ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to Discuss One-Time Transfer Waiver - How It Would Affect Florida

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
The one-time transfer waiver is up for discussion on April 24th with a vote scheduled for May 20th.

This long-awaited transfer rule would effectively allow any student-athlete a waiver to become immediately eligible for the upcoming season.

This legislation was sponsored by The Big Ten in October, 2019.

The Big Ten's proposal was largely unknown in NCAA circles. It went unpublished by the NCAA as it wound its way through the legislative cycle in October 2019. On Nov. 1, the NCAA Board of Directors put a moratorium on "transfer-related" proposals for the 2019-20 legislative calendar.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-to-transfer-once-without-sitting-out-a-year/

If passed, this would equalize the opportunity for all student-athletes. Currently, athletes in five sports are required to sit for a season when transferring - men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, hockey and football. In the NCAA's 20 other sports, athletes are allowed a one-time unrestricted transfer.

"...the Gators would benefit heavily. Wide receiver Justin Shorter (Penn State) and running back Lorenzo Lingard (Miami) would be the benefactors of such a move, able to immediately become eligible and suit up for the Gators this upcoming season."

"The team's other transfer, wide receiver Jordan Pouncey (Texas) is already eligible as he is denoted as a graduate transfer as a redshirt junior, according to the UF athletic department."

Pouncey's eligibility has been debated by several web sites; don't know how accurate this statement is. If transfer legislation passes - doesn't matter.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...scuss-one-time-transfer-waiver-florida-gators

Last edited:
UF has always helped anyone that wanted out,,, to go, so nothing to see there.

For the in's, it would put UF on equal grounds with tOSU.
Last year they could play QB Fields Fr from UGly
While UF couldn't play LB Cox Soph from UGly

~~ And it would certainly help all of the 5-stars to UGly, escape their initial mistakes. :D

The way that the NCAA has granted waivers in the past is 'chucked-up' imo, so the one-time xfer rule makes sense to me. I'm for it. :cool:

Over-board yet again... :rolleyes: (a brain-dead liberal trait in action)

A ONE-TIME xfer rule is NOT UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY... o_O

As always, I only want those that WANT to be Gators.
And 'If you ain't a Gator,,, then you're just more gatorbait.' :cool:

Terrible rule...but the genie is out of the bottle already with the portal waivers that have been previously granted....

it is happening...Free Agency is officially here...we just need to accept it and adapt...

Agreed that it's a terrible rule.

It would allow teams to basically recruit other schools. So a small school that found a 3 star gem would always have to worry that a big school might steal him away. With this rule, does a Ben Roethlisberger stay at Miami of Ohio for his entire career, or does Ohio State come calling and take him away? Big schools could end up with local small schools almost acting like farm teams for them. Which the small schools would not like one bit, btw.

Or maybe they would like it. I can see Bama sending recruits to UAB and telling them if they show out there they could get "promoted" to the big school, and UAB being ok with it because they would be getting much higher caliber recruits, even if not all of them stayed very long.

OTOH, it WOULD take the NCAA out of the waiver approval business, at which they have shown themselves to be amazingly bad.

Reactions: sadgator
Over-board yet again... :rolleyes: (a brain-dead liberal trait in action)

A ONE-TIME xfer rule is NOT UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY... o_O

As always, I only want those that WANT to be Gators.
And 'If you ain't a Gator,,, then you're just more gatorbait.' :cool:
Do you truly think that any transfer to any school is primarily doing it because of love? Nope. It’s about playing time and/or getting to the NFL.

Agreed that it's a terrible rule.

It would allow teams to basically recruit other schools. So a small school that found a 3 star gem would always have to worry that a big school might steal him away. With this rule, does a Ben Roethlisberger stay at Miami of Ohio for his entire career, or does Ohio State come calling and take him away? Big schools could end up with local small schools almost acting like farm teams for them. Which the small schools would not like one bit, btw.

Or maybe they would like it. I can see Bama sending recruits to UAB and telling them if they show out there they could get "promoted" to the big school, and UAB being ok with it because they would be getting much higher caliber recruits, even if not all of them stayed very long.

OTOH, it WOULD take the NCAA out of the waiver approval business, at which they have shown themselves to be amazingly bad.

I sent an email to the NCAA outlining my concerns about the "farm team" scenario. Because I am a buttinskie who cannot keep his opinions to himself. But any of you who have read any of my posts in here, well, thinking you already knew that about me.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I sent an email to the NCAA outlining my concerns about the "farm team" scenario. Because I am a buttinskie who cannot keep his opinions to himself. But any of you who have read any of my posts in here, well, thinking you already knew that about me.

A 1 hour detention,,, IF you believed that you were the only one like that here... :confused:

Count Dan Mullen among those that wants hard line rules that say these are the reasons you can transfer and play right away and these reasons are not eligible for a player to play right away.

" So I could tell you all the positives and negatives, both sides. I just think it would be much cleaner for everybody if there was consistency in the rule.” o_O

You and me (iG) both, Dan.... :cool:

https://247sports.com/college/flori...wants-a-standard-rule-on-transfers-146027689/

Jordan Pouncey-grad transfer or needs a waiver?

SI-Gator Maven calls him a Grad Transfer; 24/7 says he needs a waiver.

Emailed Scott Carter with SI-Gator Maven & he was kind enough to respond with the following -

"...He (Jordan) signed as a graduate transfer and fourth-year junior based on signing day information we released … sounds like the plan is for him to have his undergraduate degree by end of summer and play immediately as a grad transfer … if he has not completed undergraduate work by fall semester, he would likely need a waiver to be ruled immediately eligible from my understanding."

Thanks Scott !

I look at the xfers, both the in's and the out's, and what I see is this:

Those that left us on the whole, were a blessing for both program and for the player.

While those that have come in have also been a blessing for both. o_O

Things like this will tend to balance out over time, not become a major negative for either.

QB F. Franks **** from UF to Ark.

WR TQ Jackson *** from Ark to SMU

WR Jordan Jones *** from Ark to Cinci

WTF??? :confused:

==========

FL - UGly - X-fer Portal News per 247

OL Cade Mays ***** Jr from UGly to Tennis-sea (sits out in 20)
#17 QB-dt Jamie Newman *** rsSr grad-xfer to UGly from WF
Newman was a 3 star out of HS, but he's listed as a 4-star as a xfer.

=====
#1 LB/DE Brenton Cox ***** to UF from UGly (sit-out in 19, plays in 20)
=====

OL Issiah Walker **** Fr from UF back home to the scUM (sits out in 20)
OL Stewart Reese **** rsSr Grad-xfer to UF from MsSt
Reese was a 3 star out of HS, but he's listed as a 4-star as a xfer.

==========

Note: Since the new CFP was started, the SEC-C has been in every group of 4.

Terrible rule...but the genie is out of the bottle already with the portal waivers that have been previously granted....

it is happening...Free Agency is officially here...we just need to accept it and adapt...
I agree...make your decision and sit for a year or play JUCO for a year and come back in. This is stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT