ADVERTISEMENT

UF Softball & Baseball

I'm glad to see it, but still unsure how deserved it is since the last 12 SEC games were against the very worst teams in the league. Frankly, I thought they would be a #2 seed in a ACC regional. That's just looking at it objectively, rather than fanhood.

That being said, I was impressed with the FSU, Arky, and Texas A&M win and it showed they could hang with and possibly beat any team.

It works out well because Oklahoma isn't a great away team and is prone to giving up a lot of runs. They seem very inconsistent, however they seemed to be pulling it together during the conference tournament. They remind me of UF, and whomever has the home field advantage would win, imo.
I would argue with your characterization as UF deserving to host as “fanhood” since most reliable publications and ultimately the committee made them a seed, and I don’t think they’re all Gator fans. Bottom line is +.500 in SEC games is what it is. Everybody in the league plays good and bad teams. However we were 6-13 against the other 8 teams in the tourney, so I can see where you’re coming from. Definitely the run in the tourney got us there.

As far as no 2 seed in an ACC regional, we did win season series against FSU and Miami.

Anyway, not a vintage season but nobody will care if we can stack up 5 more wins.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I would argue with your characterization as UF deserving to host as “fanhood” since most reliable publications and ultimately the committee made them a seed, and I don’t think they’re all Gator fans. Bottom line is +.500 in SEC games is what it is. Everybody in the league plays good and bad teams. However we were 6-13 against the other 8 teams in the tourney, so I can see where you’re coming from. Definitely the run in the tourney got us there.

As far as no 2 seed in an ACC regional, we did win season series against FSU and Miami.

Anyway, not a vintage season but nobody will care if we can stack up 5 more wins.

Everybody plays good and bad teams in their conference....that much is true. However, out of the top half of the SEC, UF is 1-4 in series wins(Arkansas). They lost to the entire top half of the East and split 1-1 with the West.

As for the selection, do you think UF deserved to be in the tourney for basketball every year the last few years? It's not about being a uf fan, but rather being in the SEC does carry some benefit of the doubt.....let's be real and honest on that. Can you really say that a SEC team likely has never gotten put in a position without some conference sway in the influence? In your heart of hearts, can you claim that?

I may sound harsh, but I do see some potential and upside....but let's not forget that only weeks ago people were down on the team and rightly so. Now, because of winning the last game against FSU and doing well in the tourney it trumps the whole season?

Baseball is about getting hot at the right time, no doubt, but it doesn't mean you deserve a regional for the last 6 games or so.

Last edited:
Everybody plays good and bad teams in their conference....that much is true. However, out of the top half of the SEC, UF is 1-4 in series wins(Arkansas). They lost to the entire top half of the East and split 1-1 with the West.

As for the selection, do you think UF deserved to be in the tourney for basketball every year the last few years? It's not about being a uf fan, but rather being in the SEC does carry some benefit of the doubt.....let's be real and honest on that. Can you really say that a SEC team likely has never gotten put in a position without some conference sway in the influence? In your heart of hearts, can you claim that?

I may sound harsh, but I do see some potential and upside....but let's not forget that only weeks ago people were down on the team and rightly so. Now, because of winning the last game against FSU and doing well in the tourney it trumps the whole season?

Baseball is about getting hot at the right time, no doubt, but it doesn't mean you deserve a regional for the last 6 games or so.
Atlanta Braves from last year is a perfect example of getting hot at the right time.

Reactions: bradleygator

Can certainly debate whether they deserved to host, but I'm just glad they made the tourney as some on here were basically saying season over.

Yeah we struggled in series against the best SEC teams, no doubt. But .500 in the SEC and a tourney final appearance will get you a seed more often than not. Also, I don’t know that anyone dealt with a worse injury than us losing Barco. I just heard on the SECN tourney preview that we have hosted 13 of the last 15 years! That’s incredible. Anyway, hosting or not, we’re going to have to earn our way out of the regionals. Our regional is stacked. No cheap routes to Omaha. We see that every year.

Reactions: gatordad3

And we did win our last 4 series, although against lesser competition. A sweep in starksville is no gimme though. And USC can always lace em up.

And we did win our last 4 series, although against lesser competition. A sweep in starksville is no gimme though. And USC can always lace em up.

That's good, but I don't think it should change our position.....no more than beating Miss State in football, most years, should warrant a jump in rankings if nobody ahead loses.

Obviously I'm not going to go on a crusade about it, as I'm glad for the regional spot, but if some other team fan complains about it.....I'm not going to defend it.

Ladies softball is looking pretty good tonight. If I recall correctly, the last two times they made it to the WCS they started off in the losers bracket? Looks like that won't be the case this year with what's shaping up to be a win over OSU.

Ladies softball is looking pretty good tonight. If I recall correctly, the last two times they made it to the WCS they started off in the losers bracket? Looks like that won't be the case this year with what's shaping up to be a win over OSU.
Yep, shaky start but Hugo did a great job in relief. OU looks unbeatable. I saw they run ruled Northwestern. We get Ok St/Zona winner on Saturday.

Reactions: KingofHedgehogs
Nice win today. Relief is gonna have to bring their A+ game tomorrow because OU can put runs up in a hurry. Give them an inch, they WILL take mile.

Softball to the losers bracket. 2-0. Could never get anything going offensively. Baseball about to drop the losers bracket too. Down 9-4. This OU team can flat score. With our depleted pitching staff it will be very difficult to get out of the losers bracket.

The softball team needs a dominant pitcher. That is the biggest difference between us and some of these other teams. Our national title winning teams were built on dominant pitchers.

The softball team needs a dominant pitcher. That is the biggest difference between us and some of these other teams. Our national title winning teams were built on dominant pitchers.
Yes I agree. Also speed is great to have but we need a couple of players who can launch it.

Awesome game by the baseball team tonight. Got some surprise pitching and the bats came to life in the later innings. Forced a winner take all tomorrow. No clue who we have left to take the bump.
Winning two today just shows you what this team is made of. Winning these regionals is tough! OSU in a dogfight with Vandy and Stanford has to beat Texas St tonight just to have a shot at them tomorrow. UT was down 4-0 until they decided to put a stop to the nonsense.

Actually a potential plus that we will have both starters from games 2 and 4 available for some innings tomorrow, because they barely got warm in their starts. Potential plus because if they get innings they have to throw strikes!

Actually a potential plus that we will have both starters from games 2 and 4 available for some innings tomorrow, because they barely got warm in their starts. Potential plus because if they get innings they have to throw strikes!
Can't find if we announced who's starting?

Wow. Bullpen crumbled again. Just blew a late inning 2 run lead. Story of the season. Very young team, especially the pitching staff. Hopefully some of these guys will have great improvement from freshman to sophomore season. Tough draw getting OU.

Wow. Bullpen crumbled again. Just blew a late inning 2 run lead. Story of the season. Very young team, especially the pitching staff. Hopefully some of these guys will have great improvement from freshman to sophomore season. Tough draw getting OU.
Yeah super bummer. Like to see the offense put up more than 3 runs also. Guys played tough all season. That’s baseball.

Yep. I think we ended up with a team ERA close to the top of the SEC but just never had much confidence that the bullpen would hold leads. Seemed like it was always an adventure even when we held on.

I was encouraged by the way we played second half. Hopefully get things back on track next year. Although hosting a regional is not a bad year. Just not up to our usual standards.

Well, if there was one thing I was wrong on before this series it was that I thought whomever had home field advantage between UF and OU would win. I've yammered on for months about the frailty of the bullpen, so I honestly can't say I'm surprised.

Push comes to shove, it solidifies my feelings that UF should have been the #2 in somebody else's region.

Last edited:
Well, if there was one thing I was wrong on before this series it was that I thought whomever had home field advantage between UF and OU would win. I've yammered on for months about the frailty of the bullpen, so I honestly can't say I'm surprised.

Push comes to shove, it solidifies my feelings that UF should have been the #2 in somebody else's region.
Oklahoma got screwed not hosting a regional. They won the Big 12 and are one of the hottest teams in the nation. My guess is they will beat Va Tech and make it to Omaha.

Reactions: KingofHedgehogs
O'Sul and Walton can't win championships anymore, so now they gotta fire them both.... 😉
(jusmessin)

I tire of complaining about the refs, but that plate umpire's strike zone was 3' wide, with the bottom of it about 1' off the ground.... 😠

Reactions: Nicktheslick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT