ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

I think Frost is a good up & coming HC with only minimal experience.

I think it would be a gamble to take him. He could be someone that is great, but also someone that tanks. I think it is too early to call his fate in his short career.

Can he handle the grind of uf? The SEC? The boosters? Spurrier?

How long would it take to get his guys in the system to run the spread?

a smart x and o's coach at an elite talent school makes almost an impossible scenario to "fail".. when you are out coaching teams with inferior talent like the spurriers and Meyers did before coming to big schools, they not only do the opposite of failing at the big schools, they dominate teams into submission.. Same with Petersen at Washington now, hell even Leach at lowly joke Wazzou before he got there..

Smart football coaches with detailed and great systems can't fail, because they have all the built in advantages imaginable once they finally get the talent in hand.. Even morons like Addazi won 13 games with the talent at Florida in 09.. and Mullen, arguably the smartest chalkboard matchup guy in the SEC now offensively, made that same Florida roster the year before with almost all the players returning the next year with addazi, basically doubled up the stats and scores than the moron did with them all developed and a year older and better with NFL players all across the board at every position.. People might not see an SEC team beating ranked teams weekly by 50 and 60 like Mulle and Meyer were doing in that 08 regular season.. Then giving saban one of his only double digit losses at Bama period, without even our best player and one of the best generational talents period in Harvin.. Hell they still hung 50 plus on people ranked like Mullen did without Harvin due to pretend "migraines" in 07 on the road against Spurrier, they hung like 52 in that game too without him..

Smart strategic football coaches don't fail, they annihilate.. Frost would do the same for UF he did for UCF, but faster and with much more talent coming in the class with Corral and co... If Frost gets the job, and as he should, if I was a rival fan I'd be steaming pissed off.. and I can see the sweat coming from teams around the SEC and their fans, which says it all.. The exact opposite of the last 8 years, they are still hoping and PRAYING we hire another dud, but little do they know theres no Foley to cancer up the program any longer and hire someone from the newspaper...

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Ugh, Scott Frost and I are the same age? Thanks for reminding me I've accomplished dick in my life, Insta. :p

If you were a coach you'd be "young and promising, full of potential" but since you're not, you're just a cranky old man.

hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif
X-2

Scott Frost was making around 1.7 Mil/Yr and is now scheduled to make around 2 Mil/Yr at UCF

In 2016, Mike Riley made $2.8 Mil/Yr at Nebraska.

Mc left UF making about 4.5 Mil/Yr

You do the math.... :cool:

only fsu numbers can do math for us, like how a gram of oregano smoke can overdose pregnant women and little babies for BRUTAL deaths...

1. Florida is not a hot job. They have high expectations and will be beat out in recruiting by FSU/Miami. Big Ten West is easy, but we are incompetent under this regime.

2. The expectations are way too high. Your dude Jim just got fired and won the sec west the last 2 years in a row.

3. Frost has said Nebraska is his dream job.

4. Parents live in Lincoln and are also alum.

5. Nebraska will give him at least 7 years of security.

6. Frost in HS chose to go to school at Stanford versus Nebraska. Nebraskans hated him for that and that has always upsetted him. If he did that again it would be rough.

7. Tom Osborne will show up and offer him. He won't turn it down. It is like Roy Williams turning down Dean

You know this dude is a troll for sure when saying Mac won the West two years in a row.

Dont give a shi about Florida or their division. Last time I paid attention to FL was the 1996 Fiesta.

Just letting you know Frost to Nebraska is done.

So, unlike 'ethical' UF, totally 'unethical' Neb would commence a process to steal an employed HC from another school during their season. Good to know I geuss... :rolleyes:

He's so convinced Frost is going to Nebraska, he has to post it on the UF message board to reassure himself. Someone is nervous.

Reactions: footnfan1
Frost is going to Nebraska imho, heard he informed the university that he isn't interested in the UF job.
Kelly is going to take the UCLA job
Charlie Strong or Norvell, whether you like it or not, will be the next HBC at UF. Try to remember the face of your father when this is announced :)

This alma mater thing is overblown. How many coaches actually try to go coach at their alma mater much less become HC there? It rarely happens. Frost might go to Nebraska but it most definitely won't be the only thing under consideration. Probably isn't even anywhere near the top of his list of reasons if he's as smart as everybody says he is.
Frost has said that Nebraska is his "dream job".

Frost has said that Nebraska is his "dream job".

I googled around and didn’t find anything explicitly saying that. Aaron Taylor gave an interview where he said he talked to Frost and “got the impression” that it was his dream job. So that’s a pretty big difference.

But the point remains that all things being equal he would probably coach Nebraska. But all things aren’t equal. It is ten times easier to recruit to UF, more because of geography than anything else. And Frost is acutely award of that, since he already coaches here. I’m sure it will be a difficult decision. I doubt he’s made his mind up at this point.

Frost is also smart enough to know that we don’t live in a dream world.
Nebraska is a career killer for a coach that has Urban Meyer/Nick Saban ambitions.

I read a story saying the ceiling for Nebraska is probably Wisconsin plus, which sounds about right and which is actually pretty good. Wisconsin is probably a little better located being close to the big Midwest cities as far as recruiting.

The Tom Osborne teams, which I grew up a fan of, recruited heavily in Florida and California. That’s going to be tough to duplicate.

Frost told Nebraska he isn't going to Florida during the middle of the UCF season?

Wow, that's fascinating.

Lay it all out for us.....how specifically did it all go down.

Frost is going to Nebraska imho, heard he informed the university that he isn't interested in the UF job.
Kelly is going to take the UCLA job
Charlie Strong or Norvell, whether you like it or not, will be the next HBC at UF. Try to remember the face of your father when this is announced :)

The Tom Osborne teams, which I grew up a fan of, recruited heavily in Florida and California. That’s going to be tough to duplicate.

Hey buddy...out of curiosity...about when we’re you a Nebraska fan and when did you become a Florida fan?

A friend of mine who is traumatized in his formative years in January of 1996 would like to know....not that that friend is me....nothing phases me.

Also curious because that likely means you have a WAAAAYdifferent view of the fiesta bowl that year if you hadn’t become a gator fan yet.

Most Nebaska fans that I know are not dickheads.

it's not exactly what NEBRASKA is known for.

...now Maryland? Holy shit....

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Hey buddy...out of curiosity...about when we’re you a Nebraska fan and when did you become a Florida fan?

A friend of mine who is traumatized in his formative years in January of 1996 would like to know....not that that friend is me....nothing phases me.

Also curious because that likely means you have a WAAAAYdifferent view of the fiesta bowl that year if you hadn’t become a gator fan yet.

Friend of mine had a clear view of that game, same friend also cried many tears.

Scott Frost Will be going to Nebraska.
Maybe. But how can you be sure that Scott Frost isn't biding his time at UCF for the head-coaching gig at Stanford to open up?[##] It's a much more beautiful place, with a much more mellow atmosphere (except for competitive geek-major students), and much more conveniently located to many more potential "talented" recruits, than is Nebraska.

Now that Frost has announced the birth of his first child this past week, it must have occurred to Mr.&Mrs. Frost how little time Scott would have left for his new family in Nebraska, as he chases around thro' snow & ice-storms on the northern Great Plains, thro' all those "states beginning with I", searching for scarce recruits who can help his Huskers beat Meyer's Buckeyes and Harbaugh's MeatChickens.

Recruiting ain't what it was when Bob Devaney then Tom Osborne coached the Huskers. There's way more--and faster--communication nowadays: A future Outland-Trophy winner can't be hidden away from out-of-state recruiters at, e.g., an Otumwa High. Potential recruits nowadays can be expected to use social media aggressively to share their impressions of recruiting visits to Lincoln in December and January; in decades past, only scattered high-school classmates and family members would have heard about a visiting player freezing his tail while touring the campus. At best, that might be useful in weeding out players who'd be a poor fit anyhow. But I suppose that Husker staff have already revised the old saying that bad publicity is preferable to no publicity.

Certainly in leaving UCF, Frost would want more than being able to look up at home-stadium crowds averaging more than the 36,000 that UCF delivers on game-day (2016[###]). Instead, he ought to insist on seriously competing for the B1G title pronto, with realistic expectations of winning the B1G as often as the 2 aforementioned dominant teams, right? Could Frost recruit successfully enough on the Great Plains to sign players who could beat Saban's Bama in a major-college football B1G-vs.-SEC play-off final?

-------
Note ##: Nebraska probably needs a new head football coach much sooner than David Shaw seems likely to make room for a new head football coach on "The Farm", 2011--2017: (no data), 12--2, 11--3, 8--5, 12--2, 10--3, (incomplete season).

Note ###: Via Phil Steele 2017 annual: 35807 = 82% of capacity 44206 (#73).

This alma mater thing is overblown. How many coaches actually try to go coach at their alma mater much less become HC there? It rarely happens. Frost might go to Nebraska but it most definitely won't be the only thing under consideration. Probably isn't even anywhere near the top of his list of reasons if he's as smart as everybody says he is.
Well Meyer was a Ohio guy even talked about Ohio before tha NC game with UF… I think he just wanted to show Ohio "Look what I’ve done Ohio fans" more than "Look my team" and he Coaches where now? Some people would rather Coach at their home state or alma… Spurrier even said whenever he came to Coach UF he felt he was at home because he played here…He talks about this on the ESPNs "The Believe" documentary they did on him…Whenever he was at Duke and told the AD he was leaving to go to UF to be the HC the AD said it makes sense because that’s where you played…

Btw I always thought it was Foley who brought Spurrier here but just read it was
Bill Arnsparger

Last edited:
Yep, just like Spurrier, who grew up in tennis-sea,
became the Heisman QB and the eventual head coach for the Vols. :rolleyes:
But any genuine Gator who's been active on ITG for years ought to know (right off the top of his head, no references necessary) that Steve Spurrier was born in Miami Beach, because that's where his Protestant-minister father was tending a flock at the time. So Steve is a native Floridan. He spent most of his young life outside Florida, because that's where he was taken by his father Graham while tending various flocks. That gave that decade's U.F. head football coach Ray Graves 2 advantages: Graves was also the son of a Protestant minister, and Graves knew U.T. and its athletics because that's where he had played his final 2 years of college football.

Spurrier, who played 3 sports at Science Hill High (Johnson City, far-N.E. Tenn.), was reportedly seriously recruited as a player by U. Tennessee (albeit more for basketball), but he explained his rejection of U.T. by the "style" of football they played: I recall that he described their offense as a wing formation [**][×].

Spurrier would've formed his conclusions about his fit as a future college player into Tennessee football during the head-coaching tenure of U.T.-alum Bowden Wyatt (1955--1962)[×]. It probably wasn't just an issue of style: Spurrier would've been an 8th-grader when Wyatt ended his 3-year honeymoon on Rocky Top (extended by an SEC championship in his 2nd year [##]) with a 4--6 (SEC 4--3) 4th season. When Spurrier was attending Science Hill High, U.T. seasons were 5--4--1 (SEC 3--4--1), 6--2--2, 6--4, and during his senior year: 4--6 (SEC 2--6). Ouch! The latter was also Wyatt's last season as a coach [##].

-------
Note @: I don't know whether Rev. Spurrier was in a strict Presbyterian sect that freed him to make his own preaching arrangements, or whether he was in a moderate sect with superintendents who had bishop-like authority as superiors to assign mere ministers from place to place as needs seemed to arise among the various flocks for which they were responsible.

Note **: Probably in Tom McEwen's 1974 The Gators: A Story of Florida Football (Strode: Huntsville, Ala.; ISBN 0-87397-025-X) (but presently misplaced). Wikipedia calls it a "wing-T "; maybe so. Spurrier entered U.F. as a freshman in 1963.

Note ×: Wyatt was the first U.T. head football coach retained for more than 2 years (1955--1962) after Gen. Bob Neyland's postwar ‘last hurrah’ at U.T. (1946--1952). While the General still lived (he remained U.T. athletic director until his death in Spring 1962), Wyatt might have been banished for heresy if he had dared to significantly change the single wing by which Neyland brought an undisputed-but-belated mythical national championship to U.T. (1951). <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tennessee_Volunteers_head_football_coaches> (insert disclaimer about risks of trusting Wikipedia).

Note ##: Wyatt had been hired as U.T. head coach after head-coaching the Arkansas Razorbacks to the Southwest Conference championship (8--3, SWC 5--1) (1954). He extended his U.T. head-coaching (1955--1962) honeymoon to 3 years with an SEC championship in only his 2nd season (1956). Aha! Wikipedia fails to mention that Wyatt won that SEC championship in Heisman runner-up Johnny Majors' senior season at U.T.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_Wyatt>.

(Computer-performance & browser-mode issues prevented me from making minor corrections & clarifications on Nov. 11 (date of initial posting), but I did make corrections & clarifications in my off-line copy, which as of Nov. 12, is the version seen here. A rewrite to untangle my presentation of information that I found about obscure U.T. head-coach Wyatt would be excessive effort to expend on an Internet message-board posting.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT