ADVERTISEMENT

SEC East going forward this season...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
1. Georgia - I give them the edge based on defense and their running game. Their O line seems a little better than the poor one last season. Tough SEC slate with Auburn and Miss State.
2. Florida - Still a big unknown going forward but most of the East doesn't appear to be that good right now. Are the defensive numbers just the result of the offense keeping them on the field?
3. Vanderbilt - This team has been surprising so far. Held a pretty good offense in check and has a better passing game this season so far than they usually do. Capable of upsetting Georgia or Florida I think. Play Bama this season.
4. Tennessee - Probably capable of winning any remaining SEC East game but also capable of losing any of them also. Just don't seem to be clicking good.
5. Kentucky - Playing competent defense so far especially against the run but still seem pretty limited on offense - down from last year's offense.
6. South Carolina - they have a decent QB and a decent defense but the loss of that WR will be felt quite a bit. The QB can't do it alone and their rushing attack is pretty poor so far. Will struggle to become bowl eligible and may come up short.
7. Missouri - In disarray right now with a terrible defense and their passing game only seems to click good against poor defenses. Probably a 3 win team. I doubt they even win an SEC game.

How I see the SEC East right now. Curious what others think.

Last edited:
Most likely Georgia...

But maybe Florida if they can build on the win...

Tennessee is out with the loss to Florida and games against Bama and LSU coming.

Kentucky could beat us, but will lose to multiple other teams.

Vandy will never beat both Florida and Georgia.

South Carolina...Muschamp.

Missouri...should be replaced with a better team like West Virginia or GT.

Reactions: TNGatorBrad
I still don't see anything people pretend to see about UGA.. But if we ever somehow got our players back, I'd like our TEAM more, minus the staff..

Beating this dead horse, but, depth improves with returning players, offense improves with returning players, Franks simply has to be buoyed by that single throw...

I like Florida. Even yesterday's game should not have been so dramatic...were one not having two hands on the ball fumble at the one from a 20-3 lead and no late drama in a convincing win. Yes I know both teams made multiple silly plays.

Will likely come down to the Joja game again...and I like our chances to get four in a row based on the above.

1. Georgia - I give them the edge based on defense and their running game. Their O line seems a little better than the poor one last season. Tough SEC slate with Auburn and Miss State.
2. Florida - Still a big unknown going forward but most of the East doesn't appear to be that good right now. Are the defensive numbers just the result of the offense keeping them on the field?
3. Vanderbilt - This team has been surprising so far. Held a pretty good offense in check and has a better passing game this season so far than they usually do. Capable of upsetting Georgia or Florida I think. Play Bama this season.
4. Tennessee - Probably capable of winning any remaining SEC East game but also capable of losing any of them also. Just don't seem to be clicking good.
5. Kentucky - Playing competent defense so far especially against the run but still seem pretty limited on offense - down from last year's offense.
6. South Carolina - they have a decent QB and a decent defense but the loss of that WR will be felt quite a bit. The QB can't do it alone and their rushing attack is pretty poor so far. Will struggle to become bowl eligible and may come up short.
7. Missouri - In disarray right now with a terrible defense and their passing game only seems to click good against poor defenses. Probably a 3 win team. I doubt they even win an SEC game.

How I see the SEC East right now. Curious what others think.

As it stands today, a pretty good assessment. By winning yesterday, Your H/C assured himself of at least one more year at the helm. The OL, which has been going down since he took over will be a lot worse next year as Ivey leaves for the NFL early. Florida Juniors have long felt the itch to become millionaires a year early so why should he take the risk of an injury that could cost him his chance?

Jefferson and maybe even Pinero would be the only other ones at this moment I think might decide to leave early. I haven't watched enough of Florida to have any opinion on Zuniga's ( RS/Soph) chances. But I would put him as "Possible" along with Pinero. Jefferson and Ivey are in their last season IMHO.( Just like Kelly at UT)

Like I had stated a couple of times in different threads here, I wasn't going to watch the damned game as I knew that incompetent loser would find some way of giving the game away and he did. I had planned to find me an old Randolph Scott western to watch instead. At least in those, the good guy wins in the end.

So, I watched a Randolph Scott Western

The players involved in the fraud will probably be charged with a felony. I doubt any of them ever suit up for us again

Not sure why you keep saying this. Buyout next year will be huge too. We lose next Saturday with more shit offense and the money will be there for Stricklin.
I think the buyout declines significantly after the end of next season

The UF team is very young. There won't be that many players gone off this year's team for next year. Scarlett and Calloway would be the 2 biggest and they aren't even on the team now anyways.

McElwain will be here next year whether you like it or not. Heck Muschump went 4-8 and still got another year.

Reactions: sadgator

Guy is hot trash, its a shame we have to continue to let him set us back. Good thing is sans winning the sEC I don't see an extension this year, sounds like the boosters are more than frustrated with our offense. MJ, you have any idea the type of relationship Stricklin had with Mullen?

The UF team is very young. There won't be that many players gone off this year's team for next year. Scarlett and Calloway would be the 2 biggest and they aren't even on the team now anyways.

McElwain will be here next year whether you like it or not. Heck Muschump went 4-8 and still got another year.

I am not arguing, I fgure he is out after about 5 games next year. The problem is the longer he is here the worse we get.

As for the 4-8 thing, TERRIBLE argument. Foleyhired Champ and his ego stopped him from firing him. Stricklin has no loyalty to Mac and has an opportunity to do what Foley couldn't and right the football program. And a guy from his old school is soon to be the hottest name out there.

Who cares? It was the worst Power 5 division statistically last year and it might be worse this year. Win it or don't win it makes no difference, it isn't a measuring stick for anything.

No one truly knows how the season will play out, but I like Florida's chances to win the East, just because it's so bad. Georgia plays Miss. St. & Auburn from the West; we play LSU & Texas A&M. Losing Eason hurts them, no matter how good Fromm has looked early. Our defense is gritty and won the game for us yesterday. However, we aren't near as deep with quality players on D as last year and you could see our guys were out of gas in the 4th quarter. Because our pathetic offense kept the D on the field so much. So unless the offense can pick it up significantly, we could lose some games in the 4th quarter. Toney & Davis have to get more & more involved in the offense, but with the horrible playcalling and weak O-line, how good can this offense really get? The KY game this Saturday is critical, IMO. They are 3-0, trying to get over the hump and compete for a title, so will be fired up. Can we win an SEC road game against a good opponent? I'll be rooting them on.

Who cares? It was the worst Power 5 division statistically last year and it might be worse this year. Win it or don't win it makes no difference.
Agreed. We're just playing for the right to get humiliated by Alabama.

I am not arguing, I fgure he is out after about 5 games next year. The problem is the longer he is here the worse we get.

As for the 4-8 thing, TERRIBLE argument. Foleyhired Champ and his ego stopped him from firing him. Stricklin has no loyalty to Mac and has an opportunity to do what Foley couldn't and right the football program. And a guy from his old school is soon to be the hottest name out there.
Doesn't matter than Foley isn't here and Stricklin is the AD. I'm telling you whether you like it or not McElwain will be here next year.

Yes Stricklin will likely get his chance at some point but it isn't happening after this year.

Who cares? It was the worst Power 5 division statistically last year and it might be worse this year. Win it or don't win it makes no difference, it isn't a measuring stick for anything.
Sure it means something. It means more that you say. But it means less than Mac and others say.

It is an important accomplishment, it is just not THE most important accomplishment. It is probably less that a top three accomplishment.

Right now it IS the tallest midget kind of accomplishment.

Reactions: sadgator
Sure it means something. It means more that you say. But it means less than Mac and others say.

It is an important accomplishment, it is just not THE most important accomplishment. It is probably less that a top three accomplishment.

If I lived i ATL I would pribably hype it more as you do. But winning it this year means NOTHING if we get blown out again.

Doesn't matter than Foley isn't here and Stricklin is the AD. I'm telling you whether you like it or not McElwain will be here next year.

Yes Stricklin will likely get his chance at some point but it isn't happening after this year.

Just told you, gone by October of next year. Once Stricklin gets the green light on the buyout Mac is gone. I have not seen one person who supports him anymore. Even his biggest apologists have jumped ship. He is running us into the ground and every week he is here.

So it is the great race to see who gets beat by 60 in Atlanta. Bama's third string could beat the east all star team by 10.

When sadgator reads posts by people who think any set of win/loss circumstances would result in Mac's firing this year, it makes him laugh.

When Michi reads people who look at he scoreboard and assume things are "neat", he too remembers what it was like being a fan in middle school

So it is the great race to see who gets beat by 60 in Atlanta. Bama's third string could beat the east all star team by 10.

Bama ain't racing nobody like that this year

When Michi reads people who look at he scoreboard and assume things are "neat", he too remembers what it was like being a fan in middle school

I'd give anything to have my middle school fan years back, knowing nothing about what you are watching just seeing what happens... And getting to watch Spurrier in the 90's again, mainly.

Reactions: TNGatorBrad

As is the case with most things, it's all relative. I'm not trying to say division titles aren't important at all, they definitely are. I value division titles for sure especially when you have to go through 2-3 other top teams to get there. Like how the SEC West was for all those years. But with the East in it's current state we can win it again while not beating anyone even above average, it's just hard to put any value in it when that's the case. I'm not sure any team in the division will have less than 4 losses.

At this point I've put winning the division far behind other things like developing our young players, improving the offense, keeping recruiting going, etc. Thats more indicative of where the program is going than being the tallest midget. The SEC East is now what the ACC divisions were a few years ago.

At this point I've put winning the division far behind other things like developing our young players, improving the offense, keeping recruiting going, etc.

I agree with that. Not to be too much a pedant, but the #1 accomplishment is a NC. Tied for second is winning the SEC and getting to the playoffs. What you write above is probably #3 or #4, depending on how you count. The SEC East is probably #4 or #5 on the list right now. But it can move up or down depending on the quality of the other East teams.

Last edited:
I agree with that. Not to be too much a pendant, but the #1 accomplishment is a NC. Tied for second is winning the SEC and getting to the playoffs. What you write above is probably #3 or #4, depending on how you count. The SEC East is probably #4 or #5 on the list right now. But it can move up or down depending on the quality of the other East teams.

Agreed.

The players involved in the fraud will probably be charged with a felony. I doubt any of them ever suit up for us again

I highly doubt that the ones with no prior record would. Callaway is the only one I think that may end up getting booted - him and the one that paid his rent illegally. I would think the others would only get charged for misdemeanors if they even get officially charged.

I highly doubt that the ones with no prior record would. Callaway is the only one I think that may end up getting booted - him and the one that paid his rent illegally. I would think the others would only get charged for misdemeanors if they even get officially charged.
I am not sure the DA will have enough leeway to charge the guys with something less than a felony.

I hope I am wrong. I wish Ghost was here to straighten us out

You will read a lot of it if we somehow found a way to finally lose to KY.
Oh, it will be tough to take if UK beats us for sure...and sadgator will probably be one of the posters leading the bitch parade...but it ain't gonna get Mac fired...and neither will a loss or series of losses to any other team(s) this season...anybody who thinks so is living in fantasy land.

Oh, it will be tough to take if UK beats us for sure...and sadgator will probably be one of the posters leading the bitch parade...but it ain't gonna get Mac fired...and neither will a loss or series of losses to any other team(s) this season...anybody who thinks so is living in fantasy land.

Since we are dealing in hypotheticals - what if Mac lost to KY and Vandy and went 4-7?

Florida extended McElwain’s contract one year through January 2023 and raised his annual salary by $196,300 to $4,486,000, taking effect 2017-18. The full six-year value of the contract is now $26,917,800.

McElwain’s maximum bonus potential will also increase from $450,000 to $825,000, which is not reflected in the aforementioned salary figures. There is also an increase in the amount owed McElwain should be be terminated without cause, increasing from $2,250,000 to $2,500,000 per year remaining on the contract subject to mitigation from other SEC employers.

Florida extended McElwain’s contract one year through January 2023 and raised his annual salary by $196,300 to $4,486,000, taking effect 2017-18. The full six-year value of the contract is now $26,917,800.

McElwain’s maximum bonus potential will also increase from $450,000 to $825,000, which is not reflected in the aforementioned salary figures. There is also an increase in the amount owed McElwain should be be terminated without cause, increasing from $2,250,000 to $2,500,000 per year remaining on the contract subject to mitigation from other SEC employers.

lol at Foley.

All of the crying over the supposedly WEAK SECe is a bit over-played imo.

2016 SECe - 6 of 7 teams in bowl games, going 3-3 in the Bowls.

UF 9-4, 6-2 SEC, SECe-C, lost to 14-1 NC runner-up UA in SEC-C,
Jan Outback Bowl UF 30-3 Iowa
While that's not winning the SEC-C or the NC, it's also not a chopped liver season either... o_O

Tennis-sea 9-4, Bowl - beat 9-4 Neb 38-24.

Jawja 8-5, Bowl - beat 6-7 TCU 31 - 23.

UK 7-6, Bowl - lost to 9-4 GaTech 18-33
SCa 6-7, Bowl - lost to 11-2 USF 39 - 46.

VU 6-7, Bowl - lost to 7-6 NCSt 17-41.

Misery 4-8

Two of those SECe bowl losses were pretty bad mis-matches.
And a 6-6 SCa only lost to an 11-2 USF by a TD.
VU took it on the chin to NCSt, but NCSt also beat ND and 8-5 NC, while only losing to FSU 20-24.

So while the SECe division was not super, it also wasn't terrible. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT