ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Good McElwain Recruting Analysis

Fred might have been the best individual talent of the six, but Anderson was not too far behind.

John L was a special talent. Played for a long time in the NFL.
Both Neal Anderson and John L Williams played in more Pro Bowls than Fred Taylor. Fred Taylor was the best individual talent, but people seem to forget how good Anderson and John L was.

The best backfield UF ever had was Anderson, John L and Hampton. That's 3 first round picks. Your not going to find any trio at UF that is more impressive than that.

There is no wrong answer. Both sets of triplets were great at the college level. But the one you mention was not nearly as talented.

And I agree, we all have a right to our own opinions. However....

Running Backfields, as Gators in college, cause I'm a Gator fan. I don't really G-a-S about the bs No Fun League. The best NFL RB's are a different question altogether.

QB-DT Tebow - 176 for 673 yds, 12 TD's

RB/WR Percy Harvin - 70 for 660 yds, 10 TD's

RB Chris Rainey - 84 for 652 yds, 4 TD's.

RB/Ath Jeff Demps - 78 for 605 yds, 7 TD's

RB Emmanuel Moody - 58 for 417 yds, 1 TD

RB Kestahn Moore - 29 for 142 yds, 4 TD's

RB/Ath Brandon James - 14 for 59 yds, 2 TD's

Totals - 509 for 3,208 yds, 6.3 ypc, 40 TD's

-------------------

Just the top 3 RB's:

660+652+605 = 232 for 1,917 yds, 8.3 ypc, 21 TD's

And I agree, we all have a right to our own opinions. However....

Running Backfields, as Gators in college, cause I'm a Gator fan. I don't really G-a-S about the bs No Fun League. The best NFL RB's are a different question altogether.

QB-DT Tebow - 176 for 673 yds, 12 TD's

RB/WR Percy Harvin - 70 for 660 yds, 10 TD's

RB Chris Rainey - 84 for 652 yds, 4 TD's.

RB/Ath Jeff Demps - 78 for 605 yds, 7 TD's

RB Emmanuel Moody - 58 for 417 yds, 1 TD

RB Kestahn Moore - 29 for 142 yds, 4 TD's

RB/Ath Brandon James - 14 for 59 yds, 2 TD's

Totals - 509 for 3,208 yds, 6.3 ypc, 40 TD's

-------------------

Just the top 3 RB's:

660+652+605 = 232 for 1,917 yds, 8.3 ypc, 21 TD's

I was going to mention this backfield as well. Spurrier said he thought Harvin would average 200 yards a game if he played strictly running back. Tebow ran for more tds than Herschel. Rainey would be in the NFL if he weren't an idiot.

Bro not even close but that was one of our best teams too...just my opinion..might not be right.

You're right it wasn't close. The early 80s backfield was that much better. John L Williams was the best fullback in America. Neal Anderson is the second leading rusher in Chicago Bears History. James Jones started for 10 years for the Detroit Lions and was their main rushing threat. Eli was a natural Cornerback and as good as Terry Jackson was, he was a late rounder and was a career backup for the 49ers.

You're right it wasn't close. The early 80s backfield was that much better. John L Williams was the best fullback in America. Neal Anderson is the second leading rusher in Chicago Bears History. James Jones started for 10 years for the Detroit Lions and was their main rushing threat. Eli was a natural Cornerback and as good as Terry Jackson was, he was a late rounder and was a career backup for the 49ers.
Lol...I guess a little before my time.

Saw this posted on The Mainboard and found it fascinating. Especially with all of the constant bitching about the rankings of Mac's recruiting classes.

Since 2012, FSU's recruiting classes have been ranked 3rd, 11th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd. In that same timeframe, Clemson's recruiting classes have been ranked 15th, 15th 17th, 9th and 11th. Yet, Dabo is considered a recruiting god to the point of strong suspicion that he's cheating like a mofo, and Mac is considered a piece of crap recruiter who has added no talent to the UF roster. And what has FSU's recruiting ranking done for them the last couple of years, versus where Clemson sits?

BTW, Mac's first class was #23, this up from #92 when he was first hired. Last year he was #13

All very true and I've said much the same before myself.

A sad reality is that your class ranking doesn't mean a whole lot, IF you don't put the best performer on the field every week. Also, what a player does in practice has to be combined with what he does on the field on game days. A great practice player is not guaranteed to be a great game day player.

Mac wont be here for year 4 if we dont recruit in the top 10 this season. No excuse for turning into 3 star U these past few years. All the other recent hires kicked butt their 2nd class unlike Mac even when taking over a bad situation.

I frequent another Gator board quite a bit. On of the regular posters had some cogent analysis of the recruiting performance done by McElwain. Much with which I agree. I am ripping his work and presenting it here.
Let's take a look at this allegedly deficient recruiting for a minute. I think people get too caught up in recruiting rankings and don't pay enough attention to actual talent.

In 2015, we signed a total of 21 kids. This was the class that was OMFG THE WORST CLASS IN RECRUITING HISTORY!!!! just two weeks before NSD according to critter and other impeccable sources. It was also a class that McElwain put together in a month. From that class, I'd categorize them as follows:

Elite:

CeCe Jefferson, Antonio Callaway

Proven SEC-level talent (not elite per se, but more than capable of playing at a high level in the SEC):

Martez Ivey, Jordan Scarlett, Jordan Cronkrite, Tyler Jordan

Jury is out: (have shown at least some potential, but not enough to prove themselves yet)

Nick Buchanan, Keivonnis Davis*, Chris Williamson, Kylan Johnson, Jabari Zuniga*, Luke Ancrum, Fred Johnson*, Richard Desir-Jones, Brandon Sandifer

Non-factors:

D'Anfernee McGriff (DNQ), Rayshad Jackson, Daniel Imatorbhebhe, Kalif Jackson, Andrew Ivie, Camrin Knight

*the asterisks denote players who have at least show signs that they very likely could play well here but do not have a large enough sample size to judge just yet.

That's six proven players out of the 21, and another likely 4 to add to the list. 10 out of 21 legit SEC players in a rough recruiting year isn't exactly terrible. So let's then cover 2016 in the next post.

Scarlett and Cronkrite havent played up to high level SEC talent yet unless the production of good SEC backs has dropped a lot against lower level competition. The jury is still out on them.

Mac wont be here for year 4 if we dont recruit in the top 10 this season. No excuse for turning into 3 star U these past few years. All the other recent hires kicked butt their 2nd class unlike Mac even when taking over a bad situation.
We all know the lifeblood of college football is recruiting. Saban, Meyer (and Jimbo) have recruited very well and if Mc doesn't get his fair share he won't be winning it big. If you don't get really good OL/DL and QB recruits you will never do anything.

We all know the lifeblood of college football is recruiting. Saban, Meyer (and Jimbo) have recruited very well and if Mc doesn't get his fair share he won't be winning it big. If you don't get really good OL/DL and QB recruits you will never do anything.
You still have to be a good head coach as well. It isn't all about recruiting. Just ask Jimbo who does less with more than just about any coach in the country.

You still have to be a good head coach as well. It isn't all about recruiting. Just ask Jimbo who does less with more than just about any coach in the country.

I agree that Jimbo is a very average head coach. But that also proves the importance of recruiting as he has a NC and a playoff appearance off recruiting alone.

Add to it that the two beat recruiters in the country have what, 7 or 8 of the last 10 National Titles. To be elite you have to get in the top 5 more often than not. Or have Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh or Chip Kelly as your HBC. And what is worse for us is the 10-12 teams in front of us are mostly teams we are in direct competition with in recruiting and on the field.

Mac cannot get us to the top recruiting as poorly in Florida as he does.

In addition to Fisher ask Les Miles how far you get just being a very good recruiter. Coaches like Miles and Fisher do less with more than anybody in the country.

In addition to Fisher ask Les Miles how far you get just being a very good recruiter. Coaches like Miles and Fisher do less with more than anybody in the country.

Yes. But this does not mean average recruiting will lead to elite teams. It does mean that elite recruiting alone isn't enough. But if Big Eddie beats us with LSU that will tell you either recruiting is very important or Big Eddie O is a better coach than Mac?

Richt recruited like a machine as well at GA. Where did that get him?

I get it, guys recruit well and don't win. But sans Cam's Auburn team the National Champions of the last decade plus have routinely have numerous classes in the top 3-5.

Recruiting does not guarentee sucess, no one is arguing that. But success requires elite recruiting, and the statistics back that.

Scarlett and Cronkrite havent played up to high level SEC talent yet unless the production of good SEC backs has dropped a lot against lower level competition. The jury is still out on them.

Not sure I agree about Scarlett.

2015 running output
Non conference 4.6 ypc
Conference 5.89 ypc

2016 running output
Non conference 5.5 ypc
Conference 5.65 ypc

Scarlett does *better* against SEC competition. Plus, anytime a back is average more than 5 ypc, he is doing a good job.

That, and SEC competition varies as much as from Bama to Kensucky varies.
And even teams like Miz or MsSt can vary greatly on defense from year to year.

You look at the yearly totals for everybody, add in your own eyes, and then you make your own biased opinion judgments about it. This is not new.... :cool:

:D

Low work schedule, short random hours (minutes), not much to do,,,, sounds about right to me. Prolly get an ooozzzie dunny-goater for that price, and prolly be over paying them, even at that low rate... :D

:D

Low work schedule, short random hours (minutes), not much to do,,,, sounds about right to me. Prolly get an ooozzzie dunny-goater for that price, and prolly be over paying them, even at that low rate... :D

Btw, I own a business.

I create jobs.

My taxes pay for you to exist.

Enjoy hombre.

Go read the 'Grace Commission Report' sometime dildo, your taxes don't pay chit for me, never have, never will. However, my working a job (since I was a kid growing up in Ybor City) has always paid my way. I had my first business at 10 years old, so I'm not impressed about you finally getting up off of your lazy ass and going to work. (what happened, did the welfare and the unemployment finally run out?)

When I was a kid, my parents idea of an allowance was that they'd let me keep a small portion of what I made at my various businesses. Welfare is for you and likely your mother, and any illegitimate dweebs that you might ever produce, if you can get away from your man-crushes that is...

You're also totally clueless about what an 'hombre' really is, but I'm not. You see, I grew up in a whole neighborhood that was filled up with us.

Go read the 'Grace Commission Report' sometime dildo, your taxes don't pay chit for me, never have, never will. However, my working a job (since I was a kid growing up in Ybor City) has always paid my way. I had my first business at 10 years old, so I'm not impressed about you finally getting up off of your lazy ass and going to work. (what happened, did the welfare and the unemployment finally run out?)

When I was a kid, my parents idea of an allowance was that they'd let me keep a small portion of what I made at my various businesses. Welfare is for you and likely your mother, and any illegitimate dweebs that you might ever produce, if you can get away from your man-crushes that is...

You're also totally clueless about what an 'hombre' really is, but I'm not. You see, I grew up in a whole neighborhood that was filled up with us.

Where did you cut and paste that from?

Because other than my use of the recently relevant "hombre," you just made up a lot of things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT