ADVERTISEMENT

Lorenzo Lingard leaves the game with a hamstring injury; Montrell Johnson leads the way at RB

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
The pecking order at running back in the spring practice media viewing sessions has been fairly consistent through seven workouts, with redshirt senior Lorenzo Lingard, sophomore and Louisiana transfer Montrell Johnson and redshirt sophomore Demarkcus Bowman tending to take reps in drills in that order.

Lingard, Johnson, Bowman and injured redshirt junior back Nay'Quan Wright are likely all in line to receive their share of touches in 2022. But if AllGators had to predict which running back will earn the first carry of week one or even the upcoming orange and blue spring game, our guess would be Lingard.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ews-notes-spring-practice-7-2022-billy-napier

Always felt that Mullen & Greg Knox screwed up badly by not playing him consistently. With his speed - 10.71 seconds for the 100 M - hope he sees the field more.

Last edited:
The pecking order at running back in the spring practice media viewing sessions has been fairly consistent through seven workouts, with redshirt senior Lorenzo Lingard, sophomore and Louisiana transfer Montrell Johnson and redshirt sophomore Demarkcus Bowman tending to take reps in drills in that order.

Lingard, Johnson, Bowman and injured redshirt junior back Nay'Quan Wright are likely all in line to receive their share of touches in 2022. But if AllGators had to predict which running back will earn the first carry of week one or even the upcoming orange and blue spring game, our guess would be Lingard.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ews-notes-spring-practice-7-2022-billy-napier

Always felt that Mullen & Greg Knox screwed up badly by not playing him consistently. With his speed - 10.71 seconds for the 100 M - hope he sees the field more.

I hope Lingard is the absolute man, but this is the third spring I heard how good he looked. To be fair, it’s the same staff that criminally underused Pierce.

I hope Lingard is the absolute man, but this is the third spring I heard how good he looked.
To be fair, it’s the same staff that criminally underused Pierce.
ULL Nappy used 4 primary runners in 2021, 3 RB's and then 1 QB.

UF Mullen used 5 primary runners in 2021, 2 QB's and then 3 RB

But guess which one averaged over 200 Yds/Gm in 2021? (the mullet)
=====

So, if the Gator QB's hadn't taken off for 194 runs,
then maybe the RB's would have had more carries.
Jones 143
Richardson 51
Pierce 100
Davis 92
Wright 76

2 QB's = 194 = 1,271 Yds
3 RB's = 268 = 1,457 Yds

And since Nappy likes to use a committee rushing attack, I see at least 3 RB's sharing runs, along with the QB getting a piece of the action too.

Just some FYI, food for thought....

AR-15 -- 7.9 ypc, 3 TD's, L-80
Pierce - 5.7 ypc, 13 TD's, L-27
Jones -- 5.3 ypc, 4 TD's, L-49
Davis --- 5.3 ypc, 5 TD's, L-32
Wright - 4.3 ypc, 1 TD, L-34
All 5 averaged a 1st down on 3 carries.
While 4 averaged a 1st Dn on just 2 carries.

Team Rushed for 208.7 Yds/Gm with 26 TD's.

RB's Receiving:

Davis -- 23 for 217 yds, 9.4 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L-49
Pierce - 19 for 216 yds, 11.4 Yds/Rec, 3 TD's, L-61
Wright - 14 for 178 yds, 12.7 Yds/Rec, 1 TD, L-51

Not sure what to think of Lingard and Bowman yet. My guess would be Wright is #1 when healthy. As far as Lingard Miami fans claimed he was a track speed guy that didn't translate to a good RB against good defenses but he really didn't play much there.

Fall practice will sort them out, along with all of the other positions.

The first 2-3 game will finish/polish the sorting and the depth charts.

Same as usual, and everything is as it should be,,, seems to me.

Just like last season, we seem to be very deep at running back. In my humble opinion not a position of concern. Lot's of talent back there.

I hope we have one that can establish himself as the clear # 1 in carries. We probably had that last season but for whatever reason he was never allowed to do that 100%.

I hope we have one that can establish himself as the clear # 1 in carries. We probably had that last season but for whatever reason he was never allowed to do that 100%.
UF 2021 had 2 QB's combine for 194 carries, so that cut into how many carries that others could get. (ULL's QB only had 100 runs)

1. DP = 100, most yds and best ypc, most TD's
2. MD = 92,
#2 yds, #2 ypc, best receiver.
3. NW = 76, solid, steady, good run/rec combination.
So Pierce was the clear leader among the RB's.
==========

The question some seem to be asking is how will Nappy do it at UF?
Keep on guessing about Nappy, or just go by what he did in 2021 at ULL...

Rushng - 565 for 2,619 Net/Yds, 4.6 YPC, 187.1 Yds/Gm, 34 TD's

RB Smith - 152 for 894 yds, 5.6 ypc, 8 TD's, L-74
RB Johnson - 161 for 817 yds, 4.9 ypc, 12 TD's, L-99
RB Bailey - 95 for 633 yds, 6.5 ypc, 8 TD's, L-35
-----
QB Lewis - 100 for 519 yds, 3.4 ypc, 5 TD's, L-56
(39 sacks for -245 Yds)
-----
4 Others combined - 24 for 83 yds, 3.5 ypc, 0 TD's, L-10
-----
So, the 2 main RB's - 313 for 1,711 yds, 5.5 ypc, 20 TD's
3rd RB and the QB - 195 for 1,152 yds, 5.9 ypc, 13 TD's
=====

The coming 2022 season Nappy has:
QB Richardson
RB Wright
RB Lingard
RB Bowman
RB Johnson
RB Etienne

Lay-O-Ded

So, if he follows his program at ULL, there will the the QB + 3 RB's to carry the rushing load across the season, with a spare 4th RB to fill in for RB injuries, and a pretty good tFr RB to begin working with.
Which RB gets the most carries will be determined across the season, but I don't see one guy getting a large majority of the carries. The best 2 RB's will split the carries, with the 3rd RB and the QB getting a smaller but nice chunk of carries also.

Most times, a committee rushing attack, is the best answer.

Last edited:
UF 2021 had 2 QB's combine for 194 carries, so that cut into how many carries that others could get. (ULL's QB only had 100 runs)

1. DP = 100, most yds and best ypc, most TD's
2. MD = 92,
#2 yds, #2 ypc, best receiver.
3. NW = 76, solid, steady, good run/rec combination.
So Pierce was the clear leader among the RB's.
==========

The question some seem to be asking is how will Nappy do it at UF?
Keep on guessing about Nappy, or just go by what he did in 2021 at ULL...

Rushng - 565 for 2,619 Net/Yds, 4.6 YPC, 187.1 Yds/Gm, 34 TD's

RB Smith - 152 for 894 yds, 5.6 ypc, 8 TD's, L-74
RB Johnson - 161 for 817 yds, 4.9 ypc, 12 TD's, L-99
RB Bailey - 95 for 633 yds, 6.5 ypc, 8 TD's, L-35
-----
QB Lewis - 100 for 519 yds, 3.4 ypc, 5 TD's, L-56
(39 sacks for -245 Yds)
-----
4 Others combined - 24 for 83 yds, 3.5 ypc, 0 TD's, L-10
-----
So, the 2 main RB's - 313 for 1,711 yds, 5.5 ypc, 20 TD's
3rd RB and the QB - 195 for 1,152 yds, 5.9 ypc, 13 TD's
=====

The coming 2022 season Nappy has:
QB Richardson
RB Wright
RB Lingard
RB Bowman
RB Johnson

So, if he follows his program at ULL, there will the the QB + 3 RB's to carry the rushing load across the season, with a spare 4th RB to fill in for RB injuries.
Which RB gets the most carries will be determined across the season, but I don't see one guy getting a large majority of the carries. The best 2 RB's will split the carries, with the 3rd RB and the QB getting a smaller but nice chunk of carries also.

Most times, a committee rushing attack, is the best answer.

I would need to look but I think Pierce had just a few more carries than our #2 RB.

Just think what would've been had Pierce and Lamichael Perine were used effectivaley by Mullen' stupid ass. And I loved Perine, he was a 1300-yard rusher easy. Pierce would've followed him up with simialr numbers potentially. with Billy Boy's system, Lingard and Wright can be that dynamic duo whereas Johnson and Bowman can fill in. That Etienne kid from the Boot is who I'm dying to see.

I know it's just" his high school film, but watch it, one of the best RB H.S. tape I've seen. He's finally healthy, I'm rooting for him.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

Lorenzo Lingard was the only running back at full participation (Tuesday 4-5-22)​

Given the importance of the running back position to the new offense Florida will employ this season, the spot has consistently been an area of focus in the allotted media period in practice.

On Tuesday, Lorenzo Lingard hit the field as the only Gators ball carrier at full participation while Nay’Quan Wright, Demarkcus Bowman and Montrell Johnson rocked orange no-contact jerseys.

Don't want to see any of our players injured, but happy to see Lingard back healthy !

He has had a long difficult struggle to get back on the field.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ws-notes-spring-practice-10-2022-billy-napier

Screwing around with the 2022 opposing teams DC....

Richardson + Wright/Lingard
Then sometime in 2nd half, throw in...
Miller/Kitna/Wilson + Bowman/Johnson
And finish out late 4th quarter game with...
Brown + Etienne

Makes me kinda smile just thinking about it....
🤗
=====

What's better than having a single 1,500+ RB?
Having a 3,000+ Running Committee....
=====

2008 Rushing -- Total 3,236 Yds, 42 TD's.

QB Tebow 176 for 673
RB/WR Harvin 70 for 668
RB Rainey 84 for 673
RB Demps 78 for 621
RB Moody 58 for 424
5 Combined - 466 for 3,059 = 6.56 ypc

---
RB Moore 29 for 147
RB/KR/PR James 14 for 65
---
Others 36 for 56
==========

QB Richardson
RB Wright
RB Lingard
RB Bowman
RB Johnson
RB Etienne

8 more carries it appears though it should have been more.
Yep, 8 more, just like the stats that I posted showed, had you been paying attention... 🤓
And who should have had less carries, so that DP could get more?

Jones 143 ------- 5.3 ypc
Pierce 100 ------ 5.7 ypc
Davis 92 -------- 5.3 ypc
Wirght 76 ------- 4.3 ypc
Richardson 50 - 7.9 ypc

If you swapped the carries for Jones and Pierce:
Pierce 143
Jones 100
It would have only netted the team .4 x 43 = 17.2 additional yards....
🙄
If you had taken half of Wright's away (38), it would have been 53.2 yds.
You and a few others, should really stop spinning your wheels on this...

Yep, 8 more, just like the stats that I posted showed, had you been paying attention... 🤓
And who should have had less carries, so that DP could get more?

Jones 143 ------- 5.3 ypc
Pierce 100 ------ 5.7 ypc
Davis 92 -------- 5.3 ypc
Wirght 76 ------- 4.3 ypc
Richardson 50 - 7.9 ypc

If you swapped the carries for Jones and Pierce:
Pierce 143
Jones 100
It would have only netted the team .4 x 43 = 17.2 additional yards....
🙄
If you had taken half of Wright's away (38), it would have been 53.2 yds.
You and a few others, should really stop spinning your wheels on this...

All of them should have had less carries in non-garbage time. Pierce was the type to punish and wear down a defense but the coach decided to yank him constantly after some carries. The same coach that really knew what QB should always be out there playing most of the time.

Okay feveredbrains, have it your way, and continue to beat that already long dead horse... 🙄

Last edited:
4-14-22
1 hr before kickoff of Orange & Blue Game

Per Neil Blackmon

Lorenzo Lingard Jr. had a monster camp and is challenging Nay’Quan Wright to start,

and Louisiana transfer Montrell Johnson gives the Gators a nice goal-line package weapon. Another former 5-star, Demarkcus Bowman, also is in the mix.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ll-5-storylines-for-the-orange-and-blue-game/

Hoping the O&B game reflects this !

Go Lorenzo !

With Nay’Quan Wright sitting out as he continues to work his way back from a significant leg injury and

Lorenzo Lingard leaving the game in the first quarter with a hamstring injury,

Louisiana transfer Montrell Johnson carried even more of the load than was initially expected.

Frustrating, especially for Lorenzo as his injury history continues.

Only consolation is that he has plenty of time before fall practice to heal completely.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/notebook-richardson-shines-black-splashes-more-tidbits/

Demarkcus Bowman was busy in the Orange backfield, toting the rock 17 times for 61 yards and catching four passes for 18 yards.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...nts-from-florida-gators-spring-football-game/

Last edited:
Johnson has a little push to him. It wouldn't shock me if he won the top spot. I doubt Bowman or Lingard are the starters but may end up wrong on that.

What I've noticed is the speed in the backfield.

QB AR-15 6-4 237 was clocked at 21 MPH in a 2021 game.
RB Montrell Johnson 5-11.5 217 was clocked at 21 MPH in a 2021 game.
Give either one of those big bodies a crack, and they are gone....

O&B Rushing:
Bowman - 17 for 61 yds, 3.6 ypc, L-9
Johnson - 13 for 55 yds, 4.2 ypc, L-10, 1 TD
Richardson - 6 for 22 yds, 3.7 ypc, L-12, 1 TD
-----

Lingard - 4 for 13 yds, 3.2 ypc, L-8 - (1st Qtr hamstring)
Wilson - 3 for 1 yd, 0.3 ypc, L-7
Kitna - 1 for 4 yds, 4.0 ypc, L-4
Miller III - 1 for -3 yds

I still don't get why anyone wants to add more TE's from the portal???

X - TE Kemore Gamble 6-4 243 - 5th Grad-Sr (xfer's out to UCF)
X - TE Gage Wilcon 6-4 241 rsFr - (Medically Dis-qualified, career over)

1. TE/DE Dante Zanders 6-5 261 rsJr (5 for 56 in O&B)

2. TE/OL/DL Griffin McDowell 6-4 283 rsJr (mostly a blocker)

3. TE Keon Zipperer 6-3 234 Jr (2021 11 for 133 yds - 28 yd/rec in O&B)

4. TE/OLB Noah Keeter 6-5 216 rsSo (3 for 53, L-29, 1 TD in O&B)

5. TE Jonathan Odom 6-5 245 So (torn labrum, back by summer)

6. TE Nick Elksnis 6-6 232 rsFr (broken scapula, back by summer)
-----

7. TE/OT Tony Livingston 6-4 260 Fr

8. TE/Ath Arlis Boardingham 6-4 220 Fr - (freakish athlete, WR, RB, S, OLB)

9. TE Hayden Hansen 6-5 250 Fr - (very under-rated)

QB AR-15 - 18 of 24, 75% for 207 yds, 2 TD's, 0 Ints, + a 12 yd TD run.

QB Miller III - 13 of 23, 56.5% for 121 yds, (5.3/Atp, 9.3/comp), 0 TD's, 1 Int, + 0.3 ypc.
(just me, but I'd be spending more time with Kitna/Wilson now, and really looking forward to the arrival of Max Brown this summer)
=====

O&B Receiving: T-targets, N-number caught

TE Zanders ------ T-5, N-5, for 56 yds, YAC 20*
TE Keeter -------- T-3, N-3, for 53 yds, YAC 42*, 1 TD

---
WR Whittemore T-3, N-3, for 36 yds, YAC 9
WR Shorter ----- T-3, N-3 for 27 yds, YAC 5
RB Bowman ---- T-4, N-4, for 18 yds, YAC 16
TE Zipperer ---- T-2, N-2, for 33 yds, YAC 26*
WR Weston ----- T-1, N-1, for 19 yds, YAC 11, 1 TD
RB Lingard ------ T-1, N-1, for 7 yds, YAC 12
RB Johnson ----- T-1, N-1, for 2 yds, YAC 2

-----
WR Fraziars ----- T-11, N-5, for 53 yds, YAC 24*
WR Henderson - T-5, N-1, for 5 yds, YAC 1
WR Reynolds --- T-3, N-1, for 15 yds, YAC 7
WR Jackson ----- T-2, N-1, for 4 yds, YAC 0

-----
5 Others with T-8, N-0.....

Really good in-depth reads on players and stats can be found here.

Last edited:

QB Anthony Richardson cited for speeding 105 MPH -- W-T-F???​

Florida Gators quarterback Anthony Richardson was cited for speeding last weekin excess of 105 MPH around 4 a.m., an incident report from April 4 and Alachua (Fla.) County court records filed April 5 show. Richardson was stopped by police on Newberry Road in Alachua County — about 10 minutes west of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Florida. Richardson has a name, image and likeness with Gainesville Dodge and was stopped in his 2021 Dodge at the time, records show.

He faces a mandatory court hearing May 25 since his speed range was more than 30 MPH over the legal limit (60 MPH).
(they might need to replace that 'fast car' with a 'smart-er car)

"Certainly at the highest level of football, the quarterback I the face of your origination. They set the greatest example. Their work ethic, their attention to detail, their self discipline in their approach." -- Napier

Former head coach Dan Mullen detailed in November how sky was the limit for Richardson as a talent but that the quarterback had some maturing to do.

But Napier did not mention Richardson's citation this week.

QB Anthony Richardson cited for speeding 105 MPH -- W-T-F???​

Florida Gators quarterback Anthony Richardson was cited for speeding last weekin excess of 105 MPH around 4 a.m., an incident report from April 4 and Alachua (Fla.) County court records filed April 5 show. Richardson was stopped by police on Newberry Road in Alachua County — about 10 minutes west of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Florida. Richardson has a name, image and likeness with Gainesville Dodge and was stopped in his 2021 Dodge at the time, records show.

He faces a mandatory court hearing May 25 since his speed range was more than 30 MPH over the legal limit (60 MPH).
(they might need to replace that 'fast car' with a 'smart-er car)

"Certainly at the highest level of football, the quarterback I the face of your origination. They set the greatest example. Their work ethic, their attention to detail, their self discipline in their approach." -- Napier

Former head coach Dan Mullen detailed in November how sky was the limit for Richardson as a talent but that the quarterback had some maturing to do.

But Napier did not mention Richardson's citation this week.

He got lucky they didn't arrest him for reckless driving which many cops will do with that speed even if case law might not support the arrest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT