ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Sports Thread

Whose Vandy’s baseball coach? Vandy is literally not good at any other sport that I can recall except for baseball. I’m surprised a bigger named type program hasn’t gone after him. Vandy doesn’t have deep pockets for athletics so I can’t imagine they can really keep him.
Tim Corbin. He and Sully are best buds. I believe they were the best men at each others weddings. Coached together at Clemson. LSU tried to pry him away a few years ago but he wants to stay at Vandy.

Baseball could be in for a long weekend. Hopefully we can pick off at least 1 and not get swept. Vandy looks to be headed for another natty if those two pitchers stay healthy.
Vandy has the 2 best pitchers in the nation, but don't sleep on Arkansas. The Gators have the talent, but so far they just haven't put it all together. The SEC is absolutely loaded.

Reactions: gatordad3
Vandy has the 2 best pitchers in the nation, but don't sleep on Arkansas. The Gators have the talent, but so far they just haven't put it all together. The SEC is absolutely loaded.
Gators just a couple of outs away from dropping game 2. Will need to get the W tomorrow for sure. Got a red hot Ole Miss team next weekend.

Wow, SC's first series win against us since 2011. I think at this point in the season our pitching is what it is, we are going to have to score 7-8 runs most games. Not sure we can do that, we strike out way too much. Amazing though that even in a down year for Sully, we are still a top 25 team.

Yep - Gators drop their 2nd straight to South Carolina 4-1. Starting "ace" Jack Leftwich only lasted 4.2 innings, hitting 6 batters, walking 2 more. He only gave up 3 hits, including a 3-run HR in the 5th inning. But his pitch count was so high he had to come out. UF batters only got 5 hits, striking out 12 times, dropping their overall record to 16-7, 3-2 in the SEC. This team, right now, simply doesn't look like a top tier group. They are still trying to find consistency from the bullpen and they are simply striking out way too much.

Meanwhile, Gator softball beating LSU for the 2nd consecutive day, this time 7-4. Kendyl Lindaman and Jamie Hoover had 2 run HR's in the 1st inning, they added single runs in the 2nd, 3rd and 6th, while Hannah Adams went 4-4 and the defense played great. LSU had a big 4th inning, scoring all their runs on 5 hits, as starter Katie Chronister got roughed up and Natalie Lugo gave up an RBI hit before settling down and shutting them down the rest of the way. Gators are now 23-3, 7-1 in the SEC.

#24 UF Women's Tennis completed a 2 day sweep at #36 Mississippi State today with a 4-1 win, improving their record to 9-6, 7-3 in the SEC. They are not back to the national title contender we used to see, but are much improved over the last couple of years as the program continues to rebuild. Women's tennis has won 10 national titles, the last one in 2017. They've also been national runners-up 10 times, have won the SEC regular season title 29 times in the last 38 years. Roland Thornqvist has been the coach since 2002 and his teams have won almost 81% of their matches.

Last edited:
Whose Vandy’s baseball coach? Vandy is literally not good at any other sport that I can recall except for baseball. I’m surprised a bigger named type program hasn’t gone after him. Vandy doesn’t have deep pockets for athletics so I can’t imagine they can really keep him.
For whatever reason or the other, Vandy doesn't usually sink big $ into athletics...but they have plenty of alumni with deep pockets.

One of those "Why go anywhere when you are happy" situations. He has already won big there but the pressure is not on him to always have to win big.

For whatever reason or the other, Vandy doesn't usually sink big $ into athletics...but they have plenty of alumni with deep pockets.

One of those "Why go anywhere when you are happy" situations. He has already won big there but the pressure is not on him to always have to win big.
Tim Corbin is one of the highest paid baseball coaches in the NCAA. He & O'Sullivan are best friends and he's done a tremendous job building that program into a national powerhouse.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Florida softball completed an impressive 3-game sweep of #11 LSU, beating them 9-3 Sunday. The Gators improved their record to 24-3, 8-1 in the SEC. For the weekend the Gators scored 21 runs on 31 hits, the pitching was solid and the defense was great. For the first time this season the offense saw contributions throughout the lineup. In today's game, catcher Julia Cottrill continued her hot hitting byt going 2-4 with a 1st inning, 2-out RBI single. Baylee Goddard, getting her first start in several weeks, got a 2-out 2 RBI single in the 1st, while Hannah Adams got 2 hits (7 for the weekend) and freshman Emily Wilkie got 2 hits. #( hitter, CF Cheyenne Lindsay had 5 RBI's, with a base clearing double in the 3rd and a 2-run HR in the 5th. The Gators travel to Jacksonville for a Wednesday evening game and then head to Athens, GA for a 3-game series at Georgia. The Saturday game is a 8 pm on ESPN, while the SEC Network is carrying the Sunday game at 3 pm and the Monday game at 7 pm.

#11 UF Lacrosse improved to 7-2, 4-0 in the AAC with another beatdown of Cincinnati in Gainesville, this time 19-5. Their next 2 games are at another AAC opponent, East Carolina, Thursday at 4 pm and Saturday at 11 am.

Gator baseball lost their 3rd straight game to South Carolina, losing today 8-5 to drop their record to 16-8, 3-3 in the SEC. And remember, this was the unanimous pre-season #1 who has yet to play a legit Top 10 team. Yes, when we lost to Miami they ranked the U in the Top 5 for a week. But Miami is currently 11-8, 6-7 in the ACC. We've lost to a Jacksonville team that is 5-14 and got blasted by an FSU team that is 12-7, 8-6 in the ACC and losing today 10-5 to Wake Forest. Plus we lost to Florida Atlantic, currently 14-9. We still have 3-games series left with #1 Vanderbilt, #2 Arkansas, #4 Ole Miss (this coming weekend), 20-4 Tennessee, 17-4 Kentucky and a good Georgia team. Only Auburn & Missouri have teams that right now are playing poorly. Before this weekend's sweep, UF was last in the SEC in fielding, #9 in team ERA, #12 in hits allowed, #12 in runs allowed, #8 in HR's allowed and #10 in earned runs allowed. On offense, we were 4th in batting average, 6th in slugging percentage, 9th in on base percentage, 2nd in hits, 5th in runs scored and 8th in home runs. This weekend will drop us lower in virtually every category. Jud Fabian leads the SEC, if not the nation, in strikeouts with 40, as he looks completely lost at the plate. The team has struck out 206 times in 24 games and the team batting average is down to .285, with only Hickey, Young, McMullen and Halter hitting over .300. We have committed 29 errors for a fielding percentage of .968. Team ERA is up to 3.84 with only 5 saves. We've allowed 18 unearned runs in 24 games, walked 67 batters and hit 23 more. Pitchers who came into this year highly touted just have not come through, as numerous leads have been blown and weekend starters have had trouble getting past the 5th inning. The talent is, obviously, there and O'Sullivan is a great coach. But something seems missing with this year's group and the hardest part of our schedule is shortly upcoming.

UF Baseball has dropped from #5 to #15 in today's D1 rankings. We host 13-10 Mercer Tuesday night before hosting #3, 20-4 Ole Miss for the weekend. Tennessee, 21-4, is up to #9 and we go to Knoxville next weekend. Time for the boys in blue to step up their game if they want to be a factor in the SEC this year.

UF Baseball has dropped from #5 to #15 in today's D1 rankings. We host 13-10 Mercer Tuesday night before hosting #3, 20-4 Ole Miss for the weekend. Tennessee, 21-4, is up to #9 and we go to Knoxville next weekend. Time for the boys in blue to step up their game if they want to be a factor in the SEC this year.
Ole Miss is really good. Vols haven't played anyone yet.

Too much preseason hype is not a good thing. I’m hoping these last couple of weeks has administered a dose of reality and we turn it around.

Ole Miss is really good. Vols haven't played anyone yet.
UT took 2 out of 3 from Georgia in Athens when GA was ranked #7. And they just swept #14 LSU. LSU can never be called not anyone in baseball. They always have good players. I agree that UT's non-conference schedule hasn't been very good, but they sure seem better than the Gators at this point. That's why I said the next 2 weeks will tell whether Florida baseball, consensus pre-season #1, is going to be a factor this year. I have watched all but 2-3 of the Gator games this year and their defense has been the worst of the O'Sullivan era, as has the bullpen. Hitting started off great, but has tailed off the last 3 weeks. Time will tell, but our guys better get it in gear.

UT took 2 out of 3 from Georgia in Athens when GA was ranked #7. And they just swept #14 LSU. LSU can never be called not anyone in baseball. They always have good players. I agree that UT's non-conference schedule hasn't been very good, but they sure seem better than the Gators at this point. That's why I said the next 2 weeks will tell whether Florida baseball, consensus pre-season #1, is going to be a factor this year. I have watched all but 2-3 of the Gator games this year and their defense has been the worst of the O'Sullivan era, as has the bullpen. Hitting started off great, but has tailed off the last 3 weeks. Time will tell, but our guys better get it in gear.
Are Georgia or LSU still ranked? Feels like SC is better than both those two teams.

Are Georgia or LSU still ranked? Feels like SC is better than both those two teams.
As of today, LSU dropped out of the Top 25 and Georgia dropped out last week. Georgia fell fast. Gators dropped to #15. 6 SEC teams are now ranked ahead of us.

As of today, LSU dropped out of the Top 25 and Georgia dropped out last week. Georgia fell fast. Gators dropped to #15. 6 SEC teams are now ranked ahead of us.
Conference is so strong that a 14-16 record will most likely get you into the tourney.

Conference is so strong that a 14-16 record will most likely get you into the tourney.
Agree, but with all the hype about this year's team, just getting into the tournament will seem like a down season, won't it? Missouri & Auburn are the only subpar SEC teams this year and I know teams will be beating up on each other through the 30-game schedule. That's why winning the non-conference games is so important. We're 13-5 outside the SEC with 7 more games left. The goal is getting a Top 8 seed so you not only host a Regional, but a Super Regional. Hard to make it to the CWS playing on the road. Still a long way to go, but they have to play much better than they have so far to achieve their goals.

Agree, but with all the hype about this year's team, just getting into the tournament will seem like a down season, won't it? Missouri & Auburn are the only subpar SEC teams this year and I know teams will be beating up on each other through the 30-game schedule. That's why winning the non-conference games is so important. We're 13-5 outside the SEC with 7 more games left. The goal is getting a Top 8 seed so you not only host a Regional, but a Super Regional. Hard to make it to the CWS playing on the road. Still a long way to go, but they have to play much better than they have so far to achieve their goals.
I think at this point we are what we are. Subpar defense and very shaky pitching. Sully is a great coach and will get the most out of them. I was surprised at the number of young guys playing. I saw 3 freshmen in the lineup Friday against SC. Great news is we have another top 2 recruiting class coming in August.

I think at this point we are what we are. Subpar defense and very shaky pitching. Sully is a great coach and will get the most out of them. I was surprised at the number of young guys playing. I saw 3 freshmen in the lineup Friday against SC. Great news is we have another top 2 recruiting class coming in August.
Yep. Will be interesting to see who leaves after this season. I know Mace & Leftwich will be gone. Kirby McMullen and Trey Van Der Weide are 5th year seniors. Fabian and Hickey are draft eligible, but Fabian has hurt his stock as a pre-season first round pick, although MLB drafts more on potential than actual performance in a given year. The roster is mainly filled with freshmen and sophomores. O'Sullivan and Mary Wise are the best coaches at UF, IMO.

The baseball team is severely underachieving right now. Poor pitching and fielding and it isn’t getting any better.

Reactions: ocalaman
Right now, Florida's baseball recruiting class is ranked #1 in D1, with 21 commitments, 7 of the Top 100 players. Here are links to the commitments and rankings.

Of course, the key is getting any many of these kids on campus as possible. I'm sure some will wait to see if and where they get drafted and what kind of MLB offers they get before making a final decision. But O'Sullivan, just like Tim Corbin, knows how to consistently bring in quality players that fit their programs.

Due to impending storms, the UF - Mercer baseball game scheduled for Tuesday night has been cancelled. Their next game is Thursday at 8 pm hosting Ole Miss, on the SEC Network. Oh boy!

GatorSports.com reported this morning that Kevin O'Sullivan is shaking up his starting pitching rotation for the Ole Miss series that starts tonight. Doesn't seem like an April Fool's joke, but who knows? Franco Aleman replaces Tommy Mace tonight and Christian Scott starts tomorrow instead of Jack Leftwich. Hunter Barco is slated to start Game #3. I wonder if there will be any changes to the other starting 8?

GatorSports.com reported this morning that Kevin O'Sullivan is shaking up his starting pitching rotation for the Ole Miss series that starts tonight. Doesn't seem like an April Fool's joke, but who knows? Franco Aleman replaces Tommy Mace tonight and Christian Scott starts tomorrow instead of Jack Leftwich. Hunter Barco is slated to start Game #3. I wonder if there will be any changes to the other starting 8?
Wow, very interesting. Again, Sully will figure out a way to get the most out of them.

#10 UF Women's Lacrosse improved to 8-2, 5-0 in the AAC with a 20-9 win over East Carolina this afternoon. The teams play again Saturday at 11 am.

Big win for baseball team tonight. 4-1 over #3 Ole Piss. Mace out of the bullpen was lights out. Only gave up 1 hit and 7 ks in 5 innings worked. Great move by Sully tonight not starting him.

Big win for baseball team tonight. 4-1 over #3 Ole Piss. Mace out of the bullpen was lights out. Only gave up 1 hit and 7 ks in 5 innings worked. Great move by Sully tonight not starting him.
I was impressed with Aleman in his 4 innings as well. The only run he gave up was unearned. Their pitcher was really good and 3 base running mistakes could have hurt us. And I wonder when Sully is going to bump Jud Fabian down in the batting order? He has 42 strikeouts in 100 at bats this year and just looks totally lost at the plate. But a great win for the team. Hope Scott & Leftwich have a similar outcome tomorrow night.

I was impressed with Aleman in his 4 innings as well. The only run he gave up was unearned. Their pitcher was really good and 3 base running mistakes could have hurt us. And I wonder when Sully is going to bump Jud Fabian down in the batting order? He has 42 strikeouts in 100 at bats this year and just looks totally lost at the plate. But a great win for the team. Hope Scott & Leftwich have a similar outcome tomorrow night.
Great win! Yet the base running was baffling.

Fabian I believe hasn't had a hit in his last 15 plate appearances. I agree, probably need to move him down to 8 or 9. Take some of the pressure off.

#1 UF Men's Tennis ran their record to 16-1, 10-0 in the SEC, but they had their toughest match since losing a heartbreaker to Texas on January 23rd. In Nashville, Vanderbilt came into the match 6-11, 0-8 in the SEC. But they won the doubles point and won singles matches at #3 & #5. The Gators easily won their singles matches at #2, #4 & #6. It came down to the #1 singles match, which UF's Duarte Vale won 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 to give the Gators the victory 4-3.

#1 UF Men's Tennis ran their record to 16-1, 10-0 in the SEC, but they had their toughest match since losing a heartbreaker to Texas on January 23rd. In Nashville, Vanderbilt came into the match 6-11, 0-8 in the SEC. But they won the doubles point and won singles matches at #3 & #5. The Gators easily won their singles matches at #2, #4 & #6. It came down to the #1 singles match, which UF's Duarte Vale won 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 to give the Gators the victory 4-3.
The curse of being #1

UF baseball lost to Ole Miss tonight 8-2, dropping their record to 17-9, 4-4 in the SEC. Christian Scott pitched the first 5 innings and did well, giving up only 2 runs. The Gators got a run in the 2nd and Jud Fabian hit a HR in the bottom of the 7th to tie the game at 2. But Jack Leftwich, who had come into the game in the 6th, gave up a 2-run HR in the 8th and 4 more in the 9th to suffer the loss. The Gators only had 3 hits on the night and struck out 18 times.

UF baseball lost to Ole Miss tonight 8-2, dropping their record to 17-9, 4-4 in the SEC. Christian Scott pitched the first 5 innings and did well, giving up only 2 runs. The Gators got a run in the 2nd and Jud Fabian hit a HR in the bottom of the 7th to tie the game at 2. But Jack Leftwich, who had come into the game in the 6th, gave up a 2-run HR in the 8th and 4 more in the 9th to suffer the loss. The Gators only had 3 hits on the night and struck out 18 times.
18 ks??? Good lord. Leftwich struggles continue. Good to see Fabian break out. Need to get the rubber match tomorrow.

18 ks??? Good lord. Leftwich struggles continue. Good to see Fabian break out. Need to get the rubber match tomorrow.
Fabian had 3 strikeouts and a HR, plus an error in CF. Not really a breakout. He's batting under .240 and leading the nation in strikeouts.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT