ADVERTISEMENT

UF Softball & Baseball

About a month ago, there were some on here who talked up Bama dominating UF. Well, Bama and the lady Holes are eliminated. We ain't!

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Florida softball improved to 46-16 by destroying Wisconsin in the Regional finals 11-0 in 5 inning. The Gators outscored their 3 opponents this weekend 28-2 and are awaiting the winner of the Virginia Tech/Kentucky finals to see who they play in the Supers. If Kentucky wins, the Gators host; if VT wins the Gators travel to Blacksburg. Today Florida jumped on the Badgers, who had come from behind to knock out Georgia Tech 7-6, for 10 runs in the top of the first inning, scoring 7 runners before making an out. Florida had 15 hits in the game, led by Hannah Adams 4-4, Skylar Wallace 2-4, 3 RBI, Charla Echols 2-4, 2 RBI, Katie Kistler 1-2, 2 RBI and Reagan Walsh 1-3, 2 RBI. Lexie Delbrey (15-3) threw 4 innings, giving up 3 hits and a walk with 1 K's. Natalie Lugo pitched the 5th to complete the shutout.
Ladies had a really good weekend. Hopefully it carries over to the supers!!

Really outstanding pitching by the Gators tonight. Hopefully the bats can wake up tomorrow but good to get the W tonight.

Florida baseball goes to 36-20 by winning their opening game of the SEC tournament over South Carolina 2-1 in 10 innings in a big time pitcher's duel. Brandon Sproat threw 8.1 innings, throwing 110 pitches, giving up 4 hits, 1 walk and 1 run with 7 K's, but didn't get the win. He had a no hitter until the 7th inning when SC got 2 singles but didn't score. The Gators scored in the 4th inning on a 2-out double by Josh Rivera and an infield single from Jac Caglionone during which their shortstop made a throwing error to 1st allowing Rivera to score on the play. Florida couldn't get much going offensively either, as SC's 2 pitchers were excellent as well, allowing only 6 hits, 3 walks and getting 14 strikeouts. The Gators took a 1-0 lead to the 9th and Sproat got the first out on a pop up, but then surrendered back to back singles putting runners on 1st and 3rd. Ryan Slater came on in relief and induced a ground ball to SS. They got only the force at 2nd and the run scored tying the game. In the bottom of the 10th Ty Evans got a 1 out double and Kendrick Calilao, pinch hitting for Kris Armstrong, singled up the middle, with Evans being held up at 3rd, KC advancing to 2nd on a throwing error by their centerfielder. Colby Halter hit a line drive to CF, Evans tagged up and it appeared he had been tagged out at home, but the catcher dropped the ball on the tag, ending the game. UF plays Texas A&M sometime Wednesday, weather permitting. They are scheduled to be the 3rd game of the day, but rain is expected most of the day Wednesday & Thursday.

Good bounce back by the baseball team today. 7-5 over Arky in elimination game. Great starting pitching, bullpen a little shaky. Get Bama/AM loser tomorrow morning.

Reactions: bradleygator
Coach waits too long to pull a struggling pitcher imo, especially in the early innings.... (he knows more than any of us, but that's the way it seems to me)

Hightower is a good pitcher, but anyone can have an off day, and when they are having an off day, it's doing them a favor to pull them for someone else....

Reactions: g8rpaul1
Pretty good showing by BB in the tourney so far. Probably have to win 2 today to have a chance to host. And it’s hard to see the gators bullpen being deep enough to go on a run the next couple days, but who knows. aTm and Bama are stretched thin too. Bama probably needs to win the tourney to get in the postseason so they will be a handful I’m sure. Most projections I read have us in the Miami regional.

Men's track and field sending 9 competitors to the NCAA championships. We have national leading marks in 3 events. We will need all to perform where they are ranked to have a shot at natty. Based on this years performance seedings won't need as many points in years past to win the natty.

Yo! Gators demolish aTm to get to the final. Love it. Love the way this team competes. Riopelle pops it up to second base up 7-0 and is busting it every step and ends up on second when the dude loses it in the lights. Thats how this team plays. Unreal effort by the bullpen today.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Yo! Gators demolish aTm to get to the final. Love it. Love the way this team competes. Riopelle pops it up to second base up 7-0 and is busting it every step and ends up on second when the dude loses it in the lights. Thats how this team plays. Unreal effort by the bullpen today.
Yes. The hitting has been there most of the year but now these highly touted pitchers are putting it together.

Reactions: bradleygator
Big matchup today vs the Vols.

We took them to extras one game during our series back during the season. Anything is possible. We have a punchers chance.

Go Gators!!!

Big matchup today vs the Vols.

We took them to extras one game during our series back during the season. Anything is possible. We have a punchers chance.

Go Gators!!!
If I remember correctly we blew a late inning lead a couple of times. Had a chance to pick up 1 or even 2 wins but couldn't get it done. Curious to see how Sully handles the pitching.

If I remember correctly we blew a late inning lead a couple of times. Had a chance to pick up 1 or even 2 wins but couldn't get it done. Curious to see how Sully handles the pitching.
We held our own today. Although I'm not into moral victories and such this team is showing promise.

As much as I dislike the anything UT, this team is legit. We showed we can hang with some tough teams. Clicking at the right time.

The error really led to the 4 run inning. Make that play and it might be a different tune. I believe officially 2 of the 8 vol runs were unearned. We had 1 of our 5.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
To be honest, both teams are what they are at this point in the season. The baseball team especially has underachieved for 2 years in a row. Recruiting has been very good but the team isn’t winning. There is something wrong
Softball only SEC team to make it to WCWS. Walton getting the most out of this team at the right time. Always have to let the season play out in baseball and softball..

Uhhh theres more than 9 baseball games left. Also, theres nothing wrong with stating problems at the time they are happening and the end results dont change the actuality of the problems at the time that they occur. We did it for football and basketball.....baseball is no different.

It will be hard to really distinguish improvement for the rest of the season if UF does win any future series because they are going to play the 3 worst teams in the East and 2nd worst in the West.

This is the perfect opportunity to try to get over .500 in the SEC that might be needed to make a regional.
Baseball played its way into a regional host! Hopefully our hot play can continue...

Softball only SEC team to make it to WCWS. Walton getting the most out of this team at the right time. Always have to let the season play out in baseball and softball..
If you are going to get hot, this is the time of year to do it. That goes for both baseball and softball. Very happy to see us hosting a baseball regional, particularly after we struggled so hard this year.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
If you are going to get hot, this is the time of year to do it. That goes for both baseball and softball. Very happy to see us hosting a baseball regional, particularly after we struggled so hard this year.
You see our region? Good lord it's by far the toughest of the 16 IMHO....Oklahoma and Liberty both top 40 teams.

For baseball, really have to give the team and sully credit for improving as the year went along. I think we’re all so used to having sully roll these kids out of the bullpen throwing mid 90s, that you forget that those are extraordinary circumstances. When you hit a patch like that, you win SEC titles and go to Omaha (see Tennessee this year and us from 2012-2019).

Sully had to work a lot harder this year and buddy he put in the work. Found us two good starters, found the guys he could trust in the bullpen and found spots late in the season and the SEC tourney to get the inexperienced kids some innings and confidence.

And he completely overhauled the lineup. Guys like Calilau and Halter were supposed to be mainstays of the lineup and both ended up bottom of the lineup or bench players. Last time we played Tennessee, Halter was batting leadoff instead of Langford! He realized Cags and Riopelle were studs and found them ABs. Loved the fact that he got Guscette back involved so we’ve got some more roster flexibility going into the postseason.

So, whatever happens now, and I hope it’s a trip to Omaha, really have to credit Sully and these kids. They are great competitors.

I don’t follow the ladies that much but extremely impressive to go into a super and beat the national 3 seed.

You see our region? Good lord it's by far the toughest of the 16 IMHO....Oklahoma and Liberty both top 40 teams.
Best thing you can have is a #3 good enough to beat #2, let them waste their best pitching against each other.

If we can beat CMU with our #3 starter we will have a huge advantage the rest of the way.

When both 3 and 4 are bad, the top 2 seeds rest their aces for the second game, no advantage there.

For baseball, really have to give the team and sully credit for improving as the year went along. I think we’re all so used to having sully roll these kids out of the bullpen throwing mid 90s, that you forget that those are extraordinary circumstances. When you hit a patch like that, you win SEC titles and go to Omaha (see Tennessee this year and us from 2012-2019).

Sully had to work a lot harder this year and buddy he put in the work. Found us two good starters, found the guys he could trust in the bullpen and found spots late in the season and the SEC tourney to get the inexperienced kids some innings and confidence.

And he completely overhauled the lineup. Guys like Calilau and Halter were supposed to be mainstays of the lineup and both ended up bottom of the lineup or bench players. Last time we played Tennessee, Halter was batting leadoff instead of Langford! He realized Cags and Riopelle were studs and found them ABs. Loved the fact that he got Guscette back involved so we’ve got some more roster flexibility going into the postseason.

So, whatever happens now, and I hope it’s a trip to Omaha, really have to credit Sully and these kids. They are great competitors.

I don’t follow the ladies that much but extremely impressive to go into a super and beat the national 3 seed.
Great post

Best thing you can have is a #3 good enough to beat #2, let them waste their best pitching against each other.

If we can beat CMU with our #3 starter we will have a huge advantage the rest of the way.

When both 3 and 4 are bad, the top 2 seeds rest their aces for the second game, no advantage there.
Do you think we will save our #1?

Baseball played its way into a regional host! Hopefully our hot play can continue...

I'm glad to see it, but still unsure how deserved it is since the last 12 SEC games were against the very worst teams in the league. Frankly, I thought they would be a #2 seed in a ACC regional. That's just looking at it objectively, rather than fanhood.

That being said, I was impressed with the FSU, Arky, and Texas A&M win and it showed they could hang with and possibly beat any team.

It works out well because Oklahoma isn't a great away team and is prone to giving up a lot of runs. They seem very inconsistent, however they seemed to be pulling it together during the conference tournament. They remind me of UF, and whomever has the home field advantage would win, imo.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT