ADVERTISEMENT

Football Miami @ Florida...

We'll defintely get an idea if our offensive line has improved.

Yep unless we have some new game plan where Mertz is just dropping back a couple of steps and throwing passes very quickly we will find out what we have real quick on passing plays. We will know if Barber's injury was the main issue and if the transfer Dickson can handle real good pass rushers. Even the guards will be tested a lot with that probably.

The more sadgator thinks about it, the more he isn’t so sure about all the Cam Ward hype…

sadgator’s sure he’s good and all, but playing in the Swamp ain’t no picnic…
He's never played in an environment like the Swamp before and never will in the future. If they come out a bit flat or have some bad luck, it could roll down hill.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Ignorant or lazy writers try to use last years players and coaches to make their pre-DIC-tions on the upcoming outcome of games. IMOHO, flipping a coin would have the same prediction value.... 🙄

Right off the top of this article, I'd say that the Mertz/Lagway QB combo are better than Ward.

The writer incorrectly suggests that Lagway will only play if Mertz gets injured out of the game.
If that turns out to be the case, then I'll be joining the Fire Napier section of the Gator's fandom.....
🤓

After the QB comparison start, the writer continues with speculation and opinion based on horse-dukie imo.
However, the fevered among us will prolly think that he/she/it is a Delphi Oracle.....
😉

What produced such a high degree of belief (in UF improvement)? Napier said Monday that his team has made advancements in nearly every capacity. It plays fast but is more disciplined. It takes care of the football on offense and takes it away on defense. It's more fundamentally sound and better equipped to take risks in its hunt for big rewards.

"Ultimately," Napier said Monday during his first game-week press conference of the year, "I think all parts of our team, we've improved."

Factoid: The 2024 team, is not the 2023 team..... ---->> The iG is stepping out on a very thin limb --- UF 38 - 27 scUM
(fingers crossed - toes crossed - legs crossed - eyes crossed - and praying to a cross....)
😌

https://247sports.com/college/florida/longformarticle/florida-football-position-by-position-preview-gators-miami-hurricanes-quarterback-offensive-line-depth-chart-season-opener-235198359/#2472864

Reactions: sadgator
Ignorant or lazy writers try to use last years players and coaches to make their pre-DIC-tions on the upcoming outcome of games. IMOHO, flipping a coin would have the same prediction value.... 🙄

Right off the top of this article, I'd say that the Mertz/Lagway QB combo are better than Ward.

The writer incorrectly suggests that Lagway will only play if Mertz gets injured out of the game.
If that turns out to be the case, then I'll be joining the Fire Napier section of the Gator's fandom.....
🤓

After the QB comparison start, the writer continues with speculation and opinion based on horse-dukie imo.
However, the fevered among us will prolly think that he/she/it is a Delphi Oracle.....
😉

What produced such a high degree of belief (in UF improvement)? Napier said Monday that his team has made advancements in nearly every capacity. It plays fast but is more disciplined. It takes care of the football on offense and takes it away on defense. It's more fundamentally sound and better equipped to take risks in its hunt for big rewards.

"Ultimately," Napier said Monday during his first game-week press conference of the year, "I think all parts of our team, we've improved."

Factoid: The 2024 team, is not the 2023 team..... ---->> The iG is stepping out on a very thin limb --- UF 38 - 27 scUM
(fingers crossed - toes crossed - legs crossed - eyes crossed - and praying to a cross....)
😌

https://247sports.com/college/florida/longformarticle/florida-football-position-by-position-preview-gators-miami-hurricanes-quarterback-offensive-line-depth-chart-season-opener-235198359/#2472864

I agree Insta a lot of BS. But this game will be tough to win...

Look, here’s sadgator’s quick thoughts…

Everybody’s all focused on how Miami has improved their roster and are supposed to be significantly improved…but let’s get real…at 7-6 last year…it ain’t like we’re talkin’ about a team of world beaters to begin with…

Ward is certainly an improvement, but it’s year 1 of a transfer qb in a new system. The Swamp at 3:30 p.m. isn’t exactly a great place to get your feet wet and start feeling comfortable.

Maybe Miami will be much improved and maybe Ward will be great, but it’s not like Florida is playing against a team that it has no business playing. If Mertz can continue his trajectory from last year…Miami isn’t going to run away with this game…and if it’s close…sadgator will always bet on BHG…

Napier’s already shown that he can get them up for a huge Game 1 at home. They don’t get any bigger than this. Just sayin’…

Look, here’s sadgator’s quick thoughts…

Everybody’s all focused on how Miami has improved their roster and are supposed to be significantly improved…but let’s get real…at 7-6 last year…it ain’t like we’re talkin’ about a team of world beaters to begin with…

Ward is certainly an improvement, but it’s year 1 of a transfer qb in a new system. The Swamp at 3:30 p.m. isn’t exactly a great place to get your feet wet and start feeling comfortable.

Maybe Miami will be much improved and maybe Ward will be great, but it’s not like Florida is playing against a team that it has no business playing. If Mertz can continue his trajectory from last year…Miami isn’t going to run away with this game…and if it’s close…sadgator will always bet on BHG…

Napier’s already shown that he can get them up for a huge Game 1 at home. They don’t get any bigger than this. Just sayin’…
One other point - UF fans are the only ones that look at other teams and think "man they got better" - but we never look at UF and think we may have gotten better lol.

We'll know all we need to know on Sat but I expect us to be a better team.

It’s just funny how so many of the National media pundits are so hyping up Miami’s “playoff” chances and how “improved” they are, and yet almost none of them are really even considering the fact that this game is in Gainesville…

Katie George was absolutely gushing about Cam Ward yesterday on College Sports Today and how Miami is team on her playoff list. She’ll be on the sideline. Not one mention of anything about any difficulty he/they will face, just how great and strong Miami is.

It’s interesting how everybody (including Katie) will likely say after the game how loud it was or how much of an impact it had, but leading in, everyone seems to just forget that like it’s not really much of a thing…

How many times have we seen it?

It’s like…sure, Florida Field, no big deal…OooKaaaaay…

icegif-4587.gif

Last edited:
It’s just funny how so many of the National media pundits are so hyping up Miami’s “playoff” chances and how “improved” they are, and yet almost none of them are really even considering the fact that this game is in Gainesville…

Katie George was absolutely gushing about Cam Ward yesterday on College Sports Today and how Miami is team on her playoff list. She’ll be on the sideline. Not one mention of anything about any difficulty he/they will face, just how great and strong Miami is.

It’s interesting how everybody (including Katie) will likely say after the game how loud it was or how much of an impact it had, but leading in, everyone seems to just forget that like it’s not really much of a thing…

It’s like…sure, Florida Field, no big deal…oookay…

icegif-4587.gif
The Miami hype is something to behold. Cristibol has exactly 1 more win, in the ACC than BN in his teniure at UM. But all of a sudden, he's a world beater. lol dude literraly lost a game last year because he didn't know how to take a knee to end the game...the 2nd such screw up of his career.

That doesn't mean they don't win - it's a coin flip game imo. They very well could come here and win, but beating a UF team with 3 straight losing seasons...then pushing that narrative like you are world champs is something else lol.

Last edited:

icegif-4587.gif

They are talking them up a lot. One guy was even downplaying the Swamp factor some and said we were 8-6 in our last 14 home games against power 5 teams. I guess it's true if you start with the LSU upset in 2020 but using seasons 8-5 in the past 3 doesn't sound as bad considering our record the past 3 years.

Reactions: sadgator

icegif-4587.gif
Miami is loaded with talent, but you are right in that they aren't world beaters. To me this is more about current state of our program. 6-7, 6-7, 5-7 last 3 years won't exactly inspire others to jump on board the Florida is back bandwagon. On paper we look deeper vs the past 3 seasons. Not to defend Nappy head, but he inherited a program that did not have top 25 talent. Year 3 and he owns it. To me Miami is the swing game between a winning record and a losing record. For what it's worth, I think LSU is overrated, FSU is clearly overrated, and Texas AM is overrated. Dawgs, Texas, Ole Miss I think will be the 3 best teams we play.

Reactions: Gator Fever
They are talking them up a lot. One guy was even downplaying the Swamp factor some and said we were 8-6 in our last 14 home games against power 5 teams. I guess it's true if you start with the LSU upset in 2020 but using seasons 8-5 in the past 3 doesn't sound as bad considering our record the past 3 years.
lol love that stat - yes, the swamp isn't as tough when you have 3 losing seasons.

The swamp is at its best when we’re pissed off and when we give a sh!t…

Game 1…Miami…backs against the wall…

Pretty sure It’ll be an angry and “spirited” atmosphere…

Being on the east sideline…@ 3:30 p.m. standing in the sun, feet away from a bunch of inebriated 20 something’s and rednecks looking to exorcise the past three years of serious frustration during the the first quarter of that game…is going to feel like being in hell…

I see Waites got the start at RT over Dickson. I wonder what he has looked like in practice. He started against FSU but I don't remember if he got abused a lot that game or not. I remember George or whoever it was at LT being abused all night and FSU had players coming right through the middle of the lines all night. I guess we will see pretty soon if he can handle those Miami DEs.

I see Waites got the start at RT over Dickson. I wonder what he has looked like in practice. He started against FSU but I don't remember if he got abused a lot that game or not. I remember George or whoever it was at LT being abused all night and FSU had players coming right through the middle of the lines all night. I guess we will see pretty soon if he can handle those Miami DEs.
FSU D line was the best in the nation last year. 4 of those guys are on NFL rosters now.

FSU D line was the best in the nation last year. 4 of those guys are on NFL rosters now.

Yep just curious how he looked. He played the Missouri game also. I found something that said 1 sack was attributed to him in both those games. That actually isn't bad with what was going on in the FSU game. His size might help against the 2 big DEs Miami has when they do their speed to bull rush switch they like to do. 6'8 355 lb.

The more sadgator thinks about it, the more he isn’t so sure about all the Cam Ward hype…

sadgator’s sure he’s good and all, but playing in the Swamp ain’t no picnic…
I feel strongly the crowd will be the difference in the game. I look for our Gators to pull it out and I believe Miami will make a few crucial errors. A fumble an interception a penalty, something to shake them up.

This will be my grandson's first game as a spectator in the Swamp and he has assured me it will be wild and crazy. So no picnic for the Canes.

It’s just funny how so many of the National media pundits are so hyping up Miami’s “playoff” chances and how “improved” they are,

icegif-4587.gif

They sound just like they did a week ago when pumping up the #10 FSUcks criminoles over no ranking GaTech.

Media-moron pumping is not relevant to the 'on the field' outcomes, and it never has been....

#10 FSUcks 21 - 24 GaTech

So Watson is a slimmed down 449 lb? I hope that weight is from a while back as Napier said he has slimmed down some.

Its funny looking at what some Miami fans are saying. Hardly any of them thinking they could lose this game. They think they will run or pass at will on us. That we have a bunch of slow guys on defense.

• Haha
I'm terrible at picking Gator games, reghardless of the sport so am not even going to try. Will be pulling hard for a Florida win and would love to see them maul the Canes. But I won't really be surprised whatever happens.

The loudest singular moment sadgator ever personally experienced in the swamp was in 2002 playing Miami when we blocked the punt in the 2nd quarter.* If sadgator remembers correctly, it was followed by a delay of game penalty…yeah Zook.

*Note sadgator unfortunately did not attend UF v. FSU in 1997.

Reactions: bradleygator
I'm terrible at picking Gator games, reghardless of the sport so am not even going to try. Will be pulling hard for a Florida win and would love to see them maul the Canes. But I won't really be surprised whatever happens.

This game has me nervous that is for sure though I have gotten a little numb to losses the past 3 seasons.

FL wins 30 - 27 in OT. The Swamp gives us just enough to win the game. If we don't get an advantage in turnovers and penalties I think things could go bad. Our only big advantage on paper is WRs vs secondary but does Napier attack that down the field with a quick passing game to negate the pass rush some. Maybe we will be surprised and Napier has his 2023 TN game and gets their defense off balance.

Its funny looking at what some Miami fans are saying. Hardly any of them thinking they could lose this game. They think they will run or pass at will on us. That we have a bunch of slow guys on defense.
On NT Desmond Watson's progress:

"Yeah, he's had a good offseason. He's lost a significant amount of weight (6-5 449 Sr). His body composition has changed in a drastic way (fat to muscle). He's moving around better. He's in condition, football condition. I joked with Des that I don't know that he's ever going to be a conditioning test all-star. But I think this is what he does, right? He plays football. Just the other day, in the team meeting, I was showing a pursuit clip of the defense at the beginning of the practice and to see that guy from the far hash sprint to the other sideline and keep up with the other athletes on the fields was pretty impressive. So Des has got a good look at his eye. It's a big year for him, and I know he's looking forward to it."

On LG Knijeah Harris:

"I say he's a very instinctive," Napier said. "He just does things naturally. He's very smart. Got good fundamental base when he got here. I think he's been coached in the past. He was a mid-year (enrollee) and he just took advantage of the youth that we had on the O-line and was able to get reps with the 2s and then play some last year. So he knows what it's like out there. He's prepared for several games. He's taken a ton of reps. Knijeah is very focused, very mature. It's never too big for him (6-3 321 So). He's an impressive young man. Comes from a great family. He's one of the originals in that group that we signed that first year, and he's done a good job."

Those 2 linemen have been the 6-5 449 DL steel on 6-3 321 OL steel through the off season, with both sharing the benefit of the tough competition.

"Big Des is definitely a handful, for sure," sophomore LG Knijeah Harris said. "Definitely tough when you got to block somebody that big. Definitely tough. Just seeing how he has a little bit more motor, can go a little bit longer. Still the same big guy," Harris continued. "He's really athletic for his size as well."

The loudest singular moment sadgator ever personally experienced in the swamp was in 2002 playing Miami...

*Note sadgator unfortunately did not attend UF v. FSU in 1997.

I was there in 1997 for FSU sad, in the lower NE corner of the stadium.
It took my body and ears 2-3 days before returning to anything close to normal.
When I left the stadium that day, it felt like I'd been thoroughly beaten from head to toe with a stick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT