ADVERTISEMENT

Orange and Blue Spring Game

Franks is a better passer than Zaire. Toney is a better runner/athlete than Zaire. Franks will start with some packages for Toney. Toney will get on the field someway. Not surprised. I said he was a highly underrated prospect out of high school.

He makes Treon look like Rex.

He makes Driskel look like Wuerffel.

He makes Wayne Peace look like Wayne Peace.

wayne peace was white and wore my HS number...

conv_1219-jpg.373

It's just the spring game so gotta keep that perspective but here's what I saw:

Offense:
Oline still gets little push in the run game, even when it was 1st team offense vs. second team defense. Almost the entire time it was 2nd and long, 3rd and medium. Scarlett and Perine looked good though when they weren't getting tackled at the LOS and Thompson needs to be glued to the bench, dude has butterfingers. At QB Frank's talent jumped off the screen. He did overthrow a couple balls but it looks like to me he's gonna have that Matt Stafford problem where he feels his arm so much he'll think he can fit it into any window but I'm good with that because for every mistake we'll get a couple NFL throws. He climbed the pocket really well throughout the night too and its also good to see his release has been cleaned up a lot. Trask I thought wasn't as bad as his numbers...yea he put some balls into coverage and he panicked at times, but that's to be expected the dude hasn't played I just felt at times things moved too fast for him. But the 2nd team oline was also terrible and allowed tons of pressures so it wasn't all him, hard to really say. Toney needs to get on the field but not at QB...I'm not seeing it there but he could be nice in the slot. Not much to say about the receivers they're mostly reliable, I guess.

Defense:
I actually came away from the game more concerned about this unit. One, Shannon scares me. I know they're gonna say they were just being vanilla but we stayed in a base 4-3 and ran cover 2 and cover 3 all game. This might not be a big deal if we didn't do the exact same thing all game against Iowa and if this wasn't his history as a coordinator...he's very basic. And seeing that weakside LB walked over the slot every time the offense went 3 and 4-wide instead of having an extra DB out there made me cringe, that gets eaten up by any good offense. And the 2nd team defense you could see a noticeable dropoff between them and the 1st team unit, they're small and slow. The corners don't have a lot of foot speed and the LB's have decent size but just aren't very fast. I think we'll still be pretty good but if we have injuries, which we almost always have, we'll be in trouble unlike years past. Some of those dudes don't look like UF caliber athletes, I think this is where all the 'underrated gems' we've taken might catch up this year.

I know Spring games are setups for the most part but that was a complete joke with the starters on offense.

Lol really?

We've won games with awful QBs and almost nothing at WR/TE.

I think we'll be okay to win 8 games.

Are you somehow drunker than me?

I wouldn't be 100% on that. That game makes me think we will be doing good to win 8 games this year. I had a few but still can see we have issues when we are even having execution problems playing 1st teamers against defenses with walk-ons in there.

I've been outta town, when do they play the Spring game? o_O
No,,, really? :rolleyes:

LDR's the man, but when will the AD be starting the new Head Coach / OC search? :cool:

Franks still sucks, I saw little to no improvement, even against the walkon DB's.
Trask should have transferred after the Spring game last year, as I suggested.
Toney had to be sleep walking when he committed to UF.
Zaire's IQ would need to be even lower than his pass completion % to come here.
Allen should have flipped elsewhere, but it's not to late for him to wake up.
Sproles will be LDR's backup by Sept. :oops:

Scarlett is an average back, playing behind an average OL.
Perine looks slower than he was last year.
Thompson,,, well,,, 4.0 body with 2.0 ball security, but can he play TE?
Davis and Lemons were the best backs in the Spring game. ;)

WR's? -- Calaway still looks okay.
TE's? -- Still a team weakness but Nord is a 4.0 coach...

Defense? A ways to go yet, but still a Top 25 for sure,,,, I think? :(

The best thing about last night is that ole hard-blow is clueless about what he'll be facing come Sept 3rd,,,,,,,,,,, just like the rest of us are.... :confused:

I know Spring games are setups for the most part but that was a complete joke with the starters on offense.

How? Franks had two overthrows but he went to the right read every single time. Stop analyzing the end result and look at the decision making that's usually what's most concerning with young QB's and his decision making was where it needed to be.

Franks had 3 over-throws, not 2, and his only TD came when there was zero rush (he had all day with nobody in his face) and the TD went to the AA WR that was supposedly being covered by 2 walk-on DB's. He was so wide open that I could have probably completed that pass..... :rolleyes:

I've been outta town, when do they play the Spring game? o_O
No,,, really? :rolleyes:

LDR's the man, but when will the AD be starting the new Head Coach / OC search? :cool:

Franks still sucks, I saw little to no improvement, even against the walkon DB's.
Trask should have transferred after the Spring game last year, as I suggested.
Toney had to be sleep walking when he committed to UF.
Zaire's IQ would need to be even lower than his pass completion % to come here.
Allen should have flipped elsewhere, but it's not to late for him to wake up.
Sproles will be LDR's backup by Sept. :oops:

Scarlett is an average back, playing behind an average OL.
Perine looks slower than he was last year.
Thompson,,, well,,, 4.0 body with 2.0 ball security, but can he play TE?
Davis and Lemons were the best backs in the Spring game. ;)

WR's? -- Calaway still looks okay.
TE's? -- Still a team weakness but Nord is a 4.0 coach...

Defense? A ways to go yet, but still a Top 25 for sure,,,, I think? :(

The best thing about last night is that ole hard-blow is clueless about what he'll be facing come Sept 3rd,,,,,,,,,,, just like the rest of us are.... :confused:

lol you're silly.

lol you're silly.
While you're still an A-hole stalker,,, so what? (rhetorical)

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

So you feel the need to jump in,,, because you're so needed here...
Attention hor or just a hopeful exhibitionist?

I enjoy batting the bunny from time to time.

If the attention bothers you, I'll cheerfully withdraw.

Franks had 3 over-throws, not 2, and his only TD came when there was zero rush (he had all day with nobody in his face) and the TD went to the AA WR that was supposedly being covered by 2 walk-on DB's. He was so wide open that I could have probably completed that pass..... :rolleyes:

I thought you were out of town unable to watch? And three overthrows instead of two, what a huge difference. I only recall the two near the redzone and he made the correct read both times. The rest of the time he was good, always on time and ball placement was where it needed to be.

Of course you have all the time in the world to critique Frank's performance while being completely silent on Trask's less than ideal performance. Even when he got with the first team he didn't set the world on fire. And to think you spent this entire offseason claiming you'd be fine with and support whoever started which we all knew was bullshit and now your bias is showing. I guess we can look forward to 12 games of you calling the staff clueless and downing the starting QB because it isn't your choice. Guess you ain't the superfan you pretend to be after all.

Orange just wanted it more.

Blue read their press clippings. That's why they play the game.

No one gave Orange a chance, they shocked the world.

Orange CRUSHes Blue again! :)
31-0.

Then again, it was the 1st team Orange Defense against the 2nd team Blue Offense (Trask, Thompson, etc.) against the 1st team Orange Offense (Franks, Scarlet, Callaway, etc, ) against the overmatched 2nd/3rd team Blue Defense. To me, this just indicates that our back-ups/walk-ons are not as good as the potential starters.

Why not break up the talent evenly like in the old days?
For instance, when both Zuniga & Jefferson met at the quarterback (poor unfortunate Trask), why not have each of these guys on opposing teams? I could see the skilled offensive players being somewhat rotated (i.e, Scarlett vs Perine/Thompson). But I could not tell how the offensive linemen were being distributed.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
I thought you were out of town unable to watch? And three overthrows instead of two, what a huge difference. I only recall the two near the redzone and he made the correct read both times. The rest of the time he was good, always on time and ball placement was where it needed to be.

Of course you have all the time in the world to critique Frank's performance while being completely silent on Trask's less than ideal performance. Even when he got with the first team he didn't set the world on fire. And to think you spent this entire offseason claiming you'd be fine with and support whoever started which we all knew was bullshit and now your bias is showing. I guess we can look forward to 12 games of you calling the staff clueless and downing the starting QB because it isn't your choice. Guess you ain't the superfan you pretend to be after all.

Nice rant, and you're just as stupid/easy as you always were/are.
Franks played GREAT. He's the man, or their boy, or your butt-buddy, whatever...

JMOHO but Franks should have stayed with LSU.
Trask should have gone to that D2 Bapt. school where he'd have at least fit in.
Toney was basically clueless to have come here.
Allen should flip while he still can, he's a 2017 redshirt where ever he goes now.
Zaire is still the poor joke QB that he's always been.

I'm now pulling for LDR to start, with Sproles as his backup, the rest all need to go elsewhere if they ever want to develop and/or play.

PS
And I've got your bias swingin' bubba... o_O

In almost 30 years of borderline obsessive following of gator football, sadgator can't remember one thing that ever happened in a spring Orange and Blue game that had any relevance to anything that ever happened during the next regular season.

I followed Joakim, Corey and Taurean down frat row after the O&B game after their first NC and I yelled, "BACK TO BACK!!"

I am pretty sure it was me that inspired them to repeat.

So, there. :p

In fall of 1988, I saw Emmitt enter a house party in the student ghetto and take a HOT chick home with him after talking to her for less than 5 minutes.

EDIT: I did not put that EMJOI after "SO THERE"....I think insta hack my account.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
In almost 30 years of borderline obsessive following of gator football, sadgator can't remember one thing that ever happened in a spring Orange and Blue game that had any relevance to anything that ever happened during the next regular season.

I recall Dallas Baker being a notorious Orange/Blue game hero for many years but could not parlay that success during the regular season until much, much later in his career! Last year, it was Luke Del Rio who was the OB hero but LDR only had marginal success before being injured.

I think that quarterback race is still wide open for this upcoming fall.

I think that quarterback race is still wide open for this upcoming fall.

Naw, Franks won the starting job, hands down, as anyone could see... ;)

His only competition between now and Sept will be LDR and/or Sproles.
Book it! -- o_O

Where'd you find filtered Lucky Strikes?

Guzzlin' cheap beer and smokin' LSMFT would be your chosen activities, not mine.

It's all one big conspiracy to keep Trask down. They even tried to fool everybody by giving him his only D-1 offer to throw people off their trail. The coaches sole objective is to ruin Trask's budding Hall-of-Fame career.

One of the last spring games I remember going to was in the early 2000's and a RB named Willie Green stole the show....It never equalled much in the season due to his bad knees.

Reactions: sadgator
Guzzlin' cheap beer and smokin' LSMFT would be your chosen activities, not mine.

What do you like to do in your ever abundant free time?

How? Franks had two overthrows but he went to the right read every single time. Stop analyzing the end result and look at the decision making that's usually what's most concerning with young QB's and his decision making was where it needed to be.

They did everything to help him and it still showed nothing in reality. Our QB situation has me nervous as hell and thinking LDR might be the best we have in reality.

They did everything to help him and it still showed nothing in reality. Our QB situation has me nervous as hell and thinking LDR might be the best we have in reality.
Disagree. I think Franks showed he can be the starting QB. I'd like to see Franks take the bulk of the QB snaps and bring in Toney as a change of pace for this upcoming season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT