consistently find the strike zone he should be a big help. And we have Purnell, Ficarrotta, Nesbitt, Slater, Finnvold, Ursitti, Jamerson & Purnell back, plus JUCO transfer Cullen Hartzong and highly touted freshman P Jake Clemente in the mix. I think we start the season with a lot more proven experience than last year. And it seems to me more quality depth all around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT