ADVERTISEMENT

Orange and Blue Spring Game

I think Franks is a guy that has a high enough ceiling that more and more live action time will just make him better.

He may stumble some, but if he can start throughout this season and show some real progression, he'll look real good next year.

If you went into that game with an open mind, there is nothing that happened that says "oh shit we're in trouble." Y'all are seeing what you want to see. Franks looked fine and Toney also made tons of plays on the zone read. That's a nice base to start with, stop with the agendas people.

If you went into that game with an open mind, there is nothing that happened that says "oh shit we're in trouble." Y'all are seeing what you want to see. Franks looked fine and Toney also made tons of plays on the zone read. That's a nice base to start with, stop with the agendas people.

Only letting Franks throw the stuff he did against mostly overmatched defenders tells me Mac was trying to hide how bad we are at QB.

I don't understand what you guys are watching? He threw deep. The TD to Calloway was perfectly thrown with zip and on time regardless of who the defender was. I can only recall one occasion where he held the ball every other time as soon as he hit his back foot the ball came out which means he's understanding what he's seeing. I didn't see one misread by him all night and even on the overthrows he went to the right guy he just put too much arm behind it. He climbed the pocked when pressure got around edge too. I'm not saying he's going to be awesome or anything but there's nothing from that game that screams he's terrible or that we're in trouble like I keep reading. I just think y'all went in with your minds made up and are being nitpicky to support that point, he played good.

I don't understand what you guys are watching? He threw deep. The TD to Calloway was perfectly thrown with zip and on time regardless of who the defender was. I can only recall one occasion where he held the ball every other time as soon as he hit his back foot the ball came out which means he's understanding what he's seeing. I didn't see one misread by him all night and even on the overthrows he went to the right guy he just put too much arm behind it. He climbed the pocked when pressure got around edge too. I'm not saying he's going to be awesome or anything but there's nothing from that game that screams he's terrible or that we're in trouble like I keep reading. I just think y'all went in with your minds made up and are being nitpicky to support that point, he played good.
Agreed. I'd prefer to certainly go forward with Franks and a little bit of Toney over Zaire.

Not to mention we were very vanilla on both sides of the ball. McElwain said as much. We've installed some new things on offense that aren't on much tape either.

I think this has to do with nearly a decade of poor QB play.

Franks has his faults but he looks pretty good for a young guy.

It's April though, people are going to fester.

He just has the look of a guy that when things go bad have no spine or don't care enough to win, i hate the fiery passion casual fan narrative as much as anyone, but we haven't had a QB with one like Rex and Tim had for a long time.. Guys that want to win and will go down swinging, not just look like a confused rattled teddy bear, like Driskel... and to me, he looks like one of those guys we've seen too much of in that aspect. I mean i haven't seen him play to know it but that's just what i see, because that's what we've been stuck with for about a decade and i need to see something else before i know anything else...

I think I was probably the biggest Franks critic there was all last year from his release to everything and after the spring game he was all but a non-factor to me. But I'm not gonna let my initial thoughts cloud what's happening...he looked good. Like I keep saying the best sign was that the ball always came out once he completed his drop no wasted time thinking. I think it was in the 2nd quarter he took a PA from under center, climbed the pocket and threw a strike to Powell on a crosser. He has things to work on like any young QB but the base is there. Only cause for concern I see is because his arm is so strong he looks like he could get wild at times but I'd rather try to calm down a QB who thinks he can make every throw and tries to instead of trying to make a timid QB play with some balls.

If there's anything to be concerned about it's Nuss or the damn oline run blocking. The 2nd team defense which doesn't look all that impressive themselves drove the line back in the run game often. They don't look that much better to me. Franks with reps and some decent playcalling will be fine. He had command of the offense night and day difference to last year.

along with the OL, it makes our fans sound negative, but why would anyone expect the offense to do anything worth a damn, if it's not one group its another, EVERY year. The OL is soft with the same problems every season, and if we had everything else ready to go, then it would be the coaching as the problem. It's just never ended, and if you have a mix of both, you get = same old shit

The OL won't be soft with Brad Davis. I believe that unit will be much improved come August.

I cannot believe that RANDY "MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW" SHANNON is our DC. I would have lost my testicles on that bet.

It will take some time for me to trust him (BAG MAN FOR LUTHER CAMPBELL). He is a good coach, but he could be a Trojan Horse...and I am not talking about the condom that Jameis did not wear while not raping that woman.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
we haven't had a QB with one like Rex and Tim had for a long time.. Guys that want to win and will go down swinging...

There is a ton of truth in this statement. Our QB's since Tebow left have had a serious lack of moxie. They seem like robots who are just plug and play pieces with no emotional investment in the success of the program: The closest we got was Grier...and he was on drugs, so...

We could really use somebody with some fire in their gut.

Reactions: 46885
I cannot believe that RANDY "MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW" SHANNON is our DC. I would have lost my testicles on that bet.

It will take some time for me to trust him (BAG MAN FOR NEVIN SHAPIRO). He is a good coach, but he could be a Trojan Horse...and I am not talking about the condom that Jameis did not wear while not raping that woman.
Shannon and Shapiro did not like each other very much at all. When Shannon became the head coach he warned his players about Shapiro. Not sure where you got your info from.

http://forum.gatorsports.com/topic/...ary-on-miami-part-2-from-todays-miami-herald/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...vin-shapiro-coaches-players-warned-violations

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/l...ndy-shannon-hates-nevin-shapiro-angle-6521150

Reactions: 46885
There is a ton of truth in this statement. Our QB's since Tebow left have had a serious lack of moxie. They seem like robots who are just plug and play pieces with no emotional investment in the success of the program: The closest we got was Grier...and he was on drugs, so...

We could really use somebody with some fire in their gut.

that's exactly what im talking about, it's been ridiculous.. Somehow, we have had the most mental midget weak minded QB's in the conference for YEARS on end. Anything goes wrong, they completely crumble and you get a repeat of what happened in Knoxville last year overall... I remember when we played UT back in that monsoon in 2002 the year after they ruined our season from going to the Rose Bowl, and still the best Gator team overall to me and Spurriers best, (also Dockett ruined that season with this embarrassing thug tactics RIP in pieces Earnest Grahams knee), nothing was happening from either offense into the 2nd quarter, Rex was under pressure, took off and scampered for about 20 something yards and got up going wild throwing up his arms and getting our fans that traveled going, we went down and scored and never looked back, after that moment and getting everyone confident and going and in UT's players heads, he threw about 4 TD's to Taylor Jacobs and we SLAUGHTERED them like 30-13.. I remember that game well, it was AWESOME, I was riding to my game on the bus in HS because we had to play after a storm postponed our game on Friday night and I was watching it on a little tv on the bus and in the locker room. I ended up feeling like a million bucks after that win and ending up catching the game winning TD for my HS team that night, great day when numbers was a mere tiny young buck...

But we don't have anything like that and haven't since Tebow, those guys used to take over games mentally and physically on their own because of just HOW BADLY they wanted to win and hated losing even more. We need it back, even an average talented guy with that moxie can be a lot of difference with that confidence in the college game, I know that Toney has it, that kid will refuse to be held back and WILL get on that field and play. He has a very important bright future with us and could be very much like Jalen Hurts, except he is way more quick, fast and athletic and might even be a better passer, just much smaller.. But like I told danny, that doesn't matter much with the type of offense he runs and gets out of the pocket to make the field grow in his vision on the edges. Im very excited about the kid from my home state playing for the Gators, i'd have zero problem with that kid being our starter in a few years.

Shannon and Shapiro did not like each other very much at all. When Shannon became the head coach he warned his players about Shapiro. Not sure where you got your info from.

http://forum.gatorsports.com/topic/...ary-on-miami-part-2-from-todays-miami-herald/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...vin-shapiro-coaches-players-warned-violations

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/l...ndy-shannon-hates-nevin-shapiro-angle-6521150

I meant bagman for LUTHER CAMPBELL. I conflated the scandals. That's where I got my information from. I'll make the correction. It was very late when I made that post and I live in Denver.

Last edited:
Decided to watch some of this game again. Franks really telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball. On almost all passing plays except the short dump offs he was staring down his receivers right after the snap. Didn't really see much at all that would suggest he can read a defense and hit 2nd options except for the short couple of yard dump off passes.

Decided to watch some of this game again. Franks really telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball. On almost all passing plays except the short dump offs he was staring down his receivers right after the snap. Didn't really see much at all that would suggest he can read a defense and hit 2nd options except for the short couple of yard dump off passes.
Disgree. He was looking off guys all afternoon. The commentators even made mention of it a few times. The specifically mentioned it on his TD pass to Callaway and his long pass to Hammond on how he was looking guys off.

Disgree. He was looking off guys all afternoon. The commentators even made mention of it a few times. The specifically mentioned it on his TD pass to Callaway and his long pass to Hammond on how he was looking guys off.

Yep that TD and other passes with distance he looked the whole time almost at where he was going with it. He is good for doing the quick look off on the short stuff. It just scares me we are going to have SEC DBs breaking on many plays watching that. Its not the same as going against walk on DBs in a setup Spring game.

Yep that TD and other passes with distance he looked the whole time almost at where he was going with it. He is good for doing the quick look off on the short stuff. It just scares me we are going to have SEC DBs breaking on many plays watching that. Its not the same as going against walk on DBs in a setup Spring game.

The TD pass he threw to Calloway was a smash concept...curl with a corner route behind it. He's SUPPOSED to look that way the whole time, it's 2-way read to one side of the field. He's reading both the corner and safety...if the corner bails he hits the curl, if the corner plays the curl then he goes to the corner behind him and in between the safety, which is what he did.

I followed Joakim, Corey and Taurean down frat row after the O&B game after their first NC and I yelled, "BACK TO BACK!!"

I am pretty sure it was me that inspired them to repeat.

Interesting.

We parked on Frat Row for that O&B game and we were walking behind them. I remember pointing them out to the wife. Small world.

Reactions: GordonGecko
The Good,,, The Bad,,, and now for some U-GLY...

With the 1 Offense against the 2-3 + walk-on's defense:

Franks was 8 of 14 (57%) for 119 yds (14.9 yds/comp) with a TD pass vs 2 walk-on DB's.

Toney was 3 of 5 (60%) for 24 yds (8 yds/comp) with a Chinese fire-drill TD pass.
He also ran 5 for 74 yds, 14.8 ypc with a long run of 34 yds. (Harvin?)

Trask was 2 of 2 (100%) for 35 yards (17.5 yds/comp) during his lone 61 yd TD drive.
He also contributed an 8 yard scramble run to keep that drive alive.
--------------

There is not now, nor has there ever been, a 'real' battle between any of them. The choices for position starters have been long ago pre-ordained, and then pushed forward.

Blue Offense = 0 -- So nobody could do squat with their hands tied behind their backs.:rolleyes:
Which is why Franks didn't take a single snap with them. Trask was the 'designated punching bag' for the 1st team defense to shine. :oops:

This proves beyond all doubt that Franks is the man and he's a proven starter.

While it proves that if Trask remains at UF, then he accepts being a career backup.
I'm guessing that the same goes for Allen when/if he arrives. :cool:

The backup plan is for Zaire to start with LDR as his 'experienced' backup... :rolleyes:
===========

What I learned during the O&B game was,,,, not much of any interest to me. :confused:

Franks will be the starter with Toney as the change of pace, and his real backup.
Scarlett will be the starter. Others will only play when he needs a blow.
Callaway, Powell & Cleveland will be the starters. Hammond plays if they need a blow.
The TE's won't matter much again. Distractions, or as blockers if they can learn how. :oops:
The average OL will at least have some depth. :)

The defense will be there, and they will all be playing their tails off...
(btw, alligators without tails don't swim all that fast...) :confused:

Final Analysis: The O&B game has been turned into a useless, pre-ordained excuse for a ball game, with little to no value except as a PC/PR campaign. Next year, if I'm still around, I won't even bother to watch it. I'll just lightly skim over the PR articles about it with my next day morning coffee, while I grimace. The Spring game is now (imo) at the same competition level as the average Pro wrassling match... :(

And now, back to your regularly scheduled entertainment... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
The TD pass he threw to Calloway was a smash concept...curl with a corner route behind it. He's SUPPOSED to look that way the whole time, it's 2-way read to one side of the field. He's reading both the corner and safety...if the corner bails he hits the curl, if the corner plays the curl then he goes to the corner behind him and in between the safety, which is what he did.

We will see but I just see similarities with what another QB here was bad at doing. I think LDR is very limited for an SEC QB but I think he would out play Franks right now after watching him. He was given things on a silver platter in that game with the matchups and still looked ordinary. I will be the happiest person if I am wrong but watching him makes me think we will see quite a few DBs breaking on his stuff making interceptions. I hope he makes big progress in the fall.

Correct. He did exactly what he is supposed to do.

Well the play was shorter than I realized first watching it but I have seen similar plays and QBs make just a slight movement of their head to still keep the deep DBs guessing a little. That little fake move Calloway did wouldn't get most good SEC DB's that far out of position like that walk on # 30. I could definitely see a good DB with better football speed breaking good on throws like that if he knows the QB is throwing there. He also stared down some receivers on other passes.

Edit: Looking at the defense angle shot of the play I guess Franks did have his eyes on Powell some before making the throw to Holloway so he wasn't staring down Calloway the whole time like I thought happened in the normal view.

Last edited:
The Good,,, The Bad,,, and now for some U-GLY...

With the 1 Offense against the 2-3 + walk-on's defense:

Franks was 8 of 14 (57%) for 119 yds (14.9 yds/comp) with a TD pass vs 2 walk-on DB's.

Toney was 3 of 5 (60%) for 24 yds (8 yds/comp) with a Chinese fire-drill TD pass.
He also ran 5 for 74 yds, 14.8 ypc with a long run of 34 yds. (Harvin?)

Trask was 2 of 2 (100%) for 35 yards (17.5 yds/comp) during his lone 61 yd TD drive.
He also contributed an 8 yard scramble run to keep that drive alive.
--------------

There is not now, nor has there ever been, a 'real' battle between any of them. The choices for position starters have been long ago pre-ordained, and then pushed forward.

Blue Offense = 0 -- So nobody could do squat with their hands tied behind their backs.:rolleyes:
Which is why Franks didn't take a single snap with them. Trask was the 'designated punching bag' for the 1st team defense to shine. :oops:

This proves beyond all doubt that Franks is the man and he's a proven starter.

While it proves that if Trask remains at UF, then he accepts being a career backup.
I'm guessing that the same goes for Allen when/if he arrives. :cool:

The backup plan is for Zaire to start with LDR as his 'experienced' backup... :rolleyes:
===========

What I learned during the O&B game was,,,, not much of any interest to me. :confused:

Franks will be the starter with Toney as the change of pace, and his real backup.
Scarlett will be the starter. Others will only play when he needs a blow.
Callaway, Powell & Cleveland will be the starters. Hammond plays if they need a blow.
The TE's won't matter much again. Distractions, or as blockers if they can learn how. :oops:
The average OL will at least have some depth. :)

The defense will be there, and they will all be playing their tails off...
(btw, alligators without tails don't swim all that fast...) :confused:

Final Analysis: The O&B game has been turned into a useless, pre-ordained excuse for a ball game, with little to no value except as a PC/PR campaign. Next year, if I'm still around, I won't even bother to watch it. I'll just lightly skim over the PR articles about it with my next day morning coffee, while I grimace. The Spring game is now (imo) at the same competition level as the average Pro wrassling match... :(

And now, back to your regularly scheduled entertainment... :D

So of course you move the goal posts specifically for Trask to where he goes 2-2 in one drive, while ignoring his total game stats....yet list the total game stats for the other guys.

Goodness.

So of course you move the goal posts specifically for Trask to where he goes 2-2 in one drive, while ignoring his total game stats....yet list the total game stats for the other guys.

Goodness.

And Trask's 2-2 featured a screen pass to Calloway where he made a defender miss and ran for big yards and another short dump off. So not even throws down the field or throws that required any reading of the defense. But hey more stats without context! I guess Mr. Superfan is off the McElwain bandwagon now since BFF Trask doesn't look to be starting, even threatening to be gone from the board because of it LMAO. The good news is we can look forward to 12 weeks of uninformed bitching and I told you so's even when those I told you so's are wrong. Lucky us.

I listed all of the pass plays that they gave Trask and Franks with the orange offense.

Now you twits can list for us, all of the plays that Franks had with the blue offense.

That might give us a 'fair' comparison.

crickets.jpg

============

"Franks still locked onto his first read a lot, targeting them with 11 of his 14 passes. He also wasn't particularly accurate on those passes, completing 6 of them."
(6 of 11, 54.5%) -- Will Miles - SEC-Country

Heisman Danny Wuerffel said to not forget about LDR as the possible starter, after watching the anointed Franks run exclusively with the 1 Offense against the 2-3-W-O defense....

Last edited:
Except Franks didn't run exclusively with the first team offense, at least not with regard to the oline anyway. The oline was mixing and matching the entire night with guys on the blue team swapping into the orange jerseys on different drives and vice versa. Did you people even watch the game?

Personally Franks looks to be the starter over Trask. However, I'm not writing a young guy off becuase of a spring game (i.e. Trask this year; Franks last year)

I see on other sites many of the Michigan fans weren't too impressed with our Spring game with some pretty arrogant about what they think their chances are against us. I am not really sure what to think we will see against them with all those players leaving. They seem convinced their D Line will be just as good if not better but they are worried about their O line. Just watching them last year they do blitz like crazy and won't stop unless you prove you can burn them for it consistently. That scares me knowing we may have a new QB in there. As far as them bringing their QB back it is a plus but their QB is no world beater. I just wish one of our likely strengths the O line wasn't going against their strength the D line because we may find some trouble if we are forced to pass a lot.They seemed to play pretty well against standard pocket passers last year.

I listed all of the pass plays that they gave Trask and Franks with the orange offense.

Now you twits can list for us, all of the plays that Franks had with the blue offense.

That might give us a 'fair' comparison.

crickets.jpg

============

"Franks still locked onto his first read a lot, targeting them with 11 of his 14 passes. He also wasn't particularly accurate on those passes, completing 6 of them."
(6 of 11, 54.5%) -- Will Miles - SEC-Country

Heisman Danny Wuerffel said to not forget about LDR as the possible starter, after watching the anointed Franks run exclusively with the 1 Offense against the 2-3-W-O defense....

Yep Franks didn't show me anything to make me think he has solved the reading a defense problem he supposedly has in practice but LDR didn't show anything to make me think he could be the answer either even though I know he was thrown to the wolves early in that game. I still can't believe they had walk ons covering players like Calloway etc. many times when most of the first team offense was in there. I am 100% on the get Zaire train now but he will probably sign with another team before the SEC changes the rule if they do.

Except Franks didn't run exclusively with the first team offense, at least not with regard to the oline anyway. The oline was mixing and matching the entire night with guys on the blue team swapping into the orange jerseys on different drives and vice versa. Did you people even watch the game?

Clueless or totally biased. It's got to be one or the other. :confused:

Did Franks ever, even once, line up behind the blue team 'screen-door' OL, with the blue team receivers, against the orange 1st team defense? o_O
You're such a schmuck... :confused:

biased towards what?
What team does trask play for again

Part A -- “exhibited or characterized by an unreasoned judgment”

Part B -- Nobody, he's just a no talent backup QB for Manvel HS in TX... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT