ADVERTISEMENT

UCF AD proclaims us the National Champs:

Of course there's a remedy. If you're UCF schedule some big boys in Power 5 conferences and beat em. Simple enough. Don't schedule teams like Austin Peay and FIU and then cry about how not fair it is. Teams in Power 5 conferences get roasted for playing teams that caliber, yet they get praised. Ohio St. gets no credit for beating a bad Maryland team, UCF gets propped up for doing it. The double standard works both ways.

Honestly though...that's easier said then done. Trying to make any profit they can by scheduling that extra home game. They don't get big TV contract money like P5 conferences.

But I guess they should get on Bama's schedule and knock out the Bama vs Mercer games.

But then a Mercer would then go 12-0 playing lesser opponents and have their own parade. :cool::p

Oh please. In what world do you live that you think, with an actual meaningful game on the line, that UCF would stand a chance against almost any of the teams ranked ahead of them?

The fact that you brought up 2007 is ****ing hilarious. That was very similar to this year, where no team was really dominant and you got Ohio State and a two loss LSU in the finals. The SEC still won with Les Miles and his two loss squad beating Jim Tressel and his one loss Ohio State squad. Florida dicked itself out of the the SECCG and of all teams, TENNESSEE snuck into the game (their last appearance).

Grow the **** up and realize that going undefeated against shit teams and beating decent (not great) teams from the SEC or any power 5 conference does not mean that your undertalentrd but well coached school is worthy of anything but what they are: an undefeated mid-major who won the peach bowl against a deflated and beat up 3 loss team that is now a 4 loss team, which btw could have won that game. It’s not like UCF blew them out.

Absolutely pathetic that they’re even doing this. It’s embarrassing. And the fact that apparently their fans can’t see that says a lot.

Parade yourselves around draped in the glory of decades gone by where teams proclaimed themselves champs for multiple reasons.

What makes you pathetic is that you fail to realize how many respectable teams don’t claim titles. Florida could have claimed it in 1984, they had the clout and actual publications backing them, Auburn could have done so in 2004, but they don’t. They didn’t win it.

UCF is being declared the champ by their own self-serving president, which is far worse than the Tuscaloosa Times naming Alabama the champ.

Enjoy it, fine, but the players know, and will remember this nonsense in the future and will be embarrassed to call themselves “national champs.”
What is that even supposed to mean? Define a 'game that matters'. Are you really going to sit here and say the Sugar Bowl 'didn't matter' to Auburn? To the national championship hunt, no, it didn't 'matter'. Did the FSU-UF game this season 'matter'? Does Army-Navy 'matter'? You think these kids go out there and half ass it every practice and every game because it 'doesn't matter'? GTFO.

My 2007 comment was referring to the depth of the SEC, nothing more, nothing less. Not sure how that went over your head... on second thought, I totally see how that went over your head...

In 2007 LSU won the title. 2 teams finish in the top 3. You had 6 teams in the top 25 in addition to South Carolina and Kentucky that both spent time in the top 10. Defending champion UF along with the Heisman winner. Arguably UGA was the best team at the end of the season in the country and they didn't even make it to Atlanta. The depth of the SEC in 2007 (or 2011 for example where arguably 3 of the top 5 were from the SEC west) blows the current SEC out of the water. There was no depth at all. Beyond Alabama, UGA and Auburn there really wasn't anything, particularly when held next to a vintage year in the SEC (like 2007).

You're parading Alabama's 2017 schedule around like it's some sort of murderer's row... it wasn't. What was their best win, prior to Clemson? LSU? A team that lost to Troy at home? Don't get me wrong, LSU is good. A really nice win, but a resume maker it is not. What's after that? Mississippi State? Again, a nice win. They beat FSU at full strength which is prolly worth mentioning too as they weren't the same after that game. Nothing to write home about. Is it that much more impressive than beating Memphis twice which is what UCF did.

Look at it this way...

does one of these resumes stand out over the other?

Memphis
Memphis
USF

or

LSU
Mississippi State
FSU

What did Alabama do, in the regular season, to deserve a shot over UCF, or Auburn for that matter? If I am an Auburn fan I am still pissed off we had to play UGA while Alabama sat on their asses at home.

LOL at 'respectable' teams not claiming titles. I wouldn't have had a problem with Auburn doing it in 2004 either FWIW.

Anything 1984 UF (or 2012 Ohio State or 1993 Auburn) claims would be, to me, illegitimate as they were all the beneficiaries of rampant rules violations (ie cheating their asses off) in previous seasons, hence they were on probation. If you want to claim a tainted title, be my guest. The 'fake news' New York Times giving the Gators the title in 1984? LOL. Yeah, put that up in your stadium and watch us all laugh at you... or better yet, let's laugh UF's official SEC! SEC! tweet. Far more embarrassing than anything UCF has done.

image.jpg

LOL!

Last edited:
What is that even supposed to mean? Define a 'game that matters'. Are you really going to sit here and say the Sugar Bowl 'didn't matter' to Auburn? To the national championship hunt, no, it didn't 'matter'. Did the FSU-UF game this season 'matter'? Does Army-Navy 'matter'? You think these kids go out there and half ass it every practice and every game because it 'doesn't matter'? GTFO.

My 2007 comment was referring to the depth of the SEC, nothing more, nothing less. Not sure how that went over your head... on second thought, I totally see how that went over your head...

In 2007 LSU won the title. 2 teams finish in the top 3. You had 6 teams in the top 25 in addition to South Carolina and Kentucky that both spent time in the top 10. Defending champion UF along with the Heisman winner. Arguably UGA was the best team at the end of the season in the country and they didn't even make it to Atlanta. The depth of the SEC in 2007 (or 2011 for example where arguably 3 of the top 5 were from the SEC west) blows the current SEC out of the water. There was no depth at all. Beyond Alabama, UGA and Auburn there really wasn't anything, particularly when held next to a vintage year in the SEC (like 2007).

You're parading Alabama's 2017 schedule around like it's some sort of murderer's row... it wasn't. What was their best win, prior to Clemson? LSU? A team that lost to Troy at home? Don't get me wrong, LSU is good. A really nice win, but a resume maker it is not. What's after that? Mississippi State? Again, a nice win. They beat FSU at full strength which is prolly worth mentioning too as they weren't the same after that game. Nothing to write home about. Is it that much more impressive than beating Memphis twice which is what UCF did.

Look at it this way...

Memphis
Memphis
USF

or

LSU
Mississippi State
FSU

What did Alabama do, in the regular season, to deserve a shot over UCF, or Auburn for that matter? If I am an Auburn fan I am still pissed off we had to play UGA while Alabama sat on their asses at home.

LOL at 'respectable' teams not claiming titles. I wouldn't have had a problem with Auburn doing it in 2004 either FWIW.

Anything 1984 UF (or 2012 Ohio State or 1993 Auburn) claims would be, to me, illegitimate as they were all the beneficiaries of rampant rules violations (ie cheating their asses off) in previous seasons, hence they were on probation. If you want to claim a tainted title, be my guest. The 'fake news' New York Times giving the Gators the title in 1984? LOL. Yeah, put that up in your stadium and watch us all laugh at you... or better yet, let's laugh UF's official SEC! SEC! tweet. Far more embarrassing than anything UCF has done.

image.jpg

LOL!

LSU, MSU, FSU, are better than playing Memphis twice and USF.

By a mile.

You’re arguing that UCF’s record padded but bad teams is good because they beat two teams that’s records are also padded by the same bad teams.

You can’t be that idiotic.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
LSU, MSU, FSU, are better than playing Memphis twice and USF.

By a mile.

You’re arguing that UCF’s record padded but bad teams is good because they beat two teams that’s records are also padded by the same bad teams.

You can’t be that idiotic.
LOL.

I can't argue one is better than the other, but 'by a mile'? Nope. Please explain that one without subjective opinion on 'who sucks' and who doesn't.

Like LSU & Mississippi State's records weren't 'padded'? Who did they beat outside the SEC to build themselves up? BYU? Lulz. LSU lost to Troy. LSU was nowhere near being significantly better than Memphis. Outside of LSU beating Auburn name one impressive win either had. I'll hang up and listen.

LOL.

I can't argue one is better than the other, but 'by a mile'? Nope. Please explain that one without subjective opinion on 'who sucks' and who doesn't.

Like LSU & Mississippi State's records weren't 'padded'? Who did they beat outside the SEC to build themselves up? BYU? Lulz. LSU lost to Troy. LSU was nowhere near being significantly better than Memphis. Outside of LSU beating Auburn name one impressive win either had. I'll hang up and listen.

Okay so I’m going to pretend you aren’t trolling.

They played much better talent and much better teams than the ones the boys from the AAC did.

How in the world you can’t understand that is laughable.

Okay so I’m going to pretend you aren’t trolling.

They played much better talent and much better teams than the ones the boys from the AAC did.

How in the world you can’t understand that is laughable.
LOL.

Who had more talent? LSU or Troy?

Listen, UCF had a great season. You deserved more respect than you got throughout the year and I am happy you guys are enjoying your Sugar Bowl win.

Perhaps you'll get a call to join the Big 12 one day. Until then, you guys are not ever going to get the benefit of the doubt over Alabama or Ohio State. Boise State still wouldn't and they have been having seasons like yours for over a decade now.

I actually think you deserved a shot but when you come on a Gator board and make fun of titles we don't claim like the '84 it shifts whatever support you may garner into a thought of how dumb that statement is.

Florida doesn't claim bogus titles like Alabama. We may only have three but they are all legitimate.

Reactions: gw2kpro
UCF AD thinks that UCF is the National Champ, (but he's wroong)

So, where does the 'Coaches Poll' have them ranked for 2017, compared to the weak SEC?

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
12. Auburn
18. LSU
20. MsSt
Both the NC and the runner up.
With a total of 5 Teams in the Top 20
========

7. UCF
21. USF
24. Memp
1 Team in the Top 10, with 2 more in the Top 25.
=========

UCF's season ranking span went from NR to #10.
Beating a 4 loss #12 AU in the Sugar Bowl got them up to #7.
BTW, 4 loss #18 LSU also beat AU.

=====================

The fact that all of you 2nd Tier chumps are here on a Gator board trying to get some kind of validation, tells anyone not brain dead that your AD is just trying to get as much mileage outta this season as he can. That's his job so we understand. :cool:

However, fans like you guys are beginning to be an embarrassment for UCF. If you're not careful, you will eventually erode any of your AD's gains if you try to keep this kind of moronic crap up.... :rolleyes:

I am not going to say that UCF should have been in the playoff but there is an argument to be made (even if it’s a weak one). I think we also have to take into consideration that UCF biggest win was against Auburn and that was during the bowl game after the top four was already in the playoff. If they beat Auburn in the regular season, prior to the selection, they would have had way more beef being left out then.

But I also have a problem with Alabama making the playoff. They did not win their conference or their division and what that means is they got to sit home and rest up while the other teams had to play to get in. So the division champs had to play to get in the playoff (they win they are in they lose and they are out) while Alabama got to sit home with no risk of losing a game or players to injury and get in anyway. So basically Alabama got rewarded for losing their division. To me that makes no sense and gives a huge advantage to Alabama.

I am not going to say that UCF should have been in the playoff but there is an argument to be made (even if it’s a weak one). I think we also have to take into consideration that UCF biggest win was against Auburn and that was during the bowl game after the top four was already in the playoff. If they beat Auburn in the regular season, prior to the selection, they would have had way more beef being left out then.

But I also have a problem with Alabama making the playoff. They did not win their conference or their division and what that means is they got to sit home and rest up while the other teams had to play to get in. So the division champs had to play to get in the playoff (they win they are in they lose and they are out) while Alabama got to sit home with no risk of losing a game or players to injury and get in anyway. So basically Alabama got rewarded for losing their division. To me that makes no sense and gives a huge advantage to Alabama.

And if you require winning your conference, then we end up with 2-3 loss teams many years simply because they won their conference but the conference was weak.

Georgia could have easily have lost to Notre Dame and been a two loss champ. So could Auburn. USC. The Big10.

Two loss teams in the finals sucks.

And if you require winning your conference, then we end up with 2-3 loss teams many years simply because they won their conference but the conference was weak.

Georgia could have easily have lost to Notre Dame and been a two loss champ. So could Auburn. USC. The Big10.

Two loss teams in the finals sucks.

Two loss teams in the final may suck but rewarding a team for losing and sitting home, I think sucks more. Alabama risked nothing and got to sit home while the other teams were playing to not only win their conference but get a spot in the playoff. Basically teams that did better than Alabama during conference play got punished and Alabama got rewarded.

Two loss teams in the final may suck but rewarding a team for losing and sitting home, I think sucks more. Alabama risked nothing and got to sit home while the other teams were playing to not only win their conference but get a spot in the playoff. Basically teams that did better than Alabama during conference play got punished and Alabama got rewarded.

Hey didn’t do better.

Georgia, Auburn and Alabama all had one conference loss.

Alabama’s just happened to come to another one loss conference team in the last game of the regular season. Georgia played in a weak East and lost to the one good team from the West.

Perspective. I want the best teams in. Alabama is one of the best teams. They just had an unfortunate loss.

Hey didn’t do better.

Georgia, Auburn and Alabama all had one conference loss.

Alabama’s just happened to come to another one loss conference team in the last game of the regular season. Georgia played in a weak East and lost to the one good team from the West.

Perspective. I want the best teams in. Alabama is one of the best teams. They just had an unfortunate loss.
Should Ohio State have gotten in two years ago?

Didn't tOSU get in the 2016 playoffs without winning or even playing for their Conf. Championship?

The stipulation is being one of the Top 4 Teams at the end of the regular season. Being a Conf. Champion is not a requirement, otherwise the Neutered Lame would never qualify, since they NEVER play in a Conf. Championship while they sit home and rest.... o_O

Didn't tOSU get in the 2016 playoffs without winning or even playing for their Conf. Championship?

The stipulation is being one of the Top 4 Teams at the end of the regular season. Being a Conf. Champion is not a requirement, otherwise the Neutered Lame would never qualify, since they NEVER play in a Conf. Championship while they sit home and rest.... o_O
I am talking about the 2015 Bucleyes, the defending National Champions who had one unfortunate loss to Michigan State but was still more than likely the best team in the nation.

The 2016 Buckeyes were not nearly up to that level.

I'm not advocating their inclusion either, just comparing them to this years Alabama.

If you say it's about the four best teams and you take out conference or division championships I don't know how you could exclude that team. Eye test, they passed it and even though Michigan State beat them and won the conference title I think everyone knew Ohio State was better.

Auburn beat Alabama even more convincingly but Alabama was better.

I am talking about the 2015 Bucleyes, the defending National Champions who had one unfortunate loss to Michigan State but was still more than likely the best team in the nation.

If you say it's about the four best teams and you take out conference or division championships I don't know how you could exclude that team. Eye test, they passed it and even though Michigan State beat them and won the conference title I think everyone knew Ohio State was better.

Auburn beat Alabama even more convincingly but Alabama was better.[/QUOTE]

And I was addressing the gnole that was whining about UA being in the playoffs this season.
They are the NC that knocked #1 Clemp's-son's dic-in-the-dirt before beating UGly, who sent the dust-bowl Chokers home.... :cool:

Look at it this way...

Memphis
Memphis
USF

or

LSU
Mississippi State
FSU

image.jpg

LOL!

Holy sh## u r delusional.

Okay but the teams that got in front of them were undefeated SEC champ Alabama, undefeated ACC champ Clemson, 1 loss Big12 champ Oklahoma and 1 loss Big10 champ Michigan State.

Your argument would be better if everybody had one loss or if Okalahoma had 2 losses, but that wasn’t the case.

Alabama went 11-1 and missed out on going to the SECCG because they lost to Auburn (who had a conference loss already and then obviously won the head-to-head tie breaker).

Ohio State was a two loss champ, and the Iowa loss was abhorrent. They lost to probably the best team on their schedule at home (out of conference at that) and then had an embarrassing loss. Beating Wisconsin didn’t really help their case because nobody thought Wisconsin was as good as their record playing in a weak division.

Who would you have replaced in the final four that year to put OSU in?

I get what you are saying Danny and you have good points but does not negate the fact that Alabama got to sit home and risk nothing where all the other teams in the playoff had to play that extra game (and win) to get into the playoffs.

So I guess with the playoff era do we even need to have conference titles anymore? Like you said a two loss team despite being conference champs may not deserve to be there. Take auburn this year. If u scratch the conference title games, GA does not have to play a extra game and probably less controversy leaving out a confrence champ in Ohio state over a one loss Alabama. Think the only way to really solve this is to scratch confrence titles and take the top 4 teams in the playoff.

Okay but the teams that got in front of them were undefeated SEC champ Alabama, undefeated ACC champ Clemson, 1 loss Big12 champ Oklahoma and 1 loss Big10 champ Michigan State.

Your argument would be better if everybody had one loss or if Okalahoma had 2 losses, but that wasn’t the case.

Alabama went 11-1 and missed out on going to the SECCG because they lost to Auburn (who had a conference loss already and then obviously won the head-to-head tie breaker).

Ohio State was a two loss champ, and the Iowa loss was abhorrent. They lost to probably the best team on their schedule at home (out of conference at that) and then had an embarrassing loss. Beating Wisconsin didn’t really help their case because nobody thought Wisconsin was as good as their record playing in a weak division.

Who would you have replaced in the final four that year to put OSU in?

If it were about the four best teams and not about regular season titles my answer is Oklahoma or Michigan State. I know Michigan State beat them and Oklahoma won the Big 12 but what the committee has now told us is that stuff isn't as important as we have been led to believe.

If you would have asked that room in 2015 to put in two teams from the same conference they would have said nope, gotta be national.

This year Wisconsin had no embarrassing losses in the regular season or any at all. Were they considered?

Alabama was thought and proved to be the best team all year, they had one unfortunate loss. Ohio State was thought to be one of the best returning teams of all time. They had one unfortunate loss and steamrolled Michigan and Notre Dame but were never considered because Michigan State or Iowa would win the conference. Conference titles carry weight some years but not all?

For the record I have thought Alabama was the best team and they proved it. I'm just tired of computers and chair people deciding who gets to play for a title when the margin is thin enough we can argue the merits of each team.

We need an eight team playoff or a sixteen team playoff like the FBS or whatever they are called.

Reactions: ocalaman
If it were about the four best teams and not about regular season titles my answer is Oklahoma or Michigan State. I know Michigan State beat them and Oklahoma won the Big 12 but what the committee has now told us is that stuff isn't as important as we have been led to believe.

If you would have asked that room in 2015 to put in two teams from the same conference they would have said nope, gotta be national.

This year Wisconsin had no embarrassing losses in the regular season or any at all. Were they considered?

Alabama was thought and proved to be the best team all year, they had one unfortunate loss. Ohio State was thought to be one of the best returning teams of all time. They had one unfortunate loss and steamrolled Michigan and Notre Dame but were never considered because Michigan State or Iowa would win the conference. Conference titles carry weight some years but not all?

For the record I have thought Alabama was the best team and they proved it. I'm just tired of computers and chair people deciding who gets to play for a title when the margin is thin enough we can argue the merits of each team.

We need an eight team playoff or a sixteen team playoff like the FBS or whatever they are called.

I’ve made it clear I only want six teams.

At least do that before we go to 8.

16?

Jesus...

I’ve made it clear I only want six teams.

At least do that before we go to 8.

16?

Jesus...
It would be a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't go lower than eight or higher than sixteen.

We're locked in at four for the remainder of this contract.... however long that is.

It would be a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't go lower than eight or higher than sixteen.

We're locked in at four for the remainder of this contract.... however long that is.
Higher than 16? Jesus dude....that’s ****ing absurd.

In no world is even 16 close to legitimate.

Reactions: fsu939913
I can just see it, some team that just squeaked in on a c*nt hair gets hot and wins the whole thing.

Like the 10-6 Giants posing to the undefeated patriots in. Enlast game of the regular season but beats them in the super bowl?

Or when they were 9-7 and beat them again?

Boy that’s what I want college football to turn into.

Higher than 16? Jesus dude....that’s ****ing absurd.

In no world is even 16 close to legitimate.
In your 6 team playoff we would have two teams getting byes. That would provide a huge advantage in college football. That would just switch the debate from who is in to who gets the bye.

Eight teams eliminates any outstanding issues and the competitive advantages a bye would provide.

Sixteen is too much but I could see it expanding to that at a maximum Anything over that is beyond ludicrous imo.

In your 6 team playoff we would have two teams getting byes. That would provide a huge advantage in college football. That would just switch the debate from who is in to who gets the bye.

Eight teams eliminates any outstanding issues and the competitive advantages a bye would provide.

Sixteen is too much but I could see it expanding to that at a maximum Anything over that is beyond ludicrous imo.

Kind of like bama getting the bye this yr huh

Things don’t have to be fair.

We’re allowed to reward excellence.

Things don’t have to be fair.

We’re allowed to reward excellence.
Fair enough, what to do if you have four undefeated P5 champions. More drama.

Who decides what degree of excellence is worthy of a huge advantage? You think if Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Notre Dame all have comparable resumes there wont be more complaining if just two of those get a bye while the others have to fight it out just to play a fresh opponent?

The point of fixing something is not to shift the problems around or create other issues.

Here's the fix:

1. Go back to 10 or 11 game regular seasons. Let's get back to every single game being a playoff and reward excellence. Not just trying to get through the season with 1 or 2 losses like it is now. A team that makes it to the title game plays 15 games now, it's way too much. Is this college football or the NFL?
2. Keep it at 4 teams with the BCS rankings deciding the 4 teams.
3. Scrap divisions and require all conferences to have a round robin format.
4. Winner of each conference gets in.
5. Profit

Reactions: EvilWayz
Why don’t we just do away with conference championship? They have proven to be meaningless in the playoff era. If you scrap conference championship you can add a 8 team playoff without adding an extra game these kids have to play

Why don’t we just do away with conference championship? They have proven to be meaningless in the playoff era. If you scrap conference championship you can add a 8 team playoff without adding an extra game these kids have to play

I agree with ooze. Scrap the divisions, not the championship games.

The SEC started the championship games if I am not mistaken. The BIG and Pac 10 now 12 kind of looked down on the idea until the super conference era started and they realized there was money to be made.

Funny to think only the outlaws played them in the 90's. By outlaws I mean non traditional conferences like the SEC or Big 12.

I agree with ooze. Scrap the divisions, not the championship games.

But why? If you scrape the divisions but keep the championship game it does not make a lot of sense to me. If you expand the playoffs and also have the conference title games you are adding an extra game to an already packed season. It’s a lot to ask of these college kids to not only sacrifice more time but their bodies as well. The conference title is basically meaningless, so why not just scrap it all together? Scrap the championship move to 8 team playoff and you have a better playoff system without adding a extra game. To me it sounds like a win win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT